PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]I need some suggestions~

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 06:16 PM
I'm about to make a character for a new campaign this Friday(dunno if we will actually play that day) and I need some help.

Some background on this campaign:

It is in a custom setting with custom deities, all standard D&D deities are gone(or are being banished at the time) except for IO and are being replaced by new ones. The world is currently post apocalyptic with very little magic of any kind, as the connection to all magic has been severed. All casters who rely on spell slots can only refill their daily quota by drinking some type of liquid that is so powerful that it induces what is called "the wreck" on the drinker. The wreck magically ages the drinker(but only slightly) and can even sometimes produce hazardous physical damage. Due to this, very few casters are left in the world and magic items are extremely rare(will probably cost like 2 or 3 times as much).In addition, random areas are now dead magic zones. We start off as level 1 and are basically just trying to make ends meet in this horrid time.

On the party: I was first thinking of artificer for this campaign, but the whole "no magic" was a secret between us and I promised not to let it influence my character choice. So, I'm not going to take advantage of it by using a character who would do perfectly fine in this world. My other party members so far may be:A LG Paladin, a TN Paladin(:smalleek: Don't ask me, some "pally of law" crap), and some custom racial progression Nymph(I don't expect it to be powerful). I will probably get another team mate, but I dunno what that'll be. In addition, the Nymph may play a druid instead(not knowing the magic thing).

Finally, the character:My DM knows I like to play big monsters(must have been from growing up on GODZILLA!) and has made a deal with me. I can ignore LA on all monsters as long as its HD is greater. Now, I'm pretty sure I know what you are thinking "Why not just go TOB?". Well, my DM personally thinks TOB is OP(though he agrees casters are stronger than beat sticks), but he'll let me play one. However, my group seems to absolutely despise TOB for its power and they disagree on the whole caster v.s. melee debate. To keep my group happy(:smallfurious:), I won't play a TOB character. So, I need your help on selecting a good monster to use based on HD.

At first I thought Sarrukh, but the easily abused power is too tempting. Then I thought of an Arcanoloth, but I'm not sure. Obviously I want an outsider or dragon(though monstrous humanoid isn't that bad, despite the 2+ int skills).

Any suggestions?

All books are cool(3.0-3.5)
3rd party can be used, but I'd like to dodge it unless there is something REALLY cool in it.

Kylarra
2009-09-07, 06:19 PM
What level/ECL are you starting out as?

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 06:21 PM
What level/ECL are you starting out as?

We start off at level 1

Indon
2009-09-07, 06:23 PM
Trolls have +12 strength, +4 dexterity, +12 constitution, -4 int, -2 wis, -4 cha, and Regeneration 5/Fire and Acid, for 6 (giant) HD and 5 LA.

If you're starting from ECL 1 and want to play an HD/LA race, you'll probably need something like a progression from Savage Species. Luckily, Trolls are detailed in that book.

Edit: Oh, they're also Large, have two claw attacks and a rend, Darkvision, and +5 natural armor. Here, you read it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm).

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 07:03 PM
Trolls have +12 strength, +4 dexterity, +12 constitution, -4 int, -2 wis, -4 cha, and Regeneration 5/Fire and Acid, for 6 (giant) HD and 5 LA.

If you're starting from ECL 1 and want to play an HD/LA race, you'll probably need something like a progression from Savage Species. Luckily, Trolls are detailed in that book.

Edit: Oh, they're also Large, have two claw attacks and a rend, Darkvision, and +5 natural armor. Here, you read it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm).

Yeah, I considered the good ol' Troll, but I'd like something a bit different. Though, they will always be a consideration

Indon
2009-09-07, 07:11 PM
Wyrmling Dragon?

Black: 4 HD, 3 LA
Blue: 6/4
Red: 7/4
White: 3/2
Silver: 7/4

Etc.

Some of the Very Youngs would also work.

Be aware that as an extremely young dragon, you would gain large amounts of HD every few years, which would interfere with your ECL.

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 07:18 PM
Wyrmling Dragon?

Black: 4 HD, 3 LA
Blue: 6/4
Red: 7/4
White: 3/2
Silver: 7/4

Etc.

Some of the Very Youngs would also work.

Be aware that as an extremely young dragon, you would gain large amounts of HD every few years, which would interfere with your ECL.

Technically, I would be ditching the LA. However, the stat adjustments aren't really that great. I realize the whole "not many class levels" thing is a big thing and I may be underpowered, but look at my party! Paladins being tier 5 and all, being outclassed isn't really a fear.

Kylarra
2009-09-07, 07:27 PM
Play a hound archon. :smallbiggrin:

PinkysBrain
2009-09-07, 07:33 PM
Ya, I agree ... play something with natural flight and a nice selection of spell like abilities, and throw some templates on until the LA is equal to RHD-1 :)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-07, 07:42 PM
If you want a Dragon and want to be able to progress that dragon i advise you look at Dragon magazine 320. it uses the rules set forth in Savage species and creates a 20 level class to play any of the metalic Dragons. . . pg 36. You could alternate class level and dragon levels. Its pretty cool.

Dragon magazine 332 has the evil dragons if your intersted in that.

It's 3rd party but it uses the rules in Savage species so it should be ok.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-07, 08:13 PM
Since he can ignore the LA he doesn't need a savage progression.

quick_comment
2009-09-07, 08:27 PM
Since he can ignore the LA he doesn't need a savage progression.

Yes he does, unless he chooses a monster with 1 racial hit dice, which gets replaced by a class level anyway.

Half Dragon Half Troll Half Ilithitd Half Fey Phrenic Half Celestial Half Fiendish Saintly Force dragon (with racial progression class)?

PinkysBrain
2009-09-07, 08:35 PM
I meant with Dragons.

PS. well I guess you would need a progression upto normal Wyrmling HD, but after that everything is simply determined by HD ... the Dragon progression is the character progression.

quick_comment
2009-09-07, 08:40 PM
Also, if you just want to play something "big", go ogre into psychic warrior.

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 09:21 PM
throw some templates on until the LA is equal to RHD-1 :)

Holy crap, I seriously didn't think of this....

Brilliant!

Yes he does, unless he chooses a monster with 1 racial hit dice, which gets replaced by a class level anyway.

Technically, my DM just says I have to play out the HD until I have as many HD as everyone else. So I could play at level 1(I believe, may have to run it by the DM) with all of the goodies of a Sarrukh and such.

I BELIEVE this is how my DM is running it.