SlaadLord
2009-09-06, 02:14 PM
http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/Albatross%20II.jpg

Waygull
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 7d10 + 21 (59 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 10ft., fly 60ft. (good)
AC: 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: +7/+8
Attack: Talon +8 melee (1d4 + 1)
Full Attack: 2 Talons +8 melee (1d4 + 1) and beak +3 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Curse of the Brine, dire weather
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., eyes on the horizon, low-light vision, traveler's tongue
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 19
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +16, Survival +16
Feats: Ability Focus (Curse of the Brine), Improved Initiative, Self-Sufficient
Environment: Any Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Flock (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Neutral Good
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Medium), 15-21 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Waygulls are often considered by sailors to be good luck. Generally benevolent creatures, waygulls are the answer to the prayers of many a lost captain. Willing and capable of leading ships to port, waygulls sometimes 'adopt' a ship, following it wherever it goes.

Waygulls resemble massive seagulls with grey feathers on their back and wings and white on their bellies. Their eyes shine with an uncanny intelligence. They typically measure six or seven feet from wingtip to wingtip and weigh around 70 pounds. They speak Auran and understand all tongus because of their comprehend languages ability.

Combat
Curse of the Brine (Su): As a standard action three times each week, a waygull can afflict a single individual with a terrible curse. The cursed creature is compelled to submerge itself in the nearest body of water and deliberately allow itself to drown. Affected creatures swim as deep as they can and must begin to make Fortitude checks against drowning immediately. A Will save (DC 19) negates this mind-affecting compulsion effect, as does a remove curse spell.
Dire Weather (Sp): A waygull can duplicate the effects of a Control Weather spell once per week, except that the duration is always 24 hours and the casting time is instead 1 round.
Eyes on the Horizon (Su): A waygull is always unfailingly aware of its own location and the direction in which it is traveling. It cannot get lost, even if magically influenced. Additionally, it is treated as two sizes larger than it actually is for the purpose of determining wind effects. A waygull is constantly protected by an endure elements effect.
Traveler's Tongue (Ex): Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.
Skills: Waygulls gain a +4 racial bonus to Survival checks and a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-06, 03:10 PM
An interesting & well thought-out monster. I like the flavor, & I think that it would make for a good addition to a campaign that features ocean voyages. I remember a pirate campaign that I ran a few years back needed more ship-based encounters, & something like this would've been nice. Kudos.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-06, 03:57 PM
I like it! The melee attacks aren't too powerful, nor does the waygull have many other offensive spells or abilities, which makes me inclined to think that CR 4 or 5 might fit better. On the other hand, Curse of the Brine is quite formidable, and seems better with a higher (7-8) CR, so perhaps your current CR choice is best. :smallsmile:

For some reason, this reminds me of the albatross in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner or whatever that poem was. Along those lines, you may want to have some sort of curse befall any who slay a waygull.

Out of curiousity, why do they get such a high Charisma? Strong force of personality? Very self-aware and individualistic? Just generally pretty creatures?

SlaadLord
2009-09-07, 02:00 PM
For some reason, this reminds me of the albatross in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner or whatever that poem was. Along those lines, you may want to have some sort of curse befall any who slay a waygull.
I considered that, but a one-time curse seemed a bit too limited. That's why I went for the curse as it is now.

Out of curiousity, why do they get such a high Charisma? Strong force of personality? Very self-aware and individualistic? Just generally pretty creatures?
Yes, they are very self-aware and individualistic (despite the fact that seven of them working in concert could screw over a ship in short order), but I also wanted to have Curse of the Brine be especially potent, which balances the frequency of its use.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-07, 09:29 PM
It doesn't have the Aquatic subtype; it is merely a native to aquatic environments, in the sense that it flies over lakes & seas.

EDIT: The person that I was responding to deleted her post. Hmmm.

Debihuman
2009-09-07, 09:48 PM
Because I looked at the environment (not subtype) which was aquatic and realized my error before I saw your post.

Debby

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 10:44 PM
An interesting and flavorful creature. I'd totally love to have a swashbuckling campaign, with a Halfling Paladin riding a Waygull. XD

There's a slight problem with it using Comprehend Languages to understand all tongues, in that they only understand languages when they are touching the target speaking it, so they'd have to go up to whatever creature they wanted to understand and put a wing or beak on 'em, which may not be what you were going for. Having Tongues would mean they'd be able to speak whatever, too, so there isn't a clear cut answer to the quandary. The only way I could see getting around it is by homebrewing an improved Comprehend Languages at 2nd level at Wiz/Sor 2 with a close range or something like it.

SlaadLord
2009-09-07, 11:04 PM
There's a slight problem with it using Comprehend Languages to understand all tongues, in that they only understand languages when they are touching the target speaking it, so they'd have to go up to whatever creature they wanted to understand and put a wing or beak on 'em, which may not be what you were going for. Having Tongues would mean they'd be able to speak whatever, too, so there isn't a clear cut answer to the quandary. The only way I could see getting around it is by homebrewing an improved Comprehend Languages at 2nd level at Wiz/Sor 2 with a close range or something like it.
Or...I could retool it to the following.

Traveler's Tongue: Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.

Simple.

Flickerdart
2009-09-07, 11:13 PM
I dunno, I don't think they should be able to read. Understanding signal flag codes, maybe, and Morse code.

SlaadLord
2009-09-07, 11:50 PM
I dunno, I don't think they should be able to read. Understanding signal flag codes, maybe, and Morse code.
These are man-sized birds. With human intelligence. That can change the weather and make you want to drown yourself. Not to mention being able to understand every language there is, including those rarely spoken on the Material Plane. They can read.

Cieyrin
2009-09-08, 12:50 PM
Or...I could retool it to the following.

Traveler's Tongue: Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.

Simple.

Hey, works for me. I got no issue with Squawky being able to read.:smallbiggrin: