PDA

View Full Version : Warblade with Adaptive Style?

elliott20
2009-09-07, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, question, do you guys think a warblade can actually benefit from adaptive style? in what context? I'm reading over the warblade recovery mechanics and it just seems to me that a warblade won't benefit much from having the adaptive style feat. But then again I could just be missing something.

quick_comment
2009-09-07, 09:49 PM
It lets you change your maneuvers quickly.

Fighting a succubus and dont have moment of perfect mind readied? Fighting a high DR creature and you readied time stands still and not strike of perfect clarity? Suddenly afflicted with some condition and need to ready iron heart surge?

Leon
2009-09-07, 09:55 PM
Yes, maybe not as much as the other two classes at a low level but more at higher levels.

As mentioned above its always going to be useful for that lil thing you forgot at any level but once you have the larger gap between Known and Readied it'll play a larger role if you choose to change your options of fighting

elliott20
2009-09-07, 10:09 PM
well, I suppose there is one benefit in that it let's a warblade change maneuvers without having to expend the maneuvers first, that is true. And in that sense, it's totally worth it. I forgot that in order to recover, you kind have to expend maneuvers first.

Draz74
2009-09-07, 10:13 PM
well, I suppose there is one benefit in that it let's a warblade change maneuvers without having to expend the maneuvers first, that is true. And in that sense, it's totally worth it. I forgot that in order to recover, you kind have to expend maneuvers first.

Well, even when you recover, you don't get to choose a new selection of Readied Maneuvers. You just re-ready the ones you already had Readied. Changing to new ones is a much slower process, pretty much impossible mid-combat without Adaptive Style.

elliott20
2009-09-07, 10:21 PM
you know what, upon second reading, you're right. the recovery rules do not actually state that you can choose new ones, just that you recover the ones you lost. huh... the value of adaptive style just went up dramatically. maybe I should drop one of my flavor feats (yes, I blew a valuable resource for flavor) for adaptive style.

Darrin
2009-09-07, 10:33 PM
you know what, upon second reading, you're right. the recovery rules do not actually state that you can choose new ones, just that you recover the ones you lost. huh... the value of adaptive style just went up dramatically. maybe I should drop one of my flavor feats (yes, I blew a valuable resource for flavor) for adaptive style.

If the Warblade is also multiclassing into Swordsage and/or Crusader, it lets him reset his maneuvers for all martial adept classes at the same time.

Draz74
2009-09-07, 10:39 PM

Yep. Otherwise, you would be correct: Adaptive Style would be a very silly feat for a Warblade (or Crusader). But as-is, it's a pretty good choice at higher levels.

Eldariel
2009-09-07, 10:45 PM
A straight Warblade benefits of it, but relatively little by comparison. If you end up in a PrC with lots of Maneuvers Known and less Readied (e.g. Ruby Knight Vindicator, Master of the Nine, Shadow Sun Ninja, Deepstone Sentinel or Bloowclaw Master), the value skyrockets as you'll have a much greater selection of maneuvers not prepared.

But yeah, Swordsages are easily the best Adaptive Style-users (out of single-classed Adepts anyways; multiclass Adepts are obviously even better) as not only does it help them recover their maneuvers properly, but they also have a huge wealth of schools and not-prepared maneuvers to choose from to change their style as the situation warrants.

elliott20
2009-09-08, 04:29 AM
well, I swapped out quick draw for adaptive style instead.

I haven't yet planned out whether or not I'm going to multi-class into another ToB class later (though it is tempting). For that, I'm actually going to wait for the game to go under way. Once I figure out where the GM is with helping me with develop his story and his character development, I'll decide then.

Saph
2009-09-08, 06:04 AM
Note that the more times you take Martial Study, the more valuable Adaptive Style becomes, as you'll have more maneuvers to choose from.

I find Adaptive Style very useful. It means that while exploring a dangerous area you can switch maneuvers whenever you feel like it - if you're worried that there's a mind-affecting thing coming up, you can switch in Moment of Perfect Mind and Iron Heart Surge, if you glimpse a big pack of orcs you can switch in Steel Wind and Mithral Tornado, etc.

It requires a bit of thought, but it's better than Quick Draw.