PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Feat for my Dragon Shaman

Thurbane
2009-09-07, 02:08 AM
So, my character will be hitting 12th level pretty soon, and I'm debating between two feats, both from the Draconomicon: Clinging Breath or Quicken Breath. Originally I was going to go for Double Draconic Aura (DrM), but the DM would prefer if I stick to the books already in play as sources.

Current feats are: Combat Reflexes, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Intimidating Strike, Maximize Breath, Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Jump), Vexing Flanker

Salt_Crow
2009-09-07, 02:12 AM
How about: Entangling Exhalation from Races of Dragons? (or was it Dragon Magic?). You may find this a much better alternative than the two.

Hat-Trick
2009-09-07, 02:16 AM
From what I can assume from optimization view, Clinging is a good choice and would probably be my vote. Quicken is decent in my eyes, as well, and might be worth getting at some point.

Since you have access to Drac, have you seen the Frightful presence feat? Just need some CHA and intimidate ranks and anything less than you HD is cowed (if they fail the save). Something to consider. I don't think others would agree with me, but if the GM decides to throw a mass of lower CR monsters at you every once in a while, it's golden.

Thurbane
2009-09-07, 02:32 AM
How about: Entangling Exhalation from Races of Dragons? (or was it Dragon Magic?). You may find this a much better alternative than the two.
True, but neither of those are in use as sources. Basically I'm limited to PHB, PHB II and Draconomicon.

@ Hat-Trick - Frightful Presence is an option I hadn't considered. Nice, although does it stack with Intimidating Strike?

Hat-Trick
2009-09-07, 03:37 AM
Not sure, I'll look.

*Dives into somewhat limited Dnd databank*

Nothing says it doesn't, and from what I know, fear stacks, so you should be good.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-09-07, 08:01 AM
Clinging Breath may be a good idea. Since the DS's breath weapon is somewhat limited, you may need damage over time.

Shape Breath (believe it is in Drac.) is a good one. If you are stuck with a line, you can make it a cone :smallcool:

There was another feat that reduced the rounds between uses of the B/W, I think it is in Draconomicon. the name escapes me.

On, and something to increase the DC. Anything to increase the DC.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-07, 09:42 AM
Isn't double draconic aura available at lv. 12?

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:46 AM
What is the rest of your party? It helps to know the power level you have.

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-07, 09:48 AM
Isn't double draconic aura available at lv. 12?

Originally I was going to go for Double Draconic Aura (DrM), but the DM would prefer if I stick to the books already in play as sources.

Soyeahitisnecessarywhitetext.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 10:40 AM
Clinging Breath may be a good idea. Since the DS's breath weapon is somewhat limited, you may need damage over time.

Shape Breath (believe it is in Drac.) is a good one. If you are stuck with a line, you can make it a cone :smallcool:

There was another feat that reduced the rounds between uses of the B/W, I think it is in Draconomicon. the name escapes me.

On, and something to increase the DC. Anything to increase the DC.

Recover Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Recover_Breath,Dr) is what you were thinking of. Ability Focus(Breath Weapon) could potentially be useful, though I don't think +1 to the DC is necessarily a good investment, unless you got nothing better (which the OP clearly does).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-07, 10:58 AM
Ability focus is +2 to DC

Johanas
2009-09-07, 11:35 AM
And there is a Sudden Ability Focus for an additional +2. I would say the Frightful Presence for a little extra fun, in AND out of combat. Although of the original 2, Clinging Breath would be my choice. Quicken just makes you wait TOO long to use it again, sort of a one-trick pony.

Thurbane
2009-09-07, 04:37 PM
What is the rest of your party? It helps to know the power level you have.
Indeed, I should clarify: me (Human DS 11), Dwarf Fighter 11, Halfling Druid 11, Goblin Beguiler 11 & Deep Dwarf Monk 11...