PDA

View Full Version : Help with Healer Class Character (D&D 3.5e)

djlink
2009-09-07, 09:23 PM
I am currently starting in a campaign with characters starting at 16th level. I've chosen to use a Healer class character and the DM is allowing it to be a spontaneous caster... I am aware of the restrictiveness of the class and I would prefer it if nobody would try to convince me to go with another base class other then it... but I was wondering if there is any suggestions anyone could make as far as equipment and feats (and maybe prestige classes or templates) that may help this character to be better?

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:26 PM
Try boosting your spell list so you can do something beyond heal. A bit harder for a divine caster (praticularlly one without turn undead) than an arcane one though.

Find a way to get range on your touch ranged healing so you are not in the center of combat as a squishy target.

Also, on the good side you are starting at a high level, didn't healers get gate as a 9th level spell?

quick_comment
2009-09-07, 09:28 PM
Is the DM giving you spontaneous casting and knowing your entire spell list (like warmage or beguilar) or spontaneous casting and choosing what spells you know (like sorcerer).

If its the first, going into rainbow servant gets you all cleric spells.

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:30 PM
Isn't healer divine and rainbow servant restricited to arcane?

At least one prc however gave you free domains, that works great if it is per 1

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 09:32 PM
At least one prc however gave you free domains, that works great if it is per 1

Sovereign speaker?

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:32 PM
I think. Don't know the details on the class beyond granting additionall domains.

djlink
2009-09-07, 09:33 PM
The DM is allowing spontaneous with knowing the spells in the Healer's spell list. The class is from the Miniatures Handbook.

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 09:35 PM
I think. Don't know the details on the class beyond granting additionall domains.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3927.0
^a guide to this PrC

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:39 PM
"At least one cleric domain" requirement kills that idea then (unless the DM is kind enough to let you act as though you had the healing domain, given the decent buff he gave the NPC class being used, there is a good chance)

Glimbur
2009-09-07, 09:46 PM
As much as it pains me to suggest it, one option for Reach Spell is a level of Hierophant. It's a core PrC no one ever talks about, and for good reason. It's a lot like an Archmage for Divine Casters... except you don't get casting progression, just Caster Level. One level can get you 30' reach on all your Divine spells. The other abilities aren't that impressive, so you could stick around for a second level to get 60' range but I wouldn't. Build would be Healer13/Hierophant1/Healer2. Then you can use a Rod of Chain Spell and get Mass Heal on the cheap... provided Chain Spell is allowed to work on Reach'd spells.

Or just get some rods of Reach Spell, but as a spont caster it takes you a full round to cast using them barring a feat from Complete Mage you take at level 9. It's a good feat to take as a Spont caster anyway.

Whatever you end up doing, take a level of Contemplative from Complete Divine to get a domain. You can pick it up after level 8, qualifying is easy (just take Know: Religion), and the fluff is you really like your god. You even get immunity to diseases just because. If Healer's class abilities are less than stellar after 8th, you could go Healer8/Contemplative7/Hierophant 1 to cast as a 15th level Healer with CL 16 with two domains, Reach on all your touch spells, and a few other odds and ends. There's no need for so much Contemplative, but it is not terrible.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-07, 09:57 PM
I'm playing a healer in a game too. They can be restrictive but they can also be so much fun!

here's the feats I suggest:
Augment healing
Touch of healing
Healing devotion
Magic of the land
REACH SPELL for the love of god REACH SPELL.

And try to talk your DM into making ride a class skill so you can actually ride you unicorn.

*.*.*.*
2009-09-07, 10:29 PM
And try to talk your DM into making ride a class skill so you can actually ride you unicorn.

And! Try to talk your DM into making the unicorn an animal companion

djlink
2009-09-07, 10:38 PM
well considering we are starting out as a level 16 characters, one level of Hierophant wouldn't be too bad... The feats that i've been looking towards in using was mainly:

Augment Healing
Touch of Healing
Able Learner (if human race)
Forge Ring, and Extra Rings (for the ability to use 4 rings)

Any other suggestions on items or feats? any other help is always welcome.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-07, 10:40 PM
Healers can enter Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) at 8th level. The Healer's Code and Paladin's Code overlap in a lot of places, and paladin spells back up the healer list very well.

Plus you can stack the unicorn and your paladin mount, if you've got a decent DM.

djlink
2009-09-07, 10:45 PM
Prestige Paladin requires the character to be able to turn undead which the Healer is unable to do

Flickerdart
2009-09-07, 10:54 PM
There's a PrC that grants Turning, Paladin-like abilities and a domain to cast from, in one web enhancement or another.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-07, 10:55 PM
Prestige Paladin requires the character to be able to turn undead which the Healer is unable to do

Oh, right. Level in Sacred Exorcist should solve that.

djlink
2009-09-07, 10:59 PM
Sacred Exorcist requires the character to be able to cast Dismissal or Dispel Evil... which the Healer doesn't have in the spell lists.

Flickerdart
2009-09-07, 11:08 PM
Ah, found it. Soldier of Light, Deities and Demigods.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-07, 11:13 PM
Christ. Take a level of cleric (or better, cloistered cleric--you picked it up from your years at the university), then.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-07, 11:14 PM
I'd go straight class. If you'll be starting at 16th then go straight class and trade in the Unicorn for a Couatl. . . now THAT's a MOUNT. Who DOESNT want somthing that basically equates to a paladins mount as far as class features goes but can also cast spells as a 9th level sorcerer. . . and has psionic abilities. . .and you know looks AWSOME. but that's just me.:smalltongue:

djlink
2009-09-07, 11:39 PM
FYI: The group i am running are going to be able to dish out a lot of damage... all i have to worry about is just not dying and being able to heal others, so that is mainly what i am gearing towards, but being able to do a little bit of fighting is okay, but not an absolute necessity...