PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 How would you introduce the Dark Sun Elemental Priests into other settings?

Pika...
2009-09-06, 03:30 PM
Basically in my mind, the "great elemental powers" of Dark Sun's setting which either let a PC/NPC die, or save them if they feel they are "worthy" when attempting to get their attention are the Elemental Princes and Princesses from other sources. Just makes sense in my opinion.

Anyway, for those who don't know these "Elemental Priests" are usually thought of as a little nutty by the general population, especially since their way to appeal to these "mysterious" elemental powers is to completely subject themselves to said elemental's power (aka burning yourself at the stake, tying yourself to a rock and drowning yourself, etc).

I figured since the Elemental Princes and Princess are a part of my homebrewed cosmology, and I plan to eventually make them a bigger part once PCs/groups get into higher levels, there should likely be followers/priest/adapts of them on the Prime Material.

So, should a simple % do, with the PC/player being informed of the likely danger? And if failed, well...

p.s. You can read more on the Elemental Princes and Princesses, also known as Archomentals, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archomental

Dixieboy
2009-09-06, 04:13 PM
tying yourself to a rock, and drowning yourself

Sorta fix'd in a very poor attempt at humor.

I don't really understand the question though.
Why the percentage die?

What dangers?

Introducing them seems easy agroup of somewhat nutty priests who do very bad things to themselves to please the "Deities" they worship.

Pika...
2009-09-06, 07:52 PM
Sorta fix'd in a very poor attempt at humor.

I don't really understand the question though.
Why the percentage die?

What dangers?

Introducing them seems easy agroup of somewhat nutty priests who do very bad things to themselves to please the "Deities" they worship.

Many thanks for the obvious correction. :smallredface:

And what I meant was, for PCs. I run a low-magic game, so I am thinking this could be a "quickie" shortcut of sorts. Basically can "gamble" for quick divine-level power, but at a clear risk. Meanwhile this serves as a way for the Archomentals to cherry pick the best possible minions in the hopes of reach true divinity themselves.