PDA

View Full Version : Ants...

ChameleonX11
2009-09-08, 12:23 AM
Ok, so about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I wake up one morning and have about 6 bug bites on my arms. No worries, it must have just been a spider that got hungry, its not like its the first time that this has happened, and these bites are only itchy, so no biggie. That night, as i'm going to bed, I saw several dead ants, and thought that it was kind of strange, so I layed down to look under my bed, and what do I find other than an entire ant colony.... at least 100 of em, maybe more. So, no suprise to stand up and see a goodly number of them on my chest and arms. Long story short, I got about 30 ant bites that night alone, but I ended up cleaning everything out and rearranging my room, even though I'm SURE there was nothing under my bed that would attract ants.

Fast forward to last night, I'm sitting out back durring a BBQ, and I look down to see yet another swarm of ants crawling up my legs, even though there were 5 other people at the same table, with no ants crawling up their legs. (The ants actually walked past some of the other people to me)

Normally I don't really react to these kinds of things, but having 2 pretty strange incidents like this within a month, let alone about 3 other incidents of random/multiple bug bites that I can't explain, has me thinking, why do bugs like me so much all of a sudden? Last time I got a bug bite was a couple of months ago on vacation, this is just rediculous.

Thank god I don't have a phobia for bugs, that would suck.

The Extinguisher
2009-09-08, 12:39 AM
Thank god I don't have a phobia for bugs, that would suck.

You may not, but I sort of do.

I just checked my bed for ants. And my bed is raised. And I sleep on the top floor.

Shudder.

Vmag
2009-09-08, 12:40 AM
If my studies in cheesy scary stories go, an abundance of ants like this following you, Especially setting up base right under your bed, is usually a sign of being guilt-stricken over some horrible crime you have done. Perhaps you are not guilt-stricken at all and these ants serve both as a reminder of your crimes and as a form of diabolical revenge.

Did you, by any chance, kill a friend of yours in your own house and chop him into tiny little bits? Perhaps his mulch scattered across your lawn is precisely the sustenance that feeds this colony.

kpenguin
2009-09-08, 12:41 AM
Hello.

This is the ants.

We're coming for you... we're coming...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-08, 12:43 AM
Damnit, man. Don't resist.

They're quite obviously radio-active/mutant ants trying to turn you into a super-hero.

golentan
2009-09-08, 12:49 AM
Damnit, man. Don't resist.

They're quite obviously radio-active/mutant ants trying to turn you into a super-hero.

No: He's already a super hero, with the power to command insects! He just needs to work on control...

ChameleonX11
2009-09-08, 12:56 AM
Exactly how many bites would it take to become a superhero? :smallconfused:

And as for the missing ex-best friend.... The ants wouldn't exactly be in my lawn if that were the reason... :smallamused:

Coidzor
2009-09-08, 12:58 AM
...Ingest garlic. Check and see if you've ingested anything that could've had an affect on your pheremones.

Bathe. Several times. with the best soap you can get your hands on. maybe with some body wash after that.

Icewalker
2009-09-08, 12:59 AM
It will take just enough for the bites to be lethal to a regular person for them to turn you into a superhero. Good thing you're hero potential, and can take it.

ChameleonX11
2009-09-08, 01:00 AM
...Ingest garlic. Check and see if you've ingested anything that could've had an affect on your pheremones.

Bathe. Several times. with the best soap you can get your hands on. maybe with some body wash after that.

I bathe twice a day minimum, being a stinky teenager and all. And I doubt it is this, as I wasn't quite as frequent over summer break when I was home alone and all.

It will take just enough for the bites to be lethal to a regular person for them to turn you into a superhero. Good thing you're hero potential, and can take it.

I sense a potential for this to be.... invigorating. Or incredibly painful, its a toss up.

EDIT: Also, the one thing that changed drastically right before this all started was that school began the monday before this all began. (i.e. 2 days before the first attack) I don't know if this means anything, but a highschool student isn't as versed in knowledge as the rest of this website. :smallwink:

Thajocoth
2009-09-08, 03:33 AM
How sweet is your blood? I think they can smell that... Though, my blood is very sweet and I get almost no bites...

Not that I've tasted it recently... It's been a long time since I've accidentally cut myself. My cuticles haven't even bled in months... I don't know what's up with that... It's not like I've changed my diet or anything...

I would ask an exterminator and a doctor (one for ant info and to get rid of them, and the other for health info)

Megatron46
2009-09-08, 03:49 AM
EDIT: Also, the one thing that changed drastically right before this all started was that school began the monday before this all began. (i.e. 2 days before the first attack) I don't know if this means anything, but a highschool student isn't as versed in knowledge as the rest of this website. :smallwink:

Hmmmm, I teach and I feel that I've been bitten repeatedly by a whole herd/flock...um... swarm! of ants since I started back at work last week! I feel your pain! Maybe the ants were lonely when you went back and were admonishing you for deserting them in their hour of need.

Seriously though, something must be attracting them, but alas I know bugger all about ants....Is there an entomologist in the house?

Eldan
2009-09-08, 04:47 AM
See the positive side: ant bites are said to help against rheumatism.

daggaz
2009-09-08, 04:54 AM
Did you check for eggs? Some species lay eggs under the skin... :smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2009-09-08, 05:32 AM
Are you by any chance diabetic, or have you been tested for it? Ants have been known to attack diabetics.

PS: They hate ground cinnamon. FInd out where they're getting into the house at and liberally sprinkle it around. It's like pepper spray for them.

Perenelle
2009-09-08, 05:44 AM
Well I get bitten by mosquitoes a lot. I don't even have to leave my house and somehow I get bug bites. I googled it a while ago and a lot of websites said it had something to do with the amount of carbon dioxide in your breath and your body temperature. but I dunno if its the same for ants.

I'd call an exterminator if I were you. or put red pepper all over the place, they hate that too, along with the cinnamon that Bhu suggested.

Megatron46
2009-09-08, 05:50 AM
Did you check for eggs? Some species lay eggs under the skin... :smallbiggrin:

Wooooo, How to really freak people out! Not only do they bite you. They BREED IN YOU!!!!!!!!

Athaniar
2009-09-08, 06:44 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

To be a little bit more serious, I do not tend to like insects (and other bugs) very much. I don't have a problem with ants, though, but that doesn't mean I like having them inside my house, which happened some months ago. Cinnamon did help.

ChameleonX11
2009-09-08, 08:34 AM
Are you by any chance diabetic, or have you been tested for it? Ants have been known to attack diabetics.

PS: They hate ground cinnamon. FInd out where they're getting into the house at and liberally sprinkle it around. It's like pepper spray for them.

I do not know if I am diabetic or not. But I do know that one of the people at the table I previously mentioned is, and he was one of the people they walked by. :smallannoyed:

Cyrion
2009-09-08, 10:24 AM
You can add baking soda to the cinnamon and red pepper. Baking soda will kill rather than repel.

Zanaril
2009-09-08, 10:39 AM
Wooooo, How to really freak people out! Not only do they bite you. They BREED IN YOU!!!!!!!!

And they didn't even buy you a drink. :smallannoyed:

Megatron46
2009-09-08, 01:26 PM
And they didn't even buy you a drink. :smallannoyed:

The bastards!

ColonelFuster
2009-09-08, 02:51 PM
http://karnak.bobandgeorge.com/index.php?comic=338

Arlion
2009-09-08, 04:58 PM
obviously,the ants are looking for revenge...

Johel
2009-09-08, 05:08 PM
Agree with Coidzor :

Bath, clean the sheets& cloths, bath again.
The first "wave" of ants probably spread some pheromon on you, which led the next "wave" to what they saw as either "smelly intruder", "sweet meal" or "fleshy hive".
This or you just doesn't smell right for them.

Or you ARE the future Antman. Should we make you a costume and a themesong ?

Stormthorn
2009-09-08, 07:28 PM
I for one am just glad it wasnt a spider. I hate spiders.

And how big are the ants where you live? Where i live they are a bit less than 1/2 a cm but make up for it in staggering numbers. We once had an ant invasion of our home that involved many thousands of them and i believe California (the state i live in) is considered a supercolony.

ChameleonX11
2009-09-09, 12:59 AM
Agree with Coidzor :

Bath, clean the sheets& cloths, bath again.
The first "wave" of ants probably spread some pheromon on you, which led the next "wave" to what they saw as either "smelly intruder", "sweet meal" or "fleshy hive".
This or you just doesn't smell right for them.

Or you ARE the future Antman. Should we make you a costume and a themesong ?

Trust me. This was the first thing I did. heh. Maybe I should just repeat the process. again.

However I must admit that this "Antman" prospect seems like it could be quite a bit of fun. :smallcool:

Bhu
2009-09-09, 03:44 AM
I do not know if I am diabetic or not. But I do know that one of the people at the table I previously mentioned is, and he was one of the people they walked by. :smallannoyed:

Wow. Guess you did get pheremone'd then. Some ant species are blind, and they get about by following pheromone trails left by the scouts who came before them. You might need some reeeally strong soap.

Croverus
2009-09-09, 03:52 AM
Wow. Guess you did get pheremone'd then. Some ant species are blind, and they get about by following pheromone trails left by the scouts who came before them. You might need some reeeally strong soap.

Every species of ant uses phermones, leaving trails that pretty much lead to either: A) Food, B) Building Material, C) Enemies, or D) New home.

So you are one of those four choices. Pray its not D.

Killer Angel
2009-09-09, 04:04 AM
Every species of ant uses phermones, leaving trails that pretty much lead to either: A) Food, B) Building Material, C) Enemies, or D) New home.

So you are one of those four choices. Pray its not D.

Well, I don't like too much neither A or B...
But C will probably became the truth, especially if the ants continue in biting you... :smalltongue:

SoD
2009-09-09, 06:09 AM
What sort of ants? Because if they're yellow crazy ants, jack jumpers, bullants, cowtermites, argentinian fire ants, euopean fire ants, antartic fire ants, army ants, navy ants, air force ants, or anything similar to them, I suggest moving house.

Lord Herman
2009-09-09, 06:27 AM
navy ants

Are those the ones that use tiny nuclear submarines?

raitalin
2009-09-09, 06:33 AM
Have you recently changed brands or scents of deodorant/soap/shampoo/lotion? Sometime that can attract insects.

Vizzerdrix
2009-09-09, 08:17 PM
Firstly, if they have left phero feara scent marks on you then get some Hunter's soap. It will neutralize the scent better than normal soaps. Hunting outfitters and some sports shops carry this.

Now, to kill them. Get some Borax (you should be able to find in in the area of the laundry soaps in your local grocery store) and some table sugar. you want a 50/50 dry mix of the two, airing on the side of the sugar. Pour this around the ant hills, or if you can't find them, on a paper towel under your bed. The sugar will get the ants to eat the Borax, which will swell in their tummies by the time they get it back to the colony and kill them in a most painful way. Enjoy ^_^

SoD
2009-09-10, 07:41 AM
Now, to kill them. Get some Borax (you should be able to find in in the area of the laundry soaps in your local grocery store) and some table sugar. you want a 50/50 dry mix of the two, airing on the side of the sugar. Pour this around the ant hills, or if you can't find them, on a paper towel under your bed. The sugar will get the ants to eat the Borax, which will swell in their tummies by the time they get it back to the colony and kill them in a most painful way. Enjoy ^_^

Two things; one; that is a very cruel way to kill the poor little ants, and, secondly; two; Vizzerdrix (http://magiccards.info/card.php?card=Vizzerdrix)? Why? It's one of the more awful cards out there! People I know get more joy out of ripping a Vizzerdrix up than they do putting it in a deck.

Stormthorn
2009-09-10, 08:42 PM
Two things; one; that is a very cruel way to kill the poor little ants, and, secondly; two; Vizzerdrix (http://magiccards.info/card.php?card=Vizzerdrix)? Why? It's one of the more awful cards out there! People I know get more joy out of ripping a Vizzerdrix up than they do putting it in a deck.

Ants deserve it. Ants deserve worse.

And i only dislike that card because it wont by killed by my favorite way of hurting things. (http://magiccards.info/tr/en/88.html)

Thrawn183
2009-09-10, 08:55 PM
If the bed continues to be a problem, put the legs of the frame in pots full of soapy water. It worked for my parents in Africa.

tribble
2009-09-10, 09:04 PM
capture some and post a picture. I have a field guide to insects and I may be able to identify.

ChameleonX11
2009-09-10, 09:11 PM
I will do a combination of everything, except the picture thing. I don't own a camera, so it would be hard to get a picture of them, I'll ask around and see if I can get one and post it.

If you don't hear from me in a week or so, assume i'm dead. or a super-hero. :smallcool:

lord of kobolds
2009-09-11, 06:37 PM

This just gave me a great idea! Roll around in a huge pile of cinnamon before you go to sleep!

I don't have ant problems, but I have something similar. I sleep in my parent's basement (I'm 16, so it's not pathetic), and there are crickets all over the place. I like hearing them as I go to sleep, but it can sometimes be creepy to just be walking around and see a cricket running away.

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-11, 06:50 PM
Oh god I would freak out!

Lupy
2009-09-11, 11:48 PM
I happen to like ants...

I would put down sugar and poison though, they don't belong in your house.

Vizzerdrix
2009-09-11, 11:59 PM

1-I can think of worse if you'd like :)

2-Crappy card, but a cool picture :)

Thajocoth
2009-09-12, 12:00 AM
When I was much younger, I got an ant farm. I didn't do it right though. First I got & added the ants, then I added the water, then I pulled up the cotton in their way. Then, I added more ants, without removing the first wave. Really screwed that up...

You could get a few pet spiders. They'll eat the ants for you.

SoD
2009-09-13, 08:53 PM
1-I can think of worse if you'd like :)

2-Crappy card, but a cool picture :)

1-think of what you want, I can't control people's thoughts. Or can I?

2-Yeah, cool picture, but deserving of a rare? It's worse than ending up with an ad nauseum, or an immortal coil! It's only rare because of the cool flavour text, I think.

Recaiden
2009-09-13, 08:56 PM
I have a Vizzerdrix. I really wish I didn't. :smallwink:

Kyouhen
2009-09-13, 10:37 PM
Quick and easy solution that worked for me. Get some pepperment aromatic oil, throw it in a diffuser, and do that a few times the first day and once or twice every day after until the ants go away. Repeat when they come back. Pepperment masks their pheromone trails, so it gets rid of their little maps of your house.

Thajocoth
2009-09-14, 12:40 AM
You could fill the house with a gaseous poison and stay at a motel for a couple days until it clears.

Ilena
2009-09-14, 09:47 AM
Also i watched a spider die to many ants ..... it was an interesting thing to watch .... they then realized the corpse couldnt fit into their hole and ended up seperating it ..... efficient little buggers, but ive always wanted to capture a queen and setup my own little colony ... and by little i mean a 20 gallon aquarium tank size connected to 3 others with several other ant colonys and have mock battles in there and have an ability to seperate them when one colony gets its ass kicked .... and have a gambling ring of ... erm ya ignore that last part :P but hopefully one day i will make said colony! Possibly even setup an ecosystem with a moving sun and rain .... I do have to find a way to make it so the ants cant climb the walls in some vain attempt to escape my arena ... i mean lovely home :P

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 08:42 PM
I like ants, however, they also kinda freak me out, with the whole world conquering global colony of Argentinian ants mostly, reminds me too much of the "ant" trilogy by Bernard Werber for comfort.