PDA

View Full Version : Summon Bigger Fish [3.5e, PEACH]

DanielLC
2009-09-06, 07:43 PM
"I cast Summon Bigger Fish (http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adarthsanddroids.net+summon+bigger+ fish)." -- Qui-Gon Jinn

Summon Bigger Fish
Conjuration (Calling) [Water]
Level: Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F, XP
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell summons a hungry creature that can only live underwater. It must be one or two size classes larger than the monster used as a focus, and can have a CR up to two higher. It's CR may not exceed the caster level of the caster. Unlike most summoning spells, the summoned creature will not vanish at the end of the spell, and is under no compulsion to serve you. Hopefully, it will find your opponent more appetizing.

The spell does not need to be cast underwater. It can be used to crush an opponent, block a hallway, open an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, etc. It will not give the fish any special adaptations to land, and the fish will most likely suffocate.

XP Cost
500 XP.

Focus
A creature within the casting range one or two size classes smaller than the monster summoned, and having a challenge rating not more than two lower. Also, a small fishing lure.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-06, 08:38 PM
Hehe, nice. :smallbiggrin:

The wording on creature size is kinda of confusing. I'm sort of sleepy right now though, so sadly I don't have a good suggestion on how to clarify it. I do like the suggestions of how to use the spell. The only things I might suggest would be:
Allow the caster to avoid the xp cost if the creature's CR is one or more below the caster's level.
Specify that the creature will suffocate and have limited movement as usual; they are granted no special immunity to out-of-water circumstances from the spell.

Ponce
2009-09-06, 08:40 PM
Is the fish under the caster's control?

How delicious is it?

Dragon Elite
2009-09-06, 10:07 PM
How many meals does a size large fish serve?

Cieyrin
2009-09-06, 10:44 PM

It's not necessarily large, it's generally bigger than that, if the comic that inspired this is any indication. Plus, going by the comic, it seems a little high level for Qui Gon to be casting, since they treated their characters more or less like gishes of a mid level sort. At the time, I'd think they were capable of maybe 4th level spells, 5th level tops.

With that in mind, I'd do one size larger and maybe reduce the XP cost to 250 XP. That would probably reduce the caster level to Druid 4, Wiz/Sor 5, I'd say, especially since it requires an XP cost.

Also, this needs to be linked: http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0208.html

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

DanielLC
2009-09-06, 11:40 PM
According to the song (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/podcasts/podcast021.html), you can cast it "when you get to level six". Making it... third-and-a-half level?

I made it two sizes larger as that's the point where the larger one can reasonably eat the smaller one. If you summoned one that was only one size class larger, it would probably try to eat you (assuming the spell was cast under water).

I did the XP cost because: A) you can summon a fish up to four times as powerful as you (unless I misunderstood the CR), and B) I need to give it some kind of cost at higher levels, where it can still summon a fish up to four times as powerful. Perhaps I overestimated those problems as A) that fish has a good chance of attacking you, and B) making spells scale with caster level is quite common.

By the way, the strip you linked to isn't canonical. Of course, Summon Bigger Fish isn't an actual spell anyway.

You need a pound of food per day. A large fish weighs about 500 pounds to two tons.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 11:07 AM
I made it two sizes larger as that's the point where the larger one can reasonably eat the smaller one. If you summoned one that was only one size class larger, it would probably try to eat you (assuming the spell was cast under water).

Going by the Swallow Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#swallowWhole) rules, it only needs to be 1 size category bigger to make a meal of something, which I figure is a good benchmark for what Summon Bigger Fish would be aimed at.

By the way, the strip you linked to isn't canonical. Of course, Summon Bigger Fish isn't an actual spell anyway.

Yeah, I know it isn't canonical but it's far more hilarious than the strip it replaces. Plus, a mental image only goes so far before you need something you can actually see and that strip certainly does it. =3

DanielLC
2009-09-07, 04:12 PM
I changed it to one or two sizes.

Also, I specified that they don't gain special abilities to live on land.