PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Question About Runesmiths.

Panda Lord
2009-09-06, 01:52 PM
I have recently been involved in a DnD 3.5 campaign. I am playing a Dwarf Wizard, and I have been eyeing the Runesmith prestige class with much desire. Casting spells in full-plate armor sounds really attractive. However, upon looking at the example runesmith from the book "Races of Stone", I have eyed something quite suspicious:

EDIT: Image Removed...

As you can see from the above image, the sample runesmith has taken the feat Armor Proficiency (Heavy) without the prerequisite feats: Armor Proficiency (Medium) and (Light). He has also not taken any levels in Fighter; he is a level 5 wizard and a level 2 runesmith. How could he have gained Heavy Armor proficiency as a feat without taking its prerequisites? Is there something I am missing? I really want to be able to play a runesmith without taking levels in Fighter, and without taking Armor Proficiency feats I never plan to use (other than heavy, of course).

Eldariel
2009-09-06, 01:57 PM
It's one of the 100000 things wrong with WoTC characters. No use getting tangled over it.

Grumman
2009-09-06, 01:58 PM
A one-level dip in Dragonslayer from the Draconomicon gives you proficiency with all armour and advances your spellcasting. Is that the sort of thing you want?

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-06, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that posting that image is illegal and against the rules of the forum.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-06, 03:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that posting that image is illegal and against the rules of the forum.

Are you 100% on that? I see WotC pictures posted here ALL the time. ALL the time.

daggaz
2009-09-06, 03:10 PM
If you found it on their website, posted by them, you are allowed to link to it. And if its an active link that actually shows the picture instead of just the hypertext, there is nothing whatsoever illegal about that, either.

But yeah... wizards is well past the point where they actually play their own game anymore. They are just selling merchandise... its run by guys in suits with MBA's who never played a RPG in their life. So plenty of crap slips thru the cracks in the rush to the printing presses.

Calmar
2009-09-06, 03:21 PM
Maybe your DM could simply add light and medium or even (heavy) armor proficiency to the PrC.
After all it seems that the concept of a heavy-armored dwarven arcane caster seems to be the concept of this class...

mostlyharmful
2009-09-06, 03:48 PM
Maybe your DM could simply add light and medium or even (heavy) armor proficiency to the PrC.
After all it seems that the concept of a heavy-armored dwarven arcane caster seems to be the concept of this class...

Yes but with a dip to provide the feats and somewhat ofset the bonus of armoured casting (implicitly showing that spells beat melee and that multiclassing sucks for casters but there you go).

Thurbane
2009-09-06, 10:15 PM
So many sample characters, especially PrC examples, fail to qualify it's not even funny. It's so lazy too, something that could have been picked up in 2 minutes by anyone remotely familiar with the game rules proofreading it. :smallconfused:

My favorite one is not mechanical though. The sample Avenging Executioner, Peck the Swan Street Slicer, has the following quote "Scream. Scream like you made me scream!". Later on, he's described as a homeless mute...which leads to a very amusing mental image of him tapping someone on the should and handing them a flashcard with his above quote penciled onto it! :smallbiggrin: