PDA

View Full Version : Hissing cockroach pair

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 09:17 AM
Okay, I'm looking to buy some Hissing Cockroach nymphs (babies) and I want a mating pair (male and female) but I also want them to be young so they can learn to love me. I'm probably gonna buy them from the Invert Shop (http://www.theinvertshop.com) but they just sell you random pairs, so, does anyone know where I can buy a mating pair of Madagascar hiss roaches

V'icternus
2009-09-07, 09:51 AM
No, but I know a guy who sells lizards that love eating the little blighters. They just snap 'em up in one bite, then swallow their little legs down. It's creepy, but somewhat entertaining. Until you realise that the creepiness of it made you back up near his snakes, or his baby freshwater crocodile that I just know is looking at me like that because it beleives I would be very tasty.

RS14
2009-09-07, 10:16 AM
Are you sure it is easy to sex the nymphs? I know tarantulas (my favorite arthropod) don't exhibit sexual dimorphism until they reach adulthood, so you may just need an adult pair.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 10:51 AM
The males have bumps on their heads, the females do not. That simple

Perenelle
2009-09-07, 11:36 AM
:smalleek: why cockroaches exactly?

RS14
2009-09-07, 11:39 AM
I did some googling; this source (http://happyhissers.com/Hisser%20information.html) asserts that "The ventral plate on the underside of the abdomen is narrower on the males then on the females. This is the only way to sex nymphs." Since this is a less common method, many suppliers may simply not have the ability to sex nymphs.

Edit: @^: Because tarantulas bite. :smallamused:

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 11:44 AM
Dang, I want a mating pair so they will breed, but adults won't like me

RS14
2009-09-07, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure arthropods don't show much affection anyway.

Vmag
2009-09-07, 11:53 AM
:smalleek: why cockroaches exactly?

They're Nature's Vacuum Cleaners, picking up bits of dirty and organic material that you've neglected to clean up and keeping the place just a little cleaner. Sure, roaches may be a sign of a filthy home, but that's because they're helping with picking it up.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 11:54 AM
From what the people online say, they do (they will hiss when you touch them if they don't like/know you. They will crawl all over you if they like/know you)

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-07, 12:00 PM
From what the people online say, they do (they will hiss when you touch them if they don't like/know you. They will crawl all over you if they like/know you)

lolz :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-09-07, 12:01 PM
Well, just remember to keep 'em contained.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-07, 12:02 PM
this thread is a pure lolfest

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 01:23 PM
lolz :smalltongue:

but aren't you a person on the internet

Kurien
2009-09-07, 01:27 PM
Hmm, I think I would prefer a praying mantis to a hissing cockroach. I'm not sure, but I think they don't bite. Besides, they would totally own a cockroach in one-to-one combat any day.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-07, 01:31 PM
Hmm, I think I would prefer a praying mantis to a hissing cockroach. I'm not sure, but I think they don't bite. Besides, they would totally own a cockroach in one-to-one combat any day.
A praying mantis doesn't... dude, they freaking hurt worse than any insect I've been bitten by and that's saying a lot.

They're cool as heck, but do NOT get near their munchers. They chew through beetle shells here.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 01:40 PM
A praying mantis doesn't... dude, they freaking hurt worse than any insect I've been bitten by and that's saying a lot.

They're cool as heck, but do NOT get near their munchers. They chew through beetle shells here.

true, very true. I bought some before and gave 'em away, nasty bunch of blighters

Limerence
2009-09-07, 01:46 PM
Ew. I know this has been asked before but: Why cockroaches again?

Nerd-o-rama
2009-09-07, 01:51 PM
I can understand pet cockroaches, but are you sure you want a breeding pair? I mean, rodents are bad enough...

RS14
2009-09-07, 01:56 PM
People, hissing cockroaches are totally different from the roaches you've grown up around. They're slower, larger (read: easier to see), and non-flying. They hiss (cool!). Think of them as big hissing beetles.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 02:11 PM
People, hissing cockroaches are totally different from the roaches you've grown up around. They're slower, larger (read: easier to see), and non-flying. They hiss (cool!). Think of them as big hissing beetles.

this.
Also, They are clean and are just as likely to hold diseases as that monarch butterfly thing

Jack Squat
2009-09-07, 02:16 PM
They also spit.

They would make a decent conversation piece though. Especially if anyone else remembers that powerpuff girls episode with Roach Coach.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 02:18 PM
They also spit.

They would make a decent conversation piece though. Especially if anyone else remembers that powerpuff girls episode with Roach Coach.

What in sam-hell is a powerpuff? I believe you mean powderpuff, like in football?

RS14
2009-09-07, 02:19 PM
A TV show. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerpuffGirls)

Edit: This source (http://www.angelfire.com/in/ghcfaq/) has photos of the ventral plates. If you can find a local supplier, you can probably ask to sex the nymphs yourself, using the photos as a reference.

Pika...
2009-09-07, 02:22 PM
Okay, I'm looking to buy some Hissing Cockroach nymphs (babies) and I want a mating pair (male and female) but I also want them to be young so they can learn to love me. I'm probably gonna buy them from the Invert Shop (http://www.theinvertshop.com) but they just sell you random pairs, so, does anyone know where I can buy a mating pair of Madagascar hiss roaches

Eww eww eww. :smalleek:

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 02:25 PM
That's disturbing, extremely so

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-07, 02:31 PM
but aren't you a person on the internet

Yes, but not one who says cockroaches show affection.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 02:34 PM
Yes, but not one who says cockroaches show affection.

But don't dogs show affection? Maybe, I say they don't. We both have our opinions

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-07, 02:48 PM
I've owned Madagascan hissing cockroaches, and they aren't going to show you affection, no matter what you do. They just don't have the emotional capacity, or the mental ability to recognize you, or anything.
Just sayin', if you want to mate 'em, you might as well buy adult.

Innis Cabal
2009-09-07, 02:53 PM
Where as a dog has the emotional capacty to keep going to the same place for food at the very least, if not some basic empathic understanding of human emotions. We've only evolved with them since the dawn of time, it was bound to happen eventually. Where as with most insects we've spent a similar ammount of time killing them. They've seemed not to hold much of a grudge.

Faceist
2009-09-07, 02:56 PM
But don't dogs show affection? Maybe, I say they don't. We both have our opinionsYeah, but his is right.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-07, 02:59 PM
Sure, we both have our opinions. But yours is easily disproved.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 03:09 PM
Its not really emotions that I'm talking about, I mean . . . If you handle them more when they are young, they won't freak out when you pick 'em up.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-07, 03:12 PM
Its not really emotions that I'm talking about, I mean . . . If you handle them more when they are young, they won't freak out when you pick 'em up.

You DID say "like" and "affectionate", which is an emotional response.
See, had you said you from the start you were conditioning them to be handled, well, that's a horse of a different color.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 03:16 PM
You DID say "like" and "affectionate", which is an emotional response.
See, had you said you from the start you were conditioning them to be handled, well, that's a horse of a different color.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but yeah, I wana hold and play with them

Vmag
2009-09-07, 03:44 PM
I mean, rodents are bad enough...

You mean like rabbits and capybaras and mice? I'm sorry, but rats aren't as filthy as conventional wisdom make them out to be, even wild ones. They don't even carry rabies, yo. What we got here is a bunch of out-dated old-world prejudices.

This is going to be a bit controversial, but, if rodents are bad enough... why blacks?

Perenelle
2009-09-07, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but yeah, I wana hold and play with them

you want to hold and play with cockroaches? Okay I've heard everything now... :smalltongue:

how big do these cockroaches get, just out of curiosity?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 03:53 PM
you want to hold and play with cockroaches? Okay I've heard everything now... :smalltongue:

how big do these cockroaches get, just out of curiosity?

Well, the ones I'm getting grow to 3 inches long

Perenelle
2009-09-07, 03:58 PM
Well, the ones I'm getting grow to 3 inches long

wow. I was expecting maybe 2 inches at the most.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 03:59 PM
wow. I was expecting maybe 2 inches at the most.

Though, I might get the GIANT hisser which grows to double the length

Pika...
2009-09-07, 04:39 PM
Well, I once tried tracking a fishery near here so I could try getting a Giant Isopod:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=2hR&um=1&sa=1&q=giant+sea+isopod&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 04:44 PM
Well, I once tried tracking a fishery near here so I could try getting a Giant Isopod:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=2hR&um=1&sa=1&q=giant+sea+isopod&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0
Can those survive out of water? I so want one now

RS14
2009-09-07, 04:49 PM
They're sea creatures. You would need an aquarium to keep one for any length of time. Apparently it needs to be kept cooled to ~4 C, which is prohibitively expensive.

Also, I hear that they are rather dull.

Perenelle
2009-09-07, 05:04 PM
Though, I might get the GIANT hisser which grows to double the length

:smalleek: have fun with that...

Pika...
2009-09-07, 05:11 PM
They're sea creatures. You would need an aquarium to keep one for any length of time. Apparently it needs to be kept cooled to ~4 C, which is prohibitively expensive.

Also, I hear that they are rather dull.

Really?

Where did you get this information? I was never able to find out anything about them.

p.s. Why would -4 be "prohibitively expensive"?

Kurien
2009-09-07, 07:11 PM

I see. Then I am mistaken in believing that they do not bite. It's just that the youtube videos I've seen have never shown them biting, only catching prey or being held in the palm of someone's hand. I guess those videos don't show the darker side of them. They are still cool though.

Those isopods at first glance look like some kind of headcrab! Those would probably freak out or at least unsettle most people I know :smallamused:.

Trog
2009-09-07, 08:37 PM

:roach: I volunteer for mating duty!

Pika...
2009-09-07, 08:43 PM
:roach: I volunteer for mating duty!

Eeek! :smalleek:

*Rolls up old newspaper*

Anuan
2009-09-08, 12:11 AM
You mean like rabbits and capybaras and mice? I'm sorry, but rats aren't as filthy as conventional wisdom make them out to be, even wild ones. They don't even carry rabies, yo. What we got here is a bunch of out-dated old-world prejudices.

This is going to be a bit controversial, but, if rodents are bad enough... why blacks?

That was just a **** move.
I think they were talking about the way rodents breed, by the way, considering the context in which the question was asked.

Jade_Tarem
2009-09-08, 01:00 AM

Rabies? Maybe not. But IIRC, rats played a big role in bringing the black death to Europe. Fleas may have been the technical carrier, but rats were involved. That's the kind of scandal that no amount of PR fixes. :smalltongue:

Also, most wild animals that dwell in civilization are going to be pretty gross, germ wise. Imagine never, ever taking a bath, and then going all the places rats usually go.

That's your basic rat.

Coidzor
2009-09-08, 01:08 AM
What exactly do you mean blacks, vmag?

Also, mice poop is disgusting. I just discovered an infestation of field mice in my dad's office in the church. ...that....that was pretty horrible.

Though, thankfully, at least one of the cats was able to catch one of the mice. That means there's two of them still on the loose.

Gonna have to set some traps out or something....

RS14
2009-09-08, 01:19 AM
I see. Then I am mistaken in believing that they do not bite. It's just that the youtube videos I've seen have never shown them biting, only catching prey or being held in the palm of someone's hand. I guess those videos don't show the darker side of them. They are still cool though.

You know, wikimedia also has this photo (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phoneutria_nigriventer.jpg) of someone with a Brazilian Wandering Spider on their arm. Some people just seem to have no fear of being bit. :smallamused:

Pika...: The temperature of approx. 4 C is apparently what the UK Aquarium (National Marine Aquarium?) kept their isopods at. I found this in an article through google. There was also a useful thread at arachnoboards; try google, particularly with the genus Bathynomus.

It sounds as if you can disregard the talk about pressurized tanks; they appear to adapt fine to lower pressure.