PDA

View Full Version : Guess the OOTS PC levels?

Promatim
2009-09-08, 04:29 PM
Hey everyone. I was wondering, what are the thoughts about the likely levels of the main cast?

They way I see it-

Roy - 17-18
Haley - 16-17
All other PCs - 14-16

This is just a wild guess, since they don't seem to have any epic spells yet, but seem to be able to wipe the floor with half the monster manual.

I don't have a 3.5 monster manual open in front of me, but I remember juvenile black dragons having a CR of 16 or so at least, and V fought one almost by herself.

We know Durkon isn't lvl 17 yet, because he needs the remains of a body to rez. (Unless he crossclassed outside of cleric and I missed it.)

Thoughts? Am I aiming too high?

While we're at it, guessing Xykon and Redcloak's level might be fun.

I think Xykon - 24-25. I thought lower til the super-V fight.

Redcloak I'm guessing is around 16-19.

The Blackbird
2009-09-08, 04:34 PM
Hey everyone. I was wondering, what are the thoughts about the likely levels of the main cast?

They way I see it-

Roy - 17-18
Haley - 16-17
All other PCs - 14-16

This is just a wild guess, since they don't seem to have any epic spells yet, but seem to be able to wipe the floor with half the monster manual.

I don't have a 3.5 monster manual open in front of me, but I remember juvenile black dragons having a CR of 16 or so at least, and V fought one almost by herself.

We know Durkon isn't lvl 17 yet, because he needs the remains of a body to rez. (Unless he crossclassed outside of cleric and I missed it.)

Thoughts? Am I aiming too high?

While we're at it, guessing Xykon and Redcloak's level might be fun.

I think Xykon - 24-25. I thought lower til the super-V fight.

Redcloak I'm guessing is around 16-19.

When Roy was raised he would have gone down a level, he would be way behind because of all the XP the others would have gotten in between.

Redcloak has never cast a 9th level spell(Unless one of the summon monster spells was, I didn't check that) , I think he's about 16th level or so.

EDIT: Also checked, he has cast extended summon monster 7, taking up one 8th level spell slot, that is the highest level spell he has cast.

I also don't think V has ever cast an 8th level spell, the highest (Non super) spell he/she's cast was prismatic spray, which is 7th level.

I'm not certain about a juvenile black dragon having a CR of 16, that sounds really high for a black dragon so young. I don't think red dragons of that age have that high a CR.

EDIT: I checked this, juvenile black dragons are CR 7.

If you see the Class Levels and Geekery thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95005)they work at this thing well, but I think you're a little over.

EDIT: I good way to tell on these things is to count the number of attacks they get per round, and the highest level spell they cast.

Zevox
2009-09-08, 04:51 PM
Class Levels and Geekery thread has discussion of this sort, and current best guesses.

We know for sure that V is 14 exactly, and Elan is 13 as a Bard and at least 1 as a Dashing Swordsman, giving him 14 minimum. Most likely the rest of the Order is pretty much that level as well, with Roy being one level behind since his resurrection.

Xykon is currently pegged at 26 minimum, due to the power of the spells he displayed himself as able to cast during the fight with epic V. Redcloak is known to be 15 minimum, but not likely to be 17 yet, as we have never seen him cast a level 9 spell, only up to level 8.

Zevox

BatRobin
2009-09-08, 04:55 PM
Isn't Xykon Epic?

The Blackbird
2009-09-08, 04:56 PM
Isn't Xykon Epic?

Um, yes.

Level 21+ is considered epic level.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-08, 04:58 PM
Isn't Xykon Epic?

yes that's what level 21 and over mean.

Promatim
2009-09-08, 05:54 PM
Ah, I guess I was a little over on most counts.

I assumed roy was the highest, since he was the leader and has attempted to fight Xykon twice.

I don't know where I got the inflated black dragon numbers. My monster manuals are v3.0, were dragons stronger then? I have 4.0 monster manuals around somewhere, but I am not as familiar with them, and I never got MM's for 3.5 (which oots seems to exist in.)

I'm assuming dragons didn't get nerfed too much between 3.0 and 3.5, and that my memory is just off.

Liwen
2009-09-08, 09:54 PM
Ah, I guess I was a little over on most counts.

I assumed roy was the highest, since he was the leader and has attempted to fight Xykon twice.

I don't know where I got the inflated black dragon numbers. My monster manuals are v3.0, were dragons stronger then? I have 4.0 monster manuals around somewhere, but I am not as familiar with them, and I never got MM's for 3.5 (which oots seems to exist in.)

I'm assuming dragons didn't get nerfed too much between 3.0 and 3.5, and that my memory is just off.

Nah, he was just doing the big 'hero thing'. I always though he was level 14 when he died, now he would be 13 and with all the Role Playing XP he got in heaven, plus the encounter with the Evil party, he's going to level at the next random encounter, if he hasn't already.

The rest of the order is about 14-15 in my opinion.

Redcloak is 16th level, unless he's been saving his 9th level spells for something really scary all this time.

Xykon is somewhere near 28-30, making him the highest level character from this plane of existence we have so far encountered. (V's master might have a similar level, but slaying a Black Dragon is hardly a challenge for any well prepared epic level wizard.

Soon, the only one shown to have defeated Redcloak and Xykon without an overpowered plot device (Like the Guardian Virus or The Gate's Exploding Sigil and an Overdose of Adrenaline and Awesome), with some cannon fodding assistance from an army of ghost paladins would be about 25th level, with the important advantage of being a ghost and having a load of anti-undead class abilities. Nevertheless, he's the only one I consider to have fairly beaten Team Evil. The silver dragon in Xykon's tower did not have the time to officially defeat them, but things were going well for him in those first rounds.

Hann
2009-09-09, 12:42 AM
Soon, the only one shown to have defeated Redcloak and Xykon without an overpowered plot device (Like the Guardian Virus ... The silver dragon in Xykon's tower did not have the time to officially defeat them, but things were going well for him in those first rounds.

Shh! They don't know about those if they haven't read the books!

Lkctgo
2009-09-09, 11:49 AM
When Roy was raised he would have gone down a level, he would be way behind because of all the XP the others would have gotten in between.

Redcloak has never cast a 9th level spell(Unless one of the summon monster spells was, I didn't check that) , I think he's about 16th level or so.

EDIT: Also checked, he has cast extended summon monster 7, taking up one 8th level spell slot, that is the highest level spell he has cast.

I also don't think V has ever cast an 8th level spell, the highest (Non super) spell he/she's cast was prismatic spray, which is 7th level.

I'm not certain about a juvenile black dragon having a CR of 16, that sounds really high for a black dragon so young. I don't think red dragons of that age have that high a CR.

EDIT: I checked this, juvenile black dragons are CR 7.

If you see the Class Levels and Geekery thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95005)they work at this thing well, but I think you're a little over.

EDIT: I good way to tell on these things is to count the number of attacks they get per round, and the highest level spell they cast.

I don't know about that, Rich doesn't usually draw all their attacks, as he admitted himself, but V does usually cast her highest spells first to quickly end the fight.