PDA

View Full Version : Underdark= Down Under?

Admiral Squish
2009-09-08, 07:18 PM
This just occured to me. Instead of treating the underdark as dark scary place, what sort of changes in the world would their be if it was viewed more like the outback? Yes, it's dangerous, but is it not a relatively utouched wilderness with strange and fascinating life? I mean, you're sure as hell not gonna find fungus groves above ground.

Underdark tour companies?
Inns/taverns built in the cave entrances?
Maybe even, god help us, an underdark version of the crocodile hunter?

Ponce
2009-09-08, 07:22 PM
Have you SEEN Australian spiders? Trust me, its the same place. The topic is truer than you realize.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-08, 07:22 PM
Drow, australian for beer?

Optimystik
2009-09-08, 07:25 PM
One big difference between the Underdark and the Outback is the relative lack of slavery in the latter. Knowing your caravan can at any moment be hijacked by Drow/Duergar/Svirfneblin/Illithid raiders tends to put a damper on your safari.

I agree it would be a little more fun to explore if it were just strange creatures down there and not also highly intelligent, malevolent, and well-organized humanoids and aberrations. :smallwink:

fuzzywolf
2009-09-08, 07:27 PM
That's not a scimitar . . . now this is a scimitar?

In a lot of standard D&D settings, the underdark is where all the real baddies live -- evil elves, gnomes and dwarves, beholders, illithids -- intelligent things which are actively seeking the destruction of all that is good. So that would probably put a damper on tourism.

I am, however, seized with a sudden urge to do a Journey to the Center of the Earth type campaign.

SoD
2009-09-08, 07:30 PM
One big difference between the Underdark and the Outback is the relative lack of slavery in the latter. Knowing your caravan can at any moment be hijacked by Drow/Duergar/Svirfneblin/Illithid raiders tends to put a damper on your safari.

I agree it would be a little more fun to explore if it were just strange creatures down there and not also highly intelligent, malevolent, and well-organized humanoids and aberrations. :smallwink:

Actually, the Svirfneblin are typically N, not actually evil. You could've included Chitine though. Fun times, eh?

Ponce
2009-09-08, 07:32 PM
Actually, the Svirfneblin are typically N, not actually evil. You could've included Chitine though. Fun times, eh?

Yeah, its regular gnomes that are unspeakably evil.

...filthy little pedophiles...

:smallwink:

shadzar
2009-09-08, 07:35 PM
Umberhulks? you can eat 'em but they taste like ****!

Menzoberranzan is a penal colony?

A dingo ate my drider?

It coudl work.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-08, 07:39 PM
Have you SEEN Australian spiders? Trust me, its the same place. The topic is truer than you realize.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4070/bigspider.jpg

Froogleyboy
2009-09-08, 07:42 PM
Yeah, its regular gnomes that are unspeakably evil.

...filthy little pedophiles...

:smallwink:

Finally, someone sees my point

Lorien077
2009-09-08, 07:43 PM
You know, for a silly setting I would have a blast with that. You wouldn't be able to take anything evil down there into a serious light, (snerk, or perhaps you should, it usually helps :P ) but it'd be hilarious.

Teln
2009-09-08, 07:43 PM
I have an urge to go post this on /tg/.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-08, 07:47 PM
The Underdark has rangers, Australia has rangers... I see a connection here.
http://im.rediff.com/movies/2006/sep/04poster.jpg

Dixieboy
2009-09-08, 07:49 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4070/bigspider.jpg

HOLY BOOP!:smalleek:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-08, 08:16 PM

True, but this does remind me of how Australia used to be a penal colony... I can see a human kingdom or two throwing criminals into the Underdark to fend for themselves rather than just executing them, for any variety of reasons. :smallamused:

deuxhero
2009-09-08, 08:23 PM
If you penal colony has a community, make the de facto leader a corrupt judge/sorcerer called Judge Michael Adams.

Ok, beyond that little censor and the number of dangerous creatures, I know next to nothing about the "land down under".

Cheesegear
2009-09-08, 08:27 PM

Being Australian...I need to weigh in.

The aptly named... Goliath Birdeater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_eating_spider). Hit it with a shoe. I dare you.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/5/5/633771443433572435-australia.jpg

Unfortunately, what most non-Australians don't realise, is that it's the small spiders you've got to look out for. The above poster's image is a Huntsman spider, and is as common as dirt, pretty much safe (their venom sucks - for an Australian spider, that is) to pick up (even if they are bigger than both your hands put together), take outside, and feed to the Magpies and Kookaburras. But, Huntsmen are good to have around the house to kill cockroaches...And other spiders.

The most deadly spider - Sydney Funnel Web - in Australia is only about 5cm (2"? Much smaller than a Huntsman) wide. One bite is pretty much a guaranteed kill in about half an hour.

There are currently 135 'common Spiders' in Australia. Any decent Australian should be able to give you at least 10 right off the top of their head. And if they don't name at least one of either the Funnel Web, Mouse, White-Tail or Redback Spider; there's something wrong with them.

There should also be Drop Bears hanging from the ceiling. And Bunyips lurking in every other corner. Forget Umberhulks. Get yourself a duck-billed beaver with poisonous spurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus), that live in the underground lakes.

Drow keep slaves not because they're cruel. But, because they're perpetually lazy and drunk. And they need 'someone else to do all the work'. It should be noted that in one point of our history, Rum was legal tender. It was discontinued when the authorities realised that people could make their own Rum.

Lastly Everything is bigger in Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_megafauna).

Also, Cricket.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-08, 08:40 PM
First person to bring me stats for an underdark version of the crocodile hunter or, better yet, crocodile dundee, will receive cookies. Multiple. Awesome-flavored cookies.

Cheesegear
2009-09-08, 09:05 PM
First person to bring me stats for an underdark version of the crocodile hunter or, better yet, crocodile dundee, will receive cookies. Multiple. Awesome-flavored cookies.

Okay, this is a preliminary. Keep in mind that this guy's goal is to find animals. Not kill them. Merely catch them and stick them in a cage. Or point them out to all his friends so they can avoid it. This guy works best as an NPC 'guide-like' character. I've made him a generic Dwarf. Although, could probably be a Deep Dwarf as well.

Dwarf, (Any) Good, Ranger 5 / Deepwarden 8 / Cavelord 7
Deepwarden - Races of Stone
Cavelord - Underdark

{TABLE=head]Level | Class | Feats {Bonus Abilities}
1 | Ranger | Improved Unarmed Strike {Favoured Enemy (Animal), ACF - Trap Expert, Wild Empathy}
2 | Ranger | {Two Weapon Fighting}
3 | Ranger | Clever Wrestling {Endurance}
4 | Ranger | {ACF - Spiritual Guide}
5 | Ranger | {Favoured Enemy (Aberration)}
6 | Deepwarden | Darkstalker {Track, Trap Sense +1}
7 | Deepwarden | {Stone Warden}
8 | Deepwarden | {Animal Messenger}
9 | Deepwarden | Combat Reflexes {Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge}
10 | Deepwarden | {Stubborn Mind}
11 | Deepwarden | {Sending}
12 | Deepwarden | Expeditious Dodge {Swift Tracker, Trap Sense +3}
13 | Deepwarden | {Improved Uncanny Dodge}
14 | Cavelord | {Tunnelrunner}
15 | Cavelord | Pulverise {Cave Tracker, Lesser Cavesense}
16 | Cavelord |
17 | Cavelord | {Tunnelswimmer}
18 | Cavelord | Superior Unarmed Strike, {Strength of Stones}
19 | Cavelord |
20 | Cavelord | {Greater Cavesense}[/TABLE]

Some hints;
Trap Expert (Dungeonscape); Since Deepwarden gets Track and Trap Sense anyway, getting him to gain Trapfinding and DD as a class skill (whilst Ranger) can only be helpful in the Underdark.
Clever Wrestling (Complete Warrior); Obviously.
Spiritual Guide (Complete Champion); Since this is Australia, I figure he's in touch with the Dreamtime or something. As such, has an Animal Guide, rather than a Companion. And also grants Commune with Nature, which Mick Dundee can totally do.
Darkstalker (Lords of Madness); Since this fellow spends most of his time in the dark, this can only be helpful.
Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild); He gains AC if he's moving.
Pulverise (Champions of Ruin); Pretty sweet move. Since you can use fists in a Grapple.
Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle); Obviously

Things to know;
120ft. Darkvision, along with Tremorsense. If he can't see it, he can tell the party to "Oi, quit movin' you lot! You 'ear that!?" Along with Darkstalker, he should be able to get the drop on anything and everything, and/or lead you through the Underdark, bypassing all the DANGER! (http://www.campchaos.com/blog-archives/2006/05/schoolyard_of_danger.html)

Animal Messenger is around, because, he's Australian. That way, he can say "Oi Skip! Go get help! We're stuck down the well!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skippy_the_Bush_Kangaroo). Although, Wild Empathy may also be good for that too.
Along with Sending, because he's got to tell his viewers party what he's found and that it's a beauty!

He's got Trap Sense, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Expeditious Dodge. You could swap out Pulverise for Mobility, if you want him to move that badly. But, then he wouldn't be Russell Crowe Fightin' Round the World.
Another good choice would be to swap out Pulverise for Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm), so he can start grapples super-easily.

And, happenstance gives him Tunnelswimming, which means he can hold his breath three times longer than normal underwater. Grappling wizards (who have low CON/Fort) underwater wont end well for them. It means he can also grapple better with amphibious reptiles.

On top of which he gets his CON bonus to AC (instead of DEX, not 'as well as' like a Monk). So, his blatant 'hardcoreness' Australianitude is his armour.

Mando Knight
2009-09-08, 09:14 PM
I'll go for a mish-mash of both...

Human, NG, Ranger X / Beastmaster 4
Favoured Enemy (Aberration and Animal at least)

Improved Unarmed Strike
Combat Reflexes
Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) and Mobility
Skill Focus (Handle Animal) - For Beastmaster, also not entirely unfluffy in the first place
Pulverise (Champions of Ruin) - To beat things into submission when not using a Machete.
Adaptable Flanker (PHB2)
Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer)
Clever Wrestling (Complete Warrior)
Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon)

I think that might be a few too many feats. Still, that's what I came up with. Some ability to Speak with Animals or Charm Animals is a must, probably through Ranger spells.
Since we're underdark, Darkstalker feat would be helpful. Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle) would be awesome. But, like I said, this is my first crack at this. And I'm away from most of my books.

Favoured Enemies, 'Animal' should be self-explanatory. Abberation, simply so he can frequently say "Come check out why I found! Isn't she a beaut?"

Needs to be an underdark version. :smalltongue:

The Down-Underdark is an amusing concept that I must steal...

shadzar
2009-09-08, 09:15 PM
Not for sensitive viewers
Crocodile Hunter:

Traits: Bonus charisma
Disadvantages: Extreme fear of Ixitxachitl

Cheesegear
2009-09-08, 09:18 PM
Needs to be an underdark version. :smalltongue:

Swapped him from human to Dwarf. Is that better? Except I really don't think there's a way to get that many feats...All the other feats are 'general' and don't apply to the Surface any more than they do the Underdark. Except for Darkstalker.

Maybe hit up the Dark Hunter PrC? Deepwarden. Hell. Yes.

Maybe I'll check out the CharOp thread.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-08, 09:20 PM
I'll go for a mish-mash of both...

Human, NG, Ranger X / Beastmaster 4
Favoured Enemy (Aberration and Animal at least)

Improved Unarmed Strike
Combat Reflexes
Dodge, Mobility
Skill Focus (Handle Animal) - For Beastmaster, also not entirely unfluffy in the first place
Pulverise (Champions of Ruin) - To beat things into submission when not using a Machete.
Adaptable Flanker (PHB2)
Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer)
Clever Wrestling (Complete Warrior)
Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon)

I think that might be a few too many feats. Still, that's what I came up with. Some ability to Speak with Animals or Charm Animals is a must, probably through Ranger spells.
Since we're underdark, Darkstalker feat would be helpful.

Favoured Enemies, 'Animal' should be self-explanatory. Abberation, simply so he can frequently say "Come check out why I found! Isn't she a beaut?"

Hmm... The problem with this is neither dundee nor crocodile hunter have animals that stick with them. Their affinity for animals is likely a usage of wild empathy. I could understand ranger. The croc hunter would need more wrestling/grappling feats. Dundee would probably have something for intimidate.

Cheesegear
2009-09-08, 09:27 PM
Hmm... The problem with this is neither dundee nor crocodile hunter have animals that stick with them. Their affinity for animals is likely a usage of wild empathy. I could understand ranger. The croc hunter would need more wrestling/grappling feats. Dundee would probably have something for intimidate.

Yeah. I'm ditching Beast Master and Animal Lord altogether.

Some good ideas;
Cavelord (Underdark)
Dark Hunter (Complete Warrior) Rubbish. Nevermind.
Deepwarden (Races of Stone)
Prime Underdark Guide (Underdark)

The PUG isn't that great. Considering the other three two.

There aren't that many grappling feats. Except for Clever Wrestling which I've already got.

Improved Grapple + Earth's Embrace (Complete Warrior) instead of Natural Bond and Skill Focus. Considering he should have max ranks in Handle Animal anyway. And then get Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm) for something else. I know there's a way, but I can't remember how to get Tremorsense.

Earth Sense (Races of Stone) and it's related feats would also be handy.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-08, 09:34 PM
Not for sensitive viewers
Crocodile Hunter:

Traits: Bonus charisma
Disadvantages: Extreme fear of Ixitxachitl

I think you've got it exactly backwards--he wasn't really afraid at all; it should be a +4 bonus against fear, but a -4 penalty to all Wis-based checks while one is in sight: "Aw, look! Ain't she a beaut! I just love those vampiric manta ray cr--AACK!" *thud*

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-08, 10:27 PM
Really, Australia could be a Drow creation. Everything there is poisonous. If you find something that isn't poisonous, look out for the fangs and spikes. Seems like Lolth's kind of place.

Drakyn
2009-09-08, 10:28 PM
Really, Australia could be a Drow creation. Everything there is poisonous. If you find something that isn't poisonous, look out for the fangs and spikes. Seems like Lolth's kind of place.
Except that it's really sunny. Baking to death always was low on the underdark hazard list, unless you fell in magma.

shadzar
2009-09-08, 10:37 PM
I think you've got it exactly backwards--he wasn't really afraid at all; it should be a +4 bonus against fear, but a -4 penalty to all Wis-based checks while one is in sight: "Aw, look! Ain't she a beaut! I just love those vampiric manta ray cr--AACK!" *thud*

See, that is why he would have a fear of them now, otherwise he would have to be a Kender and just plain fearless. :smallconfused:

chiasaur11
2009-09-08, 10:47 PM
See, that is why he would have a fear of them now, otherwise he would have to be a Kender and just plain fearless. :smallconfused:

Nah.

I figure we're going Paladin style fearless.

Feels right.

shadzar
2009-09-08, 10:51 PM
But he always sounds so inquisitive, just like a kender, and always talks in questions.

"What would happen if I..."
"How about we get a little closer too...."

He also has the kender pockets going on.....

Drakyn
2009-09-08, 10:57 PM
I thought he was more concerned with wrasslin' critters than borrowing small objects from them, though.

Jayngfet
2009-09-08, 11:00 PM
This is the best concept ever. I swear aboleths would fir right in with the jellyfish and rays.

Meanwhile the drow would have a ball with the spiders, breeding them like crazy.

And then there's the weapons, the throwstick seems like a natural choice for the underdark as it can be wielded melee style or thrown for fleeing or ranged attackers.

shadzar
2009-09-08, 11:00 PM
The critters were the small objects he was borrowing.

Remember a kender will pick anything up that isn't nailed down!

kpenguin
2009-09-08, 11:03 PM
Have you ever heard of the Exile and/or Avernum games?

The basic idea is that a global expanding empire decides to send all of its criminals, misfits, dissenters, and outcasts into a series of underground cavern deep beneath the surface of the Earth, called either Exile or Avernum depending on the series. The exiles manage to carve their way out of an extremely hostile environment and establish their own nation.

So yeah, its basically Australia in THE UNDERDARK!

Admiral Squish
2009-09-09, 02:37 PM
Yeah... Now I'm going to spend hours pouring over lords of madness, underdark, and any other book I can find with mentions of the underdark to produce some sort of abberation wrangler/bushman thingie.

Umael
2009-09-09, 02:45 PM

*SNIP!*

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

What is WRONG with you people!?!?

loopy
2009-09-09, 02:56 PM
Get yourself a duck-billed beaver with poisonous spurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus), that live in the underground lakes./QUOTE]

And don't forget being stung by one of these quite innocent seeming duck-billed beavers will lead to months and months of EXCRUCIATING PAIN, as the venom seems to have been specifically designed not to kill, but to make life as exceptionally uncomfortable as possible.

[QUOTE=Cheesegear;6890848]Also, Cricket.

"It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavors look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side effect. ...It is the only sport that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport that shares its name with an insect. It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as the players-more if they are moderately restless." - Bill Bryson

I love my Country.

chiasaur11
2009-09-09, 03:03 PM
"It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavors look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side effect. ...It is the only sport that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport that shares its name with an insect. It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as the players-more if they are moderately restless." - Bill Bryon

I love my Country.

It's also the only sport to horrify the entire intergalactic community due to its sheer poor taste.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-09, 03:19 PM
There should also be Drop Bears hanging from the ceiling. And Bunyips lurking in every other corner. Forget Umberhulks. Get yourself a duck-billed beaver with poisonous spurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus), that live in the underground lakes.

Don't forget they have blindsight.
Yes, electroception.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroreception

So you can run, but you can't hide.

loopy
2009-09-09, 04:29 PM
Another thing to note. The Underdark didn't manage to kill its most famous Ranger. Australia managed to off the Croc Hunter easily enough though.

Australia: 1
Underdark: 0

The Glyphstone
2009-09-09, 04:35 PM
Have you ever heard of the Exile and/or Avernum games?

The basic idea is that a global expanding empire decides to send all of its criminals, misfits, dissenters, and outcasts into a series of underground cavern deep beneath the surface of the Earth, called either Exile or Avernum depending on the series. The exiles manage to carve their way out of an extremely hostile environment and establish their own nation.

So yeah, its basically Australia in THE UNDERDARK!

Way to bring back so many fond memories.....I wish I still had my Exile disks, I remember buying the Exile III deluxe package complete with little hint booklet...

Amiel
2009-09-12, 03:15 AM
This just occured to me. Instead of treating the underdark as dark scary place, what sort of changes in the world would their be if it was viewed more like the outback? Yes, it's dangerous, but is it not a relatively utouched wilderness with strange and fascinating life? I mean, you're sure as hell not gonna find fungus groves above ground.

As an Australian, I must say I conscientiously object to this portrayal of my beloved country. Although our people are scarce, we are still quite modern. We have even harnessed the power of kangaroos and emus for locomotive purposes; no other country in the world have managed to do so. And as we all know, the rangers over here have kangaroos and koalas as animal companions.

Many over here also have resist poison, which can only be a good thing.

This is perhaps a far more accurate representation of Australia, the Greatest Land Down Under.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Ash_Mantle/6131_118983912304_621127304_1956061.jpg

Like Cheesegear said, it's not the big spiders you have to watch out for, they're mostly harmless and you can easily transport them outside using just your hands, it's the little buggers that are supremely dangerous.
The highly aggressive Sydney funnel-web (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider), the world's most venomous spider is also one of the smallest. The extremely venomous redback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider) is even smaller than it.
We also have the world's most venomous snakes; the taipan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipan), the tiger snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake), the king brown snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis) just to say a few; 1, 2 and 3 in the world. So, Australia's got dangerous denizens down pat.

Australia, a great place to live and a great tourist spot; you beauty.

Cheesegear
2009-09-12, 03:34 AM
Australia, a great place to live and a great tourist spot; you beauty.

Australia; Come by some time. Rawhide lives here. :smallbiggrin:

I forgot to mention, the platypus (and echidna) are mammals...That lay eggs. Yeah. :smallwink:

Amiel
2009-09-12, 03:56 AM
Technically monotremes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotremes).
Incredibly ancient, those two are little changed from what they were millions of years ago.

Australia, where nothing changes and all the better for it.

Mattarias, King.
2009-09-12, 04:02 AM
:smallbiggrin: Okay, this is totally my next campaign setting. I just got a kangaroo-skin wallet from my uncle that lives there. It's pretty sweet. Freaks out my friends every time. Platypi (Uhh..?) are totally getting the aberration subtype. :smalltongue:

Edit: :smallannoyed: That's it, I'm never posting at 5 AM ever again..

Amiel
2009-09-12, 04:10 AM
Platypussies. Freaks people out every time.

Also, we're the only country who eats our own national emblems; the kangaroo and the emu.

oxinabox
2009-09-12, 04:43 AM
do other countries really not have redback spiders?
Really?
I honestly didn't know that.
The spider in the first picture was kinda small, just your average woodspider.
We have proable dozens in the backyard.

Kangaroo's arn't poisonous or spikey.
they do however have STR of like 25~30. an obsurdly high speed, and insane bonuses to jump,
oh and a Vorpal legs
Now was sort of CR is that?

SparkMandriller
2009-09-12, 04:49 AM
DERANGED GUNMEN

God damnit.

Keewatin
2009-09-12, 05:27 AM
Really?

Kangaroo's arn't poisonous or spikey.
they do however have STR of like 25~30. an obsurdly high speed, and insane bonuses to jump,
oh and a Vorpal legs
Now was sort of CR is that?

what do you mean vorpal legs? if you need stats you can base the Kangaroo off the errata for Deinonychus

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm its basicly what a kangaroo would be if it was a carnivore.

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-12, 06:05 AM

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/5/5/633771443433572435-australia.jpg

[zoology rant]
Umm... that's a Gold Orb-weaving Spider, still quite harmless. A huntsman does not build webs (apart from egg cocoons and perhaps to wrap prey (?), not sure about the later).

Huntsmen look like this:

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=huntsman+spider&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=vICrSp-wPNCZkQX3xvWVBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Are largely terrestrial or arboreal and yes are pretty harmless. Personally I find them ugly cute and they are good for controlling the roaches[/zoology rant]

Um...ignore the above :smallredface:...I thought you where reffering to the image in your post

pingcode20
2009-09-12, 06:14 AM
what do you mean vorpal legs? if you need stats you can base the Kangaroo off the errata for Deinonychus

Vorpal Legs (Ex)

On a successful critical hit against a creature of up to one size category larger than itself, the kangaroo's leg slam attack severs the opponents head or torso (whichever is closer to chest level) from its body. Though some creatures are not affected by the loss of their heads or torsos, most creatures die when their heads or torsos are kicked off.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-12, 06:21 AM
Technically it would be platypode, as "pus" is Greek rather than Latin.

And I'd believe that, given that I have more than once encountered a beholder in the underdark.

Cheesegear
2009-09-12, 06:40 AM
Also, rather than challenging each other in the form of duels. The Drow are forced into Pokemon-like duels known as 'Wombat Combat'. A ritualistic duel of honour in which one Drow allows himself to be bowled over and mauled by the opposer's angry wombat. And vice versa.

The person who is least mauled is the winner. As either
a) the opponent clearly is the owner of an inferior wombat, or
b) the victor has superior animal-wrangling skills and is skilled in the art of 'not getting killed by dangerous animals'.

Or, upon entering a duel, one can choose 'Disgruntled Wombat' as their weapon of choice. Similar to Roland choosing a Falcon in The Dark Tower. They are 'small' size, weigh twice as much as a Medium-breed dog, and can reach speeds of 40km/25mi per hour.

Fun fact; A Wombat's rear-end is reinforced with cartilage, and acts as a 'shield' against predators who are chasing it. And, given the often-barren conditions that a Wombat lives in, they've got a super-slow metabolism, able to survive up to fourteen days without food. If you don't believe in Evoloution, you haven't been to Australia. :smallwink:

Wow. Having checked Wikipedia, one of the wombat's tactics is to crush intruders in it's burrow against the walls. Take THAT Umber Hulk!

kwanzaabot
2009-09-12, 06:43 AM
Really?

If I recall correctly, redbacks and black widows are basically the same species. Or at least closely related.

Actually, Redbacks and black widows are from the same genus. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus)

oxinabox
2009-09-12, 07:58 AM
Vorpal Legs (Ex)

On a successful critical hit against a creature of up to one size category larger than itself, the kangaroo's leg slam attack severs the opponents head or torso (whichever is closer to chest level) from its body. Though some creatures are not affected by the loss of their heads or torsos, most creatures die when their heads or torsos are kicked off.

I don't know if servers head i quiet right, (though that is the what vorpal weapons do)
Maybe disembowels?

loopy
2009-09-12, 10:11 AM
As an Australian, I must say I conscientiously object to this portrayal of my beloved country. Although our people are scarce, we are still quite modern. We have even harnessed the power of kangaroos and emus for locomotive purposes; no other country in the world have managed to do so. And as we all know, the rangers over here have kangaroos and koalas as animal companions.

Stop spreading the deception that we Australians ride Kangaroos. No one takes us seriously. I will now tell all you foreign-types the truth:

We Australians don't ride Kangaroos to schools. We ride Emus.
http://www.lobsterdevil.com/australia/wildlife/Graphics/bird_misc/karen_emu.jpg
Thats right, Emus. Kangaroos are vicious creatures, ill-tempered, hard to domesticate, and have a kick that can kill a man. Not to mention the hopping is severely inconvenient from a 'not-being-motion-sick' point of view.

Emus, on the other hand, have a smooth running gait at speeds of up to 48kph (30miles per hour). Plus they are amusing to look at.

There you go, my foreign friends, mystery solved!

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-12, 10:18 AM
Why hasn't any of us Australians mentioned drop bears yet? Yes, dropbears fearsome koala/spider hybrids that drop from the trees to eat hapless humans...

Admiral Squish
2009-09-12, 10:23 AM
Emu also come equipped with intestine-ripping claws and a rather nasty peck!

I figured it out: Crocodile Dundee is a prime underdark guide, and crocodile hunter is a ranger / darkrunner.

Yora
2009-09-12, 10:24 AM
Emus, on the other hand, have a smooth running gait at speeds of up to 48kph (30miles per hour). Plus they are amusing to look at.
Face it, in your country, everything is amusing to look at. :smallbiggrin:

Like... like in the Underdark!!! :smalleek:

Amiel
2009-09-12, 10:25 AM
Stop spreading the deception that we Australians ride Kangaroos. No one takes us seriously. I will now tell all you foreign-types the truth:

We Australians don't ride Kangaroos to schools. We ride Emus.

There you go, my foreign friends, mystery solved!

Clearly this is someone in on the Disparage Kangaroos as Locomotive Devices campaign; emus are actually useless when it comes to riding them. Ungangly, hideous to look at, tediously slow, and prone to kicking at you, emus are a mean and dis-spirited bunch that do not take well to instructions. Essentially, if you ride emus, to anywhere, not just schools (again we see this poster's bias), you're screwed.

Kangaroos > emus.

Why hasn't any of us Australians mentioned drop bears yet? Yes, dropbears fearsome koala/spider hybrids that drop from the trees to eat hapless humans...

I mentioned it in passing on my map; man-eating koalas.

loopy
2009-09-12, 10:28 AM
Kangaroos > emus.

Them's fighting words!

You, me, a kangaroo, and an emu. Cage match battle at dawn. Last mammal/bird standing wins! :smallfurious:

Cheesegear
2009-09-12, 10:32 AM

I did. Ages ago. :smallconfused:

I figured it out: Crocodile Dundee is a prime underdark guide, and crocodile hunter is a ranger / darkrunner.

Rubbish. See below.

Okay, this is a preliminary (actually it's a more well-thought version of Round 1). Keep in mind that this guy's goal is to find animals. Not kill them. Merely catch them and stick them in a cage. Improved Unarmed Strike lets him deal non-lethal damage without penalty. So, he totally can.

Or he points out all the DANGER! to his friends so they can avoid it. This guy works best as an NPC 'guide-like' character. I've made him a generic Dwarf. Although, could probably be a Deep Dwarf as well. Duergar not so much. Since I hate LA.

I present Bazza Blokeson. His name is Barry, but his mates call him 'Bazza'.
Cavelord - Underdark

Prime Underdark Guides and Dark Hunters are rubbish. I couldn't find 'Darkunner', so, I'll ignore it. Anyway, I like how this turned out. He's not designed as a PC, and he's only optimised as far as the concept goes.

So, here is your Down Underdark Guide.

1 | Ranger | Improved Unarmed Strike {Favoured Enemy (Animal), ACF - Trap Expert, Wild Empathy}
9 | Deepwarden | Combat Expertise {Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge}
16 | Cavelord |
19 | Cavelord |

Some hints;
ACF - Trap Expert (Dungeonscape); Since Deepwarden gets Track and Trap Sense anyway, getting him to gain Trapfinding and DD as a class skill (whilst Ranger) can only be helpful in the Underdark.
ACF - Spiritual Guide (Complete Champion); Since this is Australia, I figure he's in touch with the Dreamtime or something. As such, has an Animal Guide, rather than a Companion. And also grants Commune with Nature, which Mick Dundee can totally do.
Clever Wrestling (Complete Warrior); Obviously.
Darkstalker (Lords of Madness); Since this fellow spends most of his time in the dark, this can only be helpful.
Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild); He gains AC if he's moving.
Pulverise (Champions of Ruin); Pretty sweet move. Since you can use fists in a Grapple.
Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle); Obviously

Things to know about the character;
Full BAB. :smallbiggrin: And only two dead levels.
120ft. Darkvision, and Track, along with Tremorsense. If he can't see it, he can tell the party to "Oi, quit movin' you lot! You 'ear that!?" Along with Darkstalker, he should be able to get the drop on anything and everything, and/or lead you through the Underdark, bypassing all the DANGER! (http://www.campchaos.com/blog-archives/2006/05/schoolyard_of_danger.html)

Combat Expertise, he clearly trades his AB for AC. Those beasties are dangerous. If they tag 'im, 'e's a goner!

Animal Messenger is around, because, he's Australian. That way, he can say "Oi Skip! Go get help! We're stuck down the well!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skippy_the_Bush_Kangaroo). Although, Wild Empathy may also be good for that too.
Along with Sending, because he's got to tell his viewers party what he's found and that it's a beauty!

He's got Trap Sense, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Expeditious Dodge. So, you know he can move when DANGER! arises. You could swap out Pulverise for Mobility, if you want him to move that badly. But, then he wouldn't be Russell Crowe Fightin' Round the World.
Another good choice would be to swap out Pulverise for Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm), so he can start grapples super-easily.

And, happenstance gives him Tunnelswimming, which means he can hold his breath three times longer than normal underwater and gains a swim speed. Grappling wizards (who have low CON/Fort) underwater wont end well for them. It means he can also grapple better and longer with amphibious reptiles... And Sharks. :smallamused:

Strength of Stones gives him +7 Strength (at level 20). Escape the grapple now! On top of which he gets his CON bonus to AC (instead of DEX, not 'as well as' like a Monk). So, his blatant 'hardcoreness' Australianitude is his armour. Keep in mind that this guy wears little to no armour. Since he's a ranger and needs to 'stay light'. And his weapons are his fists (and a single non-magical machete). He doesn't rely a whole lot on items. Just skill and experience.

The one downside (that I can see) is that Swift Tracker and Cave Tracker are the same ability. Except that Swift Tracker works everywhere. And Cave Tracker only works underground. Hey, hang on...It looks like most of his abilities work above ground too (if not all of his abilities, Tunnelrunner is the only one I can see that is 'underground only', and Cave Tracker, which is superfluous with Swift Tracker). Just so long as he's got his feet on the ground. :smallbiggrin:

I'm seeing something huge pop up. Him telling the rest of the party to 'Run, I'll 'old 'im off!' As he does, he jumps into the water (Machete drawn, but he'll lose it) screaming Raaaargh! as he holds off the Dire Platypus with his bare hands. "I don't wanna hurt'cha! Nah! You're a beut! C'mon!"

Amiel
2009-09-12, 10:33 AM
Emu also come equipped with intestine-ripping claws and a rather nasty peck!

You're thinking of the cassowary; why so serious? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary)

Them's fighting words!

You, me, a kangaroo, and an emu. Cage match battle at dawn. Last mammal/bird standing wins! :smallfurious:

Mate, you just brought a knife to a gun match.
No, this is a knife! Well, this is a gun!

Two slabs says the kangaroo will win; if you didn't see him fighting dirty, he didn't do it.

Semi-serious, the punching kangaroo, a dangerous denizen of the Underdark is actually a misnomer. It doesn't so much punch as kick. So it should more accurately be known as the kicking kangaroo.

Cheesegear
2009-09-12, 10:35 AM
Well, my Down Underdark Guide has been made (two posts up!), and I've edited my first one (by accident :smallamused:). His name is Barry, but his mates call him 'Bazza'.

Also, Dire Platypus.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-12, 05:56 PM
Kangaroos also have a wicked tail attack

Grumman
2009-09-12, 06:31 PM
Also, Dire Platypus.
Something like this (http://cyzra.deviantart.com/art/The-Wild-Down-Under-42550015)? (warning, DeviantArt link)

Weasel of Doom
2009-09-12, 07:16 PM
We also have the world's most venomous snakes; the taipan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipan), the tiger snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake), the king brown snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis) just to say a few; 1, 2 and 3 in the world. So, Australia's got dangerous denizens down pat.

Not just the top three, the 11 most venomous snakes are all Australian.
We aolso have poisonous octopuses

Admiral Squish
2009-09-12, 07:19 PM
Something like this (http://cyzra.deviantart.com/art/The-Wild-Down-Under-42550015)? (warning, DeviantArt link)

Now, where are the spinnerettes? Are all four of those back legs poisoned? How does it deliver it's venomous bite?

Amiel
2009-09-13, 09:59 AM
Not just the top three, the 11 most venomous snakes are all Australian.
We aolso have poisonous octopuses

It's still a great tourist destination though. Don't want to scare all the tourists away; also, I did say "to name just a few".
If it's venomous, scarily big, scary-looking or dangerous, chances are it's Australian. Also, if it's cuddly, furry and cute-looking, chances are it's Australian (owned and made) as well. I say, your (general you) odds are pretty good either way.

Outback Elves
Otherwise known as a Outbackians

__Medium: As Medium creatures, outbackians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
__Outbackian base land speed is 30 feet. Given their genial, laid-back nature, Outbackians ambulate at a rather accommodating land speed of 20 feet.
__1 extra feat at 1st level and 4 extra skill points at 1st level as per Humans.
__Immunity to non-magical fear
__+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison
__+2 racial bonus on Survival and Sleight of Hand checks
__Confounding Language: an outbackian may confuse others and obfuscate meaning through use of Outback slang; "ya drongo!," "Onya, mate!" "He's got a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock, fair dinkum" "Fair suck of the sauce bottle, mate" "programmatic specificity"
__Propensity for Abbreviation: Melbourne Cricket Ground>MCG>G; this is a display of affection rather than belittlement
__Names: Angie, Lizzie, Burgo, Johnno, Bazza, Mazza, Shazza, Dazza, Wozza, Loz
__Alignment: Larrikin
__Weapon Proficiency: Outbackians receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the cricket bat and/or longsword as bonus feats
__Favored Class: Any

Yora
2009-09-13, 01:15 PM
It's still a great tourist destination though. Don't want to scare all the tourists away; also, I did say "to name just a few".
I could scare people with the lethal dangers of Jutland. It's not "wind" until stuff is blown away, and don't talk about "storms" when there are no cars crushed by falling trees. And then there's the stuff with walking too far out on the beach at low tide and getting stuck in waist-deep mud, and the tide comes in and your milles away from the next coast!
There's probably lots of deadly stuff in almost all areas, if you don't know even the most basic things you really should NOT do. :smallbiggrin:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-13, 01:22 PM
Okay, this is a preliminary (actually it's a more well-thought version of Round 1). Keep in mind that this guy's goal is to find animals. Not kill them. Merely catch them and stick them in a cage. Improved Unarmed Strike lets him deal non-lethal damage without penalty. So, he totally can.

Or he points out all the DANGER! to his friends so they can avoid it. This guy works best as an NPC 'guide-like' character. I've made him a generic Dwarf. Although, could probably be a Deep Dwarf as well. Duergar not so much. Since I hate LA.

I present Bazza Blokeson. His name is Barry, but his mates call him 'Bazza'.
Cavelord - Underdark

Prime Underdark Guides and Dark Hunters are rubbish. I couldn't find 'Darkunner', so, I'll ignore it. Anyway, I like how this turned out. He's not designed as a PC, and he's only optimised as far as the concept goes.

So, here is your Down Underdark Guide.

9 | Deepwarden | Combat Expertise {Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge}
16 | Cavelord |
19 | Cavelord |

No levels of Fist of the Forest? Dip one level of Monk for IUS and Improved Grapple (for wrasslin'), and then take one level of Fist of the Forest for Con to AC as an untyped bonus.

kopout
2009-09-13, 01:50 PM

No, like this this

Dixieboy
2009-09-16, 12:21 PM
I could scare people with the lethal dangers of Jutland. It's not "wind" until stuff is blown away, and don't talk about "storms" when there are no cars crushed by falling trees. And then there's the stuff with walking too far out on the beach at low tide and getting stuck in waist-deep mud, and the tide comes in and your milles away from the next coast!
There's probably lots of deadly stuff in almost all areas, if you don't know even the most basic things you really should NOT do. :smallbiggrin:
That is ofcourse only western jutland.

Leon
2009-09-16, 12:41 PM
And I'd believe that, given that I have more than once encountered a beholder in the underdark.

Beerholders are a common creature, often swarming in pubs and Sporting events