PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Entrance Match Gaurd Juris vs. Lvl 1 Shaman

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 08:27 PM
Alright, here we go. I'd like 4 buff rounds. I'll let you choose the map.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 08:32 PM
Buff Rounds are cool with me and if it's okay we'll use the forest:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena2i.gif

Temperature is 60 degrees F ok with you?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 08:38 PM
Lovely. A brisk fall day. I'll start in blue.

All day buffs

Endure Elements
Mage Armor
Superior Resistance
Contingent Energy Resistance

Buff Rounds [4]

Round 1
Activate Bead of Karma

Round 2
Veil of Undeath

Round 3
Read scroll of Sublime Revelry
Caster Level Check [roll0]

Round 4
Cast Eyes of the Oracle

Move action: Draw scroll of End to Strife

Readied action: Read scroll if my opponent moves within 80'

Initiative: [roll1]

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 08:51 PM
Buffs
Alldays-
1- Arcane Spellsurge, Extended Arcane Fusion (Shield and Displacement)
2- Arcane Fusion (Mirror Images and Mage Armor), Extended Arcane Fusion (Displacement and Reduce Person)
3- Arcane Fusion (Control Temperature and Grease on myself), See Invisibility
4-

Initiative [roll0]

I'll be in red then, Y10

There's a sudden shift in temperature, it suddenly feels like bitter winter.

Images [roll1]

After my 1st turn, make a Fort Save DC15 or take nonlethal cold damage 1d6 If you take damage from it, you are fatigued and then frostbitten (-2 Dex penalty) Save again 10minutes later.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 08:58 PM
I walk to d9 to get line of sight. What do I see with normal vision? Also, exactly how cold is it now? Does the river instantly freeze or anything like that?

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 09:58 PM
You see a group of 9 icy-blue skinned kobolds flickering, they all appear to be unarmed.

The temperature is 0 degrees F, severe cold, however I do not believe that the water freezes right away, however the water is now ice-cold, if you are immersed in it, you must make a Fort Save or take 1d6 nonlethal cold damage

Is that your whole turn?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:02 PM
Nope, just my move action.

You see a tall, bald man in simple gray robes creeping into sight past the thick oak, walking to the river bank and peering across at you. He looks concerned at what he sees. His arms motion around in the act of spellcasting and he blinks out of sight (let me know if you can see invis, or want to roll spellcraft to tell what spell I cast).

Observers only:
Swift etherealness, once ethereal activate psionic tattoo of Greater Concealing Amorpha. Readied action to cast Force Ward if a force effect targets me.

End turn.

sofawall
2009-09-07, 10:14 PM
WORD OF DMS

A few lacks of kosher here.

1) Gaurd Juris only, as it contains info on something he did that you do not know about, Sharnian. I'd rather not give it away, just yet. Readying an action may not have been explicitly banned when we defined Buff Rounds, but it was an oversight, we assure you. No readying actions in the Buff Rounds. It will be posted by Tide on the main thread, but thought I'd say so here.

2) Control Weather Temperature was cast in the buff round, and it effected the other side of the field. This is called out as not allowed. The weather on Sharnian's side of the field remains cold, the other side is not.

It was decided that it will remain that for rest of the fight, as well. We considered allowing it to migrate on Sharnian's initiative, but that could lead to abuse where a bunch of arena altering spells (Control Winds etc.) are cast in the buff rounds, then they all smack down on the opponent at once. Seeing as how that exact type of thing lead to the nerf of Glyphs and Runes, all those fun things, this stays nerfed.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:15 PM
I have See Invisibility and would like to Spellcraft it [roll0]

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:16 PM
Ok then, I'm fine with that, however it was Control Temperature, not weather. I don't want him accidentally thinking I was a Druid now would I?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:17 PM
WORD OF DMS

A few lacks of kosher here.

1) Gaurd Juris only, as it contains info on something he did that you do not know about, Sharnian. I'd rather not give it away, just yet. Readying an action may not have been explicitly banned when we defined Buff Rounds, but it was an oversight, we assure you. No readying actions in the Buff Rounds. It will be posted by Tide on the main thread, but thought I'd say so here.

DMs:
Eyes of the Oracle allows me to ready an extra action each turn. I think in light of this specific benefit, I should be allowed to ready my action. However, since my readied action wasn't triggered, it's irrelevant. Anyway, constant vigilance.

Sharn:

It was swift etherealness, and since you can see me floating on the ethereal plane, you also see me reach into my robes and cause a strange, gray amorphous blob to surround and totally conceal me. You auto spellcraft it as a Greater Concealing Amorpha.

sofawall
2009-09-07, 10:18 PM
WORD OF DMS

If either of you would like to restart the match based on that info, you may ask for it.

Gaurd Juris: Your UMD result is still a failure, though, even if you restart. :P

EDIT: Yes, we were just calling it out. Irrelevant now, but may be relevant later.

EDIT: Bah, I forgot to look at what spell you were actually using. Oh well.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:24 PM
I don't know that spell, does it stop line of sight/effect for spells?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:27 PM
It gives me total concealment. You can still tell what square I'm in, though, due to the visibility of the amorpha itself. I don't believe it blocks line of effect, but it does block line of sight as far as I can tell.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:40 PM
Spellcraft DC20/21
Arcane Fusion (Burning Blood and True Strike on myself), Extended Viscid Glob

Your blood feels like it's boiling and you see a glob of some kind of glue flying towards you.

Make Fort Save DC 23 or take 2d8 cold damage and be only able to take 1 move action. Keep making saves for the next 15 turns after that

Reflex Save DC24 or only be able to take purely mental actions for the next 32 hours. Breaking out is a Strength or Escape Artist check DC 24 as a fullround action

Your turn.

In that order

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:46 PM
Spellcraft Check: [roll0]
Spellcraft Check: [roll1] (glue)

Fort Save: [roll2]
Ref Save: [roll3]

You probably can't target me with these effects since I am still on the ethereal plane, unless they are abjurations or force effects... or if you're greater blinking. hmmm...

Are you greater blinking?

spellcraft [roll]d20+21[roll]

And do you have the line of sight necessary to target me?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:48 PM
Wow, talk about epically bad rolling.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:49 PM
I am not, and neither are so it fails I suppose unless I can redo my turn

Btw lol on 2 natural 1s

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:51 PM
Yeah, you'd have the spellcraft to know that you can't target me, so you can take those moves back.

EDIT: You forgot to roll your ranged touch for Viscid Glob as well. And neglected to mention that I'd still be able to speak if globbed by it.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-07, 10:55 PM
siNce you auto succeed on spellcraft all my spells,

Extended Arcane Fusion- True Strike and Dimension Door to B9
Wings of Flurry [roll0]
Reflex Save DC23 for 1/2 damage and negate 1 round daze
It's force effect so should affect you

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 10:57 PM
I have a readied action to cast Force Ward if targeted by a force effect, so I am not effected by Wings of Flurry.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 11:02 PM
I float on over to g12 then ready an action to read my scroll when I drop back onto the material.

At the end of my turn, I drop back onto the material and read my scroll.

Level check: [roll0]

Spellcraft DC 24
End to Strife

Observers only:
Damage on End to Strife is set to nonlethal

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-07, 11:03 PM
Thank god not a 1!

You become suddenly aware that any hostile action on your part will be met with dire consequences. As in, if you make any form of attack (DM rules that anything that would end the spell Invisibility counts) something bad will happen to you.

End turn.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 06:28 AM
God, streamers?!?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 09:51 AM
No, not streamers.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 06:04 PM
Spellcraft [roll0]

Can you dismiss it,

or

Can I dispel it?

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 06:19 PM
Greater Dispel Magic, targeted against End to Strife, [roll0]

Extended Arcane Fusion (Dimension Door to Z20 and True Strike)

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:11 PM
I move to g14 and cast Blasphemy, Caster Level 16.

Unless you are evil or have more than 16 hit dice, you are dazed.

If you're non-evil and have fewer than 16 HD, reduce your STR by [roll0] for [roll1] rounds.

If you're unlucky enough to be non-evil and have 11 or fewer HD, welcome to [roll2] minutes of paralyziation.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:15 PM
Is that damage or penalty?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:19 PM
The spell says your STR score decreases. I don't believe it's damage or a penalty, just a fact of life. DMs can adjucate this, though.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-08, 07:26 PM
It's an ability penalty, I'd say.

Gaurd Juris... you do realize that End to Strife affects you too, right? You trigger the spell when you cast Blasphemy.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately, it depends how far away I am, I DDed away to Z20, unless that is 80ft from D9, he's unaffected

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:28 PM
Ah, you're right. I did know that I just forgot to type this:

I take [roll0] damage.

Observers only:
Nonlethal damage. I'm imune thanks to Veil of Undeath.

EDIT: Sharn, I believe the effect stay centered on me. And it is still within 80ft. I'm on G14 anyway.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:31 PM
would that be your turn? I'm still standing with 1 Strength

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:32 PM
Yup, that's my turn. Note encumberance.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:38 PM
Yup I've only got 1 lb of gear on me,

Am I still dazed?

Move to Y14, which should be out of range for EoS, Disintegrate the Post so I have LoS, and Extended Burning Blood on you.

Fort Save DC23 everyturn for the next 32 turns. If you fail, you take 2d8 cold damage and can only take 1 move action that turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:43 PM
You are still dazed, unfortunately, so you can't take any actions. Therefore, it's my turn again and you're still on z20.

I cast Destruction on you. The save DC is 26, fort.

End to Strife Damage [roll0]

EDIT: Before I cast Destruction I spent a swift action to cast Touch of the Blackened Soul. The difference in save DC was already calculated in, but I neglected to actually mention the spell!

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:44 PM
Does the daze prevent me from taking immediate actions? As in is it only until I end my turn or does it last until the start of my next turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:46 PM
Dazed prevents all actions.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:47 PM
But when does it officially end? Beginning of next turn or end of current turn?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 07:51 PM
Ah, I see what you mean. The daze effects lasts for 1 round, so I think you are un-dazed for your immediate on my next turn. A DM can rule otherwise, if I'm wrong. It will take your swift action from your next turn though, unless I'm mistaken.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 07:57 PM
Eh... I'll deal with the lost action to wings of cover your destruction, if I'm not mistaken, that gives me Total Cover and blocks Line of Effect for it

Btw that's alot of self damage, how do you take so much?

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-08, 08:06 PM
Just to verify:

Daze ends at the beginning of Juris's turn. Sharnian may take immediates now, including Wings of Cover. WoC blocks LoE, negating Destruction.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-08, 08:16 PM
Is that your whole turn?

You can look at this if your turn is over.
In that case Extended Burning Blood, Fort Save DC23 for the next 32 turns, or take 2d8 cold damage and only beable to take 1 move action that turn

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 10:31 PM
My ring of spell battle counterspells your wings of cover. Make the save, please. As for the damage, I have my ways... I'll tell you after the bout.

Here's the map again, for reference:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena2i.gif

If you pass the save, I move to k13.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-08, 11:06 PM
Ring of Spell Battle no longer auto-dispels. Roll a dispel check. The bonus is +10.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 11:08 PM
DMs:

I'd like to disregard the following. See a couple posts down.

Interesting. I that WotC errata or ToS errata?

Caster Level Check: [roll0]

Oh wait, subtract 6 from that roll. So it's worthless. Forget about it.

Is the charge still expended even though the dispel failed?

And Sharn, you don't have line of sight to cast that spell on me since I'm behind the post now.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-08, 11:09 PM
The item was reprinted in the MIC. It now counterspells "as if with dispel magic" instead of Complete Arcane's "without... making a dispel check".

Edit: The charge is expended. It's weird that they nerfed the countering ability while leaving the more powerful reflecting ability essentially unchanged.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-08, 11:13 PM
Ah, I see. Can I just take back the action? It has another use that doesn't require a dispel check that I'd rather save, now that I know it's not an auto-dispel.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-08, 11:22 PM
Hm. I don't know how to handle requests for do-overs... It's true that you didn't know it was nerfed, so I can see where you're coming from.

I'm inclined to let you take it back, but I'm afraid what would happen if Tidesinger overruled me. Several future turns could be rendered invalid.

If you're prepared to deal with that, and if Sharnian's okay with it, I'll let you take the action back.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Tidesinger is still around. I'll ask him.

Doc Roc
2009-09-09, 12:36 AM
Gimme a bit to acquaint myself with the relevant items and most recent printings.

You could opt to change the target, if there is another legal target within range. Which I do not believe WoC reasonably permits. Roll back is permitted. It was an honest mistake, caught early.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 09:37 AM
Thanks.

OK, Sharn. It's your turn. You're still on z20 and I'm on k13.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-09, 05:29 PM
Cast Extended Greater Invisibility on Me and move to

Z16

If you can see invisibility, you can look at the spoiler

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 08:19 PM
Cast True Seeing.

End Turn.

At the start of your next turn I cast Hesitate on you. You'll have to make a will save or lose all your actions except for a move action.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-09, 09:37 PM
Juris:
True Seeing has an expensive material component. I don't believe you have that component, so you can't cast the spell. I'll let you take another action, but you can't retroactively have bought the component.

If I'm mistaken, please provide proof. Sorry I keep jumping in like this, but I'm just trying to make sure everything is legal and fair, since this is a qualifier.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-09, 10:09 PM
I'm sure that's an attack by invisibility's guidelines so roll damage

Do I lose swift/immediate actions?
Will Save [roll0]
Can you list the DC?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 10:30 PM
I really need to read spell entries better. I'll sub for see invisibility instead.

You passed your save with flying colors, proceed!

[If you had failed, you would have lost your swift and immediates, yes]

EDIT: Man, I'm stupid. I have enough leftover gold to buy the components, but I was too dumb to actually do it.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 10:32 PM
And End to Strife Damage, of course.

[roll0]

Nice one!

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-10, 06:38 AM
Don't worry about buying the components, just buy a component pouch and whenever you need to spend gold on components, just subtract it from your funds during the match, that's what I do, although I don't cast expensive spells much.

Back to my regular turn...

I cast Disintegrate on the ground below you J12-K13, losing LoS until you get out of the hole

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-10, 09:05 AM
Make an easy listen check (DC 7), and if you make it, read this:

Cast Dimension Door

Then make a difficult spot check (DC 40) and if you make that, read this:
410 feet strait up.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-10, 01:50 PM
Don't worry about buying the components, just buy a component pouch and whenever you need to spend gold on components, just subtract it from your funds during the match, that's what I do, although I don't cast expensive spells much.

I don't like this. One of the big drawbacks of expensive components is the fact that you have to predict the expensive spells you will have to cast. If you didn't buy the components beforehand, you're out of luck.

IIRC (I don't have the time to check right now), your current character doesn't have any expensive spells, but remember this for future characters who intend to cast such spells.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-10, 04:25 PM
Sorry I had thought that was what the pouch was for, buy one and pump money into it like a Matter Converter Machine.

And besides, preparing is for wizards! Sorcerers live to break the rules of magic. Lol

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-10, 04:27 PM
Make an easy listen check (DC 7), and if you make it, read this:

Cast Dimension Door

Then make a difficult spot check (DC 40) and if you make that, read this:
410 feet strait up.

[roll0] Listen

I can't make that spot check? Is it because you are invisible? Because I can see invisible

Wouldn't that be a spellcraft check to identify?

Edit: Just noticed, you mispelled my name in the thread title. Lol

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-11, 09:50 AM
You auto succeed on the spellcraft check as long as you can hear it.

As for the spot check, I'm not invisible. But you don't see me. It's your turn.

I'm away for the weekend though, so don't expect much activity from me before Sunday eve.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-11, 11:11 PM
I cast Extended Control Temperature to Severe Cold. Make Fort Save DC15, or take [roll0] nonlethal cold damage. If you take any damage, you are fatigued and frostbitten (-2 Dex penalty)End turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-13, 02:19 PM
Observers:
I have Endure Elements up, so control weather doesn't effect me, and even if it did I'm immune to nonlethal damage. I fall 150 feet to the outer range of Greater Dispel Magic and then...

I cast Greater Dispel Magic, targeted on you. Since you're flat footed, you can't use an immediate action to cast Wings of Cover.

Please list all spells active on you and their caster levels so I can make my dispel checks. Then you can make a DC 21 spot check to spot me.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-13, 02:21 PM
Oh, and I take [roll0] damage from End to Strife.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-13, 05:32 PM
don't forget to make the Fort Save DC15 from the cold

Arcane Spellsurge
Shield
Displacement
Grease
See Invisibility
True Strike
Greater Invisibility

They're all CL16 so they're all Dispel DC 27

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-13, 07:19 PM
Ah, yes, the fort save.

Fort Save[roll0]

Dispel Checks:

Arcane Spellsurge [roll1]
Shield [roll2]
Displacement [roll3]
Grease [roll4]
See Invis [roll5]
True Strike [roll6]
Greater Invisibility [roll7]

True Strike, Shield and Grease remain active.

DC 21 spot check:
210 Feet above Square j13 I use a swift action to cast Swift Etherealness then float 20 feet down to altitude 185 and one square south

End Turn.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-14, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but since you failed the save, you writhe in agony taking [roll0] cold damage and can only a single move action

spot [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-14, 07:01 PM
That save was for cold damage from control temperature and was a DC 15 save which I passed.

You look up and see me 210 feet above your head, then I wink out of sight as I cast Swift Etherealness a second time.

Anyway, it's your turn.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-14, 07:15 PM
Right, my bad

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-16, 06:41 PM
I cast Extended Arcane Spellsurge

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-16, 08:55 PM
Greater Invisibility. Float downward another 20 feet. At the end of my turn I pop back onto the prime and start falling again.

My turn is over. At the beginning of your turn I cast hesitate, so make a will save. The DC is 17 and if you fail, you can't make any actions other than a single move.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-16, 10:22 PM
I don't know swift etherealness, does it only last for 1 round like the other swift spells?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-16, 10:30 PM
It lasts until the end of my next turn, so it's over now. However, if you look up at where I was, you won't see me.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-17, 04:59 PM
Will Save [roll0]

Spot Check to see where you are [roll]1d20+1[roll] Is this a reaction or a move action?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-17, 05:03 PM
Your code isn't closed for the roll. And no, I don't think I did anything to provoke a spot from you. You can make an active spot check if you choose.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-17, 11:09 PM
Meh, I make an active spot [roll0]

Ready an action to cast Extended Burning Blood when I see Gaurd

Your turn.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-18, 08:57 AM
I fall 150 feet to a height of 60 and...

Cast feeblemind. Make a will save, DC 23. That counts your -4 penalty for being an arcane caster.

End turn.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-19, 09:43 AM
Will Save [roll0]

Does that make me able to see you?

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-19, 10:31 PM
No, it means you failed your will save for feeblemind and now you can't cast spells anymore. This match is basically over.

I have greater invisibility up, that's why you can't see me.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-09-20, 09:16 AM
K then, good game I have nothing left