PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warbeast Animal Companion

mikej
2009-09-09, 07:54 AM
Okay, I was thinking over this after reading the "Druids, broken to the point of silly" thread. Now typically a Druid can only select a normal animal as thier anime companion ala via...

SRD
A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind

Now, the Warbeast template ( located in the MMII ) can be applied to any medium-large animal and vermin. After sometime training it ( two months ) for this purpose and a Handle Animal DC check. So is it possible for a Druid to train it's animal companion to add the Warbeast template?

I haven't seen anything against applying certain template on a Druid's existing AC except it's not plausible to gain a "Magebred" version since it's not "typical for its kind." Or if I apply the template the animal no longer is typical for it's kind and can no longer be the Druid"s AC?

I'm missing something or is this legal upon DM's aproval. Warbeast Fleshraker, Dinosaur :smallwink:

Emy
2009-09-09, 08:23 AM
Now, the Warbeast template ( located in the MMII ) can be applied to any medium-large animal and vermin. After sometime training it ( two months ) for this purpose and a Handle Animal DC check. So is it possible for a Druid to train it's animal companion to add the Warbeast template?

It's both possible and a very good idea.

Magebred isn't, since that's an inherited template (based on the animal's breeding), but training your animal to be a bit better at fighting is perfectly reasonable.

Ianuagonde
2009-09-09, 09:11 AM
Good idea! The druid in my group spend a lot of time training her boar (good RP opportunities) and now has Warbeast Boar. It made her feel good about investing in Handle Animal because really, how often can you use it? And it gave her a nice outlet for the gold she doesn't need because, well, druid. The boar's barding is just as good as the fighter's full plate. And it looks awesome :smallbiggrin:.

Averagedog
2009-09-09, 09:22 AM
wow, I wasn't even aware of this template! Sounds like an awesome idea. have you thought of an in game system of gaining the template or do you just wait for the 2 months in game?

Leon
2009-09-09, 10:08 AM
It would be up the the DM as to weather its in "game" time or out of "game" time

It s really nice template and would have to one of my favorite Non PC ones