PDA

View Full Version : Unintelligent Characters

Lappy9000
2009-09-08, 01:30 PM
What do you think about them?
Do you like the different roleplaying angles?
Do you find it to be too severe of a weakness?

The reason why I ask is because I am currently playing a dim-witted minotaur (homebrewed for +0 LA) psychic warrior who has an Intelligence of 8 but has a Wisdom and Charisma at 18. The best part is that he is the party face and the contrast of the intelligent (but uncharismatic) party skillmonkey. The character is rather childish, doesn't understand big words, and has problems with even semi-complex concepts, but he is so darn likeably (with that Charisma) that he can talk his way out of almost anything. I'm having a blast with it, and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

Myou
2009-09-08, 01:38 PM
When I was first starting to play I wanted to play a 6 int barbarian, but my DM wouldn't let me, he gave me some rubbish about having no skill points making it 'unplayable'. :smallannoyed:

Spiryt
2009-09-08, 01:39 PM
Well, Your character isn't so hard to imagine - 8 Int is stupid, but rather not dim - witted. At least quick dictionary search tells me that "dim witted" indicates some kind of mild retardation, which doesn't apply.

Childish would rather indicate someone with low(er) wisdom - 8 Int guy is just someone who has no way to understand/get more complicated stuff in quickly and thoroughly.

Thajocoth
2009-09-08, 01:39 PM
I haven't used him yet, but I've designed a pretty stupid character. Pretty standard stupidity for a barbarian though... Not charismatic either. I don't think the DM would allow me to use him anyway...

It sounds like a fun concept though.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-08, 01:46 PM
When I was first starting to play I wanted to play a 6 int barbarian, but my DM wouldn't let me, he gave me some rubbish about having no skill points making it 'unplayable'. :smallannoyed:

Aren't characters supposed to get at least one skill point per level, no matter how low their intelligence? :smallconfused:

Myrmex
2009-09-08, 01:55 PM
8 int is about the intelligence score of most people.

Rixx
2009-09-08, 01:59 PM
I have an 8 Int 8 Wis 20 Cha sorcerer who's totally convinced that, as a sorcerer, he should be in the front. (He has a big hero complex. And a greatsword.)

It kind of works at lower levels, though, since his 1st level spells are Mage Armor, Shield, and True Strike.

Myou
2009-09-08, 02:11 PM
8 int is about the intelligence score of most people.

10-11 actually.

Aren't characters supposed to get at least one skill point per level, no matter how low their intelligence? :smallconfused:

Yeah, but apparently that's not enough to play a viable barbarian. >.>

The DM eventually gave up on the game and I never got to play at all.

Lysander
2009-09-08, 02:21 PM
Intelligence is just the ability to do mentally complex tasks. So a dumb person can't solve puzzles, excel in math, design a machine, manage a business, etc. That doesn't mean they act foolishly though or make an ass of themselves. Idiotic behavior is caused by low wisdom, not low intelligence, and loathsome behavior is caused by low charisma.

Imagine if you were at a convention of quantum physicists. Most people would be stupid by comparison, but you're not going to set the curtains on fire or expose yourself just because you aren't as smart.

valadil
2009-09-08, 02:27 PM
I find unintelligent characters more challenging to play well than the super intelligent ones. I mean, it's easy to make yourself be wrong in hilarious ways all the time. But it's harder to be dumb realistically. And relating to that dumb character is harder still.

What I've been aiming for isn't so much being wrong as having these characters fail to grasp things. Sometimes they're aware of it (and get frustrated) and sometimes not.