PDA

View Full Version : Combos?

Domigorgon
2009-09-08, 08:09 AM
Can a paladin use Power Attack along with his Smite Evil in the same attack?

It says for the Power Attack: "Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack."

So I would say he can't.

But my players want to convince me that it is feasible.

Can otherwise such abilities be combined for the same attack?
I might remember another example, but this is all I can think of for the moment.

Eloel
2009-09-08, 08:11 AM
A Power Attack'd attack is still a normal melee attack.

Cyclocone
2009-09-08, 08:14 AM
Sure he can. PA is still a normal "I hit it with my sword attack". The clause only prevents the Paladin from smiting evil with a grapple or a bow.

Arakune
2009-09-08, 08:17 AM
Can a paladin use Power Attack along with his Smite Evil in the same attack?

It says for the Power Attack: "Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack."

So I would say he can't.

But my players want to convince me that it is feasible.

Can otherwise such abilities be combined for the same attack?
I might remember another example, but this is all I can think of for the moment.

I can't say why not. What is your reasoning to prevent that? It's not even too much extra damage for smite evil anyway, and to pull of an ubercharger you need thing outside core and the real damage will be dealt by power attack.

woodenbandman
2009-09-08, 08:17 AM
Power attack is actually not even in and of itself an action. Power Attack allows the user to reduce his base attack bonus by a certain amount at the beginning of a round and increase his damage correspondingly. It modifies his attack in the same way that a magic weapon or a bard song does.

Domigorgon
2009-09-08, 09:42 AM
Okay, then. My bad. :)