PDA

View Full Version : Where can i buy baldur's gate?

darkblust
2009-09-09, 07:12 AM
I've been looking around,but i cant find any of the baldur's gates!Anyone have a suggestion for where to look?

Starbuck_II
2009-09-09, 08:01 AM
I found the PC Baldur's Gate Shadows of Aum (however spelled) at Walmart before.
Could try Amazon. I just checked and it worked.

http://www.amazon.com/Baldurs-Gate-4-1-Boxset-PC/dp/B000FGA1US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252501293&sr=8-1

That one gives you all 4.

MickJay
2009-09-09, 08:18 AM
There's a new pack in Poland, both Baldurs with expansions, both Icewinds with expansions, Planescape: Torment and one other rpg, all for 70PLN (roughly $25) in EMPiK stores, but you'd need to be in Poland to get it, and you'd need to speak Polish to play it, too (some very good voice acting, though). :smallwink:

Yora
2009-09-09, 08:45 AM
Getting a kind of Gold-Edition with both games and addons, or even together with icewind dale or planescape torment, should be much easier than to find only BG alone.

darkblust
2009-09-09, 01:52 PM
But where would i find it?I've looked at walmart,future shop,eb games,and staples,and those are the only places i thought they would be available.I heard they were making a new one,is that true?If so,they will probably all become easier to find.

Kish
2009-09-09, 02:00 PM
Rumors of Baldur's Gate III have been around ever since Baldur's Gate II came out. Unless you have a first-hand source I wouldn't put weight in them.

Amazon.com has it. (http://www.amazon.com/Baldurs-Gate-4-1-Boxset-PC/dp/B000FGA1US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252522912&sr=8-1)

Ikialev
2009-09-09, 03:16 PM
Seriously, get it on Amazon. If you are so lucky that you actually CAN use it, you should.

darkblust
2009-09-09, 03:36 PM
Why wouldnt i be able to use it?

Jamin
2009-09-09, 03:38 PM
I don't know it should run on anything that you can buy today.
edit that is a computer

daggaz
2009-09-09, 03:43 PM
There is a multi-pack on the market in europe right now, parts 1 and 2 as well as some of the expansions... i got it for dirt cheap, 100 kr (a new game often costs 800 kr) and it runs just fine on my XP system. Even with a suped up graphics card, you still walk too slow, so you dont have to worry about that problem :smallamused: (old games often need a special hack to slow them down, as they were designed for slower CPUs. try running DoomII on a pentium 3, its crazy fast!)

Matthew
2009-09-09, 05:21 PM
Yeah, you can pick up Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Bhaal for £10 via the compilation (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baldurs-Gate-Compilation-PC-DVD/dp/B000FGA1US)

Triaxx
2009-09-09, 05:21 PM
Yeah, though be advised that 'The Original Saga' has a FATAL error with XP systems. 64-bit systems in particular. It won't let you load it, so you'll have to play with TuTu or Big Picture and the BG2 engine.

Matthew
2009-09-09, 05:38 PM
Yeah, though be advised that 'The Original Saga' has a FATAL error with XP systems. 64-bit systems in particular. It won't let you load it, so you'll have to play with TuTu or Big Picture and the BG2 engine.

Weird. I have played it on numerous platforms without issue; 98, XP and Vista. Definitely works on Vista, at any rate, as I can load it up right now. :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2009-09-09, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I didn't encounter anything like that either.

SilentDragoon
2009-09-09, 05:54 PM
I can use it on both my XP and Vista systems... however I have problems with fog of war bugging on Vista, unless I use the fix which (rather pathetically) slows my fps to nil whenever I see water. For clarity's sake, I played BG1 vanilla, then installed the rest and was fine. Baldur's Gate 2 had no issues however.

Gundato
2009-09-10, 11:54 AM
I played a friend's copy of BG1 with Tutu. Worked very well.

But if you aren't in an immediate hurry, consider waiting until Dragon Age comes out. There is a moderate chance that sites like GoG or Steam might actually have it for sale then (especially since GoG already sells other Bioware games). Or possibly a rerelease.

Bioware (and everyone else) are trying to market Dragon Age as BG3, so there is a fair chance of some tie-in promos.

Player_Zero
2009-09-10, 12:00 PM
Rumors of Baldur's Gate III have been around ever since Baldur's Gate II came out. Unless you have a first-hand source I wouldn't put weight in them.

Dragon Age. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-jVM9fe8w)

It's not Baldur's Gate, but it looks similar and its often referred to as its spiritual successor.

Kish
2009-09-10, 01:46 PM
Ah. Well, it's not at all surprising that the Dragon Age people would want to play up any similarities. The name Baldur's Gate once meant money, back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, isometric view wasn't inherently incompatible with state-of-the-art graphics, and ancient players like me were merely very old rather than ancient.

Hardcore
2009-09-10, 03:49 PM
there are also expansion packs, created by the fan community, to download. Just google and you will find it.

I downloaded my BG and Shadows over Amn as torrents. Given how old the games is (copyright date expired ages ago), and difficulty to get from any store, I don't consider it a sin.
(I do Buy my OOTs books ofc:))

Gundato
2009-09-10, 09:01 PM
there are also expansion packs, created by the fan community, to download. Just google and you will find it.

I downloaded my BG and Shadows over Amn as torrents. Given how old the games is (copyright date expired ages ago), and difficulty to get from any store, I don't consider it a sin.
(I do Buy my OOTs books ofc:))

Uhm, the copyright has not expired, bub. Copyright lasts for the life of the author + 70 years. So even assuming every single person who counts as an "author" is dead, you still have something like 60 years to go.

Please don't actually believe the crap you see on those piracy sites. Although, if you want a larger penis, send me $900 and I will tell you the magic words to make your wang grow.

And hard to find in stores? This thread alone has proven it isn't, and just checking Amazon you can get the whole box set for 35 bucks new.
Or did you mean you couldn't find it in the local store? Well, I can't find Men of War. Should I pirate that?

Rutskarn
2009-09-10, 09:12 PM
Also, discussion of using the torrents qualifies as discussion of illegal activity, which is forbidden on these forums.

Plus: No Baldur's Gate III. They've said repeatedly that the arc is finished, and there's no real point in returning to it. If this is true, more power to them--I loved that story, but it's over.

Triaxx
2009-09-11, 05:40 AM
I'm talking the compilation, 'The Original Saga' I've got it and I get an assertion error trying to load a game. Makes it pretty much impossible to play, and since I also have a scratch on the second disk, I can't even get a full install to use TuTu, or BGT.

Matthew
2009-09-11, 07:27 AM
I'm talking the compilation, 'The Original Saga' I've got it and I get an assertion error trying to load a game. Makes it pretty much impossible to play, and since I also have a scratch on the second disk, I can't even get a full install to use TuTu, or BGT.

Is that the compilation of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast? CD or DVD version? I scratched one of the CDs in my CD version, but never had any problems with the DVD version. I still use the CD version to actually run the game.

Kish
2009-09-11, 09:37 AM
Yes, Triaxx, I think we both knew what you meant. The Original Saga works fine on Windows XP for me.

Triaxx
2009-09-11, 09:40 AM
CD version. I guess it must just be on the 64-bit version then.

Kish: I know, but I've suffered confusion before as to whether I was talking about the compilation, or the game+expansion before.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-11, 09:46 AM
Triaxx, do you have those problems with a clean installation or only with a modded game?

Triaxx
2009-09-11, 09:54 AM
Clean. I wanted to play it before adding mods, and upon discovering the error, I never got around to modding it.

Matthew
2009-09-11, 09:59 AM
Clean. I wanted to play it before adding mods, and upon discovering the error, I never got around to modding it.

Yeah, it sounds like it may well be a 64-bit problem. One of the things I keep wanting to modify in the original game are the shops. For some reason it really irritates me that some items are set on infinite and others are just plain unavailable where they surely should be for sale. :smallannoyed:

Johnny Blade
2009-09-11, 10:19 AM
Hm...can't really help you then.
Well, at least I assume that you've already tried running it in Win 98 compatibility mode.
(Of course, why you'd want to play the original BG without Tutu/BGT is beyond me anyway. :smallwink:)

Kish
2009-09-11, 10:48 AM
Always favored a minimalist approach to mods, myself. If you read what a mod does and you know you want all of it, it's worth installing. If not...Mods are like fanfic: the ability to make them doesn't require or imply writing or design talent. For a first playthrough, I wouldn't touch any--how would I have a basis for comparison then?

(And no, I don't irrationally hate mods; I made one for BG2 myself. I mean exactly what I said.)

Johnny Blade
2009-09-11, 05:57 PM
Always favored a minimalist approach to mods, myself. If you read what a mod does and you know you want all of it, it's worth installing. If not...Mods are like fanfic: the ability to make them doesn't require or imply writing or design talent. For a first playthrough, I wouldn't touch any--how would I have a basis for comparison then?

(And no, I don't irrationally hate mods; I made one for BG2 myself. I mean exactly what I said.)
Oh, despite my currently huge installation, I quite agree. I'm grinding through quite a few mods right now, and I can say that some of them won't be installed again - that's the reason why I'm doing it, just so I can settle on a list of mods for a stable installation.
But I'd never play BG1 without Tutu/BGT simply because of the low resolution and painful walking speed.

(Also, I only just now noticed that you made Oversight. Whatever compliment you'd deem appropriate, I'd probably make it. :smallwink:)

Kish
2009-09-11, 09:11 PM
Thanks. (text)

Triaxx
2009-09-13, 03:45 AM
Yeah, so I've discovered. The walking speed is easily altered by increasing the AI updates in the configuration program.