PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Crafting Spell Components

Chrizzt
2009-09-06, 06:42 PM
Hi there folks!

I wonder if it would unbalance the game if one allows characters to "craft" their spell components.

For example, the 2nd level spell Magic Tattoo (or the like) in the Spell Compendium needs Tattoo Ink worth 100 GP (the spell was previously printed in a Forgotten Realms specific book without the spell components cost).

From a fluff-point-of-view, nothing would prevent a character with ranks in Craft(Alchemy) from brewing his own inks, therefore spending some time and 33.33 Goldpieces to craft them. Since there is no DC given for those, the Alchemy Check could be pretty high compared to other alchemical substances, for example 25 or even 30.

While this could make sense for components like the inks mentioned above, it is hard to explain why you could save 2/3 of the 250 GP for diamond dust needed for stone skin by buying diamonds and stomping them to dust by yourself (well... why would diamond dust be more worth than whole diamonds anyway)?). That's just an example where crafting components yourself to save money sounds just ridicilous.

What do you think about using Craft to save some money for SOME components where it could make sense?

Edit: Would you allow it?

rezplz
2009-09-06, 06:44 PM
Logically, I think you could use some kind of craft or profession check to lower the cost of almost any material component. For example, if you had ranks in profession (miner) you could, logically, dig out the diamonds yourself and crush them. It would be a lot of work to save about 100 gold though.

ericgrau
2009-09-06, 08:49 PM
Given the huge time it takes to craft things, and the low amount of money made compared to, say, adventuring, any application thereof is far from broken. That said, I'd just make sure it makes sense for RP reasons before allowing each item.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-06, 08:58 PM
Given the huge time it takes to craft things, and the low amount of money made compared to, say, adventuring, any application thereof is far from broken. That said, I'd just make sure it makes sense for RP reasons before allowing each item.

This, pretty much. The same goes for magic items too. Usually we assume that if you're making a pair of magic boots, you buy the boots and then just enchant them yourself. If you are a tailor, you could save yourself some money on components by actually making the boots themselves from raw materials (how much based on DM's discretion, of course). It's realistic, so if players want to within reason, I'd say go for it.