PDA

View Full Version : Chaos-based magic items

Gan The Grey
2009-09-08, 01:24 AM
I am currently playing an CE awakened goat sorcerer 5 / wild mage 8. I absolutely LOVE the Student of Chaos ability that allows me two random options when using any magic item with a random component.

My question is, what are some good random outcome based magic items? I have a few already:

Bag of Tricks (I customized all three bags into one bag for more randomness)
Greater Rod of Wonder (sometimes bad stuff STILL happens to me. I'm permanently green now)
Cubic Gate
Custom Summoning Dice, inspired by SilverClawShift's campaign journals

I even got to use it on the Deck of Many Things, which was PURE awesomeness.

So, any other good ideas? Maybe even custom magic items?

By the way, anyone else ever thought it strange that there are no magical dice in a game played with dice?

bosssmiley
2009-09-08, 10:23 AM
Olidammara's Dice
Deck of Many Things
Deck of Illusions
The Demon Die of the Mandarin Lords (http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/search/label/Monsters%20and%20Treasure)

Eloel
2009-09-08, 10:33 AM
Greater Chausuble of Fell Power is not 'random', but it's 'chaos-based'. It gives +2d6 damage to any spell you cast with the [Chaos] descriptor.

A Robe of Useful Items can be profitable if you're lucky enough. (With enough good rolls, you could get +9k, and some random items)

Random832
2009-09-08, 10:38 AM
Greater Chausuble of Fell Power is not 'random', but it's 'chaos-based'. It gives +2d6 damage to any spell you cast with the [Chaos] descriptor.

So... which [Chaotic] spells do damage? That's pretty much just chaos hammer, right? Unless it also improves summoned chaotic outsiders' attacks.

Eloel
2009-09-08, 10:43 AM
I have no idea about which spells, but I can bet there's some metamagic somewhere that adds the [Chaotic] descriptor to spells...

Pika...
2009-09-08, 11:03 AM
I am currently playing an CE awakened goat sorcerer 5 / wild mage 8.

Greater Rod of Wonder (sometimes bad stuff STILL happens to me. I'm permanently green now)

Wasn't there a movie like this?

Anyway, that character seems awesome, the campaign seems awesome (minus the evil part :smallsmile:), and the DM seem awesome for letting it fly.

p.s. what did you get on the deck? :smallbiggrin:

Gan The Grey
2009-09-08, 04:47 PM
Lol, no movie that I know of...or I would own it :smallsmile:

The deck was pretty cool. I chose to draw two cards, so I ended up drawing two pair and chose one from each pair that I wanted. The first one I got was the card that gives you 50 gems. Rock on. The second card was the fates card, prevent any one situation of my choosing.

So here's where we fudged the rules a bit for storyline purposes. My character was sent to the party by a future-seeing witch to prevent another character from drawing from the deck and becoming imprisoned. Unfortunately, being highly chaotic, on the way to stop him from drawing, I ran into a troop of skeletons and decided to take out some aggression on them. So I arrived too late to save him.

Later, the party whips out the Deck again, because some of them haven't drawn, so I decided to take two. Once I drew the Fate card, the DM and I spent about an hour discussing whether or not I could prevent past event with the card. By RAW, the card doesn't specify. So he agreed.

In order to prevent the party from having to hunt down someone to cast freedom and free the imprisoned character, my DM allowed me to prevent myself from running into the skeletons in the past, arriving on time to stop him from drawing the imprisonment card. However, the card says that whatever you change can only change things for you, so we ruled that if that other character ever drew from the Deck of Many Things again, he'd get the exact same cards as before, and if he ever encountered the Deck again, he'd have to make some ludicrous will save to keep from drawing. Sorta like he's fated to get imprisoned. All in all, it turned out pretty cool.