PDA

View Full Version : Seeking E6 Character Optimizations

Stegyre
2009-09-08, 05:30 PM
I'm working on a modified E6 campaign and interested in how optimized people will be able to make characters with the rules I plan to have in place (should they choose the optimization path). Thought I'd throw it open to see what GITPers can come up with.

My purpose is two-fold. First, I'd like to see just what's possible, and I don't have nearly the optimization history or experience of some folks around here. Second, I'm looking for ideas that will make for interesting NPCs, both good guys and bad guys. :smallsmile:

Here are your constraints:

1. Six character levels / Maximum ECL 6. (My suspicion is that with a max. ECL of 6, LA1+ races won't be worth taking, but I'm happy to have someone prove this wrong.)

2. In addition to whatever feats are obtained due to race and class choices for levels 1 to 6, an optimization may take up to 20 additional feats. (But feel free to use less, especially if additional feats are simply a distraction from the goal of the optimization: I can always use such "empty" slots for flavor in an NPC.) All prerequisites for a feat must be met, which will make some feats off limits. Although I'm personally not inclined to allow temporary effects (such as spells or items) satisfy feat prerequisites, for purposes of this exercise, I'd like to leave that open. Just "show your work," so I can see what you're doing.

3. Characters are allowed to rebuild levels by the following rules:

a. For the expenditure of 5,000 XP (i.e., the same price as a feat), a character may exchange one existing class level for any other class level for which the character meets the prerequisites. A class level that forms an essential prerequisite for another class level cannot be rebuilt. The character must first rebuild an existing class level before any of that class level’s prerequisites may be rebuilt. If a class level that forms the prerequisite for an existing feat is rebuilt, that feat is lost and will have to be repurchased if the character ever again meets the qualifications. If a class level that forms the prerequisite for an existing maneuver or spell slot is lost, the maneuver or spell slot is likewise lost. Known spells for memorized casters (e.g., wizards) are not lost but may not be cast if the character lacks the necessary spell slots.

b. Because in many cases a prestige class may provide its own prerequisites, this technique may permit a character to rebuild one or more of the underlying class levels with prestige levels. This is possible even in the case of prestige classes granting caster level increases: even if all of the underlying caster levels are rebuilt, the prestige class levels “remember” their original derivation and are not affected by that rebuilding. For example, if a prestige class had a prerequisite that a character be able to cast 3rd level arcane spells and added a caster level at each prestige level, the character could, with 25,000 XP, replace all five of the original caster levels with prestige levels, which would still count (for spell purposes) as caster levels of the original class.

c. In all cases of rebuilding, a character’s BAB, saving rolls, skill points, class- and cross-class skills, power points, powers, class abilities, etc., are recalculated based upon the character’s new combination of class levels.

Godskook
2009-09-08, 05:41 PM
Is LA buyoff allowed? If it is, depending on how they rule it works for LA +2 and above, it might be worth it in E6, since you could probably find non-LA +0 races with abilities that are worth more than the feats you'd be buying with that XP.

Stegyre
2009-09-08, 05:58 PM
Is LA buyoff allowed? If it is, depending on how they rule it works for LA +2 and above, it might be worth it in E6, since you could probably find non-LA +0 races with abilities that are worth more than the feats you'd be buying with that XP.
For now, assume that buy off is allowed but only under the existing rules and limited to what you can buy off by ECL 6.

I confess, I've always found the buyoff rule quite confusing, but I'll try revisiting it tonight.