PDA

View Full Version : So when do you think we will se... (SoD Spoilers)

Cizak
2009-09-08, 02:07 PM
...Right-Eye's daughter?

I for one really hopes we get to do that, I mean it just feels wierd that she would have survived an attack that everybody else died in just to not ever be seen again, don't ya think?

Trobby
2009-09-08, 02:13 PM
I predict a vengeance subplot in the future. Nothing so far as becoming good-aligned or anything like that, but perhaps sometime in the future, we will see her show up and try to take on Xykon, at the least convenient time.

FoE
2009-09-08, 02:38 PM
Back when Therkla was around, there were approximately 5,918 threads proclaiming that various female characters were Therkla. The most popular theory was that Right-Eye's daughter was Therkla, despite the fact that Therkla was a half-orc and Right-Eye's daughter would have been a goblin. (Of course, rationality and Internet fandom have never gone hand in hand.)

In truth, I think it's a throwaway detail to soften the blow of Right-Eye's sad fate. At least his ENTIRE family weren't slaughtered mercilessly. It'll probably never be resolved and probably doesn't need to be; after all, we never found out what happened to Hilgya or Right-Eye's animated corpse, and we all survived somehow, right?

Kaytara
2009-09-08, 02:57 PM
Considering that his daughter is the only potential remnant Redcloak has of his brother, that his patience with Xykon has been steadily wearing thin, and that he has just been reminded of his brother in a very pointed way, as well as the various dilemmas he'd be facing if the daughter DID make an appearance..... I'd say it's a plot twist waiting to happen.

Anything as simple as Xykon ordering Redcloak to kill her or seeing her join the cause of the humans (she has apparently been raised by them, after all) or simply disapproving of the way he handles things would induce meaty character development for Redcloak, one way or another. It's also an ideal possibility for Redcloak getting a "second chance" when forced in a similar situation as the one at the end of SoD.

In short, IMO the chance of her NOT appearing is quite low. The storytelling value of her appearing would simply be too high to ignore.

Gift Jeraff
2009-09-08, 03:25 PM
For some reason, I imagined her appearing first in an antagonistic role against the Order (because, y'know, adventurers killed her family), but then allying with them after seeing that they share a common enemy (Xykon and possibly Redcloak--she could have found out the truth about Right-Eye from the Oracle or something).

Alternatively, or perhaps additionally, I'm hoping she was raised by blues (who exist in the OOTSiverse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html)), but that's mostly just because I want to see psionics and other goblinoids come into play. :smalltongue: (I'm also thinking we might see bugbears become a part of Team Evil's army.)

The Extinguisher
2009-09-08, 03:33 PM
Considering that his daughter is the only potential remnant Redcloak has of his brother, that his patience with Xykon has been steadily wearing thin, and that he has just been reminded of his brother in a very pointed way, as well as the various dilemmas he'd be facing if the daughter DID make an appearance..... I'd say it's a plot twist waiting to happen.

Anything as simple as Xykon ordering Redcloak to kill her or seeing her join the cause of the humans (she has apparently been raised by them, after all) or simply disapproving of the way he handles things would induce meaty character development for Redcloak, one way or another. It's also an ideal possibility for Redcloak getting a "second chance" when forced in a similar situation as the one at the end of SoD.

In short, IMO the chance of her NOT appearing is quite low. The storytelling value of her appearing would simply be too high to ignore.

He killed his own brother. I thought that was the point of that whole part. That Redcloak is so far gone he will do anything Xykon tells him to. I cannot see all these "Redcloak will betray Xykon" theories are not based on the idea of controlling the gates as any sort of valid. He had his chance, and he chose what side to be on.

The only way I could see this possibly happen is if Right-Eye's daughter shows up and is a stronger arcane spellcaster than Xykon. Which is really low on the possible spectrum.

Kaytara
2009-09-08, 03:51 PM
He killed his own brother. I thought that was the point of that whole part. That Redcloak is so far gone he will do anything Xykon tells him to. I cannot see all these "Redcloak will betray Xykon" theories are not based on the idea of controlling the gates as any sort of valid. He had his chance, and he chose what side to be on.

The only way I could see this possibly happen is if Right-Eye's daughter shows up and is a stronger arcane spellcaster than Xykon. Which is really low on the possible spectrum.

I did say "meaty character development for Redcloak, one way or another". I am by no means certain that he'll finally grow a backbone and stand up to Xykon and decide to do his own thing. I do think that Right-Eye's daughter would provide an excellent stage and catalyst that would show exactly what he ends up choosing. After all, what happened in SoD is his backstory, it does not eliminate the idea of his future development.

Maybe he'll just end up killing her, as well, of his own free will, and thus cement his development from a spineless sucker to a Complete Monster like Xykon. Entirely plausible. I wouldn't cast off the possibility of him betraying Xykon so lightly either, though. Of course, it's still very early for that. But the fact that he now so closely resembles his brother seems like a definite sign that something is going to happen and the issue of his loyalty to Xykon and his past is going to be addressed - again, one way or another. Besides, he has made steps in the right direction, already - it does take some amount of spine to lie to Xykon and trick him into staying in a ruined city to help establish a hobgoblin base when there's no real reason they couldn't be moving on.

Then there's the MitD. Not anything to do with Redcloak there, just saying that there seem to be seeds of dissent among Xykon's minions, excepting Tsukiko so far. Story-wise, both Redcloak and the MitD becoming separate players and entities from Xykon would be very interesting to watch, whatever the conclusion would be. After all, the ride is the fun part.

Cerrakoth
2009-09-08, 04:07 PM
Well, considering the fact MitD is hypnotised to kill Redcloack if he disobeyes Xykon, it seems to me that if the sister does come back(Despite the fact she'd be like 100, as right eye was clsoe to dieing of old age...) Then Red cloak would be killed by the MitD who would feel bad and beat up Xykon thus saving the day... :)

Gift Jeraff
2009-09-08, 04:10 PM
Well, it's Right-Eye's daughter, not sister, we're talking about. Also, it has only been 35ish years since Redcloak donned the Crimson Mantle and I think he is in his 50s. (I'm personally guessing that Right-Eye died at 49, since it would add to the whole "live to see 50" thing.)

Cerrakoth
2009-09-08, 04:26 PM
Woops *facepalm* It's to late :P But I'm sure a sister survived the original attack?

Thanatosia
2009-09-08, 06:24 PM
it does take some amount of spine to lie to Xykon and trick him into staying in a ruined city to help establish a hobgoblin base when there's no real reason they couldn't be moving on.
Redcloak has been lying to Xykon from the moment they met onwards, non-stop pretty much. Lying to Xykon isn't something that takes spine for him to do, its a daily habit, if not ritual. Their entire relationship is built on lies. They get along well because they both know the other is lying their asses off to the other, and not only are they ok with it, but they insist on it.... Xykon's big deal to Redcloak is to let him live the lie that he has no other choice but to follow the plan and that killing his brother was justified. Xykon also knows that Redcloak lies to him constantly, and in his own words: "don't confuse not caring with no knowing. I was willing to let yout lie to me right up until the point where you disobeyed a direct order.", and that seems to be the standing rule of their relationship, Redcloak has a free pass to lie his ass off to Xykon as much as he wants, Xykon helps Redcloak live a lie of self deception, and obediance is the only thing demanded in return.

Shale
2009-09-08, 06:27 PM
Different kinds of lying, though. What Redcloak did in Azure City wasn't just making himself feel better; he was manipulating Xykon to further his own agenda (Goblin equality) at the expense of Xykon's (get to a gate!).

Thanatosia
2009-09-08, 06:39 PM
I would be totaly shocked if Xykon was realy completely unaware of Redcloaks manipulations in Sapphire City, and the reasons behind them. A running theme with Xykon is that the's a hell of a lot more intelligent and observant then he lets on (or at least has been since Lichification). There is nothing time-sensative in Xykon's plot to sieze a gate, the only time limits imposed on his schemes are his own patience and boredom, so he let Redcloak have his way for a while.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-08, 06:44 PM
Different kinds of lying, though. What Redcloak did in Azure City wasn't just making himself feel better; he was manipulating Xykon to further his own agenda (Goblin equality) at the expense of Xykon's (get to a gate!).

Redcloak has done that from the very beginning.

As Redcloak knew that Xykon is not strong enough to challenge the Dark One. And Redcloak doesn't mind the whole world being destroyed either, but Xykon does care. But I don't know how much that changed since Xykon became a Lich

David Argall
2009-09-08, 06:54 PM
Assuming we ever see her, a very definite IF, it will likely be in book 7. That is the proper place for a heel face turn, and she might make a decent excuse for that.

lothos
2009-09-08, 07:02 PM

If you are right (and I hope you are), I could almost see the big reveal going along the lines of:

Redcloak: "The Paladins never told you what happened to your uncle....."
R.E's Daughter: "They told me you killed him !"
Redcloak : "No. I am your uncle !
R.E's Daughter: "No. It's impossible !"
Redcloak: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true !"

etc. :-)

Then finally the story can end with Xykon about to zap her with a lot of lightning bolt spells and Redcloak picking Xykon up and throwing him in to the final rift.

littlequietguy
2009-09-08, 07:07 PM
This means that if it was a revenge then Redcloak might actually die!
I can think of other obvious reasons she would be mad but that would be the most interesting one.

Thanatosia
2009-09-08, 11:41 PM
Redcloak has done that from the very beginning.

As Redcloak knew that Xykon is not strong enough to challenge the Dark One. And Redcloak doesn't mind the whole world being destroyed either, but Xykon does care. But I don't know how much that changed since Xykon became a Lich
Xykon still Likes the World (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html) plenty even after Lichdom, and has no interest in destroying it, unless he gets realy realy bored.

Lkctgo
2009-09-09, 12:19 AM
We will see his daughter when redcloak finally gains some balls to betrays Xykon and try to break free. I.E not in another 100 strips.

Jagos
2009-09-09, 12:23 AM

What would be icing on the cake:

She's a strong fighter just like her father, making Redcloak reminded of her even more.

Then we could get into revenge subplots and equality subplots and cheese for all. :)