PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Psionic discipline?

Kylarra
2009-09-08, 10:37 PM
Just curious what people's favorite psionic discipline (and/or powers from that discipline) are.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for kineticist personally. I like staring at things and watching them explode.

Eldariel
2009-09-08, 10:41 PM
...hard to say. Well, I'm a sucker for Teleportation and Divert Teleport is one of my favourite powers ever. Too bad it's not school-specific. I also love screwing with peoples' minds so Telepathy is up there and I'm big on knowledge, so I have a thing for Clairsentience.

Shaper is really cool, but ultimately, I guess I'll go with the Nomad. I'm everywhere! Note that obviously it's not a very good choice since the key Teleportation abilities are available to everyone, but purely power-wise, Teleportation has the biggest appeal to me.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-08, 11:01 PM
Psychomagnetism. :smalltongue:

Kylarra
2009-09-08, 11:03 PM
Psychomagnetism. :smalltongue:Why am I not surprised Fax links to a homebrew? :smalltongue:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-08, 11:28 PM
Nomad hands down... followed closely by the seer one.. im such a terrible speller.

Sintanan
2009-09-08, 11:37 PM
My top three favs are psychoportation, metacreativity, and psychometabolism... but if I had to go with just one, I'd have to take psychometabolism.

But, if we could pick and choose what specialty is taken for each level:
1. Metacreativity Astral Construct; Minor Creation, Psionic
2. Telepathy Aversion; Brain Lock; Read Thoughts; Suggession, Psionic
3. Psychometabolism Ectoplasmic Form; Hustle
4. Metacreativity Fabricate; Quintessence
5. Psychometabolism Psionic Revivify; Pschofeedback; Restore Extremity
6. Psychometabolism Restoration, Psionic
7. Psychometabolism Fission
8. Metacreativity Astral Seed
9. Metacreativity Genesis; True Creation

Yukitsu
2009-09-08, 11:47 PM
Metacreation. I can fulfill more roles with a few moments to make up a solution on the spot than I could ever fulfill with any of the other disciplines.

Salvonus
2009-09-08, 11:53 PM
Sheesh, they're all awesome. How could anyone choose just one? :smalltongue:

alchemyprime
2009-09-09, 12:02 AM
Whatever has Fission, Fusion and Metamorphosis in it. I love the idea.

Add in Psionic Creation. I'll be Doctor Manhattan.

llamamushroom
2009-09-09, 12:15 AM
My favourite discipline is metacrativity (though that psychomagnetism is tempting), but my favourite power is Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm). There's just something about their body not being under their own control, but they can still fght it. So deliciously creepy.

Also, it's superficially similar to bloodbending.

Salt_Crow
2009-09-09, 12:30 AM
Clairsentience (Seer). Hypercognition & Metafaculty lets you bypass many non-combat encounters so you can jump into action.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-09, 12:44 AM
...but my favourite power is Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm). There's just something about their body not being under their own control, but they can still fght it. So deliciously creepy.

That just reminds me of a Rowan Atkinson sketch about an invisible man; probably about fifty instances of it on youtube.

As for myself; I've only ever used a shaper in an actual game (and that one only just started), but telepathy seems great; if only because it can lead to a lot of Lelouch-moments.

Draz74
2009-09-09, 01:05 AM
I think I'll vote Shaper as an overall favorite.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-09-09, 01:27 AM
Being an Akira fan, I have a special place in my heart for Psychokinesis. I really love Metacreativity, though. Psionics in general is a laugh and a half.

ghost_warlock
2009-09-09, 01:41 AM
Psychometabolism, no contest.

It really bugs me that expansion, reduction, and the various claws of the beast/bite of the wolf powers aren't on the Egoist list. :smallannoyed:

Eloel
2009-09-09, 01:53 AM
Kineticist hands down. It's just funny how the DM freaks out when you deal 10d6+20 damage, use the power that gets your future turn to now, and deal another 10d6+20 at 10th level.

Oh, that was supposed to be a big boss fight? Sorry, he's dead to 20d6+40 damage. The 8 guys by his side? They're also dead to 10d6+20.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-09, 02:32 AM
Kineticist hands down. It's just funny how the DM freaks out when you deal 10d6+20 damage, use the power that gets your future turn to now, and deal another 10d6+20 at 10th level.

Oh, that was supposed to be a big boss fight? Sorry, he's dead to 20d6+40 damage. The 8 guys by his side? They're also dead to 10d6+20.

Okay, I'm new to psionics and skimmed over a lot of powers, how do you do this and what level would you need to be? Not planning to use it; I just want to know what you're doing so that I can counter it in any "psionics-is-broken" arguments I get into in the future.

Zen Master
2009-09-09, 02:40 AM
Funny how little support there is for telepathy. Over the years, I've played 3 psions to decent-like level (which means 10-12, as high as my group ever gets), and they've all been telepaths.

Oh the joys of other peoples minds .. they are mere playthings of the truly enlightened.

Eloel
2009-09-09, 02:44 AM
Okay, I'm new to psionics and skimmed over a lot of powers, how do you do this and what level would you need to be? Not planning to use it; I just want to know what you're doing so that I can counter it in any "psionics-is-broken" arguments I get into in the future.

Energy Missile. Full augmentation. Priviliged Energy. Anticipatory Strike. Final Destination.

FMArthur
2009-09-09, 02:50 AM
Some of the self-targetted telepathy powers are my absolute favourite powers, but it doesn't thematically match the discipline, does it? I really love Psychometabolism powers in general though and I think it does a great job of being what it's supposed to be.

Raiki
2009-09-09, 02:54 AM
Oh the joys of other peoples minds .. they are mere playthings of the truly enlightened.

^This^

Telepath 15/Archpsion 5. Win.

Round 1: Schism, Quickened Ego Whip

Round 2: Regain Focus (Move Action with Psychic Meditation), Ego Whip, Ego Whip, Quickened Ego Whip

Round 3: Rinse, Repeat.

And if you have Psicrystal Containment, that first rounds Whip can ALSO be maximised...and don't forget to Augment.

I actually took out the BBEG of my campaign (who was also masquerading as my father incidently) by dropping over 100 points of Cha damage in 3 rounds.

~Raiki~

Edit: Also maybe Mindlink because communication=coordination.
And if you just need to vent a bit...Cranial Deluge is always good to relieve stress.

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-09, 02:59 AM
Full augmentation.

So you can't do it til level 10 (as far as the augmentation goes, I don't know when you'd get access to the rest of that)?

Temet Nosce
2009-09-09, 03:34 AM
Erudite, using StP.

Eloel
2009-09-09, 04:22 AM
So you can't do it til level 10 (as far as the augmentation goes, I don't know when you'd get access to the rest of that)?

You get Anticipatory Strike at 9th level. So it's doable from 9+. I just used 10th level for round numbers. 10d6+20 looks better than 11d6+22 imho.

Cyclocone
2009-09-09, 04:46 AM
+1 for Telepathy. Mind-control never goes out of fashion, and ego-whipping dwarves is just to fun to pass up.

Oh, and schism -"you better think twice".

woodenbandman
2009-09-09, 08:55 AM
Egoist (Psychometabolism).

Greater Metamorphosis for the WIN. Also that one with Fission and Fusion (Think it's Metacreativity).

Longcat
2009-09-09, 09:18 AM
Erudite, using StP.

+1

If you made me choose between the actual disciplines, I'd go with Telepath with Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct, Metamorphosis)