PDA

View Full Version : Dashing Swordsman and Armor

kpenguin
2009-09-07, 05:18 PM
So, I assume by "armor interferes with my class abilities", Elan is referring to his Dashing Swordsman class abilities and not his bardic powers, which work while in armor even if bard spells make them go wonky.

I guess this makes sense, in a way. The whole swasbuckler image usually does not include a chainmail shirt.

Zanaril
2009-09-07, 05:20 PM
Maybe he should get a big hat. With a feather.

It would keep the sun off. :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-07, 05:23 PM
No, it's usually an open linen shirt.

http://www.badgersden.com/Store/images/clothingmen/swordsmanshirt.gif

silvadel
2009-09-07, 06:44 PM
Maybe he gets to use his charisma bonus for his AC with no armor like he can use his charisma bonus for his Str when using a rapier and rapier wit.

Acero
2009-09-07, 09:31 PM
Maybe he gets to use his charisma bonus for his AC with no armor like he can use his charisma bonus for his Str when using a rapier and rapier wit.

Elan's damage dealt comes directly from CHA. str has nothing to do with it

Ichneumon
2009-09-08, 12:01 AM
This reminds be of the bare-chested soulknife "swashbuckler" I once had.

Morquard
2009-09-08, 01:17 AM
Elan's damage dealt comes directly from CHA. str has nothing to do with it
Yeah that was exactly what you quoted... he uses his CHA instead of his STR as would be normal

Hardcore
2009-09-08, 01:28 AM
Cool then he get a CHa belt! Others just get better weapons but Elan...
Also note in what neat manner Burlew revelead what item Elan bought; making a good joke and showing Elan doing it his way.

i6uuaq
2009-09-08, 02:00 AM
I assumed that the armor interfered with his invisibility...

whitelaughter
2009-09-08, 09:36 AM
Maybe he should get a big hat. With a feather

YES! This would be awesome.

Shale
2009-09-08, 10:04 AM
Been there, done that. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0377.html)

Trobby
2009-09-08, 10:20 AM
Of course the armor interferes with his invisibility, but he's always had that power. So that's clearly not what he's referring to. :p

No, this is probably one of those "limited armor" classes, like the Monk or *I believe* the duelist, and wearing armor will reduce his effectiveness in battle.

Though he MIGHT be getting a special bonus for wearing no armor, so he could be making it up in some other way.

krossbow
2009-09-08, 12:45 PM
Here's the thing. Light armor can't interere with elan's spellcasting from the bard class; because of this, it has to be a special addendum from the dashing swordsman.

However, here's the issue. Where does elan's ac come from now? If he was allowed to add his intelligence to ac like the invisible blade prestige class, or wisdom to ac like the monk he'd be completely, utterly hosed, as he obviously has really low stats in those two areas. If he could add his charisma modifier to his ac, then the dashing swordsman would be the most broken class ever due to getting basically everything from a single stat.

The most logical thing here is that the dashing swordsman class was set up specifically for people coming from being a bard beforehand, and gives you an ac bonus based on the number of bard levels you possess (similiar to how blackguards gain abilities depending on how many levels of paladin they possess), perhaps half your bard level as ac or something.

Shale
2009-09-08, 01:07 PM
Wait, bard levels are more logical than DEX?

Trobby
2009-09-08, 01:30 PM
Wait, bard levels are more logical than DEX?

The only problem with adding a Dex bonus to AC would be that you ALREADY get a dexterity bonus for your AC. Thus, it would effectively double any Dex bonus to AC and, again, be broken.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Elan's new usefulness is largely based on his ability to quip and be dazzling with his movie-esque stunts. Maybe by wearing armor, he would lose his ability to be action-guy, as well as his Cha bonus to attack?

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-08, 01:37 PM
Of course armor negates his +3 chest hair....:smallsmile:

Shale
2009-09-08, 01:45 PM
Oh, in addition to DEX. That makes more sense. I thought you were talking about some stat replacing DEX for AC bonuses, like his CHA replaces STR on damage rolls.

Maybe Dashing Swordsman includes a "plot armor" ability that allows unarmored fighters to sustain brutal wound after brutal wound and still keep fighting back? Like Only A Flesh Wound (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlyAFleshWound) as a passive skill.