PDA

View Full Version : The Voyage of the Iron Maiden (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Simba
2009-09-08, 06:04 AM
You have applied to sail forth on the Iron Maiden on a voyage of exploration.

Without certain knowledge of your destination, you went to the interview, where you were questioned by a representative of the Merchants's Guild. Some of you had enough reputation or credentials to be acepted right off the bat, others had to demonstrate their abilities or sweet-talk the drarf into accepting you, not an easy task at all!

Now you find yourself standing in line to get on board. The pier is shrowded is mist as the sun struggles to rise above the horizon as you struggle to keep your equipment together and your eyes open. It is still early in the morning, but the ship is to leave port with the tide so there is little time to get on board.

In line with you stands an assortment of Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Half-Orcs and members of other, more exotic races, all more or less patiently waiting for their turn to get on board.

One after the other you are called up by a Dwarf in rough sailor's clothing. His voice carries easily over the hum of voices and the noisy activity on board. Each member of the additional crew climbs the plank and is then assigned a color, blue, grey and green, to represent his or her assignment to a specific group on board.

All of you get assigned to Command Green, are pointed towards a spot near the main mast and told to wait there until your commanding officer - one Lieutenant Bishop - comes to take charge of you. For some of you this is a surprise as you did not expect to be treated in such a military fashion, but there is little you can do about it at this point.

Welcome on board the Iron Maiden!

Important people on the ship (for future reference and in order of seniority on the ship):

Sadin Durov, Captain
A human male of middle years and a real soldier, Sadin has signed on again as captain of the Iron Maiden after she was sold to the merchants' guild. He was her captain ever since she was built and knows her in and out. He is a professional, highly trained and a military man.

His greying hair has started a strategic retreat, but his body is kept in great shape. He wears light armor and carries a cutlas.

Clara Verd, Ship's Mage

Clara is a female elf of unknown age. She is always smiling, but demands absolute attention to her orders by sheer force of personality.

She wears light armor made of a sea dragon's skin and carries a blue-green staff as well as a belt with several wands attached. Around her neck a silver chain holds what looks like a miniature model of the Iron Maiden.

'Bishop', Ship's Cleric

Bishop resembles the common cleric stereotype. A big man in a big armor with a mace and a shield.
He is pleasant to look to, despite his stern face one could feel the personality and the holy man within with a simple glance, as a result is difficult that people don't show respect to him or heed his words.
Despite being strong he is somewhat clumsy and you can see him holding to the nearest rope when the ship dances even a little bit.

Svarin Hinderman, First Mate

Svarin is a rather old Dwarf and Iron Maiden's First Mate. Just like the Captain, Sverin has signed on again after the ship was sold to the merchants. His deep resonating voice can be heard all over the ship and he expects his commands to be followed to the letter. With his broad shoulders he looks like he could defeat an Ogre at arm wrestling. Some say he has.

Svarin wears no armor, but carries a nasty looking dwarven waraxe and a round shield.

The Iron Maiden

http://h.imagehost.org/t/0742/The_Iron_Maiden.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0742/The_Iron_Maiden)

The Iron Maiden is a Brigantine, a fast and light ship of 80 feet length, with 2 masts, square rigged on the foremast and fore-and-aft rigged on the mainmast. Built during the last war she was in military service until the war ended. She is armed with one row of 12 light ballistas on each side, but relies on her speed and superior maneuverability to win conflicts.
She is manned by 25 sailors and has limited storage space now that the 'special forces' have been assigned the hastily but very solidly constructed bunks in the forward storage area.

Killerloop
2009-09-08, 07:56 AM
You see a man in his thirties approaching you slowly.

"Well well well, here is my new little company" said the man "I am your unit commander and ship cleric, Bishop"

"Maybe some of you aren't used to the military life and you better adapt FAST, because discipline will be enforced from now on. You are the Green Platoon and you will move when I say so, jump when I say so, die when I say so and expecially TALK WHEN I SAY SO!"

The cleric wasn't shouting, but the words were firm and clear. He isn't expecting anyone to talk so he continued:

"...and yeah, I am an hardened veteran but I am just. Everyone of you will be treated with respect and I am not the kind of commander who sends his troops to hell,rest assured.
So, you may talk now, anyone has something interesting to say??"

MikelaC
2009-09-08, 09:11 AM
ZANTHIA

A beautiful human woman steps forward. Her blonde hair sweeps down to her shoulders and her green eyes sparkle with mischief. She wears no armour and her clothes are revealing, yet tasteful. She carries no visible weapons, but she does have a wand hooked on her belt. Her cloak is decorated with mystic symbols and her vest carries the symbol of Sharess.

My name is Zanthia, of the Bindar family. Myself and my brother indicates the hobgoblin standing next to her are both well accusstomed to military life, having served in the war in various platoons. I am both a sorceress and a priestess, a follower of the dual path of Sharess.

kamikasei
2009-09-08, 09:42 AM
Marcus looks about him with unabashed curiosity as they wait. Any number of fellow passengers and crew may find him staring at them when they turn around, though if they express any pleasure he placates them with a disarmingly innocent smile. They see a tall, spare man dressed unassumingly but perhaps a bit oddly for the setting, seeming better suited for a stroll through the marketplace than a sea voyage. His dark eyes flick about even while he speaks, automatically absorbing every detail and movement around him.

I hope this isn't going to cause any confusion, he thinks as the breakdown of duties is described, brushing absently at the pale gray cloak he wears. And I hope this isn't going to be used as an excuse to keep me from seeing whatever the captain doesn't want getting back to the crown, he thinks as the lieutenant steps forward to address them. He wears a ring with the sign of his office on his right hand, but doesn't flaunt it - yet. While the man speaks Marcus stares at him with frank appraisal.

"Marcus Vaer," he says, and would tip his hat if he wore one - instead his short black hair is bound back by a silvery cord of unidentifiable material holding a small quartz to his brow. "Here to represent the crown's interests in the expedition. My talent is in seeing what others might miss - please make use of it." He smiles, at the lieutenant and at the rest of the Greens - it's an entirely genuine smile, too.

BooNL
2009-09-08, 10:32 AM
Rokan

While visually out of place, the hobgoblin standing next to Zanthia stands straighter than most soldiers. His polished breastplate is adorned with golden lines, the holy symbol of Sharess is gilded in the chest. In his firm grip he holds a finely crafted spear, its blade is unusually broad and aside from the tip several other notches are crafted into the spear.

As Zanthia speaks he nods and steps forward when she is finished. "Rokan Bindar the Spellhand, at your service. We are here to protect the interests of the Bindar merchant guilds, sir." He speaks in a noble fashion, stunted slightly by his fangs.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-08, 11:48 AM
Tork

Waving a final farewell to Reegan on the dock the unusually tall (for his race anyway) Dwarf lines up with the rest as Bishop addresses them. As the line of introductions reaches him he touches his Dragon skin helm to the Cleric.

"Tork Edrikson, traditionally a tracker, craftsman and wanderer, signed on as a weather-watcher and artillery. Pleasure to be aboard."

Tyrael
2009-09-09, 02:56 AM
An enormous, hulking Lizardfolk stands in line with the others, over seven feet tall as he looms above the rest of the crowd. Toughened olive green scales cover what little parts of him that are visible outside the suit of half-plate armor that looks more sized for a warhorse than anything civilized. A huge tower shield, more akin to a slab of iron or a door ripped off its hinges than any piece of armor, rests over his back like a turtle's shell. Beneath it can be heard the rattling of yet more equipment. Over one arm he carries a gigantic bow taller than a full-grown human, and the arrows that can be seen poking out behind the shield appear to be the size of a man's arm. To top it all off, an equally enormous hammer, its head as big as a small child, is hooked casually into his belt.

The creature folds its arms as the introductions come down the line. "Nikolaus Praskoyevich," he identifies himself in a heavily Draconic-accented tongue. "Am local blaksmeeth, beink called Niko. My bow was servink in de war."

He falls silent, apparently not seeing any reason to divulge himself further.

Ennui
2009-09-09, 04:14 AM
Egeas

Right next to the hulking creature stands the smallest of the group, the scales on his face reflecting the few rays of sunlight that manage it thorugh the mist. He looks strange, even with the lizardman standing right next to him, his head and his robes, which seem more fitting for a desert, icey white. On top of his head the crest of his dragon ancestry ends in what looks like a elongated and flat shark fin made of bone and thin leathery skin.
His facial expression is inscrutable, the scales, the flat but beak-like nose and the completely white eyes making it impossible to detect small movements across his face.
Egeas apparently doesn't feel compelled to speak, but keeps looking scrutinizingly at his new commander, while his left hand plays with the long platinum staff he always carries with him, and the right remains at his belt, continuosly feeling for the meticulously polished morning start at his belt.

Simba
2009-09-09, 05:58 AM
In KILLERLLOP's name:

"Good, good. Thank you for your short introductions" he looks pointedly at the Half-Dragon before continuing "Now that we are all assembled here I will show you to your quarters. They will be my quarters as well for the duration of our journey, by the Captains degree!"

He turns around briskly and walks to the foredeck, where another group is already following a female elf down into the hold. You follow the other group and find yourself in a cabin about 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. There are bunks for 8 people here, one bunk bed in each corner. between the beds 8 narrow wooden lockers stand open to receive your belongings.

Bishop starts reading your names from a list, pointing at a bed with each name, assigning them to you. "Keep the place tidy, this is not a landlubber hovel!" he says: "2 of you will have cabin duty each day, I will hang the list on the" he points at a borad on the wall "board to let you know whose turn it is any given day. Duties will also be posted, as will any other information you need to be informed about! Pleae make your self comfortable, we have a few minutes to spare now!"

He sits down on one of the free beds, already made up and ready.

"Any questions?"

Ennui
2009-09-09, 06:17 AM
Egeas

When his name is called, Egeas moves over to his bed and takes a quick look at it before standing in front of it, his face turned towards Bishop.

"Two questions, sir. Is the whole ship still organized by military rank, and if so, which rank has been assigned to us?"

The halflings voice is calm, and sounds almost like a whisper, despite being clearly audible; still, it is more halfling in quality and pitch than dragon.

Simba
2009-09-09, 06:24 AM
Again in Bishop's name:

"A good question, recruit!" he says, then smiles. "Actually, the organisation is military to get some order into the whole mission before we all end up in chaos. Once the Captain has spoken to you - in a few hours, I guess - things will be clearer. You hold no military rank, but the Captain is a military man and likes things in their proper order. Me, too, I guess. This is not a military vessel and you are no soldiers, but some rules will be enforced anyway. We all want this to be a success, right? Expect things to loosen up once we are out on the open sea."

Even as he speaks, the ship starts moving, leaving the harbor.

kamikasei
2009-09-09, 06:35 AM
"Ugh." Marcus looks unhappy as the deck starts to move under their feet. He lifts a finger to tickle under the throat of the large raven perched on his right shoulder. "We'll just bear with it, Corwin."

He catches Bishop's eye. "To work most effectively, I'd need a workshop, or at least a desk. Is there any such thing available?"

MikelaC
2009-09-09, 06:39 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia talks with Rokan for a moment Do you want the top or bottom bed? , and then choses one of the bunks. She dumps her mundane possessions into the locker beside it, keeping her magic items on.
So does the captain have any sort of assigned mission or target for this first voyage, or are we just going to sail the seas and see what we run into?

Simba
2009-09-09, 06:55 AM
Bishop turns to face first Marcus and then Zanthia

"There is a small workshop in the ship's mage quarters, you will have to talk to her first and get her to agree. I guess more than you will want to use it."

"The mission will be one of the topics of the Captain's speech. I am sure he will make everything clear."

"Expect a surprise..." he adds, almost as an afterthought

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 07:05 AM
Tork

"I appreciate the bed offer, but if it's permissible I would prefer to sleep on deck. Temperature isn't a problem, although I'd still use the locker. I can sleep in bird form if I seem to be getting in the way."

kamikasei
2009-09-09, 07:11 AM
Marcus nods at Bishop and begins stowing away his gear - which is to say, his pack and the bundle of cloth in which his weapons are wrapped. His magic items, his component pouch, and the belt pouch containing his potions he keeps with him, along with the dagger sheathed at his back. He'll stow away his spellbook if and only if the locker has a sturdy-looking lock.

He still looks unhappy, but it's easy enough to guess that that's because he's trying not to throw up, not because of the arrangements.

MikelaC
2009-09-09, 07:52 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia offers her condalences to Marcus You'll get used to it, and in a day or two, you wont even notice it. But, if I were you, I would make sure I was close to edge of the ship until then. Rules on ship usually are, you have to clean it.
When you get ready, we can go to the ships mage together about that workspace, I dont need it to study but Im pretty handy at making stuff.
She turns back to Bishop.
That is, if we have time to talk to her before the captains speech

Simba
2009-09-09, 07:55 AM
Bishop considers your requests and questions, then says "Let's talk about all this on deck, ok?"

He turns and leaves, heading up to the deck

Ennui
2009-09-09, 08:57 AM
Egeas

Egeas follows, having no equipment to stow away.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 09:28 AM
Tork

"Indeed, I'll pick my bed" Tork says with a smile, keeping all of his equipment with him.

Seeing the Half-Dragon Tork becomes very aware of his armour, which he had personally forged from the hide of a Black Dragon he had slain. Tapping his shield he spoke to the Halfling. "Not going to be a problem is it?"

BooNL
2009-09-09, 09:45 AM
Rokan

As he and Zanthia are assigned their bunkbed he inspects it sharply. "I will take the bottom, sis. You'll be safer on top." He then stowes away his backpack and other mundane gear. He rests his spear against the wall next to the bed and follows the others out.

On their way up he addresses Bishop. "Tell me sir, is there a space reserved on deck for exercise? I assume the aft will be free of crew on most days?"

Ennui
2009-09-09, 11:13 AM
Egeas

"Not going to be a problem is it?"

Egeas takes a moment to look at the shield and armor.

"Fine craftsmanship. No it is not going to be a problem. As long as you are not planning to use me for the next shield."

Tyrael
2009-09-09, 11:43 AM
Niko

The hulking Lizardfolk takes the largest bed he can find, claiming it by slinging his backpack on top, followed shortly by the metal slab he calls a shield. Still keeping his bow and hammer at his side, he stares between the half-Dragon halfling and the dragonhide shield.

Shaking his head, Niko follows everyone abovedeck.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-09, 02:02 PM
Tork

"I'm afraid you wouldn't make a pair of gauntlets, never mind a shield" he says, bellowing a laugh afterwards. "Not that I'm planning to skin my allies."

He then followed the Cleric upwards, still chucking loudly.

Simba
2009-09-10, 02:51 AM
You reach the deck and see that the other 2 groups are already there, one gathered at the back of the ship, one near the front. Bishop takes you to the main mast, where some space has been prepared for you, complete with crates and coils of rope to sit on.

By now the Iron Maiden has left the harbour and the sailors are pretty busy with the sails. A strong wind is blowing out of the south as you set course due west, out onto the sea, picking up speed quickly. As far as you know there is no land out there, only wide open ocean. But noone of you is a real expert in that field, after all.

Egeas (private):
You are quite sure that if there is any land due west it is not on any charts you have seen.

Ennui
2009-09-10, 03:22 AM
Egeas

Egeas looks around to assess the direction they have set course for, then he starts tapping his claws on the surface of his staff without any particular rythm and stands in front of one of the crates.

kamikasei
2009-09-10, 04:43 AM
Marcus takes a seat and wraps his cloak about himself, closing his eyes and focusing on breathing in the salt air, slow and steady. Perched on his shoulder, Corwin whispers in to his ear, too quietly for those around them to hear.

MikelaC
2009-09-10, 06:36 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia looks around, watching all of the activity of the sailors with interest. She keeps a watch for the captains appearance so that she wont be distracted when he shows up, but for now studies the ship. As she does so, she softly sings one of the hymns of Sharess, more to herself than to anyone else.

Killerloop
2009-09-10, 02:18 PM
"All right people" said Bishop "This may not be a military ship but since we are organized in squadrons we need to be able to fight together should the occasion arises"

"About that, I'm quite satisfied by our group. Judging by your introduction and equipment we have three arcane casters, two big boys with sharp things and a druid. Plus a ship cleric. Awesome." Bishop smiles

"Anyway I need to test your might and I'll begin with you girl" said Bishop, getting his shield and flail up and readying to hold versus an attack.

"Zanthia, I want you to throw your best spell at me, and don't destroy anything or you'll better kill me outright"

kamikasei
2009-09-10, 02:56 PM
Marcus raised his eyebrows. He hadn't been thinking of preparing for a fight when he began his day... and how would he avoid damaging any of Bishop's gear?

He watches Zanthia, curious to see how she deals with the situation.

BooNL
2009-09-10, 03:02 PM
Rokan

If Rokan is surprised, he doesn't show. His face breaks into a huge grin as he pictures Zanthia mopping the floor with him.

"Go on Zanth, you can take him!" He laughs a hearty laugh.

MikelaC
2009-09-10, 04:35 PM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia eyes the cleric carefully, and seconds later her hands flick in an arcane motion. 3 brightly coloured missies streak from her hand as she finishes her casting. All three strike the cleric unerringly, each one stinging as they connect

[roll0] magic missile

She steps back and watches his reaction.

How was that?

Tyrael
2009-09-10, 05:11 PM
Niko

Niko's reptilian eyes widen, and his meaty claws slap together as he applauds the colorful light show.

Killerloop
2009-09-10, 06:14 PM
Bishop waits steadily as the missiles connect, the triple blow make him reel but doesn't seem to have done much damage.

Cure Light Wounds [roll0]

"Not bad, though I expected an heavier punch from you" said the cleric

"Now you other two arcane casters, show me what you got"

Ennui
2009-09-11, 03:45 AM
Egeas

"The best I can do to injure someone or the best bit of magic I can do, sir?"

There is a hint of disdain throughout the first part of the question, but the question itself is meant seriously as a whole.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 03:52 AM
"Choice is yours" said Bishop puzzled "But as far as I know arcane users injure you with magic"

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 04:35 AM
Marcus conceals a grin. "I think he means that his best magic isn't for injuring people, sir."

Ennui
2009-09-11, 05:48 AM
Egeas

"I see I will have to change my choice of spells, if one of my colleagues will let me access their books. I am now going to use my strongest attack, so be prepared, and everyone behind him better step behind me."

Egeas puts the fist of his right hand to his mouth, and coughs a few times. Then he looks at Bishop, inhales deeply, and breathes out; a chillingly cold wind escapes from his mouth and engulfs everything in a cone in front of him.

[roll0], Reflex DC 13 halves

After the blast, Egeas, coughs a few times, and sits down, visibly spent.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 05:54 AM
Bishop felt the chilling grip and widened his eyes in shock, he didn't expect such a powerful attack.

Reflex vs DC 13 [roll0]

The breath hit him fair and square and throwed him to the floor where he remained motionless.

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 05:56 AM
Marcus sucks in his breath. That hadn't been any spell he knew* - obviously the other mage's ancestry gave him more than a skin condition. The priest's desire to make himself the subject of their demonstrations was starting to seem more than foolhardy.

"...Should someone have a look at him?"

* Actually, can I make a check to see how much Marcus was able to tell about what just happened? I'll roll both Spellcraft and Arcana (same modifier - 1d20+) and you can tell me whatever the relevant skill reveals.

Simba
2009-09-11, 06:23 AM
The sailors around you have been watching the demonstrations and one of them now gets off, looking for a healer. A dark-skinned human quickly responds to the call and knees down beside Bishop, touching the downed cleric with one hand while the other goes to his throat, where some amulet or holy symbol must be hidden beneath his robes. He utters a quick prayer in an unknown language. A shudder runs through Bishop and his eyes go wide as the frost disappears from his body, leaving it pink as a newborn baby's.

The healer gets up, looks at Egeas for a long moment, then shrugs "Try to be more careful next time, young half-dragon. Your power is strong!"

he turns around and goes to rejoin his group of recruits, visibly spent from casting.

MikelaC
2009-09-11, 06:23 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia has a worried look on her face as she steps to the injured Bishop and kneels beside him. She concentrates for a moment, praying to Sharess
swapping out Augury for Cure Moderate Wounds and then casts her spell on the priest.

[roll0]

She looks at him as she finishes up Is that enough, or do you need some more

EDIT: Away from my books right now, so "cure moderate" might be +2 times level, in which case the spell cures 4 more points to him.

MikelaC
2009-09-11, 06:43 AM
ZANTHIA

Seeing that Bishop is not fully recovered from the young dragons blast of cold, Zanthia prays once again to Sharess Swapping out Command for Cure Light and then applies her magic once again to the priest.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 06:50 AM
"Woa woa" said Bishop raising on his feet "Thanks for the cascade of help girls, but don't forget that i'm a cleric too, I can tend my own wounds!" he said, smiling.

"Anyway this scores points on your side Xanthia, you could be useful both on offense and in defense"

"As for you, Egeas, this is something I won't easy forget. That thing, whatever it was is awesome!!"

"Well, I guess is your turn Marcus, I hope you don't have anything that powerful"

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 07:05 AM
Corwin gives a laughing croak as Marcus stands; the mage shushes him. "Fortunately, no," he smiles at Bishop. "In any case, my style with both spell and sword is most effective when I catch my enemy unawares, so this will be a rather limited demonstration." Even as he finishes speaking, he brings up his left hand in a flicker of arcane gestures, and speaks words that are not quite Draconic. A line of fire lances out from his fingers, striking at the cleric.

Well... It's going to be hugely embarrassing if Marcus manages to miss, since the other two attacks used didn't require attack rolls.

Also, theoretically, Marcus could win initiative here and catch Bishop flat-footed for extra damage. It'd seem rather weird, but just in case, I'll roll: [roll0]

[roll1], [roll2], and maybe [roll3]

Ah, that should be a hit I think. I was :smallannoyed: until I remembered it was a touch attack, not a regular attack.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-11, 07:11 AM
Tork

Watching the display of power the Dwarf was glad the mage's were on his side.

He began deciding what he should offer the group when his turn came; his healing capabilities, his shapeshifting, his defensive spells, his endless magical artillery? So many choices, so little time he thought with a chuckle as the Cleric got back up.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 07:28 AM
OOC: I don't think bishop is flat footed, he is focusing on you

Bishop grumbles as the ray of fire hit him, but soon recomposes itself

Cure Moderate wounds [roll0]

"I understand" he said "I've read of mages who are much more effective when they sneak on their enemies. The attack was good anyway, I felt my skin burning to the bones"

"Your turn Tork, impress me" said the cleric pointing at the dwarf.

Ennui
2009-09-11, 07:36 AM
Egeas

Egeas doesn't seem to have enough breath at the moment to respond to any of the comments at first, but by the time Marcus' demonstration is over he has recovered enough to stand up again, though he still breathes faster than normal.

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 07:40 AM
Marcus gives a small bow and finds his way back to his seat. The distraction of focusing on his magic seems to have settled his stomach somewhat, and he hums something just barely audible to himself as he watches the dwarf.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-11, 08:30 AM
Tork

Leaving his shield where it was Tork stood, walked a few paces forward and fired a green ray of energy at the Cleric. "I may not have the potency of my Arcane allies, but unlike them my resources are infinite. Although destructive force is only one of my talents. Shall I continue?"

Without waiting for an answer he then shifted into the form of a grey skinned mountain lion and barred his teeth before bounding towards the Cleric, shifting into the form of an eagle at the last moment and shooting past him, wheeling in midair to perch back on his seat next to an impossibly large rat and shifting back again.

"I can also heal, conjure mythical beasts on a whim, talk to animals, rain down lightning storms and non-magically predict the weather two days before it changes. Oh and this is Louran, a good friend of mine. Satisfactory?" he concludes with another deep Dwarven laugh.

--------------
Eldritch Blast: [roll0] / [roll1] - Ranged Touch

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 08:58 AM
"Showoff," Corwin croaks at the dwarf.

"Don't be rude!" Marcus chides him quietly. He smiles apologetically at the druid, though at the same time curiosity is evident in his eyes.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-11, 09:05 AM
Tork

"No apologies needed, if any of you could understand Louran, you'd here much worse before the end of this voyage."

The Dire Rat immediately starts squeaking, evidently annoyed. "You watch you mouth before you go overboard missy." He turns back to Marcus. "She's a good companion, but she was raised in an industrial city, so she has a foul mouth on her."

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 10:07 AM
"I think that was enough" said Bishop "I will not test the might of your animal forms druid, or the might of the lizard or hobgoblin here because such a thing could damage our equipments and we will need them later"

"As for our combat roles, in case of need of course, Niko and Rokan you will be in the front line. Immediately behind you there will be Tork and me, with the task to support you or protect the spellcasters as needed. Last, but not least our nice three spellcasters will rain death on our enemies from afar."

Bishop paused for a moment

"Since our lives depend on such decision. I would like to hear your thought on this"

BooNL
2009-09-11, 10:23 AM
Rokan

Slightly disappointed he doesn't get to beat the cleric silly, the hobgoblin steps up. "Your tactic is sound. Well tried, but a little predictable."

He looks at the group as a whole. "There are not many times where a simple formation is enough. We will get surrounded, one of us might fall. We will need to adjust to this changes fast."

As he says this, his eyes begin to glow a bright green colour. When he speaks again, he stands behind the group. "Maneuverability and flexibility are keys to victory. If the enemy breaches our line, we must react accordingly.

I suggest we train as a team whenever we are able." He looks at Bishop. "At your discretion, of course."

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 10:29 AM
"That seems reasonable. I should note that it may be a good idea in some situations for me to go ahead of the group and scout the way. I am practiced at going unseen, and have some skill in uncovering traps and snares. It never hurts to know what lies ahead."

He nods at Rokar. "Indeed, anything we can work out by way of signals and signs to help us react in battle will be valuable. Certain of my spells can hinder allies as well as enemies, and I'm sure my colleagues are the same, so it would be well to ensure we can alert one another without tipping our hand to any enemy."

A slight smile curls the corner of his mouth. "I'd be interested to know what you did just there, by the way. Later, perhaps."

Tyrael
2009-09-11, 11:31 AM
Niko

The hulking Lizardfolk raises his hand after a moment. "sssSir," he rumbles in his Draconic accent, "de front linez ees not my best location. I vould requezt to be moved to fire sssupport. I can function on de front linez, but I am more effective vith my bow."

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 12:27 PM
"So be it" said Bishop "This means that you have to be ready to switch to a melee weapon to protect the spellcasters. If you don't own one you can take a non magical one from the Iron Maiden armory."

"That being said, I'll take your place on the front line"

Ennui
2009-09-11, 12:50 PM
Egeas

"I agree, without knowing what each is going to do, the others cannot act efficiently. And a few training sessions might even give me the opportunity to show the advantages of the more subtle branches of the Art."

The small half-dragons voice sounds more varying in pitch and inflection, and he has been glancing at the druid from time to time since Egeas has seen his display.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 12:54 PM
"Unfortunately it is not that easy to do that" said Bishop "while fighters can spar with wooden weapons or the like will you be able to hold your mystic powers so you won't kill your target??? If so, we could arrange training sessions with Blue or Red squadron"

Ennui
2009-09-11, 01:48 PM
Egeas

"There is no need for concerns for what I am thinking of, sir. Here, let me demonstrate."

Egeas climbs onto the crate behind him and turns towards the ship's side. Then he takes a small piece of something soft-looking out of a pouch on his belt, and says a few words under his breath. Suddenly. A boat appears out of nowhere, roughly 20 ft. by 40ft. in dimensions, and full of armed men in military uniform, shouting and yelling some indistinguishable things, probably engouragments and threat, as all the men are waving their weapons around.

Will Save DC 17 to recognize the illusion for what it is. But only once you have actually interacted with it.

kamikasei
2009-09-11, 02:01 PM
Marcus covers his smile with his hand, studying the others and how they react to the illusion. He says nothing yet, wanting to let the half-dragon play out his scene.

BooNL
2009-09-11, 04:34 PM
Rokan

Rokan bows to Marcus and replies. "Of course, I would be glad to show you. I must warn you though, I don't know how to transpose it to parchment. So you would have to study my form in order to learn the spell." A small smile crosses his face. While friendly in nature, his fangs suggest a whole different kind of smile. "It is one of my favourite abilities. Most foes don't expect such magics from me. Until they realize I just teleported them off the castle walls, into the canyon."

As Egeas conjures up the ship full of warriors, Rokan is clearly surprised. "That is an amazing feat of powers. Tell me, are these soldiers all under your control?"

Ennui
2009-09-11, 05:22 PM
Egeas

"Everything you see and hear about them I can control, in all aspects."

As he says this, the men on the ship become silent and salute toward Egeas.

MikelaC
2009-09-11, 07:09 PM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia watches the display of magic with interest, although she has no talent with illusions at this point in her career.

Killerloop
2009-09-11, 10:42 PM
"Yeah" said Bishop smiling "that could be a solution, except that fight won't be real because there will be no sword clashing"

Ennui
2009-09-12, 03:36 AM
Egeas

The men pair up and duel each other, the distinct sound of swords on swords can be heard.

"But this beside the point, sir. Illusions like this invoke suspicion, and quickly become useless," the illusion fades into nothingness, "I was thinking about smaller changes on the battlefield, or before enganging, things the enemy won't be thinking much about or might even want to belief."

Egeas jumps gracefully off the crate.

"But our side would need to know exactly how to act, sir, or everything becomes moot and I should rather focus on adding more disabling spells to my repertoir."

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-12, 04:43 PM
Tork

Watching the illusion Tork's eyes flashed green for a second, his Warlock sight showing him the forgery for what it was.

"Well now that we've finished beating up our boss, anyone mind if I stretch my wings while we wait for the Captain?"

------------------------------
Detect Magic At-Will. I assume that shows me that the illusion isn't real.

kamikasei
2009-09-12, 05:59 PM
"No doubt all of us with a little magic will want to confer and decide how best to use the journey. The chance to trade spells comes too rarely," Marcus replies to Rokar. He's a little disappointed that the halfling's demonstration seems to be done.

MikelaC
2009-09-12, 09:35 PM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia addresses Marcus

I would welcome the chance to share or trade spells, seeing as my own selection is so limited, however the nature of my magic precludes such trading. For I am a sorceress, not a wizard, and my magic springs from within. I could no more teach or learn from you than I could with a dolphin.

Ennui
2009-09-13, 02:31 AM
Egeas

"There is always something to learn, and any knowledge is useful, even if it doesn't increase you spell choice. Although of course I would always take such a chance. "

He turns to Zanthia.

"I would be intrigued to hear another sorcerer's experiences and approaches to the Art, it might greatly help me in my studies. If you wouldn't mind exchanging stories."

Since he has stopped his little illusionary display, Egeas' left hand has resumed its tapping, this time with a more clear rythm, and it sounds almost like the old 'Drunken Sailor'.

Simba
2009-09-14, 03:45 AM
Near the mainmast the Captain steps unto a wooden crate set there for him. Sadin Durov is a human male of middle years, dressed in the civilain version of the Navy uniform, custom tailored to fit his impressive form. He has broad
shoulders, but is relatively short. His impressive moustache and grip features underline his aura of authority.

When he speaks up his basso voice reaches even the last person on board without effort. His tone is cultivated and his choice of words suggests nobel upbringing.

"Welcome on board the Iron Maiden!" he waits for the roaring applause to subside before continuing:
"Some of you have sailed with me before, when the 'Maiden was still in military service. I welcome you back on board and am honored to serve with you once more. You are a fine crew and I am proud to see so many well-known faces. Maybe the deeds we will dare on this mission will rival those during the war, though I seriously doubt it."
He pauses until another wave of applause from the sailors is over. "Those of you who do not know me, I am the Captain of this ship and my name is Sadin Durov. You can address me as Sir, Captain or Captain Durov. Either will do."

"There are a few rules on board every ship and the 'Maiden is no exception. Those of you who sail this ship already
know them and I expect you to follow them. For the others, here it is:"

He pauses for effect before continuing:

"Rule 1: The chain of command is in effect, so you report to your commanders" he nods towards Bishop, the elven mage and the Dwarf leading the 3 groups of adventureres on board "and they in turn report to me. It is as simple as that. If you have a problem you talk to them and they come to me. If I have one with you I will inform them and they will inform you.

Rule 2: This is no military ship anymore, but I expect you to keep her in top condition. This concerns functionality as well as cleanliness and all other aspects. Keep your personal space clean and in order at all times. There will be people responsible for maintainance tasks every day, starting tomorrow morning.

Rule 3: No fighting on board unless ordered by me or your superiors. We have already witnesses some impressive displays of your diverse powers and I am sure you will have plenty of oportunity to use them. Continue your training, but keep yourselves and the 'Maiden safe from harm. We are all literally on the same ship here, so work together and make this mission into a success for all of us!

Rule 4: If you have any information that might help us on this mission, offer it to your commander and talk about it. We need to pool our ressources and I expect you all to share and help where you can!"

"I run a very strict regimen, but I am not unfair. Stick to the rules and you will all have an easier time."

He pauses once more, giving his audience time to let it sink in.

"Today we lifted ancor to embark on a mission of a new kind. We will sail due West, more or less, until we reach the area known as the Dragonmists. Once we reach them we will sail around them to determine their extent before entering. We will then cross them and look for land or anything else that might be of interest."

"Any questions? Now you have a chance to ask me whatever you want, in front of everyone. I will answer to the best of my ability."

BooNL
2009-09-14, 04:00 AM
Rokan

As the Captain speaks, Rokan stays silent. He nods every now and then when the rules are summarized. Silently noting them in his head.

When the Captain is finished he turns to Zanthia and whispers something in her ear. "Well sis, it looks like we're in the army again. I hope you can bring yourself to follow exact orders this time. We wouldn't want an incident like last time."

He chuckles as he recalls an incident involving an incompetent platoon commander and Zanthia's stubborness.

Killerloop
2009-09-14, 05:50 AM
Roll to see if Bishop hears: Take 20+3 = 23

Not sure if I can take 20 on this one, if I can't then ignore

"What are you two whispering there?" said Bishop with low voice "I think I heard the word 'commander', If you have something to ask to the captain now it is a good time"

kamikasei
2009-09-14, 06:06 AM
I don't think you can take twenty on perception checks, because how can you try repeatedly to hear or see something that happens once? Unless it's a fixed or repeating thing, I guess. But you can usually assume you're taking ten all the time, depending on whether the DM feels you're distracted or the DC is higher because of the environment.

For reference, taking 10 gives Marcus a spot of 22 and a listen of 20, and gives Corwin 23 and 21 respectively. Hearing people whisper would probably be DC 20 since we're distracted by the speech, while making out what they're saying would probably then be DC 30.
Marcus looks around with interest at the rest of the crew as the captain speaks. He has no questions himself but in the reactions of the others he can tell the veterans from the new recruits, the eager from the reluctant.

BooNL
2009-09-14, 06:06 AM
Rokan didn't actually use the word commander. You might want to edit that out :smallsmile:

Rokan, still standing straight quickly turns to Bishop. A small look of shame passes his face. "N... nothing sir. I was just commenting on the fact that we are once again in military circumstances."

He relaxes slightly. "It's been a while since I've followed orders. Don't worry, I'm quite used to it though."

Ennui
2009-09-14, 06:08 AM
Egeas

Egeas has stopped his tapping as the captain began his speech, apparently listening attentively, but now the captain has finished his fingers slowly resume their motions, more silently this time.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-14, 06:10 AM
Tork

The Dwarf didn't have any specific queries that couldn't wait. All he wanted now was to get overboard and into the air.

Killerloop
2009-09-14, 06:30 AM
I know that you can't take 20 on perception checks, but we are 1) close to each other 2) the captain had finished speaking and they were whispering in a silent crowd 3) the sentence was long. Not just a little whisper
Anyway it was just for the sake of RPing :)

"Again, if anyone of you has something to say now is REALLY the time to speak, moaning later will not be accepted" whispered Bishop

MikelaC
2009-09-14, 06:34 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia says nothing but she cracks a smile as she recalls the incident to which Rokan is referring. Seeing as no one else seems to be asking a question, she puts her hand up. If and when the captain acknowledges her, she asks her question.

Zanthia Bindar, Sir, sorceress and priestess of Sharess. I was wondering if you could tell us what the rates of pay will be, and what sort of division of treasure we can expect if we defeat opponents in our missions?

Simba
2009-09-14, 06:45 AM
The Captain looks at Zanthia, nods and says: "A good question. You will all receive 300 gp as a signing bonus. Pay is 5 gp per tenday and a share of the treasures we will find, if any. The agreement with the Merchants' Guild is complicated, to say the least. Essentially you will receive a third of all material returned, distributed among all who return from the mission. Should someone fail to return, the pay will be forwarded to relatives, but the share is not. I also have the right to give special bonuses to individuals who show initiative and results above and beyond the call of duty or reduce bonus payment to individuals who did not contribute to our success due to their own failure or lack of initiative. Trust me to be fair in this!"

Killerloop
2009-09-14, 07:11 AM
"Milord, I have one concern" said Bishop "these waters are known to be... not exactly safe, and we are going to push far from the mainland. Should we expect pirate activity? And if so, what are the rules of engagement?"

Simba
2009-09-14, 08:40 AM
"Should we encounter pirates we will sink them. I trust we have enough firepower on board to do that. The Iron Maiden should be fast enough to catch them, in any case. We are flying Merchant's Guild colors so they might be tempted to take a look. Let's talk this topic over tonight, in my cabin. We should have some coordination in place, just in case."

Tyrael
2009-09-14, 11:10 AM
Niko raises his hand. "Sssir, what iz it we ssseek in the Dragonmiztz?"

Simba
2009-09-15, 01:01 AM
"I will be open with this, I think you deserve to know as much as I know here. The Merchants' Guild is sure there is land hidden by the mist, land unknown to us. They seem to trust their source for this, but I do not know who or what their source is. When they asked me to lead this mission they did not specify, but were sure there is much to gain by exploring the Dragonmist. Merchants would never sponsor such a mission if they did not stand to gain a lot. The Iron Maiden was not cheap, she is a good ship. Add the costs for recruiting all of us and you have huge costs for the mission. There must be a reason for this."

He looks around before adding:

"Fact is, we are sailing into the unknown."

BooNL
2009-09-15, 01:34 AM
Rokan

A little too exited of the events yet to come, Rokan shouts in joy. "Well then, you can count on us.

Three cheers for the good Captain. Hip hip hooray!"

Simba
2009-09-15, 01:40 AM
A woman wearing chainmail, with a tatoo on her face, raises her hand once the shouting stops: "Sir, are we going to sail right in? Is there a plan?"

The captain turns to regard her and answers: "Yes, there is a plan. We will first sail once around the mists, to see how far they extend. Once we have done that we will see, but sailing right in is an option at that point."

"Any more questions?"

BooNL
2009-09-15, 02:00 AM
Rokan

Rokan raises his hand. "Sergeant Rokan Bindar, Spellhand, sir. Do we have any means of piercing the mist?

If they're as thick as you mentioned, we should figure out a way to see more than 10 feet ahead of us."

Decided to give myself a military rank. I figured his skill would have earned him at least a small promotion during the war. Of course, he hasn't used the title since the end of the war.

Also, I'm using to be renaming Duskblade to Spellhand, which sounds a bit cooler in my opnion. Also reflects the fact that Rokan isn't an elf and thus hasn't studied the true school of Duskblades.

Simba
2009-09-15, 02:07 AM
"As fas as we know the mist is pretty thick, but there are no relyable reports about that. It might just be thick on the outside or it might be pea soup all the way. We will need to be extra careful in there!"

Tyrael
2009-09-15, 02:11 AM
"Нет, Капитан," Niko replies in Draconic, adding, "No questions, Captain. We will do our job."

Simba
2009-09-15, 03:28 AM
As the questions end, the Captain says: "Thank you for your questions, I will hand over to my commanders now!", steps back down from the crate and waves the Elven ship's mage over.

"My name is Clara Verd, I am this ship's ranking mage and also lead the blue command!"

She nods in the direction of her crew, then continues:

"As there are quite a few arcane spellcasters on board I would like to invite you to my workshop for an informal get-together tonight, after dinner. I would like to know more about your capabilities. Some of you have already asked for access to my workshop, we can coordinate such things there. The captain sugested we make this meeting a regular occurence and I agree on that. More on this tonight!"

She nods to you, then steps down to make room for the First Mate, who jumps up on the crate and looks around before saying: "My name is Svarin Hinderman and I serve Captain Durov as First Mate. I also lead command grey. I will take the fighters and other non-casters under my wing for the first part of our little trip to nowhere. I expect to see all on the foredeck after dinner tonight. We will meet there regularly to spar, talk and maybe drink a little. I brought something special and with the Captain's permission we could sample it tonight. After your meetings are finished the others are of course invited as well!"

Bishop, the ship's cleric steps up next.

Killerloop
2009-09-15, 05:13 AM
The cleric clad in full plate armor stepped on the crate

"My callsign is Bishop, and I am the Ship Cleric who leads the Green Command!" he said raising his right hand

"As the ship cleric, my duty is to make sure that every divine spellcaster here is properly trained, equipped and disciplined for the upcoming days. This does not include only combat duties which may arise, but the everytime job of a cleric I'm sure most of you knows. Plus, no racism under my wing, every race or divine followers are gladly accepted. Druids, blessed souls, clerics, theurges... everyone!"

The cleric paused to catch his breath, then continued with a very calm voice now instead of boasting like before:

"...furthermore, my duty is to provide spiritual advice to those who seek it. If anyone of you need consuel on the matter, of ANY KIND, ask it to me and we will have a private talk about that."

MikelaC
2009-09-15, 06:17 AM
ZANTHIA

Seeing as the meeting appears to be breaking up, Zanthia mingles with the rest of the crew, getting to know people. As she does so, she moves closer to Clara, making sure that she keeps track of where the elven spellcaster is heading, so that she will not miss out on the meeting or on gettting access to the ships magic workshop.

Simba
2009-09-15, 06:24 AM
As the meeting ends the sailors return to their posts without much pause, but the rest gather in small groups and quietly exchange names, boasts and other information.

Is there something/someone specific you want to find out/talk to?

Killerloop
2009-09-15, 06:30 AM
Bishop follows the captain in his cabin up to the entrance.

"Sir" he says "you said that you wanted to talk about the Pirate topic, do you think we will find a lot of them?"

BooNL
2009-09-15, 06:36 AM
Rokan

Rokan walks up to Niko and bows slightly. "It looks like we'll be teamed up. I suggest we train together and develop some tactics." He looks the large lizardfolk up and down, but stops when he sees the bow. "Wow, that thing must shoot arrows as big as my arms. How does it handle?"

Simba
2009-09-15, 06:36 AM
"Ah, Bishop! How is is going with your unit? Pretty interesting group you have there! About the pirates: I am not sure there will be any, but if we find them they will most likely attack us because we will be close to their hideouts. No other reason to sail these waters, my friend. That might be one of the reasons the Merchants' Guild sent us here. But that's only a guess, mind you!"

Killerloop
2009-09-15, 06:41 AM
"Yes, my group is quite good in respect to what I saw today on the deck. I'm quite happy with them if their skill matches their discipline of course." said the cleric

"I have no other queries captain, good night" Bishop bows slightly and leaves, heading for his cabin.

OOC: I'm ready to move on to the next phase :smallsmile:

kamikasei
2009-09-15, 06:51 AM
Marcus also ambles about the deck, not getting to know people in the same way but making and storing impressions of them for later reference: who clumps together with who, the topics their conversations turn to where he can hear them, the tics and gestures that reveal so much that people don't put in to words. He does not approach the elven mage but tracks her out of the corner of his eye, instead moving in a roundabout way towards Egeas. His hands are clasped loosely behind his back, and he hums to himself as he walks. Corwin takes up the duty of surveying the rest of the ship.

"That was an impressive illusion you whipped up earlier!" he addresses the halfing abruptly. "Not a class of spells I've ever studied in any depth, but the quick creativity needed to use them properly always fascinates me. And did I hear you saying earlier you practiced sorcery as well? A rare marriage of talents, no doubt you will be the toast of the table at Ms. Verd's gathering..."

This is Marcus' way of being polite. He of course knows exactly what he heard, but he's learned that revealing that often disturbs people. Nor does he reflexively scratch at his crookedly-set nose as he reflects on this; he's found that doing so gives people ideas.

Ideas Egeas may find stirring in his mind regardless given the insolent scrutiny Marcus is directing towards him...

Would it make sense for Marcus to know who Egeas is, or to be able to guess at his origins even if he doesn't know which of his brothers and sisters he is? Do I just need Ennui's okay for that, or should I roll something?

Ennui
2009-09-15, 11:04 AM
Egeas

"I hope not, to be honest. My spellwork doesn't compare to anyone who solely concentrates on one approach to the Art, and being looked upon as a curiosity, well..."

Egeas returns Marcus' gaze for a while before he decides to continue.

"You've heard about me, or us I should say. I just hope you aren't working for the crown, that would be... Unfortunate."

Go ahead an know what you want to know.

Tyrael
2009-09-15, 01:57 PM
I had written up a big long thing, then Firefox crashed. I'll try again...

Niko

Niko attaches himself to Grey Company quite readily, and seems much more at home among his martial brethren than he was among the full crew. He doesn't speak much of himself and is somewhat reserved, but his actions reveal a new facet of his personality to any curious enough to study him.

Every morning after breakfast, he sets to work around the ship, tying ropes, hauling the anchor, scrubbing the decks, and subjecting himself to the most grueling physical labor a sailor can do. He seems to sink into a rhythmic trance as he goes about his tasks, scarcely uttering a word of complaint even after hours of effort. Working with his hands almost seems to be a cathartic release for the hulking Lizardfolk warrior. He also sings strange (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvqyosmPaoE) songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsdmlJX0Ss&feature=related) in Draconic as he works that nobody knows the words to, but this doesn't seem to dissuade him from belting out his deep baritone across the ocean waters.

After lunch, he gathers with Grey Company and conducts sparring matches with the other warriors of the ship. Setting aside his bow, he uses his enormous door-sized shield and equally huge warhammer to send his partners flying back. A fierce, sharp-toothed grin adorns his scaly muzzle whenever he fights, clearly relishing in the ability to let loose. He is careful never to hit too hard, but he certainly doesn't hold back.

After sparring, he typically spends another hour or two scrubbing the deck to calm himself down again, and then goes over by the railing to stare into the setting sun. It is during these moments when Niko is finally calm enough to open up about himself, but most of the rest of the crew lets him have his quiet time in peace, which is fine with him.

During the days when the ship stops to let the crew rest or when they make a pit stop somewhere, Niko seems to enjoy swimming in the ocean waters alongside the ship, spinning and flashing through the water just as swiftly and gracefully as any dolphin or shark.

At the dinnertable, Niko is polite but reserved, answering personal questions vaguely and returning with many questions of his own. The crew quickly learns to keep him away from any alcohol. When drunk, Niko has a tendency to belt out his Draconic songs over the dinnertable and then promptly pass out on the floor.

Overall, Niko does his best to help the crew out, adapting to shipboard life quickly and living with a very tactile sensation for the world around him.

I'm good to move on, unless someone wants to catch Niko at the railing and chat a bit.

Simba
2009-09-16, 03:42 AM
As the voyage continues you all settle into a confortable rythm. Commands green, blue and grey meet after breakfast, talk a little and get to know each other until lunch. Combat training and magical exchanges take place after lunch while the evenings are free. Dvarin, the dwarven First Mate, keeps his promise and offers his special brew to all who are interested. The beer he hands out is thick and rich, smells slightly of wallnuts and has a bitter aftertaste, but goes down smoothly and does not pack too much of a kick.

You get used to the movents of the ship, the low-quality food and the activities of the sailors around you. Those who want to help get tasks they can manage, the others are basically free to do as they pease.

After about 3 weeks on board you have exchanged all spells you want and prepared some scrolls, learned a lot about fighting on a ship and know the Iron Maiden well enough. When the lookout cries "Sails on the horizon! 2, no, make that 3 ships, headed due west!" you can hardly wait for something to break the slight boredom.

The Captain takes a look through his spyglass and barks commands, followed by a short burst of activity as the ship comes around and heads north, towards the sighted ship.

Murmuring "Let's see what we have found..." the Captain heads back below deck, ordering his First Mate to see to the details.

Dvarin takes a peek through the spyglass himself, then nods and shouts: "All hands ready! Possible hostiles ahead! See to your commands!"
Then he heads towards his group, waving all members to their usual meeting spot beneath the main mast.

Tyrael
2009-09-16, 04:06 AM
Niko

Niko, up in the rigging re-tying some knots, is the first to arrive as he simply leaps down from his post and lands at the foot of the mast with a WUMPH. As has become his habit, he's left all of his equipment in his bunk, and wears only a simple pair of canvas breeches, revealing the enormous muscles of his arms and chest as his scales soak in the warm sun.

Hanging onto a rope, Niko waits for the rest of Grey Green Company to arrive.

Killerloop
2009-09-16, 05:10 AM
Bishop

Bishop arrived on the deck only with a loose shirt carrying his armor and gear, hitting almost anything that could be hit on the way and almost falling facefront on the deck. but managed to stay standing somewhat.

"Green squad, report here now!!" he shouted "and somebody come help me with this damned armor!"

MikelaC
2009-09-16, 06:25 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia scrambles to her position with the Green company, watching for her brother and the rest of the group. When she arrives, she quickly asks

Extra strength or extra health? I can grant a total of 6 boosts, although since their duration is limited, I doubt I would have time for them all

BooNL
2009-09-16, 09:24 AM
Rokan

Rokan had been sparring with another mercenary from Grey Company when the alarm was raised. He hurried over to his company's leader and helps his put on his armour. After a moment, Rokan's deft and with skilled hands manage to strap up Bishop.

"Zanth, get those enhancement spells up as soon as we are boarded." He turns his attention to Bishop. "Sir, what's the plan?"

Tyrael
2009-09-16, 11:15 AM
Niko makes a note to himself to get his gear when the meeting finishes. Following Bishop's order, he helps the other man with his armor.

Killerloop
2009-09-16, 11:18 AM
"Hold your fury friends" said Bishop, now ready for battle "No one says they are hostile. Anyway if you have some long lasting spells it is now a good time to cast them. And that's what I'm about to do now "

You see Bishop exhale, get his holy symbol and concentrate.

kamikasei
2009-09-16, 12:01 PM
The first part of this post employs a literary technique known as "flashback" or, less formally, "shameless retconning".

Egeas

"You've heard about me, or us I should say. I just hope you aren't working for the crown, that would be... Unfortunate."
"I'm aboard to represent the King's interests, actually," Marcus replies absently. He's looking out to sea, but Corwin's gaze is fixed on the halfling. "Which, as I see it, are served by ensuring the strength and harmony of the crew better than by chasing down every old grievance on record. My role here is to look out for what's ahead, not what we're leaving behind."

Marcus arrives on the deck with his weapons in hand, beginning the process of strapping them on once he's in the open air. He stands near Bishop while he does so, waiting to hear what orders the commander gives them.

"I can blind them temporarily, and turn the deck slick under them once they're close," he offers once his blade and bow are ready. "I can also give one person power of flight for a few minutes, and allow as many as six to move and act faster than normal for a short while. Besides that, I have a few more direct attack spells, and my weapons of course. And with luck, if they try to wreak any magic on us, I'll be able to answer it."

Tyrael
2009-09-16, 12:11 PM
"I will gather my equipment," Niko assures Bishop quickly and hurries off towards his cabin.

A few minutes later he returns, fully garbed in his battle plate mail with his enormous weapons hitched and ready to go.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-16, 12:12 PM
Tork

The movement below catching his attention Tork in eagle form returned to deck landing beside Bishop and returning to his true shape. "What's going on boss. You need a hand?"

BooNL
2009-09-16, 12:28 PM
Rokan

Seeing the dwarf fly in and turn back into his birth shape, a thought springs up in Rokan's mind.

"Tork, do you think you'll be able to get close enough to those ships? That might give us some insight into their motives.
If you'd be able to land and listen in to their conversations, all the better."

Killerloop
2009-09-16, 12:41 PM
Bishop

"As I said, hold your fury, they could be friendly" said Bishop with a very calm voice.

"...and you didn't consider the option that they could have more spellcasters than us, or more experienced. No offense intended of course. "

"So, Marcus, do your powers allow you to see who and what's inside those boats? Anything would be helpful"

"About your idea Rokan it is nice but too dangerous. Even if they aren't hostile if he gets discovered he would be alone into an enemy ship. I can't and don't want to take the risk"

"The lesson for today is: NEVER understimate your enemies"

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-16, 01:33 PM
Tork

"I could, but grey eagles aren't exactly common around these parts, I believe Bishop's capture theory would be far too likely" the Druid says as he clips the Cleric's chestplate in place.

"If I can make a request may I throw spare rope across the deck? A spell I have prepared will require flexible vegetable matter to function."*

-------------------------
*Assuming rope is compatible with Entangle.

Ennui
2009-09-16, 02:40 PM
Egeas

Egeas remains detachedly calm, the only thing he does ist cast Mage Armor and Shield on himself and nod at Bishop's last remark.

Simba
2009-09-17, 12:48 AM
As you draw closer to the ships you can see that they have turned wround as well and are now headed your way.

The ships are low, light affairs of around 40' length with single masts, fast and extremely maneuverable. Their sails are black, with a white dragon on them. They show no flags at all.

BooNL
2009-09-17, 01:32 AM
Rokan

As his commander talks and handwaves his tactic, Rokan nods and remains silent. He might not agree, but he knows when not to question his superior.
When the sails come into clear view, Rokan squints his eyes to discern the markings on them.

Going for a Knowledge check here to see if Rokan can recognise the sails. Not sure which to use, so pick the right check.

1d20+12
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

BooNL
2009-09-17, 01:33 AM
Can't believe that got through my spell checker :smallbiggrin:.

[roll0]

Ennui
2009-09-17, 01:43 AM
Egeas

If he had eyebrows, Egeas' right one would move slightly upwards as he sees the sails; he grips his staff tightly, trying to remember.

Knowledge checks (roll for me if I forgot one which applies, please):

History:[roll0]
Nobility:[roll1]
Geography:[roll2]
Religion:[roll3]
Local:[roll4]

Simba
2009-09-17, 01:54 AM
None of you can really recognize the dragon symbol on the Sails.

Egeas:

You remember something about a group of pirates coming out of nowhere on fast ships, taking all they can and slaying everyone, using strange powers that remind you of your own ancestry.

Simba
2009-09-17, 04:37 AM
The 3 black-sailed ships form a triangle, trying to flank the Iron Maiden while one ship stays in front of her, slowing her down. Sofar they seem to have overlooked the Balistas just under deck on each side..or they simply don't care.

kamikasei
2009-09-17, 04:43 AM
[roll0] - rolling without modifiers so you can just use whatever's applicable. Arcana is +13, history, local, geography, and nobility & royalty are all +9.

"So, Marcus, do your powers allow you to see who and what's inside those boats? Anything would be helpful"

Marcus shakes his head regretfully. "I have a spell to see at a distance, but it would not work. It takes too long to cast, could not follow their movement, and by the time they were close enough they would be clearly visible through mundane spyglasses."

BooNL
2009-09-17, 04:55 AM
Rokan

As the ships close in, Rokan turn his attention to his commander. "Well sir, are you still doubting their intent?

This looks like a clear box-formation. If we allow them to gain the initiative, we will be beset on three fronts. That doesn't look good."

He squints at the ship closest to him, trying to make out any shapes on deck.

[roll0]

And I just found out I forgot to put any ranks in spot...

Simba
2009-09-17, 05:09 AM
The Captain comes back up and shouts "Ready the balistas, fire at my command! All hands battle stations! Commanders, act at your own initiative!"

He wears armor now and a heavy shield, his cutlas in hand.

The box formation around you closes slowly, the smaller, faster ships closing in around you. On deck you can see more people than you would hace expected, around 20 on each ship. They are an odd asortment of people of different races, genders and colors, armed to the teeth.

On the ship in front of you, around 100' away, a woman lifts some kind of item to her face and you all hear a loud, booming voice: "Surrender to the dragons' teeth!"

BooNL
2009-09-17, 05:14 AM
Rokan

At the woman's threat, Rokan drops his spear on the floor and draws his longbow. He drops his backpack in a far-away corner, so he has easy access to his quiver. He grabs an arrow and readies it on his bow.

He doesn't take aim yet, instead he looks over to Bishop. "At your command sir."

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-17, 05:17 AM
Tork

Seeing the inevitability of the situation the Dwarf raises his black-scale shield and calls a sphere of purple energy to his palm, steadying his aim.

-----------------
Ready action to Eldritch Blast the first sucker who boards us.

Also: EB while Shapeshifted? Sorry to keep repeating myself, but it will affect my stategy in the immediate future.

Killerloop
2009-09-17, 05:37 AM
Bishop

You now see Bishop in his complete battle outfit. He wears full plate armor with the gloves replaced by leather ones, inscribed with magical runes. A heavy shield is strapped to his right arm and a weird-looking club on the left one reveals that Bishop is left handed.
You see a wooden holy symbol of Cuthbert fixed with iron and leather strings to his neck, like an amulet of some sort and a sickle made of silver hanging by his belt.

"Damnit, I didn't expect to be surrounded... those ships are too fast for the Iron Maiden" said Bishop, looking worried.

"CLARA! SVEDIN!! We will guard the left side!!" shouted Bishop

"Rokan and everyone" said Bishop raising the armed left hand "once I lower my arm the order is simple: Fire at Will with everything you have"

"Once we begin I will pray St. Cuthbert for a Circle of Protection From Evil. For those unfamiliar with it will strenghten our defences against evil creatures and follow it with a Blessing that will strenghten our combat skills. If someone has other spells that can be useful to the team now it is a good time to say it."

Simba
2009-09-17, 05:47 AM
Half the crew has disapeared below deck and you can hear them hastily loading the ballistas. There are too few of them to man all 24 (12 on each side), but they are also needed on deck to sail the ship and repell boarders, should the need arise.

kamikasei
2009-09-17, 05:56 AM
Marcus has his bow in hand and strung, but hasn't reached for an arrow yet, seeming to appraise the range to the other ship and eying the enemies' armour speculatively. "I have a spell to grant us speed, but it will last less than a minute. I'll cast it now, unless you think it better saved for a more opportune moment."

Will they try to draw close to board, he wonders, or pepper them with arrows from afar? While he watches and tries to judge, his right hand moves automatically through a series of intricate motions concluding with a firmly spoken string of syllables meaningless to any non-arcanists in earshot. The air in front of him shimmers; a similar distortion appears before Corwin on his shoulder perch.

Casting shield on myself and sharing it with Corwin, for +4 shield bonus to AC. Marcus would have cast and shared an extended mage armor this morning as a matter of routine (12 hour duration), I have that on my sheet as a fixed bonus.

BooNL
2009-09-17, 06:10 AM
Rokan

"Should they pepper us with fire or ice, I can protect us from the elements. The spell only affect individuals and will rapidly deplete my magical reserves, making me less effective in combat. So I will only cast it if absolutely nessesary."

As he finishes, he readies his bow and takes aim. Silently waiting for Bishop's command to attack.

Simba
2009-09-17, 06:11 AM
"CLARA! SVEDIN!! We will guard the left side!!" shouted Bishop

Team grey moves to the starboard side while team blue moves up front.

All around you sailors raise wooden planks that were cleverly hidden as part of the reiling and fix them, leaving slits in between, to serve as shields.

Clara, the Ship's Mage, raises her hands and shouts some arcane words into the wind.

For those of you with spellcraft:
No need to roll, she raised a potent protection against fire over the ship.

MikelaC
2009-09-17, 06:23 AM
ZANTHIA

As the boats begin to box the Iron Maiden in, Zanthia doesnt even bother to wait for Bishops command (OOC:Because Zanthia lives in a Canadian time zone and woke up to a whole bunch of posts, so hoping this can be at least some retro) and begins to cast her enchantments. She begins with a Bless on all the members of her group and then moves to the individual enhancements.

Ennui
2009-09-17, 07:18 AM
Egeas

Egeas was lost in thoughts for a moment too long, and as he watches Clara cast her spell he comes to his senses.

"Not fire, ice," he half whispers to himself, "COLD, CAST WHAT YOU CAN AGAINST COLD AND ICE."

Having only the inadequate Endure Elements at his disposal, Egeas does nothing to heed his own advice, but decides it might be better to change his appearance to that of a normal halfling's, so he casts Extended Disguise Self on him, now looking like a halfling sailor. As a last preparation for battle he moves to a position which lets him be in casting range of his spells of the maximum possible portion of the ship.

Simba
2009-09-17, 08:10 AM
As the shutters keeping out the water from the ballistas' gunholes drop down the captain raises his hand, then shouts "Go! Fire and reload!"

The first volley hits the 2 ships running parallel by surprise. 6 massive bolts hit each of them, crashing trough shields, crewmen, planking and sails alike, causing massive damage and killing pirates. Both enemy ships react quicky, though, and close in at once. Loaded crossbows are readied and aimed and they get to 30' of you, closing quickly.

OOC: You have one round to act, all buffs are in place, give 'em 'ell!

Killerloop
2009-09-17, 08:23 AM
Ok, so as far as i know I am under the effect of Zanthia's bless, bull strength and bear endurance.

Bishop casts Magic Circle against Evil, giving to the whole green team a +2 AC deflection and saving throws vs evil creatures. He casts Bull' Strength on Niko.
He then casts on itself: Entropic Shield, Enlarge Person and Flame of Faith upon his club.

Bishop lowered his arm

"FIRE! FIRE AT WILL!! Everyone with something that can be thrown, give them hell!" shouted Bishop at the top of his lungs.

He is towering over you now, except Niko, due to his large size. A flame engulfes his club, making him a very evocative presence on board.

Current effects:
Bless: +1 attack rolls and save vs fear
BullStrenght: +4 STR
BearEndurance: +4 CON, this means +12 hitpoints
MagicCircle: +2 AC vs evil creatures
Entropic Shield: Ranged 20% to miss
Enlarge Person: Large Bishop!! :) Club does 2d6 + other things
Flame of Faith: Treat weapon as a flaming burst one.

This means extra 5' reach, AC 22(24), hitpoints 56/56, 36/36 rounds left

BooNL
2009-09-17, 08:28 AM
Rokan

Finally hearing the command from his superior, Rokan takes aim at one of the pirates and fires a quick volley of arrows. Slightly annoyed that he waited this long and only to fire shot a weak shot. He grabs another arrow and takes aim once again.

kamikasei
2009-09-17, 08:48 AM
At Bishop's command, Marcus moves from careful observation of the enemy to swift action. Dropping the bow from his left hand, he draws a handful of materials from the pouch at his hip, while his right reaches across to remove a small dart from the same source and sweeps across himself as if throwing a blade. The small dart he drew from the pouch doesn't leave his hand, but an implausible projectile of conjured, noxious liquid springs from the arc of his hand at his shouted incantation, flashing across the gap between the ships to strike at his chosen target.

AC 21 (23), touch 12 (14), ff 19 (21)
HP 28

MikelaC
2009-09-17, 09:04 AM
ZANTHIA

Finished with her buffing actions, Zanthia takes aim at the same pirate her brother fired at, however instead of loosing an arrow, arcane power crackles from her fingers and reddish-blue bolts streak from them, solidly connecting with him. She takes a moment to smirk a look at Rokan.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-17, 09:07 AM
Tork

As the ships approached the Dwarf decided that spellcasting was covered, and he would be better served as an artillery piece. So casting a single spell to speed his strides Tork threw forward his arms and shifted into mountain lion form, charging a pulse of green energy within his teeth and assaulting the nearest pirate.

----------------
Current Stats:
AC: 23 / T: 14 / FF: 19 (+2 from Magic Circle)
HP: 54

Bless
Magic Circle from Evil
Cat's Grace

Ennui
2009-09-17, 10:58 AM
Egeas

Egeas has found the perfect spot somewhat removed from the actual fighting and still in range to cast his force missiles at his carefully chosen targets; only his mouth and hands moving while he so watches the beginning battle.

Tyrael
2009-09-17, 12:32 PM
Niko

The lizardfolk warrior draws his bow and takes careful aim upon the woman who called upon them to surrender. Carefully drawing an enormous arrow from his quiver that looks nearly the size of one of the ballista bolts, he draws it back to his cheek with a grunt of exertion, leveling it at the woman's distant form. After a moment of consideration, he grits his teeth and draws it back farther, the bow creaking slightly under the stress. With a savage snarl, he looses the arm-sized arrow and watches it fly towards his target.

I have a vague memory of you wanting some sort of special formatting for our combat rolls, but I couldn't find the relevant post, so I'll just do it the way I always do it.

Move Action: Draw Greatbow
Standard Action: Vital Strike (Pathfinder feat, take a Standard Attack at highest BAB and roll all damage twice) with Deadly Shot (Pathfinder feat, -2 to attack & +4 to damage).
[roll0]
[roll1]

Simba
2009-09-18, 04:41 AM
Rokan fires 2 arrows at some pirates, but misses with both of them.

While Bishop waits, enlarged and ready to repell boarders, Marcus fires an Acid Arrow at a burly pirate with 2 handaxes and rather heavy armor, hitting the guy. Screams can be heard as the acid slowly dissolves the armor and works on the guy within.

Where Rokan's arrows missed, Zanthia's Magic Misslies hit their target square on.

Tork assumes his Mountain Lion form and smarls at the pirates, sending a pulse of green energy at the pirate in acid-riddled armor, dropping the guy who goes overboars and sinks, his screams ending suddenly.

Egeas looks for a smaller pirate and hits him with a Magic Missile, causing the guy to duck back into cover.

Niko pulls his great bow back with all his might, loosing a single arrow at the pirates' leader, who quickly ducks and avoids being hit. She looks a little angry and by her look Niko can guess who her first target might be.

"Casters on board! Hit them hard!" she shouts as the pirates retaliate with all their might. Arrows fly, bolts streak through the air as the pirates do their best to hit you with everything they can. A great ball of fire comes flying from the lead ship, hitting your main mast and sails, but dissolving into nothing, absorbed by the protective magic on the ship.

Rokan, Tork and Niko are ignored by the pirates' attacks while Bishop seems to be a main target for them, targeted by several pirates, but all attacks miss the giant cleric or harmlessly bounce off his armor.

Marcus is also missed, but both Zanthia and Egeas get hit by an arrow each.

As the ships draw closer you have one more chance to engage them in ranged combat before the ships clash.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-18, 05:17 AM
Tork

Allowing himself a roar of triumph Tork dodges the hail of projectiles as best he can, calling more energy from his soul and unleashing it at his next victim.

--------------------
Eldritch Blast: [roll0] / [roll1]

Current Stats:
AC: 23 / T: 14 / FF: 19 (+2 from Magic Circle)
HP: 54

Bless
Magic Circle from Evil
Cat's Grace

Ennui
2009-09-18, 05:48 AM
Egeas

Seeing that the pirates are coming closer Egeas runs towards the soon to begin melee and draws his weapon. Once he arrives he dips the claw of his index finger in a transparent liquid from a vial in his component pouch, and draws it in swift but precise movements across his chest. The resulting sigils and runes glow deep purple for a split second before fading away.

MikelaC
2009-09-18, 06:12 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia yelps in pain as the arrow pierces her arm, but maintains her concentration. She repeats the actions she made in the last round, and fires off another set of magic missiles at the same pirate she hit in the last round, hoping to finish him off.

Killerloop
2009-09-18, 06:34 AM
"Good job" said Bishop grinning, happy that his team began scoring 'points' on the pirates.

Retailation was swift, but no arrow could pierce the protection of the cleric.

"Come on, try again you filthy, smelly, pathetic excuses for a pirate!! Maybe next time you will be lucky!"

He turns suddenly hearing Zanthia's yelp, thanks to Cuthbert the wound wasn't lethal.

Bishop sidestepped, his right hand glowing dimly with blue light. "Here, let me" he said, touching the wounded arm.

kamikasei
2009-09-18, 06:43 AM
"Hold your fire a moment, and I may be able to give you an easier shot," Marcus calls out in a voice not loud but pitched to carry. With his left hand he finds a packet of dust in his pouch; his right begins to trace seals in the air. Watching the enemy closely, he waits for the wind.

BooNL
2009-09-18, 09:04 AM
Rokan

The hobgoblin curses his luck as both his arrows miss. Following the rest of the battle out of the corners of his eyes, he takes aim once again. He steadies his hands and relaxes his shoulders before letting loose another volley of arrows.

"Bishop, Niko. Be prepared, it looks like they'll be able to board any moment now!"

Tyrael
2009-09-18, 11:26 AM
Niko

"Да!" Niko shouts. He draws his bow back with all of his might, zeroing in on the woman again and letting fly. Unfortunately, the swaying deck messes up his aim, and the enormous shaft goes flying harmlessly off into the horizon. As the ships close, he stows his bow and pulls out his enormous hammer with a roar.

Standard Action: Vital Strike/Deadly Shot
[roll0]
[roll1]
Move Action: Draw Maul/Tower Shield, put away Greatbow.

kamikasei
2009-09-20, 12:11 PM
Once the pirates loose their second volley, Marcus has the measure of the wind, and knows how to place his conjuration. "!" he speaks clearly but unintelligibly, his right hand completing its motions while his left draws out and opens the packet of dust, dispersing it in to the air. In sympathy the air above the approaching ship's deck seems to explode into a haze of scintillating golden flecks, sowing confusion.

That's a DC 16 Will save per pirate (sorry!) caught in the effect. 10' radius, so half the length of the ship, and of course Marcus will be placing it to get as many or as dangerous-looking enemies as possible.

Simba
2009-09-21, 03:56 AM
Another waive of arrows, bolts and javelins showers the deck of Iron Maiden, mostly boucing off raised shields and protective barriers, but hitting Bishop and Egeas.

Your retalliation comes swiftly and effectively.

Bishop cures the wounds Zanthia received with a quick prayer. Zanthia casts another volley of Magic Missiles, hitting the same pirate again.

Niko fires another massive arrow, but a sudden shift in the ship's position caused by the clash with the pirate ship fouls his aim.

Tork releases another blast of eldrich fire, hitting a pirate squarely.

Marcus waves his hands in arcane gestures, showering the enemy ship in glittering dust. Over a dozen pirates are effected, suddenly blinded by the glittering particles in their eyes.

Eneas moves throught he gestures of a spell and finishes it without a problem.

Rokan fires hiw bow once again, hitting a pirate with 2 arrows before dropping it in favor of his spear.

The ships clash as the pirates' vessel closes to boarding distance. With a roar the remaining pirates jump on board, engaging you in hand-to-hand combat.

BooNL
2009-09-21, 04:11 AM
Rokan

As the first pirates board the ship, Rokan grins widely. Finally the battle is on. He lowers his shoulder and gets ready to act. As soon as the first pirate sets foot on the ship, the hobgoblin yells a war-cry and rushes at one of the pirates in an attempt to push him overboard.

kamikasei
2009-09-21, 04:42 AM
Marcus watches with satisfaction as his spell wreaks havoc among the other crew. Not pausing in his arcane gestures, he makes another sign and speaks another syllable and a droplet of acid appears before him to dart across the gap and find a vulnerable spot on one of the pirates.

HP 28

The glitterdust has 6 rounds duration, by the way.

MikelaC
2009-09-21, 06:11 AM
ZANTHIA

If Zanthia is worried about the fact that the pirates have now boarded the ship, she does not appear to display it. Without a single change in her form, she continues to fire on the pirate she has hit twice before, barraging him with yet a third dose of magic missiles.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-21, 06:18 AM
Tork

As the pirates board, the grey lion's muscles tense and he charges the enemy, coating his fangs in deep green energy.

-----------------------------
Movement Speed 50ft. if that gets me in melee range of an enemy.

Use Hideous Blow to add Eldritch Blast to Predator Form Bite attack.

Attack: [roll0] / Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] = [16]

Tyrael
2009-09-21, 10:58 AM
Niko

"RRRAAAHHHH!!" With a roar of aggression, Niko charges forward at the nearest pirate as he jumps aboard, hoping to knock the pirate off into the sea. The enormous tower shield on his arm slams into the pirate, sending him flying backwards.

Full-Round Action: Charge

[roll1]
[roll=Bull Rush (no AoO)]1d20+13
AC is now 26 from charging.

Ennui
2009-09-21, 11:42 PM
Egeas

Egeas waits for the pirates to come closer and after a probing attack at his target he quickly moves into a flanking position with one of his comrades once he sees the possibility.

Simba
2009-09-24, 07:43 AM
Egeas moves a little to the side, aiming to flank the rushing pirates, but his attack fails to connect and opens their way towards Marcus, who quickly slings an Acid Ball across to the other ship, killing a pirate with it.

Rokan rushes a pirate trying to board and pushes him overboard. A pirate watches his comerade fall, but uses the oportunity to slash at Rokan, thinking him open to attack, but still failing to hit him. That was close!

Niko follows suit, using his superior might to great advantage. Another pirate leaves the ship!

Tork, in the form of a great hunting cat, jumps on another pirate, spraying him with arcane might and causing the guy to stumble on the deck, losing his ballance. A splash marks the spot where he lands in the water.

Bishop trips the next pirate to board, smashing his weapon down on the helpless villain who quickly slides backwards, trying in vain to reach the safety of his own ship.

Zanthia, protected from the pirates by her big brother, fires another magic missile at the pirate she targeted before, felling him easily.

The pirates facing Egeas and Marcus split up, each one closing on one of their enemies. The one in front of Marcus slashes at him with twin Cutlasses, but only hitting with one, while the other one aims his Longsword at Egeas and stabs, causing light wound.

Here is the situation now:

http://h.imagehost.org/t/0217/ShipCombat1_Round4.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0217/ShipCombat1_Round4)

kamikasei
2009-09-24, 08:20 AM
Marcus swears, inaudible over the din of combat, as the pirate's swung cutlass slashes at his left arm. With his right, he draws out his rapier, positioning himself to flank his foe with his nearest ally, and stabs up beneath the enemy's ribs.

HP 28

5 rounds remaining on glitterdust.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-24, 08:28 AM
Tork

Out of teeth reach of an enemy Tork backs up off the platform; he didn't fancy his chances in the water. As soon as the next pirate moves within range he will unleash a roar that would make a grown man wet themselves, followed by a ray of green energy straight into their chest.

Killerloop
2009-09-24, 09:09 AM
A sweep movement, inespected by such a large full plate warrior and the pirate was on his feet. Bishop cleverly followed with a massive blow to the head which was felt by the pirate but didn't manage to knock him out.

"Niko!! Back them up!! I can handle enemies myself here" ordered Bishop pointing Egeas and Marcus on the right flank.

MikelaC
2009-09-24, 09:10 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia smiles as her spell finishes off her first opponent, and then calmly selects a second target. Thinking that questioning a pirate might provide valuable information for their mission, she changes tactics slightly, and draws on her priestess training to cast a hold person attempting to freeze him in his tracks.

BooNL
2009-09-24, 12:52 PM
Rokan

Rokan grins widely and roars a victory as the first pirates go overboard. Seeing Zanthia casting a holding spell on their closest target, Rokan looks around and surveys the battle.

As he notices a breach in the line, he prepares to draw on his arcane might. He starts chanting and his eyes shine a bright green colour every time he repeats his chant, he raises his spear and points it towards a pirate close to Marcus and Egeas. A green light extends from his hands and pulses along the shaft, shooting a green ball of energy towards hs target.

Tyrael
2009-09-24, 01:37 PM
Niko

"Understood!" Niko shouts to Bishop above the clamor of battle. "Good luck, comrade!"

He steps back, letting his armor deflect another blow from the pirate, and withdraws a safe distance behind Bishop, switching his weapons again and drawing his enormous bow as he backs up against the mast.

He narrows his eyes, sighting on the pirates in the melee, but he can't pick out a Precise Shot to land. The Lizardfolk shifts his aim instead towards the commanding woman on the other deck. With a snarl, he lets the enormous shaft fly. Unfortunately, the ships lurch again as he fires, and another enormous arrow shoots harmlessly over the railing. "сукин сын!" he curses in Draconic.

Move Action: Move back to the mast, provoking an AoO from the Pirate that Bishop is fighting, and switching weapons while on the move.
Standard Action: Vital Strike against the commander lady, or if she's not there, then the next most important-looking pirate I can see.
[roll0]
[roll1]

I HAVE THE WORST ROLLS EVER TODAY.:smallfurious:

MikelaC
2009-09-24, 01:55 PM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia finishes her casting with a flourish, as she does so, she sees the bolt of eldritch fire shooting from her little brothers spear, and cannot resist the chance to needle him.

Now, you see, if you just concentrated on that sort of stuff, instead of trying to stick people with sharp, pointy things....you would be soooo much more effective

Ennui
2009-09-27, 02:54 AM
Egeas

Showing no reaction to the pirates' attacks, Egeas takes a step back and three invisible bullets impact on the pirate in front of him.

Simba
2009-09-28, 03:32 AM
Combining your prowess in battle with your arcane might you have almost cleared your side of the ship. The last pirate looks around, sees that he is alone and reteats on board of his own ship (AoO for Marcus on him!).

As your side seems well under control you have time to turn and look for the other teams. It seems the pirates' atempts to board were all repulsed. The pirate vessel behind you has been set on fire and is drifting away from you, burning brightly, no man moving on board.

The team on the foredeck is still engaged in ranged combat with the lead pirate vessel, exchanging volley of arrows and bolts, intermixed with arcane strikes.

Below you, the sound of half a dozen balistas being fired can be heard and a shudder runs through the pirate vessel in front of you. At point blank range the damage of 6 bolts seems to be too much for the light ship and it starts to drift away, unmanned as all pirates are either more or less motionless on deck - caught by a spell - or overboard.

BooNL
2009-09-28, 03:39 AM
Rokan

I'm assuming the pirate held by Zanthia's spell is still on board? If not, I'll change my post.

Roaring a victory, Rokan shouts. "That's right dogs, flee! You pathetic excuses for pirates!"
As his laughter subsides he looks around to check up on his team. Luckily, no one was dangerously injured. He notices the pirate held by Zanthia's spell and walks up to him. "Nice work Zanth, you turned him into a lawn ornament." He walks around the pirate and pokes him with a finger. "Can anyone tie this dog up? We might learn more from him."

He looks over to the battle still raging on the foredeck and turns to Bishop. "Sir, what are your orders? Do we hold or engage?"

Tyrael
2009-09-28, 03:58 AM
Niko

The towering Lizardfolk moves up to the foredeck and joins the team of archers trading fire with the lead pirate ship. Drawing a bead on the commanding pirate woman on deck, he lets fly another enormous shaft. Soaring across the water, an arrow the size of a tree branch slams into the chest of Niko's target.

Move Action: Move up and join the archery team on the foredeck.
Standard Action: [roll0]
[roll1]

FINALLY. Rolled crap for damage, but at least I HIT SOMETHING.

Killerloop
2009-09-28, 04:12 AM
Bishop moved towards the helpless pirate and with a massive blow knocked him out for good, then tied him with a rope.

"Ok, he will sleep for quite a while. I'm going there" said Bishop, pointing at the sinking ship "to see if we can found something interesting. The choice is yours, either you go with me or you go to the foredeck and give a hand to the guys there.
Either way, we will be back and at the foredeck in five minutes."

BooNL
2009-09-28, 04:15 AM
Rokan

The hobgoblin nods at Bishop, picks up his backpack and firmly grips his spear. "I'm with you Bishop."

Tyrael
2009-09-28, 04:24 AM
Niko

"Good luck, comrades!" Niko shouts over his shoulder as he readies another arrow for the next barrage.

Simba
2009-09-28, 04:48 AM
The pirate ship slowly slips away from Iron Maiden, but seems to be seaworthy for the moment. It should hold on for 5 minutes if you can stop it from slipping away.

Iron Maiden slowly starts to turn, trying to get a broarside towards the lead pirate vessel. As you hear the commands issued by the Captain you know what to expect. A full volley of 12 Balista bolts should damage the lead pirate ship enough to slow it down and make boarding possible.

Niko's arrow finally hits the enemy leader, drawing a deep gash along her forarm. She reorientates towards the big Lizardman and starts to weave her hands in arcane gestures. Azure enery collects around her hand as she raises it towards Niko. Then a bolt of icy blue shoots at him, but misses by a wide margin, shooting out over the seas. The pirate lady grimasses and starts on a new spell imediately.

MikelaC
2009-09-28, 06:09 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia is not quite sure what the range is on her arcane missiles, or exactly how far the enemy ship is, but she comes to the front of the vessel, and targets the lead pirate lady with a magic missile, hoping it can cover the distance.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-28, 06:44 AM
Tork

Seeing the sinking ship Tork reacts instinctively, rather than as his military minded commander would prefer.

Leaping from the edge of the ship Torks muscular form gave way to a cloud of feathers, a piercing screech issuing from his beak. As the eagle flew to the ship it let out another bolt of energy at the last non-blinded pirate, hoping to deal with him before flying properly into the vessel.

Ennui
2009-09-28, 08:23 AM
Egeas

Without any effort Egeas cleans his cloths and weapons, and secures his morningstar on his belt again.

Should his help not be needed he just keeps watching for any problems within his range of skills.

Tyrael
2009-09-28, 11:17 AM
Niko

The Lizardfolk's sharp-toothed mouth gapes wide in an exultant grin as the icy bolt soars past him. Fighting alongside brothers in arms, attacking in formation while sudden death rains past you on all sides...Now this is what being alive feels like!

Carefully, he sinks to one knee to keep his head down in the crossfire. Drawing back his enormous bow again, Niko lets fly another soaring shaft.

Move Action: Kneel, +2 AC vs ranged attacks
[roll1]

Simba
2009-09-29, 06:15 AM
The pirate leader is hit by Niko's heavy arrow and rocked on her feet, losing controll of her spell. With a shout of defiance, she starts over, angry eyes fixed on Niko.

Niko and Egeas stay on board, helping with the ranged attacks on the lead pirate vessel.

The burning pirate ship drifts away from Iron Maiden, merrily blazing away. Nobody can be seen moving around on board, but a sailor shouts: "Sharks in the water!"

Bishop and those following him board the third pirate vessel after securing it to Iron Maiden to prevent drifting off. 7 pirates are still milling around, blinded. The rest of the ship seems to be deserted. 2 ladders can be seen, leading down into the hold, one in front, one futher back.

BooNL
2009-09-29, 06:50 AM
Rokan

Seeing the blinded pirates still wandering around, Rokan turns to Bishop and puts his finger to his mouth. Despite the fact that they are both warriors, they don't have the time to fight the blinded enemies.

He will move to the first ladder, keeping his eyes open for any inclinations as to who those pirates are as well as any valuables worth looting.

Killerloop
2009-09-29, 07:29 AM
Bishop nods with the head and makes hand gestures towards the group and moves to the second ladder.

The signs means, "split up. half follow niko and half follow me"

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-29, 07:57 AM
Tork

The eagle/Dwarf will follow Rokan down the first ladder.

----------------
Sorry for the short responce, but I'm having idssues at the moment. I'll try and pad it out later.

kamikasei
2009-09-29, 07:59 AM
Marcus dithers for a moment after his stab at the fleeing enemy goes wide, undecided whether to follow the others on to the ship and assist in the search, or remain aboard to spend his remaining magic on the other attackers.

The decision only takes a moment before he boards the pirate vessel after Bishop. "Bishop!" he calls after the cleric before he can move below deck. With a gesture of his own he indicates the milling blinded pirates and gives the agreed signal for "spell won't last". Raised eyebrows silently ask how they are to deal with the briefly incapacitated enemies.

Killerloop
2009-09-29, 08:09 AM
"Damnit, I hoped to get in and out before they recover their senses" grumbled Bishop

"Well... ROKAN! WAIT!" he shouted, to get the attention of all the pirates.

"Worthless scum" he began in a threating tone, speaking to the pirates "you are blinded, surrounded and badly outnumbered. Drop your weapons and lay down on the floor RIGHT NOW! Anyone who doesn't obey will be executed where he stands. You have five seconds to comply"

After this Bishop indicate his weapon and one of the pirates, then proceeds to do the same for everyone.

Intimidate: [roll0] +4 because they are medium and bishop is large at the moment

Gesture means: "pick your targets"

BooNL
2009-09-29, 08:17 AM
Rokan

Silently cursing at this turn of events, Rokan quickly drops into another fighting stance. Not impressed by Bishop's threat, he shouts. "Anyone caught doing anything funny will be skewered on the end of my spear." To drive his point home, he pokes one of the pirates lightly with his spear.

"Comply and we might show mercy."

That roll was terrible Killerloop, maybe this'll convince them.

[roll0]

Alternatively, this could be seen as an Aid Another check, if Simba will not allow two rolls.

kamikasei
2009-09-29, 08:23 AM
"You've attacked a ship of the King's Navy. A death sentence doesn't even need enough paperwork to be worth withholding at this point. But contrition may buy you a shot at life." Marcus speaks from a distance, aiming for a reasonable offer rather than a naked threat. Once he's said his piece, though, he picks a pirate with as much metal armour as is in evidence and closes to a few feet away.

Attempting a [roll0] check. Setting up to cast shocking grasp if violence is necessary: moving so as to be able to cast the spell without provoking, then take a five-foot step to deliver the touch attack. Hoping to find an enemy with enough metal to enable the +3 bonus on the attack.

HP 28

4 rounds remaining on glitterdust.

Simba
2009-09-29, 08:37 AM
The pirates - having heard their commerades die swiftly under your spells and weapons - exchange a few short words - some kind of secret tongue - but then lay down, dropping their weapons.

BooNL
2009-09-29, 08:44 AM
Rokan

"You have made a wise choice dogs." He unshoulders his backpack and flings it over to Bishop. "I will keep my eye on these wretches. If you find anything useful below deck, you can stow it in my pack."

He then starts gathering up the weapons dropped by the pirates. "Alright, dogs. You will stay silent and still, if any of you move you will get skewered. If any of you try anything, you will get skewered. In fact, if you even blink, you will get skewered.

When you blinded fades, I want you all to move towards the mast and lie face down on the deck. Am I understood?"

kamikasei
2009-09-29, 08:46 AM
Marcus, relieved that the pirates have surrendered, crosses over to Bishop. "Do we split up to search and restrain them, or sort them out before tackling the rest of the ship?" he asks quietly. Meanwhile, he's surveying the deck - it occurs to him that if there's a boat or dinghy aboard, they could tow the prisoners in it rather than trying to accommodate them aboard the Maiden.

Killerloop
2009-09-29, 09:01 AM
Rokan pack falls at Bishop feet.
He pauses a moment, then you see him become red in face, walk towards Rokan and slam the pack on the hobgoblin's chest

"you IDIOT!" said Bishop "there could be mages among them, or monks, or BOTH! Check out for pouches wth strange materials and unusual things and remove them. Then tie 'em up hands AND feet! Tight!"

"At this point you MAY keep guard, not before. Remember... an ounce of prevention avoids tons of cure"

Then, relaxing, he turned towards Marcus.

"Rokan keeps an eye on them, we search the ship for anything or anyone splitting up in two teams. I do not trust this ship to sail for long and I don't want to take any chance who could put our lives at risk."

He then grabs the nearest pirate: "Is there someone else on board? If u lie to me now the next time we meet I'll arrange you to be fed to the sharks. THOSE sharks *he points the sea*, and one piece at a time."

Intimidate: [roll0]

Simba
2009-09-29, 09:07 AM
He then grabs the nearest pirate: "Is there someone else on board? If u lie to me now the next time we meet I'll arrange you to be fed to the sharks. THOSE sharks *he points the sea*, and one piece at a time."

The pirate looks afraid and answers: "Noone, Sir! We were all on deck, Sir!"

MikelaC
2009-09-29, 09:28 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia exchanges a grin with Niko as their shots disrupt the pirate lady's concentration. She turns back to the situation at hand, and lets fly with another round of magic missiles aimed at the lead pirate.

Take her down, and we'll really have a worthy prize for our first encounter

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-29, 09:33 AM
Tork

While the others deal with the pirates Tork doesn't hesitate and aerially dives down into the ship, aiming for wherever they're most likely to keep their stash of goodies.

--------------------------
Some kind of Knowledge check if required: [roll0]
Search: [roll1] <---Are you f***ing kidding me :smallfrown:

BooNL
2009-09-29, 09:33 AM
Rokan

A small flash of anger passes along Rokan's face as he's scolded in front of the prisoners. It is quickly replaced by guilt as he just ordered around his commanding officers, he truly wasn't used to orders anymore."Yes sir." He says and proceeds to check the prisoners and tie them up, goading each of them to the main mast.

"Which of you is the highest commanding officer?" He asks as he paces up and down the deck, never keeping his eyes of his prisoners.

Tyrael
2009-09-29, 01:47 PM
Niko

Meanwhile...

Niko laughs again at the look of rage on the pirate leader's face. "Я имею план относительно Вас*," he taunts her across the water in Draconic. "Больше боли!"

With another booming laugh, he draws back his bow and lets fly another spear-sized arrow. However, his laugh turns into a curse as she dodges the spear nimbly.

[roll1]

*"I have a plan for you, more pain!"

Simba
2009-10-01, 12:59 AM
"Which of you is the highest commanding officer?" He asks as he paces up and down the deck, never keeping his eyes of his prisoners.

"Sir, we are all simple crewmen, Sir! The officers went.." he hesitates, looking at the gulf between Iron Maiden and their ship "They are all dead, Sir."

Simba
2009-10-01, 02:09 AM
Niko and Zanthia keep helping the crew in front. Ther lead pirate ship tries to get away, but as the Iron Maiden's balista come into play they catch a full volley. The ship takes water quickly and begins to sink.

The people who boarded a pirate ship quickly disarm their prisoners, tieing them up.

Simba
2009-10-01, 04:54 AM
With Rokan standing watch over the prisoners you descend into the hold of the slowly sinking pirate ship. Most of the hold is one open area, with some crates full of cheap rations and a few barrels of slightly brackish water. Many crates are empty and open, as are some barrels. Nothing of value can be found at first glance.

In the back a wooden wall and door close off a small part of the hold. Moving closer you can see that wall and door are made of strong, reinforced wood. The door has a massive padlock and a painted symbol, reminding you of a dragon's head.

Killerloop
2009-10-02, 07:05 AM
Without even thinking about keys or anything Bishop smashed the padlock with a powerful blow from his exotic club.

"A locked... well, former locked door? Maybe there is treasure in here! Come on!" said Bishop, a bit excited

Simba
2009-10-05, 01:49 AM
Behind the door you find a kind of cabin, with a bed, a few shelves and some clothing, all for a man of average size and width. Careful search reveals some money (70 gp worth) and a medallion that shows a dragon's head in profile.

Tyrael
2009-10-05, 02:39 AM
Niko

"Hurrah!" Niko cheers as the pirate ship sinks in flames. "That is what you get for opposing the Iron Maiden! Burn, you dogs!"

Simba
2009-10-05, 03:30 AM
Two of the pirate ships are gone, only a few burning piles of driftwood remain. While the sharks have their meal you finish searching the remaining ship. The 7 prisoners seem to have lost their spirit and are calm and resigned. Iron Maiden comes to a stop and you transfer the pirates into the holds.

Simba
2009-10-05, 04:26 AM
The Captain is on deck, calling the team leader to him. "So, what do you think about this little encounter? How do you like your team's setup?"

Killerloop
2009-10-05, 04:37 AM
Bishop, now returned to his original size, addressed the captain.

"Sir, Green team here. I am totally pleased by my team; we managed to hold off our side with only flesh wounds and capture some pirates. I request no changes in my roster."

You could sense a feeling of pride in Bishop words, in fact his smile is so wide you wonder why is lips don't rip and bleed...

"What are we going to do with these scumbags we captured?"

Simba
2009-10-05, 04:45 AM
After the other officers' reports - all positive - the Captain adresses Bishop once more: "That's great, Bishop! I will talk to them and suggest we keep them in the hold for a while. Some might be willing to join us, others might not. I will see what kind of people they are. About the other ship: Would you be willing to take over that ship, once we have repaired it? It will not take too long to make her seaworthy and the addition of another ship to out rooster doubles our possibilities. If you agree I will give you command, man her with some people from Iron Maiden and let yout team stay there. I know you are no sailor, but you are my first choice in this. You will get an experienced crew. Let me know what you think, you have 3 hours. Dis-missed!"

The Captain turns around and starts ordering repairs begun on the captured vessel. Sailors climb on board and begin repairs at once.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 05:36 AM
Tork

Returning to the Iron Maiden Tork reclaims his Dwarf form and immediately seeks out Louran.

"Fat lot of use you were shortstack" he says grumpily, but laughing when the rat starts squeakily arguing back.

Returning to the main crew he will start offering any healing that ma be required if the various Clerics can't finish it all off.

Simba
2009-10-05, 05:49 AM
With all the adventurer types on board the wounded people get healthy real quick, in the end only one sailor lost his life in the encounter.

While repairs go on you all have some time to rest, eat or talk. The crew of Iron Maiden is obviously very good at repairing ships. Only 3 hours after the end of the fight the pirate ship is as good as new. The captain renames her "Easy Lady" and waits on the foredeck for Bishop's decission regarding her fate.

BooNL
2009-10-05, 06:20 AM
Rokan

After securing the prisoners in the hold, Rokan seeks out his sister. "Wew, that was a good exercise, right Zanth?" He stretches his arms and arches his back. "I'm not used to naval combat, I can tell you that. My back is aching from the stress of keeping my footing. How are you holding up?"

Killerloop
2009-10-05, 06:31 AM
"Thank you sir" said Bishop to the captain "I'm prone to accept your offer but I would lik to consuel with my team on the matter before taking my decision"

"Meanwhile If I may advice on the matter of the prisoners I suggest to cast on all them the Mark of Justice, so they will be compelled to not harm us"

After said that he saluted the captain and moved to the back of the ship.

"GREEN TEAM, OVER HERE! we need to discuss something!" he said with a loud voice

MikelaC
2009-10-05, 06:42 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia turns from the sight of the destruction of the opposing pirate vessel.
Almost too easy...but I imagine we will face some real challenges soon enough.
She perks up when she hears the bellow of Bishop. She slaps Rokan on the back and says
Lets go hear what he wants to say.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 06:54 AM
Tork

Hearing Bishop's call the Dwarf will wander over, silencing the incessant rat as he approaches.

BooNL
2009-10-05, 07:00 AM
Rokan

"Yes, it is definately strange that three pirate ships cannot handle a single vessel. It was as if they hadn't prepared at all. Rokan commented at Zanthia.

When Bishop calls for assembly Rokan gets a sullen look on his face. "He is quite a shouter isn't he. Reminds me of that old bulldog we used to have back home." He falls in step with Zanthia and quickly makes his way toward Bishop.

Ennui
2009-10-05, 08:03 AM
Egeas

Having helped here and there in the aftermath of the skirmish, Egeas takes a moment to readjust and clean his equipment before he walks over to Bishop.

"Sir?"

Tyrael
2009-10-05, 10:56 AM
Niko

The hulking Lizardfolk jogs over to Bishop, his weapons stowed once again. "Yes?"

Killerloop
2009-10-05, 12:00 PM
"First of all, congratulations boys! ...and girl, of course. You did a great job, we kicked them in the ass getting minor scratches, we got 7 prisoners and we captured a whole SHIP! That's fantastic."

Bishop was really happy

"Back to... material things... I found this amulet and I wasn't able to discern its magical powers, if anyone of you want to give a try here it is." said the cleric holding the amulet towards the group.

"We found money too.. and we'll split it evenly between us so here it is" he continued, giving 10 gp to every member of the group.

"And now the REALLY IMPORTANT thing. The captain offered the command of the captured ship to me, and I want to accept. Do you want to come with me as my advisors and second in command? It is a great honor."

Bishop crossed his arms and took a waiting stance, that was a very long speech and the team need its time to think.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 12:10 PM
Tork

Taking his share of the coins the Dwarf gave the amulet an examination, after all he did know a little about magic.

"So long as you're not taking her back to port I'll follow you across."

Tyrael
2009-10-05, 12:13 PM
Niko

The Lizardfolk needs no time to think. He nods decisively. "Ees grreat veektory. Am happy to accept post on own sheep." A broad, shark-toothed grin splits his muzzle from ear to ear. "Am thinkink will be grrreat veektory feest tonight. Fun for everyone!"

BooNL
2009-10-05, 12:53 PM
Rokan

Excited at the good news, Rokan roars. "Hear hear. A ship of our own? Fantastic!"

Ennui
2009-10-05, 01:21 PM
Egeas

Egeas waits for the rest of the group to voice their oppinion, meanwhile occupying himself with throwing his staff upwards ever so slightly and catching it again once it has come down to the exact point it was thrown from.

Once everyone has spoken their mind, Egeas will agree with the majority.

MikelaC
2009-10-05, 04:29 PM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia shares her brothers excitement at the news

Thats an excellent idea, a great adventure awaits us. What will the command structure be, and what will our relationship with the Iron Maiden be?

She accepts the coins, slipping them into one of her pouches, and turns her attention to Tork, working on the amulet.

If you cant figure that thing out, I can cast an identify on it. But it will take an hour to cast.

Suddenly realizing something else that was said, she looks warily at Niko

What exactly constitutes a great feast, in your mind?

Tyrael
2009-10-05, 05:01 PM
"Food, drink, meat, vodka, ees all good." Niko waves a hand in the air vaguely. "Keelink peepul tends to work up appetite."

kamikasei
2009-10-05, 07:40 PM
Marcus raises his eyebrows. "Congratulations, sir. I don't know the first thing about running a ship, but any help I can give, you'll have."

Simba
2009-10-06, 12:37 AM
While you talk about the Captain's proposal and the amulet, repairs on the damaged ship proceed at an astounding pace. Magic must be involved somehow!

Killerloop
2009-10-06, 02:28 AM
Bishop handles the amulet to Zanthia.

"There you go, take your time. We aren't in a hurry now." said Bishop before heading towards the captain.

"Sir, I accept command of the 'Easy Lady'. I have a question: repairs aren't going too swiftly? The ship was about to sink moments later and now it is well... ok?"

Bishop was really puzzled. He saw repairs undergo for days when not in a shipyard.

Simba
2009-10-06, 02:37 AM
The Captain seems to be pleased, both with Bishop's acceptance of his proposal and his comment an the progress of the repairs.

"Good, then the Easy Lady is yours to command. You are hereby promoted to Captain, but only for the time of our voyage. We will see about the promotion afterwards. I have ordered 8 experienced sailors to man her, that should be enough. Move your stuff over and let's get going! About the repairs: I have recently aquired an item of exeptional power to aid in ship repairs. Provided the right materials are available, it will help the ship regenerate herself. It has its limitations, of course, but I am glad this first test of its powers went so well."

The Captain salutes Bishop, then turns away, yelling commands at the sailors on board Iron Maiden. The ship is made ready to resume your journey.

MikelaC
2009-10-06, 06:18 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia takes the amulet from Bishop, and makes her way to Clara Verd's quarters, to see if she can procure a pearl with which to effect her identify spell. Once she gets the pearl, she moves over to the Easy Lady, settles herself into new quarters, and then casts her spell, poring over the amulet for about an hour. She comes out of the trance at that point, reporting back her findings to Bishop.

Ennui
2009-10-06, 04:24 PM
Egeas

At the Captain's mentioning of this exceptional item, Egeas stops testing his reflexes, and hesitates for a moment.

"Captain, sir. Would there be any possibilty to study this item? Only an hour a day would be enough, under observation if necessary; it sounds rather intrigueing, and I would not want to miss such an opportunity. Sir?"

Hearing this much eagerness in the half-dragon's voice for the first time, it seems almost comical, but the halflings face shows that he is completely serious.

Simba
2009-10-07, 01:14 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia takes the amulet from Bishop, and makes her way to Clara Verd's quarters, to see if she can procure a pearl with which to effect her identify spell. Once she gets the pearl, she moves over to the Easy Lady, settles herself into new quarters, and then casts her spell, poring over the amulet for about an hour. She comes out of the trance at that point, reporting back her findings to Bishop.

After talking to Clara and receiving the key to the workshop door, Zanthia heads for the workshop, finding the usually locked door ajar.

Simba
2009-10-07, 01:16 AM
Egeas

At the Captain's mentioning of this exceptional item, Egeas stops testing his reflexes, and hesitates for a moment.

"Captain, sir. Would there be any possibilty to study this item? Only an hour a day would be enough, under observation if necessary; it sounds rather intrigueing, and I would not want to miss such an opportunity. Sir?"

Hearing this much eagerness in the half-dragon's voice for the first time, it seems almost comical, but the halflings face shows that he is completely serious.

"Well, it is in use over there" the Captain indicates Easy Lady, "so you can take a peek if you want. Once we are under way I want it safely back on board Iron Maiden, but as soon as we stop again you are welcome to come back on board and study it. It looks rather unremarkable, but has useful properties."

Ennui
2009-10-07, 02:00 AM
Egeas

"I will, thank you, sir."

Having nothing to pack and move over from the Maiden to the Lady, Egeas heads straight over, inspecting the repairing progress and the item's role in it.

BooNL
2009-10-07, 02:12 AM
Rokan

After the meeting, Rokan heads to the bunks and gathers his things. He notices Zanthia's trunk and decides to pick her stuff up as well.
Then, he makes his way to Clara Verd's quarters to find his sister and tell him he's moving their things already. He's also curious at the item and wants to check if Zanthia has found anything already.

Simba
2009-10-07, 02:23 AM
Egeas finds the crew busy repairing the damage on the former pirate vessel. One of them holds a simple grey stone about as large as a fist, touching it to damaged parts that seem to simply regrow and fuse together to become more stable and whole. Looks like the stone regenerates wooden objects in some way.

Tyrael
2009-10-07, 05:16 AM
Niko busies himself as well along with the rest of the crew, hauling lumber, nailing boards, waxing hulls, and working just as hard as the rest of the sailors. He seems to be adapting quite well to life at sea, humming his Draconic songs under his breath as he throws himself into his work.

MikelaC
2009-10-07, 07:57 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia stops at the sight of the door already open door, and looks around to see if Clara is still in sight. If she is, she will signal for her, pointing to the door to show her it is open.
If Clara is not in sight, she will carefully push the door open the rest of the way, but not enter until she sees that there is no one inside.

Simba
2009-10-07, 08:28 AM
Clara is not in sight, so you open the door all the way and - seeing noone inside - step into the small room. You can see at once that some things have been opened - jars, boxes, mainly - and that all the closets have been broken into. Nothing is broken, all the locks have been opened, wards disabled. Professional work, you guess.

BooNL
2009-10-07, 09:20 AM
Rokan

Having made his way to Clara's quarters, Rokan opens the door and hails Zanthia. "Sis, I've already gathered our possessions, so we can board the Easy Lady whenever you're ready.

So, have you figured out what that medallion does yet?"

Yeah, he's completely oblivious to the fact that Clara's quarters were broken into.

MikelaC
2009-10-07, 09:21 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia steps quickly back out of the room

SEND FOR CLARA!!!! NOW!!! SOMEONE HAS BROKEN INTO THE MAGIC ROOM!!!

BooNL
2009-10-07, 09:52 AM
Rokan

Staggering back at Zanthia's shouting, Rokan immediately turns around and runs away. Not trusting anyone right now, he heads directly to the Captain.

"Sir, Sir! Someone has broken into Clara Verd's study. I haven't told anyone but you yet. Zanthia is still in the study, she made the discovery.

Simba
2009-10-08, 01:54 AM
Zanthia's shout brings Clara to the workshop in a flash of magic, depositing her right in front of the door, REAl close to Zanthia. The ships' mage looks at the workshop, the lock on the door and the disabled wards, then sighs and whispers: "We have a professional on board, someone who does not want us to succeed. I will handle this personally! Will you and your brother help me if I need you?"

Turning to Zanthia, she adds in a normal voice: "Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Please stay available should I need to question you about it. Well, you're hardly going anywhere, anyway, right? Being on a ship and all."

She then addresses all the others who have come running: "Please return to your posts! We will set sail in a few minutes. I will handle this personally!"

MikelaC
2009-10-08, 09:17 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia stands by waiting to hear what Clara wants.

Of course, we will aid in the investigation in any way possible. It looks like Bishops dream of taking command of his own vessel is going to have to wait for some time.

Simba
2009-10-08, 09:26 AM
Clara once more whispers to Zanthia: "Make sure it was noone from your group, we will sail with 2 ships, as planned."

Simba
2009-10-08, 10:00 AM
Rokan

Staggering back at Zanthia's shouting, Rokan immediately turns around and runs away. Not trusting anyone right now, he heads directly to the Captain.

"Sir, Sir! Someone has broken into Clara Verd's study. I haven't told anyone but you yet. Zanthia is still in the study, she made the discovery.

The captain looks at you, then runs off towards the 'crime scene': "Thank you for the information, son!"

Killerloop
2009-10-08, 10:06 AM
Bishop, already on the Easy Lady, don't understands what is happening on the Iron Maiden.

"Zanthia! Rokan!" he called "Come here, we have a ship to handle now!!"

MikelaC
2009-10-08, 10:36 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia heads over to Easy Lady and comes up to Bishop.

There has been an incident on the Iron Maiden. When I went to get a pearl to perform an identify on your amulet, I found that someone has broken into Clara's personal study. She wants us to make sure it was no one from our team and then sail with 2 ships as planned. I dont have a detect lie memorized at the moment, or any other spells to read thoughts or intents. If you have one, you could use it on Clara's authority to make sure our group is not involved, and then set sail.

kamikasei
2009-10-08, 10:44 AM
Marcus looks troubled at this news.

"I have a spell to discern the thoughts of others which I could use, but don't have it prepared at the moment. Even without it I have a good eye for whether a person is being honest, though of course that's not infallible. It's up to you, sir." It's not entirely obvious until he finishes that he's actually addressing Bishop rather than replying directly to Zanthia.

"As to the amulet, I have a pearl myself intended for that purpose. Well, the purpose of identifying magic in general. I have it on me, in fact, though of course we may want to leave that matter aside for now.

"And if we have a thief, I should check on my belongings! Ah, once you're satisfied for us to move freely, of course, Captain. Is it 'Captain', yet? I'm always getting the niceties of titles mixed up."

Killerloop
2009-10-08, 11:19 AM
"Alas, I have no magic ready that can discern the liar from the trustworthy" said Bishop "and yes, Captain is now my title. I think we better wait for the Captain, the other captain, to make his mind on this matter."

Simba
2009-10-09, 01:42 AM
Captain Durov comes over to Easy Lady and takes Bishop aside for a private talk: "Someone on board is a thief and we need to catch him or her. I trust you will do everything in your power to find the traitor if he is on your ship. We will sail now, repairs are done. Just follow us, we will reach the Dragonmist soon. Please let me know if you find out anything, I will do the same."

He looks out over the sea, then asks: "How confident are you in your ability to handle this ship? You have a good crew, but little experience at this job. Once we reach the mists we will sail around them to see how far they extend. Until then please decide if you feel up to splitting and going oposite directions. We could half the time it takes us. No pressure, my friend, I will not hold it against you if you decide to stay with Iron Maiden. We have time, after all. It is just an idea, anyway. It might be dangerous, but it is faster. Let me know, ok?"

Killerloop
2009-10-09, 02:25 AM
"I'd rather not split up" said Bishop "Let's not get overconfident here... I never did this sort of thing, I'm not an experienced sailor and I don't want to lead people to their deaths out of incompetence. So I prefer to stay with the Iron Maiden; furthermore we are stronger if we stay together."

Simba
2009-10-09, 02:51 AM
"All right, son. That might be the wisest choice, anyway. Who knows what we will be up against. Ok, I will leave you to your job now, just stay close to us until we reach the mists, we will talk again then. And congrats on your promotion!"

He smiles as he crosses back to Iron Maiden, shouting orders to set sail even before he reaches his vessel.

Killerloop
2009-10-09, 03:24 AM
Bishop returns to his newfound duties, to make sure the Easy Lady is ready to sail as soon as possible.

Simba
2009-10-09, 03:29 AM
Repairs are done, the repair crew has returned to Iron Maiden, taking the magic item with them. Easy Lady's crew is busy preparing her for duty.

As you have already searched the hold you know that there are no bunks, you will have to use the hammocks left behind by the pirates. On the upside there is lots of empty space and you could always use the time (and a carpenter from Iron Maiden) to make some adjustments under deck. It is basically all open space, with one small room (with a broken door) in front.

There is enough wood in Iron Maiden's hold to create some walls and stuff like that.

MikelaC
2009-10-09, 06:29 AM
ZANTHIA

Zanthia is not a builder or a tactician, so she leaves the construction of new quarters and possible ballista to Bishop and Rokan. Instead, she powders the pearl she got from Clara and mixes it into a potion, downing it with a grimace.
She then takes the amulet that Bishop found, and concentrates on it for an hour, coming out of her trance with the information she was looking for.

Here is your amulet back. As we previously discovered, it allows for communication at a distance, the trigger word is..........It also allows you to find your way to a specific spot, the trigger is.....And, it offers protection from the elements and low-light vision, without a trigger