PDA

View Full Version : Are those ... Viashino?

FoE
2009-09-09, 01:09 AM
What are those lizard creatures? They're not lizard men; the lizard men in SoD looked much different. They're not kobolds, because they're too tall and orange. And they're not obviously not dragonborn, or the boobs would be more common. :smalltongue:

So what are they?

They must be viashino, a race of lizardlike creatures from Magic: The Gathering. Viashino love desert-like climates and they even have the same build. OMG, a D&D/Magic crossover!

http://wingant.it/magic/images/viashino_fangtail.jpg

RMS Oceanic
2009-09-09, 01:12 AM
Maybe Lizardmen look different to Lizardwomen. Did you consider that?

FoE
2009-09-09, 01:14 AM
Maybe Lizardmen look different to Lizardwomen. Did you consider that?

But that's a male prostitute in the middle of the other two hookers.

Herald Alberich
2009-09-09, 01:17 AM

What makes you think that? The whole point is that the boobs on the right one are fake - the middle one doesn't have them not because she's male, but because she's a reptile (of some kind).

RMS Oceanic
2009-09-09, 01:17 AM

Um, what? Did you read the joke at all? Reptiles don't have mammary glands.

KeiranHalcyon
2009-09-09, 01:20 AM

I think you missed the point...

EDIT: Ninja'd. Twice.

Trobby
2009-09-09, 01:21 AM
Could be Trogolodytes (http://www.geocities.com/sovelior/srd/monstersTtoZ.html#troglodyte) coming out from underground to get a few gold.

FoE
2009-09-09, 01:22 AM
Look, don't ask me how I know this stuff. My character was going through college, times were tight, he did some things and made some movies he's not proud of to pay the bills, OK? All those videos were perfectly legal in the part of the Underdark they were filmed, all right?! :smallannoyed:

In truth, I just assumed the middle one was a male prostitute because there was already one female prostitute on the block. Makes sense to diversify, you know?

But I still think they look like viashino.

RMS Oceanic
2009-09-09, 01:23 AM
Could be Trogolodytes (http://www.geocities.com/sovelior/srd/monstersTtoZ.html#troglodyte) coming out from underground to get a few gold.

Nah, OOTS Troglodytes are shorter and have different shaped muzzles (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html).

Kish
2009-09-09, 01:33 AM
At the risk of being boring, I'm pretty sure they're a human, a (female) lizardfolk, and a dragonborn.

The Tygre
2009-09-09, 02:18 AM
Ah. The identification of lizard species in OotS has been a bit of a hobby for me. As near as I can tell, it's fairly simple

Short, orange; Kobold (Easy, I know)

Rounded snout, stouter body, higher crest; Lizardfolk (Mostly working from Start of Darkness here)

Sharp snout, thin body, more 'eel-like' crest; Trogs (Going from On the Origin of PCs)

I consider scaly-folk to be an area of expertise. :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2009-09-09, 02:23 AM
So what are these strange beings, Professor Tygre?

The Tygre
2009-09-09, 02:28 AM
Hmm...

*feels prosthetic breasts*

*pokes behind internal ears*

*measures waist line*

*pokes crest*

*licks toe*

I am prepared to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these fine pieces of scaly tail are troglodytes, or at least something -very- similar to them.

FoE
2009-09-09, 02:33 AM

*measures waist line*

*pokes crest*

*licks toe*

I think you owe some money to that girl, now. :smalltongue:

Thank you for that ... scientific analysis, Professor Tygre. You've done this country a great service.

Thanatosia
2009-09-09, 03:25 AM
Nah, OOTS Troglodytes are shorter and have different shaped muzzles.
Pretty sure those are Lizardmen, their muzzels are pretty much a perfect match for the Lizardmen in Start of Darkness. The Reptilians in the most recent strip do look a great deal like the Monster Manual pic of Troglodytes, so I'm going to agree with that theory.

shadzar
2009-09-09, 09:38 AM
WILD and CRAZY idea.....We are on the western continent now. A land separate from those before visited...so things may look different.

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-09, 02:01 PM
Hmm...

*measures waist line*

*pokes crest*

*licks toe*

I am prepared to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these fine pieces of scaly tail are troglodytes, or at least something -very- similar to them.

Well, it would explain why Belkar described them as ...um... aromatic.:smallredface:

NerfTW
2009-09-09, 02:07 PM
At the risk of being boring, I'm pretty sure they're a human, a (female) lizardfolk, and a dragonborn.

And again,

----> The joke

-----> a poster's head.

The one on the right is the same species as the one in the middle. She spent her savings on breast implants. She's not a hybrid (at least, it's not implied), she simply modified her body to attract more customers.

The Extinguisher
2009-09-09, 03:04 PM
Can I secretly pretend they are Viashino anyway? Because that would be awesome.

veti
2009-09-09, 03:58 PM
It makes sense that reptilian (cold-blooded) creatures would thrive in a desert climate.

As for comparing them with those we've seen before - it's entirely possible that kobolds and lizardfolk on the Western continent would have different-coloured scales and differently-built bodies from those back east. After all, it happens with humans.

FoE
2009-09-09, 04:03 PM

Indeed you may! And so shall I! :smallbiggrin:

Tryble
2009-09-09, 04:46 PM
And again,

----> The joke

-----> a poster's head.

Seems like he's poking fun at the dragonborn's having boobs, but nobody mentioned that...

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-09, 09:51 PM
Look, if they were Viashino (Viashini?) , the lawyers from the spooooky wizards would show up and drag them away.

FoE
2009-09-10, 12:00 PM
Look, if they were Viashino (Viashini?) , the lawyers from the spooooky wizards would show up and drag them away.

Maybe they ate the lawyers. :smalltongue:

texascarl
2009-09-10, 12:42 PM
Wait. There are some things even reptilian prostitutes won't do.

Elfin
2009-09-10, 12:52 PM
I'm going with Professor Tygre on this one, and saying those are trogs.

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-10, 01:15 PM

Groooooan!

FoE
2009-09-10, 01:17 PM
There are some things even reptilian prostitutes won't do.

I suppose I should cancel my vacation to Sandsedge then ...

Keris
2009-09-10, 02:17 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with your analysis here. The troglodytes that appear in Origins are nearly identical to these (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html) fellas (last panel), differing only in head shape, which is more pointed. However, they retain the stoop and the head is not nearly as pointed as those of the reptilians in #676.

While the lizardmen in SoD have a single body/tail piece, and a greater stoop, they share the downwards pointing crest of the newcomers, although it's on their backs and not heads, while the #676 lizards have the frill on their heads but not backs. The frill is really the only similarity, should the lizardmen in SoD be representative of their entire race (the joke in the comic linked above implies that those reptiles were lizardmen, yet they appear far more similar to troglodytes).

So clearly, the reptiles are neither troglodytes nor lizardmen. This is further supported by the regions in which troglodytes and lizardmen can usually be found (their Environment listing), "underground" and "temperate marshes" respectively.

We also have the consider that the two lizards in #676 may not be the same race. Implants aside, they have different colourations, and have slightly different head shapes and positions (the lizard with the implants stands more upright).

FoE
2009-09-10, 03:17 PM
So clearly, the reptiles are neither troglodytes nor lizardmen.

They're viashino, I tell you! VIASHINO!

A cross-over between OotS and a staple of modern fantasy isn't as unlikely as you think. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html)

Jair Barik
2009-09-10, 03:22 PM
Or an obscure desert variant of another Lizardman type in the style of Blackscale lizardfolk or posiondusk lizardfolk, though these ones are clearly neither of the above

mockingbyrd7
2009-09-10, 06:39 PM
And again,

----> The joke

-----> a poster's head.

You win an internet.

Ubergeek
2009-09-10, 09:17 PM
Sadly, I don't know how much Rich knows about Magic.

But if I have any power over this, (which I don't, by the way,) then Viashino will be the new slang for the desert lizardfolk.

But... yeah. The Grixis Viashino were kinda revolting, but the rest were pretty cool.

kpenguin
2009-09-10, 09:19 PM

And I'll pretend Qarr is really an aboleth, tGWaH is in every single comic, and the whole thing is really a game of D&D.:smallyuk:

The Extinguisher
2009-09-10, 10:48 PM
And I'll pretend Qarr is really an aboleth, tGWaH is in every single comic, and the whole thing is really a game of D&D.:smallyuk:

But mine doesn't affect the comic that much.

Plus, the thought that Rich plays/played Magic is quite awesome.

AxeD
2009-09-20, 09:20 AM
Look, don't ask me how I know this stuff. My character was going through college, times were tight, he did some things and made some movies he's not proud of to pay the bills, OK? All those videos were perfectly legal in the part of the Underdark they were filmed, all right?! :smallannoyed:

You'll have to tell us the story behind that some day! :smallbiggrin:

The MunchKING
2009-09-20, 09:26 AM

For everything else, there's Mastercard.