PDA

View Full Version : Charities

Reinholdt
2009-09-07, 02:32 PM
For reasons I'll be keeping to myself, I'm looking for a charity or two to donate money to. I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this out here and ask for suggestions on the matter. So bring up a charity you might like to show to others or suggest to me.

Some things to talk about:

Name
What the cause is
What they do to work towards the cause
Where (geographically) they concentrate their work
Where the money goes (I would like to know expenditure habits if it's known)
Contact information

Some things not to talk about:

Politics
Religion
Why a cause is superior/inferior to another. Don't do this.

In particular, I am looking for charities that combat the rising sexual slavery trade. But feel free to post about any charities you wish.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-07, 03:00 PM
Charity, located in Australia:smalltongue:

Lolzords
2009-09-07, 03:03 PM
The Lolzords' pocket fund.

In all seriousness, Help for Heroes is probably my favourite charity, along with the RSPCA. Of course unless you live in Britian they probably won't be much use to you.

All the money that goes towards Help for Heroes is used to help British soldiers wounded in the current conflicts.

The states probably has its own version of it, though. (Sorry if you're not from the states, just assuming).

Castaras
2009-09-07, 03:29 PM
Charity, located in Australia:smalltongue:

UK*

He's a british dude. :P

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-07, 03:32 PM
*pouts*
But...But...
*pouts*

>.>
<,<

Lord Herman
2009-09-07, 03:45 PM
Crying won't save you now, Dallas. You were wrong, so you'll have to leave the playground. Goodbye.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-07, 03:46 PM
Awww, bye all. *hugs peoples* I'l miss you all!
*sails away onto the vast oceans, all alone*

Ichneumon
2009-09-07, 03:53 PM
I'd say go help people/animals/nature/any other good cause yourself instead of donating money to large corporations. Donating money is rather ineffective, in most cases, as many of the large corporations spend a lot on public relations and small campaigns that sell well in the media, but don't make any real change. Furthermore, donating money is an effective way of getting rid of your guilt instead of doing something yourself. If you want to make real change, donate to something small and local and become active in it yourself.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 04:05 PM
Pimp slaps Lord Herman "I will save you, cookiee monster"

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-09-07, 04:08 PM
http://crs.org/bosnia-herzegovina/protection-from-trafficking/

Reinholdt
2009-09-07, 04:27 PM
I'd say go help people/animals/nature/any other good cause yourself instead of donating money to large corporations. Donating money is rather ineffective, in most cases, as many of the large corporations spend a lot on public relations and small campaigns that sell well in the media, but don't make any real change. Furthermore, donating money is an effective way of getting rid of your guilt instead of doing something yourself. If you want to make real change, donate to something small and local and become active in it yourself.
I agree with you... to a degree. But regardless of accuracy of the statements, if you'll note what cause in particular I'm interested in, something small and local which I can become active in becomes incredibly difficult unless I'm located in a hot spot area for it. Which I'm not. Not saying I can't do anything nearby, such as raising public awareness of the issue. Just saying what I can do is limited in comparison to other causes.

@ Bonecrusher Doc - That is definitely what I'm looking for. I'll read through the site and do some more research. Thanks.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-07, 04:33 PM
I agree with you... to a degree. But regardless of accuracy of the statements, if you'll note what cause in particular I'm interested in, something small and local which I can become active in becomes incredibly difficult unless I'm located in a hot spot area for it. Which I'm not. Not saying I can't do anything nearby, such as raising public awareness of the issue. Just saying what I can do is limited in comparison to other causes.

@ Bonecrusher Doc - That is definitely what I'm looking for. I'll read through the site and do some more research. Thanks.

Also, since you are interested in stopping slavery, You could get killed if you went over there and tried to stop it

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-07, 04:56 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I don't think this can happen here. Too many potential charities are inherently religious or political. Also, having people tell other posters where to send their money (whether that's to a fellow poster or to a charity of some kind) is kind of troubling.

I appreciate the good intentions, but I don't think we can do this particular thing here.