PDA

View Full Version : I need a chemist.

Myrmex
2009-09-08, 01:08 PM
At work, I've found that using ethanol on BME (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Mercaptoethanol) makes it not smell horrible, while water does nothing.

Why? Is ethanol better at solvating it? Is there a reaction occurring that sequesters the sulfur? When the two are mixed, it turns a milky white (briefly), but I don't know if this is due to that thing that happens when you mix two solutions together, or an actual reaction occurring.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Cyrion
2009-09-08, 01:21 PM
Yes, ethanol should be better at solvating it because they're a little more similar in terms of polarity. You may also see a little bit of substitution for the hydrogen on the sulfide- the sulfide hyrdogen reacts with the hydroxyl group of the alcohol to eliminate water and form a disubstitued sulfide instead of the monosubstituted. This would result in something that has a higher molecular weight and could be less volatile- thus not smelling so bad.

I think the solvation is the main actor here.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-08, 08:53 PM
I'm an alchemist. Does that count?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-09-08, 10:03 PM
Only with horseshoes and hand grenades, Beserk Monk.

.... And now I'm backing out of the conversation, what with my intense lack of chemical wizardry.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-08, 10:05 PM
I read the title and immediately thought "I'm holding out for a chemist til the morning light."
I'm afraid I have nothing else to contribute. *leaves*

V'icternus
2009-09-09, 07:31 AM
Well, Mauve Read my mind on the subject, so I have less to add than her. Might be best to go see an actual chemist, though.

Myrmex
2009-09-09, 01:02 PM
Yes, ethanol should be better at solvating it because they're a little more similar in terms of polarity. You may also see a little bit of substitution for the hydrogen on the sulfide- the sulfide hyrdogen reacts with the hydroxyl group of the alcohol to eliminate water and form a disubstitued sulfide instead of the monosubstituted. This would result in something that has a higher molecular weight and could be less volatile- thus not smelling so bad.

I think the solvation is the main actor here.

Thanks. I suspected something similar, but I did poorly in organic chemistry, and most of it has failed to stick, anyway.

Eldritch Knight
2009-09-09, 01:23 PM
Thanks. I suspected something similar, but I did poorly in organic chemistry, and most of it has failed to stick, anyway.

That....was horrible!

Myrmex
2009-09-10, 01:54 AM
That....was horrible!

...question mark?