PDA

View Full Version : Mythic Contest

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-06, 04:57 PM
This is a contest for 3.5 D&D. You either make a myth for D&D or summarise one in a sourcebook, then make something (a feat, race, prestige class, etc) for it.

Rules:
All entries in by September 27th. All votes in by Oct 4th.

Scoring:
If you make up your own myth: Varies by length.
1 paragraph: +1
2-4 paragraphs: +2
5-9 paragraphs: +4
10+ paragraghs: +8
(note that a paragraph is a paragraph of INFORMATION, not indent.
What you make (per item):
Spell, Item: +0.25
Feat: +0.5
Race: +1
Class: +0.5/class level
Per Vote: +3

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-18, 04:10 PM
You're serious? No one wants to be in this contest?

The Witch-King
2009-09-18, 04:45 PM
This is a contest for 3.5 D&D. You either make a myth for D&D or summarise one in a sourcebook, then make something (a feat, race, prestige class, etc) for it.

Rules:
All entries in by September 27th. All votes in by Oct 4th.

Scoring:
If you make up your own myth: Varies by length.
1 paragraph: +1
2-4 paragraphs: +2
5-9 paragraphs: +4
10+ paragraghs: +8
(note that a paragraph is a paragraph of INFORMATION, not indent.
What you make (per item):
Spell, Item: +0.25
Feat: +0.5
Race: +1
Class: +0.5/class level
Per Vote: +3

A friend and I talked a lot about this contest. Our thought was that the problem was your format. For example you give an extra point for statting a race to go with your submission. So do I get +20 points if I stat out 20 races? If so, then the whole contest is about quantity, not quality. Even if I don't get 20 points for 20 races, giving out extra points for adding in a race or a spell or an item or whatever is a bad idea because it encourages people to just tack on stuff for the sake of points.

I think you might just want to consider letting people do whatever they want as far as submissions and just letting the forum decide who did the best via voting.

Edit: Also, I think the contest might be a bit unfocused. Do you want people to make up something interesting for an existing myth or do you want people to make up their own myths? I think your answer from the contest description is "both" and I think that's a bad idea too. I would suggest that if you just want something to go with an existing myth, that you pick one and make this for example the Norse Mythology Prestige Class Contest and have people make Norse themed Prestige Classes or if you want people to make up their own myths, you might want to say what kind and for example make it the Make Your Own Creation Myth Contest and if people want to stat races or classes or whatever, let them and just leave it up to voting to decide who did the best.

Either way, good luck!

ericgrau
2009-09-18, 05:09 PM
I think it's just unclear. No one wants to enter b/c they hardly understand what's going on and unclear rules reflect on the quality of the challenge itself in people's minds (whether the challenge really is bad or not).

A quantity based point system could be useful if you're trying to make a big book of myths. But instead of making it a competition, every myth could get "yes" or "no" votes on whether people want them included. People could get points based on the number of myths they submit that get accepted. Then point totals are posted for all to see. The idea is not to beat other people's totals, but to give recognition to those that submit many good myths.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-18, 06:35 PM
Okay, I see your points. I consider this thread closed, and would not mind a mod making it that way at all.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-18, 06:59 PM
Well, maybe take some suggestions into consideration and try again? I'd be happy to help you formulate a more workable contest, and I'm sure others would as well.

The Witch-King
2009-09-19, 10:33 AM
Well, maybe take some suggestions into consideration and try again? I'd be happy to help you formulate a more workable contest, and I'm sure others would as well.

Certainly. I'd be glad to lend any assistance I can. Having more good contests around the forum is a good thing. :smile:

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-21, 07:36 PM
I was thinking about dividing it into a couple contests-one for a myth, and one for something to go with the winner/top few/something.