PDA

View Full Version : Not quite cursed items

Amador
2009-09-08, 01:33 PM
I'm trying to develop a low magic campaign in which almost all magic is in magic items. Trouble is these items are not enchanted perfectly and I would like some help coming up with more.

A typical item would something like:
Cloak of Flying
Allows the wearer to fly for up to ten minutes a day, but when the cloak is put on it inserts several spikes through the wearers neck (there is no way to avoid these spikes). The spike then proceed to do 1d6 of damage per round. To remove the cloak you need a Str check of 15 or an escape artist check of 15.

Longsword of Ice
A +2 longsword that does a d10 of frost damage on a successful hit but freezes itself to the target with a 6" radius sphere of ice, requiring a Str check of 13 to remove.

awa
2009-09-08, 11:38 PM
well you have some classics like the sword of berserk its a magic sword hat sends you into an uncontrollable rage attacking friend and foe alike until remove curse is cast.

more useful something like the blood mace which loses it's enchantment if you don't cover it with blood.

you could make items that normal worked but sometimes don't like say a wand of cure light that has a 1 in 10 chance of casting cause light instead or something along those lines

Yukitsu
2009-09-08, 11:48 PM
My DM gave me cursed strongarm bracers that quote Samuel L. Jackson's lines from pulp fiction when I one hand two handed weapons. I said that's more a blessing.

Godskook
2009-09-08, 11:50 PM
My DM gave me cursed strongarm bracers that quote Samuel L. Jackson's lines from pulp fiction when I one hand two handed weapons. I said that's more a blessing.

Which lines?

Yukitsu
2009-09-08, 11:52 PM
Which lines?

Depends on what I'm doing at the time. I can imagine if I'm asking questions, and the guy keeps saying "what?" I'd get those.

Otherwise, ones that don't quite fit, such as conversations about cheeseburgers in France.

Hawriel
2009-09-09, 01:19 AM
When making loot for an encounter I skimmed across the cursed items section in the DMG. They give alot of examples of how to make a cursed item. Alot of the examples are not really cursed but problematic.

One suggestion required a save in order to avoid the curse. Like save when used, a time of day, when put on, when X happens. DCs where fairly reasonable 12 - 18.

I cursed a pair of gauntlets of ogre power this way. Every morning I would roll a fort save 16 in secret for the player. If it failed the gauntlets would give a negative 4 to strength insted of a pluss. The studs in the guantlets glowed with a green light when ever they where used.

Chrizzt
2009-09-09, 06:42 AM
Sprinkler of Food Purifying
Perhaps a magic item that can potentially purify spoiled food unlimited times per day, as per the spell, but afterwards the food tastes so awful (yet it is nourishing and beneficial) that any character needs to succeed on a fortitude (or will ; ) save, else he vomits and the food is wasted. Alternatively that item makes any food taste so salty, that a person needs the double amount of water that day.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-09, 07:02 AM
Can't go wrong with a classic (I'm doing this by recollection, since I can't find the thread)

Sword of Dragon Laying: Functions as a normal +5 sword, until the wielder encounters a dragon. At which point it casts charm person on both the wielder and the dragon to convince them to have sexual relations (bypasses SR, DC 50 save). If the two are both of the same sex, the sword will reverse the gender of the wielder for the length of a potential pregnancy +1d12 months. If one of the parties gets pregnant, the sword casts Geas on the female party to make her carry the child to term (she resists all attempts to get her to get rid of the child, or polymorph her back into her original form if shifted)

Also, I just recalled one more

Bluffstone: This stone grants a +20 bonus to your bluff checks, but every time you make a bluff you must make a will save equal to your bluff check or believe it yourself. This check increases by 5 for every time you tell the same lie in a day.

Starsinger
2009-09-09, 07:26 AM
Can't go wrong with a classic (I'm doing this by recollection, since I can't find the thread)

Sword of Dragon Laying: Functions as a normal +5 sword, until the wielder encounters a dragon. At which point it casts charm person on both the wielder and the dragon to convince them to have sexual relations (bypasses SR, DC 50 save). If the two are both of the same sex, the sword will reverse the gender of the wielder for the length of a potential pregnancy +1d12 months. If one of the parties gets pregnant, the sword casts Geas on the female party to make her carry the child to term (she resists all attempts to get her to get rid of the child, or polymorph her back into her original form if shifted)

Well that's sexist...

Mongoose87
2009-09-09, 07:32 AM
Well that's sexist...

How, exactly?

Zen Master
2009-09-09, 07:41 AM
How, exactly?

Um ... it somehow indicates that sex should be between members of opposite sex, rather than regarding all combinations of male and female as equal.

BobVosh
2009-09-09, 07:56 AM
Um ... it somehow indicates that sex should be between members of opposite sex, rather than regarding all combinations of male and female as equal.

Not really sexist. Plus it seems to attempt pregnancy more than sex.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-09, 07:56 AM

Personally I find it funny (it's a cursed item, not a comment on political issues), but it's not hard to change it a bit if you want to do it that way.

Mongoose87
2009-09-09, 08:06 AM

No, it tries to make someone pregnant with a half-dragon.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-09, 08:11 AM

Then it's heteronormative, not sexist.

I think it's a hilarious item, and I see no issue with it. Since it's for a fantasy game and all. Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with. :smallsmile:

Forevernade
2009-09-09, 09:15 AM
Check out the "Artifacts that won't grant world domination" thread.

Otherwise here is another:

Charm of the Player

This is a charm to be worn around the neck. It is an item which can telepathically speak to the wearer. It will speak to the character. telling him exactly what to say to court another of the opposite gender. Unfortunately it will only converse on matters that will win over others carrying around an STD.
The wearer gets a +4 circumstance modifier to whatever roll is needed to convince another person to sleep with them, with the condition that that person has an STD.

Grumman
2009-09-09, 09:34 AM
Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with. :smallsmile:
Gee, really? Who wouldn't be fine with the DM pulling a "Your character gets raped by a dragon"?

Mongoose87
2009-09-09, 09:40 AM
Gee, really? Who wouldn't be fine with the DM pulling a "Your character gets raped by a dragon"?

It's not rape. It charms both characters.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-09, 10:14 AM
Wait, magic compulsion to have sex isn't rape?

Isn't that similar to dosing a girl with Ecstacy to make her want you?

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-09-09, 10:15 AM
Perhaps something like this already exists:

Boots of Dwarven Stability
These heavy boots are crafted with a mithril tread, which is so cleverly made that it does an exceptional job gripping most surfaces such as rock, grass, por dirt. Gives a non-dwarf humanoid +4 to resist bull rush or trip when standing on the ground, but reduces land speed by 10' AND the character can not run, and suffers the same armor check penalty to climbing/jumping/swimming as if he were wearing heavy armor.

Perhaps the boots should also give a bonus to Balance checks or the Reflex save required when somebody casts Grease on you!

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-09, 11:46 AM
Depends on what I'm doing at the time. I can imagine if I'm asking questions, and the guy keeps saying "what?" I'd get those.

Otherwise, ones that don't quite fit, such as conversations about cheeseburgers in France.

I've done something similar before to for a player of mine; the trick is simply to adapt the quotes so they're relevant, but are still recognizable.

An Eberron example:
Item: How you boys doin'? Hey, keep chillin'. You know who we are? We're associates of your business partner [BBEG]. You do remember your business partner don't you? Let me take a wild guess here. You're his minion, right?
Bad Guy: Yeah.
Item: I thought so. You remember your business partner [BBEG], don't you, little minion?
Bad Guy: Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
Item: Good. Looks like me an' [PC] caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
Bad Guy: Steaks.
Item: Steaks! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of steaks?
Bad Guy: D-dire animal steaks.
Item: No, no no, what kinda recipe? Cyran? Karnnathi? Brelish? Where?
Bad Guy: Velociraptor Steakhouse.
Item: Velociraptor Steakhouse. That's that Talenta steak joint. I hear they got some tasty steaks. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
Bad Guy: They're good.
Item: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
Item: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty steak
Bad Guy: Wait, how does an item eat--?
Item: Shut up, I'm the intelligent item here. [PC], ever have a Velociraptor Steak? Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
[PC]: Ain't hungry.
Item: Well, if you like steaks give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because the other bracer's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian. But I do love the taste of a good steak. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a 2gp Velociraptor with cheese in the Mournland?
Bad Guy: No.
Item: Tell 'em, [PC].
[PC]: A Meatbag with cheese.
Item: A Meatbag with cheese! You know why they call it that?
Bad Guy: Because they're all warforged and don't eat them?
Item: Check out the Int score on the minion! You're a smart ************. That's right. They're warforged. What's in this?
Bad Guy: Kundarak beer.
Item: Beer, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
Bad Guy: Go right ahead.

And there's always the Forgotten Realms: "NETHERESE, ************! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"

Keshay
2009-09-09, 12:44 PM
Then it's heteronormative, not sexist.

I think it's a hilarious item, and I see no issue with it. Since it's for a fantasy game and all. Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with. :smallsmile:

Correct, but its also sexist because it removes the choice as to whether or not to terminate pregnency. Which would be kind of odd in the case the dragon got knocked up, they still lay eggs, right? Or would the sword force the dragon to polymorph into a humanoid form? Does the sword force a polymorph at all? If not, the ramifications could be messy in the case of a female humanoid (or not, do dragons even have external male genitalia?)

What if the Dragon encountered is below the young adult age category? Does it then compel forced interspecies pedophelia?

I think I would not use the item because for as amusing it could be, I'm sure there would be many questions that arise that I don't particularly want to know the answers to.

arguskos
2009-09-09, 12:48 PM
I've done something similar before to for a player of mine; the trick is simply to adapt the quotes so they're relevant, but are still recognizable.

An Eberron example:
Item: How you boys doin'? Hey, keep chillin'. You know who we are? We're associates of your business partner [BBEG]. You do remember your business partner don't you? Let me take a wild guess here. You're his minion, right?
Bad Guy: Yeah.
Item: I thought so. You remember your business partner [BBEG], don't you, little minion?
Bad Guy: Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
Item: Good. Looks like me an' [PC] caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
Bad Guy: Steaks.
Item: Steaks! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of steaks?
Bad Guy: D-dire animal steaks.
Item: No, no no, what kinda recipe? Cyran? Karnnathi? Brelish? Where?
Bad Guy: Velociraptor Steakhouse.
Item: Velociraptor Steakhouse. That's that Talenta steak joint. I hear they got some tasty steaks. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
Bad Guy: They're good.
Item: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
Item: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty steak
Bad Guy: Wait, how does an item eat--?
Item: Shut up, I'm the intelligent item here. [PC], ever have a Velociraptor Steak? Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
[PC]: Ain't hungry.
Item: Well, if you like steaks give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because the other bracer's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian. But I do love the taste of a good steak. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a 2gp Velociraptor with cheese in the Mournland?
Bad Guy: No.
Item: Tell 'em, [PC].
[PC]: A Meatbag with cheese.
Item: A Meatbag with cheese! You know why they call it that?
Bad Guy: Because they're all warforged and don't eat them?
Item: Check out the Int score on the minion! You're a smart ************. That's right. They're warforged. What's in this?
Bad Guy: Kundarak beer.
Item: Beer, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
Bad Guy: Go right ahead.

And there's always the Forgotten Realms: "NETHERESE, ************! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"
This here? This is why Pair 'O Dice Lost always wins forever. Dice, you win everything forever. I approve of it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-09, 02:26 PM
This here? This is why Pair 'O Dice Lost always wins forever. Dice, you win everything forever. I approve of it.

I try. :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2009-09-09, 02:40 PM
I try. :smallbiggrin:

The original version of that last quote is my friend's most favorite quote from that movie. Kudos. I lol'd irl.

Kris Strife
2009-09-09, 02:41 PM
Perhaps something like this already exists:

Boots of Dwarven Stability
These heavy boots are crafted with a mithril tread, which is so cleverly made that it does an exceptional job gripping most surfaces such as rock, grass, por dirt. Gives a non-dwarf humanoid +4 to resist bull rush or trip when standing on the ground, but reduces land speed by 10' AND the character can not run, and suffers the same armor check penalty to climbing/jumping/swimming as if he were wearing heavy armor.

Perhaps the boots should also give a bonus to Balance checks or the Reflex save required when somebody casts Grease on you!

That sounds the iron boots from the Legend of Zelda games. :smalltongue:

Also, yeah, the dragon laying sword, more than a little creepy. >.> And yes, I'd consider magically induced compulsion would count as rape (since in some states, if she's had any alchohol, it still counts as rape) and thats beside the genderswapping (which is a squick for a good percentage of the population)and forced to carry to term (also kind of creepy and rapeish)

phantomreader42
2010-01-12, 11:02 PM

Isn't that similar to dosing a girl with Ecstacy to make her want you?

Magical compulsion to have sex is rape. But the dragon is not the one doing the raping. The sword is. Which, if anything, makes it even creepier.

I'm new to the forum, but a long-time comic reader, and strange items sound appealing for an upcoming campaign.

Bracers of Lechery (yes, inspired by the "Magic items to put back" gag)
These function as normal Bracers of Archery, but can only be worn by females. When so worn, they will regularly make audible lewd comments. This imposes a severe penalty on all Move Silently checks, as one would expect.

Shield of Sparrow Deflection
Functions as an ordinary shield, but grants unusual deflection bonuses, which stack if more than one applies
+1 against any non-living projectile with feathers
+4 against melee attacks from living birds (including Raptorans)
+2 against any dive attack or ranged attack from above

Gauntlets of Ogress Power
If worn by a female, these function as normal Gauntlets of Ogre Power. If a male attempts to put them on, he must make a DC 20 Fort save. Success means the gauntlets fall off and have no effect. If the save is failed, the wearer is polymorphed into a female. This process is extremely disorienting. If the victim fails a DC 15 Will save, he suffers Confusion (As the spell) for 24 hours and takes 1d4 Wisdom damage (which heals at the normal rate or with a restoration spell) from the mental strain. The transformation is permanent, and is not a curse, but it can be reversed by any spell that would normally have the effect of turning a woman into a man, however such spells do not work while the gauntlets are worn.

Belt of the Naked Monk
When worn about the waist, this lightweight cord of rope grants its wearer a +4 enhancement bonus to natural armor, a +2 enhancement bonus to all attacks while unarmed or using monk weapons, and the ability to cast Invisibility (self only) 3 times per day as a swift action. However, it also renders any clothing or armor they are wearing invisible (and thus transparent). Jewelry and the belt are unaffected by this, but do become invisible when casting the invisibility spell.

Stone of Unreliable Power
This flawed, oddly-shaped gem can be activated once per day with a command word. Immediately upon activation, the user gains the benefits of Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Owl's Wisdom, Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendor, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Greater Invisibility, Nondetection, Greater Magic Fang, and protection from all alignments. However, each round after activation, each of these effects has an independent 50% chance of dissipating without warning. This chance increases by 1% each round, and by 5% each time an effect is lost.

Signmaker
2010-01-12, 11:11 PM
Bag of Holding with Hole:

As Bag of Holding, Type 1, but a noticable hole is on the side of the bag, which leaks one item every 1d6 hours.

Grumman
2010-01-12, 11:11 PM
Keyboard of Thread Animation
When used as a focus for an Animate Dead spell, this keyboard allows the caster to avoid the requirement for a material component. However, it can only be used to animate threads and epistolary discussions.

phantomreader42
2010-01-12, 11:28 PM
When used as a focus for an Animate Dead spell, this keyboard allows the caster to avoid the requirement for a material component. However, it can only be used to animate threads and epistolary discussions.

This reminds me of an encounter idea I had, with a cleric negotiating (badly) with enemy soldiers and going through a bag of onyx, while they laugh at the feeble attempt at a bribe. He responds with an indignant huff. "How dare you accuse me of bribery! I was merely counting my gems to ensure I had enough material components to raise you as zombies once we kill you. I so hate to waste good corpses."

Deth Muncher
2010-01-12, 11:34 PM

This may be the most creative text-only method of denoting Thread Necromancy I've ever seen. Kudos.

taltamir
2010-01-12, 11:35 PM
OP, look up the GURPS magic item creation rules, if you use the quick and dirty enchantment (you usually will), you have a chance of having flaws. They have a great list of potential flaws that would work no matter your system.

Zaq
2010-01-12, 11:39 PM

Replace "Netherese" with "Truespeak" and you have perhaps one of the best trash-talk lines before (during?) a duel of Truespeakers ever.

(Because, you know, there's more than one, right? Yeah, ok, I didn't think so either. Still, the line makes me giggle.)

That could also be a way for a nontraditional Bard to Inspire Competence in his Truenamer ally. Perform (Shouting)!

phantomreader42
2010-01-12, 11:45 PM

I now have a line for my kobold. I think he's the only party member who speaks Draconic. :cool:

chiasaur11
2010-01-12, 11:55 PM
Idea!

An artifact that links the user, mind and soul, to an imprisoned god. The thing's ancient, powerful, and generally an asset, even turned down by centuries of imprisonment. The determined can use it to see the edges of the world and the true nature of reality.

Unfortunately, it links you into the mind of a god in constant agony. And it is screaming. Constantly.

Trobby
2010-01-13, 12:18 AM
That sounds the iron boots from the Legend of Zelda games. :smalltongue:

Exactly what I was thinking. :smalltongue:

I have one along the same lines...

Ioun Stone (Blue with Wings)
Shape: Circular
Effect: Every round, select an enemy. The Ioun Stone grants +2 to hit vs. that enemy. However, the Ioun Stone cannot be deactivated, and speaks in a shrill voice, giving you a -5 penalty to Move Silently. Only by breaking the enchantment on the Ioun Stone can you remove it.

"Hey! Listen!" :smalltongue:

And going with the punny name theme...

Belt of Giant's Stench
When you put on this belt, it appears to behave exactly like a Belt of Giant's Strength +4. Upon entering battle, however, the belt begins to emit a horrible stench that you yourself do not notice. For every round the belt stays on, the stench extends 10 ft. around you, reaching a maximum distance of 50 ft. All creatures (including allies) within that radius are sickened.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-13, 12:32 AM
Replace "Netherese" with "Truespeak" and you have perhaps one of the best trash-talk lines before (during?) a duel of Truespeakers ever.

(Because, you know, there's more than one, right? Yeah, ok, I didn't think so either. Still, the line makes me giggle.)

Actually, three or four campaigns back I had to run a standoff between three language-themed characters--a truenamer specced out to the point she was actually useful, a sorcerer/sublime chord specced for the Power Word series, and a cleric specced for Blasphemy and Dictum. All three of them were PCs, all of them had only Common in common among their languages known, and all three insisted on using that line.

Cleric: Infernal, mother****er! Do you speak it?
*Blasphemy*
Sorcerer: Hah! Is that the best you can do? Try Draconic, mother****er, do you speak that?
*Power Word: Pain*
Truenamer: Not bad, not bad. You speak truespeech, mother****er?
*Reversed Greater Word of Nurturing*

...8 or 9 rounds later...

Cleric: *thinking out loud* Hold on, you're chaotic evil so Blasphemy didn't work, but you're chaotic evil....
Truenamer: Meaning?
Cleric: MODRON, MOTHER****ER! DO YOU SPEAK IT!?
Truenamer ...Modron? That doesn't even--
*Dictum*
*SPLAT*
Sorcerer: ...how's about a truce?

Deth Muncher
2010-01-13, 12:43 AM
Actually, three or four campaigns back I had to run a standoff between three language-themed characters--a truenamer specced out to the point she was actually useful, a sorcerer/sublime chord specced for the Power Word series, and a cleric specced for Blasphemy and Dictum. All three of them were PCs, all of them had only Common in common among their languages known, and all three insisted on using that line.

Cleric: Infernal, mother****er! Do you speak it?
*Blasphemy*
Sorcerer: Hah! Is that the best you can do? Try Draconic, mother****er, do you speak that?
*Power Word: Pain*
Truenamer: Not bad, not bad. You speak truespeech, mother****er?
*Reversed Greater Word of Nurturing*

...8 or 9 rounds later...

Cleric: *thinking out loud* Hold on, you're chaotic evil so Blasphemy didn't work, but you're chaotic evil....
Truenamer: Meaning?
Cleric: MODRON, MOTHER****ER! DO YOU SPEAK IT!?
Truenamer ...Modron? That doesn't even--
*Dictum*
*SPLAT*
Sorcerer: ...how's about a truce?

I like all of that. The fact that there were three language based characters in one campaign though...that's pretty great.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-13, 12:47 AM
I like all of that. The fact that there were three language based characters in one campaign though...that's pretty great.

Were any of them Illumians?

Shademan
2010-01-13, 04:27 AM
Boots of random flying! there fancy blue shoes with golden wings will make you fly! sometimes... almost...
whenever you activate them they first shoot you straight up in the air 1d10 feet then you can fly as per the spell. for 2d12 rounds before you plummet to the ground.
also, the boots may activate (50% chance) whenever you jump and and when you crash (face it, you will) the boots have a 10% chance of exploding.

Killer Angel
2010-01-13, 04:42 AM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking.

Why to invent a "not quite cursed item", if there is one existing? :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-01-13, 05:52 AM
Longsword of Ice
A +2 longsword that does a d10 of frost damage on a successful hit but freezes itself to the target with a 6" radius sphere of ice, requiring a Str check of 13 to remove.

Don't lick it! :smallbiggrin:

How about a...

Helm of Forced Empathy
This nondescrept helm allows the wearer to read the emotional state of any sentient being within 30 feet. This gives the wearer a +10 bonus on any Diplomacy checks made to interact with any of these creatures. However, the wearer of the helm must succeed on a Will save (DC 15 +1 per sentient being within 30 feet) each minute the helm is worn or become confused for a number of minutes equal to the number of minutes worn. In order to remove the helm of forced empathy the wearer must succeed on a DC 25 Will save.

Or maybe...

Eversmoking Bottle
This 12 ounce metal bottle is warm to the touch and tightly stoppered with a cork. Thin streams of sickly-sweet smoke constantly come out from around the stopper. If the stopper is removed, a cloud of smoke fills a 5 foot radius area immediately. The smoke cloud expands another 5 feet for each round the bottle remains unstoppered, to a maximum of a 30 foot radius spread.
The smoke has the following effects:
Each being within the smoke cloud has its vision reduced to 5 feet. Anything beyond this distance has concealment (20% miss chance). Each creature within the cloud recieves a -2 to Will saves against spells of the Phantasm subtype, and also suffer a -5 penalty to Concentration and Sense Motive checks.
At the beginning of each round, every creature within the area of effect of the cloud must make a DC 20 Will save or become confused until the creature exits the cloud and for 1d10 - CON modifier minutes afterwards.
After exiting the cloud, each creature must make a DC 15 (+ number of rounds spent in the cloud) Fort save or become exceedingly hungry, and forsake all other pursuits to find something to eat. This includes, but is not limited to dropping weapons in the middle of combat, saying, "Man, I'm starving," and wandering off in search of something to munch on.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-01-13, 08:16 AM
How about a Longsword of Criticals

This longsword usually acts as a normal longsword (or a +1 longsword or whatever you expect in your game).

If the command word is used before an attack it will automatically critically hit its next target, doing full damage. This effect can only be used once per battle (or perhaps once per day, depending on the setting)

The downsides - which you don't tell the players about - are that:

The only information an identify spell will give is the command word and the details above. A very expensive enquiry to a Sage about the sword may come up with the history of the sword (see below), from which the players may start to infer the rest of these points.
The owner of the sword is linked to the sword the moment he uses the command word, and can no longer use any other weapons without a -4 penalty. This link cannot be removed by anything short of a wish. The sword is pretty much indestructible.
Each time the command word is used the sword takes the power it requires from a randomly-selected magical item from any member of the party including the owner of the sword. This leaves the item drained (+2 sword becomes a +1 sword, potions become useless; other magic items become useless or weakened - adjust the effect as required).
The owner of the drained item does not find out that the item has been drained until he comes to use it (unless he is explicitly checking his items for the effect).

Your players will have great fun trying to figure out what is going on.

Essentially, the sword was created by either a consortium of mages trying to keep magic rare (and therefore expensive and profitable) or a cabal trying to eliminate magic. Might even be a couple of plot hooks in it...

FuegoAzul
2010-01-13, 08:23 AM
A cloak of stealth which loses its stealthiness only when you're surrounded by enemies. Like if the Elves of Lothlorien wanted to pull a prank on the fellowship or something. "Oh trust us guys these cloaks will keep you very stealthy..."

Grumman
2010-01-13, 08:23 AM
Each time the command word is used the sword takes the power it requires from a randomly-selected magical item from any member of the party including the owner of the sword. This leaves the item drained (+2 sword becomes a +1 sword, potions become useless; other magic items become useless or weakened - adjust the effect as required).
The owner of the drained item does not find out that the item has been drained until he comes to use it (unless he is explicitly checking his items for the effect).
This is not a good item. A cursed item that feeds on the user's magic items is one thing, but one that feeds on everyone else's magic items will destroy your campaign. And there's no reason why it should be able to distinguish between friend and foe and only draw magic from friends, unless they intentionally lower their defences.

Kami2awa
2010-01-13, 08:31 AM
Amulet of Sundering the Fourth Wall

The wearer of this amulet hears a voice in his head apparently trying to control him. Another voice, rather sinisterly called the "Game Master", appears to be controlling other aspects of his life. The PC must roll a DC 20 will save each day to avoid insanity; however, the Game Master knows all and his voice occasionally gives hints to things the PC is not aware of.

Rahva
2010-01-13, 08:33 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Boots of Eternal Dancing. Preferably the blue suede variety, or the type with a big buckle on the front (Boots of Eternal Riverdancing).
They make the wearer dance non-stop, cutting their move rate in half. Perform checks related to dancing are increased by 20. Even more fun when fatigue sets in.

Zom B
2010-01-13, 08:57 AM
Amulet of Sundering the Fourth Wall

The wearer of this amulet hears a voice in his head apparently trying to control him. Another voice, rather sinisterly called the "Game Master", appears to be controlling other aspects of his life. The PC must roll a DC 20 will save each day to avoid insanity; however, the Game Master knows all and his voice occasionally gives hints to things the PC is not aware of.

I like how the character has to roll the d20 instead of the player. That makes it better by at least ten orders of magnitude.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-01-13, 11:26 AM
This is not a good item. A cursed item that feeds on the user's magic items is one thing, but one that feeds on everyone else's magic items will destroy your campaign. And there's no reason why it should be able to distinguish between friend and foe and only draw magic from friends, unless they intentionally lower their defences.

It's based on an item in a successful game. There's no reason whatsoever why it should destroy the campaign on its own.

Likewise, while there's no reason why it should be able to distinguish between friend and foe, there is also no reason why it shouldn't. I remember some DnD effects that gave bonuses to the party and penalties to the enemy.

If you don't like the "only draws from the party" part then have it drawing from any nearby items. That works too.

phantomreader42
2010-01-13, 11:44 AM
It's based on an item in a successful game. There's no reason whatsoever why it should destroy the campaign on its own.

Likewise, while there's no reason why it should be able to distinguish between friend and foe, there is also no reason why it shouldn't. I remember some DnD effects that gave bonuses to the party and penalties to the enemy.

If you don't like the "only draws from the party" part then have it drawing from any nearby items. That works too.

And drawing from nearby items would lead to the party finding drained, useless treasure.

phantomreader42
2010-01-13, 11:50 AM
Boots of random flying! there fancy blue shoes with golden wings will make you fly! sometimes... almost...
whenever you activate them they first shoot you straight up in the air 1d10 feet then you can fly as per the spell. for 2d12 rounds before you plummet to the ground.
also, the boots may activate (50% chance) whenever you jump and and when you crash (face it, you will) the boots have a 10% chance of exploding.

Here's a troublesome flying item I actually used in a campaign

Treasure-Hunter's Carpet
This appears to be a magic flying carpet until activated. It has room for the full party. However, once activated it cannot be controlled. When activated, it will automatically transport its riders to the location of a great treasure. The carpet can pass through solid objects and make use of existing planar portals. The treasure selected will be heavily guarded, and the carpet will not function again until the guardians are defeated and the treasure collected. Under no circumstances will it transport the party to a safe location. The party will have to find their own way home.

Grumman
2010-01-13, 11:55 AM
What game is that? And why wouldn't your Cursed Sword of PvP cause these sorts of problems? "Gee, sorry I disjoined 38,000 gp worth of enhancement on your sword. No hard feelings?"

That is quite different, because a spell like Prayer is basically two targeted effects in one: it helps the people you choose to help and hurts the people you choose to hurt. As it has the caster choosing who falls into which category, this makes sense. Your cursed sword doesn't make sense, because there is no in-universe label saying "Party Member", and so must rely on someone or something to tell it who to target. And nobody in their right mind is going to tell it to target their friends.

Trobby
2010-01-13, 12:51 PM
Here's a troublesome flying item I actually used in a campaign

Treasure-Hunter's Carpet
This appears to be a magic flying carpet until activated. It has room for the full party. However, once activated it cannot be controlled. When activated, it will automatically transport its riders to the location of a great treasure. The carpet can pass through solid objects and make use of existing planar portals. The treasure selected will be heavily guarded, and the carpet will not function again until the guardians are defeated and the treasure collected. Under no circumstances will it transport the party to a safe location. The party will have to find their own way home.

*Imagines the entire adventuring party going "SPLAT" when the carpet passes through a brick wall*

...heh...:3 I'd make a truly evil GM.

True Universal Solvent
This item appears to be a bottle of standard Universal Solvent, even to the most advanced magical detection. Upon pouring it, however, it will begin to dissolve anything that it comes into contact with, often causing bodily harm to those trying to dissolve tanglefoot bags. Often the solvent will go so far as to dissolve all the way to the core of whatever planet it is on, with any more than an ounce of solvent usually causing widespread geographical problems, potentially even cataclysmic. Only one substance can resist the Universal Solvent's power, usually chosen by the creator of the True Universal Solvent. A common choice is ordinary universal solvent, as it is used to coat the inside of the bottle, adding to the appearance of completely normal Universal Solvent.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-13, 01:23 PM
Longsword of Wounding Pride

This weapon gains an additional +1 to hit, and deals an extra 2d4 damage per hit, due to the viciously well-timed insults it hurls. However, it also imposes a -5 penalty to diplomacy checks... For the same reason.

Jayabalard
2010-01-13, 01:40 PM

Isn't that similar to dosing a girl with Ecstacy to make her want you?No, it's more like some 3rd party dosing both of you with something to make you want each other.

Tharkie
2010-01-13, 02:19 PM
Correct, but its also sexist because it removes the choice as to whether or not to terminate pregnency.

How, exactly, is that sexist? :smallconfused:

Manga Shoggoth
2010-01-13, 02:21 PM
What game is that? And why wouldn't your Cursed Sword of PvP cause these sorts of problems? "Gee, sorry I disjoined 38,000 gp worth of enhancement on your sword. No hard feelings?"

It was a 1st Edition AD&D game. And it was indeed the focus of some ... interesting ... inter-party relations.

That is quite different, because a spell like Prayer is basically two targeted effects in one: it helps the people you choose to help and hurts the people you choose to hurt. As it has the caster choosing who falls into which category, this makes sense. Your cursed sword doesn't make sense, because there is no in-universe label saying "Party Member", and so must rely on someone or something to tell it who to target. And nobody in their right mind is going to tell it to target their friends.

So, why is Prayer capable of differentiating between party and non-party, and yet my item is not allowed to make the same differentiation. (Actually, I was thinking of bard song as an example, but the same arguement holds).

Besides, doing a critical to a target and draining a (randomly) selected party item is two targeted effects. Just because you are't chosing the target...

There is a very useful effect (guaranteed critical hit with full damage - useful in the right circumstances) with a corresponding penalty. I grant you that the balance may not be right which is why I suggest adjusting the effects as required.

And drawing from nearby items would lead to the party finding drained, useless treasure.

Which would be another reason to think twice before using it.

(If I remember correctly the campaign in question was a relatively high magic campaign, and one of the planned subplots was trying to get rid of the sword. I should note that I was not a player in the campaign, but rather a participant in discussions afterwards so I may not have all the details straight. It was also over 20 years ago...).

clockworkmonk
2010-01-13, 02:29 PM
Here's a favorite at my table:

The Potato Sack of Flying

it is an enchanted burlap sack, and when you put it over your head, you can fly. and cutting the sack ruins the magic.

good times

Jayabalard
2010-01-13, 02:34 PM
OP, look up the GURPS magic item creation rules, if you use the quick and dirty enchantment (you usually will), you have a chance of having flaws. They have a great list of potential flaws that would work no matter your system.That's a pretty good suggestion; it's a nice example of how generic systems can be applied to other RPG systems.

unfortunately, those rules aren't part of gurps lite, so they're not free.

Grumman
2010-01-13, 02:38 PM
So, why is Prayer capable of differentiating between party and non-party, and yet my item is not allowed to make the same differentiation. (Actually, I was thinking of bard song as an example, but the same arguement holds).
Because Prayer or the bard song isn't the thing doing the differentiating - the caster is.

Closak
2010-01-13, 04:07 PM

...I want that sword...

Hey Ancient Black Dragon! *Pulls out sword* Say hello!

Dr Bwaa
2010-01-13, 05:38 PM

Win.

But since the thread seems to be sticking around, I guess I'll post in it :smalltongue: There's some quite good stuff in here =D I like the Treasure Hunters' Carpet a lot :smallbiggrin:

I know I've contributed this elsewhere on GitP, but I once gave a party a wand (they found it, functional, on a skeleton at the bottom of a pit trap amidst several other broken wands, vials, etc). A Wand of Create Wand, that is. Of course, the party (small party) was in a dungeon and couldn't be bothered to ID the wand, so they just started using it. Funny!

Manga Shoggoth
2010-01-13, 06:07 PM
Because Prayer or the bard song isn't the thing doing the differentiating - the caster is.

So... Prayer does not affect any enemies that the caster is unaware of (in cover, for example)? At least you can argue that the enemies can hear a bard's song.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 06:13 PM
Win.

But since the thread seems to be sticking around, I guess I'll post in it :smalltongue: There's some quite good stuff in here =D I like the Treasure Hunters' Carpet a lot :smallbiggrin:

I know I've contributed this elsewhere on GitP, but I once gave a party a wand (they found it, functional, on a skeleton at the bottom of a pit trap amidst several other broken wands, vials, etc). A Wand of Create Wand, that is. Of course, the party (small party) was in a dungeon and couldn't be bothered to ID the wand, so they just started using it. Funny!

What kind of wands did it make?

Deth Muncher
2010-01-13, 06:22 PM
What kind of wands did it make?

Wands of Create Wands, naturally. Because yo dawg, I herd u liek creating wands, so I made your Wand of Create Wands create Wands of Create Wands, so you can create Wands of Create Wands while you create Wands of Create Wands so you...(ad infinitum)

Dr Bwaa
2010-01-13, 06:28 PM
Wands of Create Wands, naturally.

Of course.

...Don't give one to the players unless you've thought about what they can do with infinite (flammable) material, though. The answer is "lots of funny things."

Jack_Simth
2010-01-13, 06:50 PM
Healing Shiv
When used, this +1 dagger does not damage the target; instead, it heals the target a number of HP equal to what it would have dealt, normally.
It is also Vorpal. On a roll of a natural-20, it kills the target. It does not heal this type of wound.

AKA, you can use it to heal someone, but there's a pesky chance of it instantly killing them, instead.

Staff of Painful Recovery
This staff functions as a +1/+1 staff. However, it never deals lethal damage - it always deals nonlethal damage. Additionally, the staff converts an amount of lethal damage already suffered by the target equal to the amount of damage the staff dealt into nonlethal damage.

AKA, it make people get healthier faster (nonlethal damage heals much faster than does lethal damage), but isn't making you any friends.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-13, 07:00 PM
I'm trying to develop a low magic campaign in which almost all magic is in magic items. Trouble is these items are not enchanted perfectly and I would like some help coming up with more.

Decanter of Endless Butter: Sure, an endless stream of lightly melted butter may seem like a great thing, until after much abuse, you realize how much weight you've gained.

Bag of Poles: A bag the size of a spell component pouch that you can draw 10ft poles out of. Awesome, right? Well, you can draw poles from it endlessly, but you can only have out 10 at a time. If you draw another one, the oldest pole vanishes. Accidental chaos frequently enuses.

Monocle of Detailed Vision: +5 spot bonus. Routinely notices minor details in everything. Thats right, EVERYTHING. Have fun.

Quick Release Armor: Can remove it as a free action via command word. The command word is "butter". Use in conjunction with the decanter.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-13, 07:02 PM
Wands of Create Wands, naturally. Because yo dawg, I herd u liek creating wands, so I made your Wand of Create Wands create Wands of Create Wands, so you can create Wands of Create Wands while you create Wands of Create Wands so you...(ad infinitum)

I would seriously use this to end the earth. Awesome, awesome idea.

Just imagine, a quantity of wands that doubles every round until you run out of terrified commoners to use them. Sure, they may fail the UMD checks a lot. You really don't care. There will be more wands to use.

phantomreader42
2010-01-13, 07:10 PM

*Imagines the entire adventuring party going "SPLAT" when the carpet passes through a brick wall*

...heh...:3 I'd make a truly evil GM.

I kinda intended that to mean "carpet and all passengers". :P

Another idea:

Collar of Catcalling
This well-made, lightweight but sturdy leather collar adjusts to fit any humanoid of Small or Medium size. It has a small silver bell, which strangely makes no sound through normal movement. When the bell is struck, it gives off a clear, pleasing note.
When the collar is put on, the wearer gains the benefit of a constant Speak With Animals spell, and a +2 competence bonus on any Diplomacy, Wild Empathy, Handle Animal, or Intimidate check used to influence a feline. She can also deliberately strike the bell, as an immediate action which requires a free hand but does not provoke AoOs, to cast Remove Fear on herself.
If the wearer falls asleep with the collar on, she will have a dream in which she will encounter a variety of felines, all of them friendly. The wearer is encouraged to play and frolic with them. Upon waking, she will have a tail, with fur resembling that of her favorite cat from the dream. The appearance of the tail is painless. It is permanent, but can be removed by a Polymorph spell or the like. The tail grants a +2 competence bonus on Balance checks, but is somewhat difficult to hide.
The next night, the wearer will gain retractable claws. These are invisible when retracted. They can be extended or retracted at will as a free action. When extended, they deal slashing damage as normal for claws of the wearer's size, unless the wearer is a monk, in which case they deal the normal amount of unarmed damage a monk would deal. These count as natural weapons, and can be enhanced by spells like Magic Fang. Using both at once imposes normal penalties for two-weapon fighting with two light weapons.
Subsequent changes include the following:
She grows thin whiskers, which grant +4 on Escape Artist checks to fit through small spaces. The whiskers are so thin they are not noticed by others from a distance without a DC 20 Spot check. The DC drops to 12 at close range.
Her feet change to paws, granting +2 on Jump checks, but making normal shoes fit badly. When claws on both hands and feet are extended, they can be used for climbing, granting bonus as a masterwork climbing kit, but only on suitable surfaces (wood, but not smooth stone).
Her legs reshape to a more feline form, granting the ability to double land speed for 5 rounds, but using this ability renders her fatigued.
Her ears change to feline, granting +2 on listen checks, but -2 on Disguise.
Her face elongates into a feline muzzle, granting a bite attack and the Scent ability, but increasing the disguise penalty to -6. In addition, she gains +4 on Intimidate checks against rodents or birds, but -4 on such Diplomacy checks.
Finally, she gains full-body fur, in the same pattern as her tail. This grants +4 on saves against cold temperatures (but not cold spells) and +1 natural armor. The Disguise penalty increases to -10, and she can no longer blend into normal humanoid society, though a Disguise Self spell works as normal. The Speak With Animals ability and skill bonuses granted by the collar become inherent, and remain after it is removed, but are lost if a Polymorph or similar spell is used to return her to her original form. Once the transmutation is complete, the collar grants the benefit of a continuous Cat's Grace spell, and the ability to cast Cat's Grace on another target once per day.
The collar is not cursed, and can be removed at any time with no difficulty, but doing so will not reverse transformations.

I'll have to use this sometime!

Touchy
2010-01-13, 08:43 PM
So the PC becomes a furry?

Needs an anti-furry sister-item. For the use of causing chaos between PCs.
I'm getting started right away.

Although I have no previous experience homebrewing 3.5, and would prefer if someone were to do it instead.

First draft:
Staff of Fur-slaying
At first appearance, this weapon appears as a staff of fire, any creature wearing or under the effects of Collar of Catcalling will not be able to wield this weapon. The wielder gains a +2 to all attacks and damage against all humanoids that have fur, all attacks gain the [fire] keyword against these creatures. When entering a 50 feet area of a creature under the effects of the Collar of Catcalling must make a 15 will save every 6 hours(+2 for ever 24 hours in the range of the creature) or change alignment into chaotic(current alignment) must attack and kill said creature (25 will check to negate), creatures that make the save will still feel a hatred for the Catcaller*, and may not help Catcaller* in anyway possible, the staff may freely be removed as long as a Catcaller* is not in a 50 feet area.

*Creature that is under the effects of Collar of Catcalling.
A bit to negative, not enough positive?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-13, 10:37 PM

Were any of them Illumians?

All of them were, in fact (well, technically one was a hellbred-formerly-known-as-illumian); it was a language-themed game where they were searching for lost scrolls of an ancient empire to translate, mucking around with the Primal Words of the Universe, etc. There were originally 5 PCs, all of them good, until a rather unfortunate mishap turned three PCs evil; by the time the abovementioned anecdote occurred, the other two had been...taken care of. The other two PCs were an intelligent legacy weapon/item familiar/intelligent item who knew practically every language ever created except the ancient tongue (its motivation for helping them) and the formerly-illumian hellbred bard/factotum who was trying to master both the Words of Creation and the Dark Speech.

In that vein, here are two of the items I used in that game (which I didn't know I still had saved until I started looking for the other 2 PCs' stats):

The Scroll of Universal Activation
This unassuming scroll holds, not a normal spell, but a single phrase in the Primal Tongue which loosely translates to "begin the magic." Anyone holding the scroll unrolled and correctly speaking the phrase* can use it in place of the command word to any magical item without needing to know the proper word, so the holder can unerringly activate wands, staffs, etc. without needing to be able to cast spells or make a Use Magic Device check.

Unfortunately, the astute reader will note that after the phrase written on the scroll there is a significant amount of scuffing where there may have been written something along the lines of "which I hold in my hand," "which I shall now name," or something else to constrain the magic. As it is, a random command-activate item within hearing is activated unless the user is able to specify the desired item in the Primal Tongue*. There is a 1% chance per use that all command-activated items will activate as well as a 1% chance per use that once an item is activated in this way its command word will change.
*PCs can learn how to use it in whatever campaign-specific way desired; I had some fairly complex linguistic rules in place.

Speaking-Cone of Hawke-Aowien
This normal-seeming parchment cone can be held up to the mouth to amplify one's voice as is normal for such a device; however, the item has two other functions, usable if the correct command words are known. First, if the cone is used as a focus when casting a spell, it grants a +1 bonus to the caster level of any spell cast with a verbal component and +2 to the DC of any spell with the [Sonic] or [Language-Dependent] descriptor.

Second, the user, when speaking through the cone, can speak in whatever language desired, with perfect translation of meaning and idiom; holding it up to his ear, he can understand any spoken language as well. However, because the gnomish wizard Hawke-Aowien had a rather interesting sense of humor, he enchanted the cone such that its magic is based on the direction of sound: When using it to listen to a language he does not himself speak, the user hears the opposite meaning of that which was intended to be conveyed, which could prove troublesome if alternate means of communication are not available to corroborate meaning.

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-13, 11:14 PM
The Cursed Train of New Plottsbergia
This appears to be an intelligent magical train, which is powered by phantom and arcane energies the likes of which would, like, totally blow your mind. It doesn't require tracks to run, and has a movement speed of 500 feet per minute. However, it can only move in increments of exactly 500 feet, and cannot turn or curve within those increments- it must travel in straight line segments of exactly 500 feet.
Once at least 1d4+1 occupants enter the 53 cars which compose the train, all of the occupants are immediately compelled to ask the nearest town's bartender about the strange disappearances of townspeople within that town. If an individual occupant does not complete this task within 24 hours, rocks fall and that occupant dies (no save). The Dungeon Master is encouraged to throw Cheetos(tm) at players that unjustly prioritise the immediacy of this situation.
Remove Curse, Break Enchantment, and Limited Wish will not remove this effect. Miracle and Wish may be used to remove this effect, but doing so will cause The Cursed Train of New Plottsbergia to seek out and run over or crush the former occupant for 1d20+5 years.

:smalltongue: