PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Moderate-High Level Protection

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-08, 07:56 PM
I'm making a moderate-level D&D character (warblade base), but as he has gestalt his capacities come up to high-ish level. So, I have a question for those more experienced than me. What protections do characters need to have in order to fare well against various challenges? Incarnum gives permanent Water Walk and Protection from Evil, Warlock gives Spider Climb and See Invisibility, and Martial Adepts give limited teleportation and Iron Heart Surge.
Is there some sort of list of debilitating conditions that need to be protected against? Ability damage is sort of hard to endure, and can do a nasty number - I ran a test battle against a Mindshredder Zenthal (MM3), and while my character's Will save weathered the SLAs well, the Wisdom damage got to him before the Zenthal lost all its hp. His touch AC is pretty bad, too.

deuxhero
2009-09-08, 08:08 PM
Warblade/Psion is actually the standard non-cheese suggestion for gestalt as it had great synergy. Try that, I think it solves the issues you listed.

quick_comment
2009-09-08, 08:31 PM
Warblade//Psion is good.

Warblade//Factotum is also quite nice

It gets you int to attacks, saves, AC, skill checks and damage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-08, 10:20 PM
Depends on race, level, books, cheese, and what you want to Gestalt with, though PsyWar, Psion, and Factotum are all good choices.
Snag the Diamond Mind save-replace maneuvers for Fort and Will(yes, even if Ref is your worst save, bear with me). Use them not against the first save you have to make, but against the ones you cannot afford to fail. Go with some way of immunity to Crits(heavy Fort armor, odd creature type, Heart of X spells, Warshaper, or similar). Either learn to cast Death Ward or get it on an item(or through a racial feature). Snag some way of not being grappled(most likely through a maneuver+armor spikes to make it too painful to grapple you). Get access to interrupt actions like Celerity or Wings of Cover. Get access to extra actions like WRT and Factotum 8. You can probably dump Touch AC, it's too hard to boost compared to the likely AB of anything likely to be a threat.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-08, 10:21 PM
It's all there, really (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm).

Person_Man
2009-09-09, 09:13 AM
The easiest way to get immune to a bunch of conditions is to just play a Warforged, and enter one of their PrC that expands their immunities. There's also a lowish LA template to turn you into a plant (Woodling?), which is immune to pretty much everything except for Daze. You can get past Daze with the Quick Recovery feat (Lords of Madness), which helps when paired with Celerity or Born of Three Thunders.

In my opinion though, all you really need is respectably high hit points, AC, Saves, Evasion, Touch AC, and immunity to critical hits (in that order). You can get each of those any number of ways. Having a long list of Immunities is often pointless, as your DM will often just target the things you aren't immune to in order to challenge you. It's better to have good but broad defenses, rather then amazing but specific ones.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-29, 07:28 PM
Twenty days later, new Play by Post campaign. It's in epic this time, and looking through the list of status conditions, Petrification and Polymorphs might give me some trouble. Is the undead-style Immunity to Fort-Save-forcing effects adequate to protect against this area, or nay?