PDA

View Full Version : Party needs a...

Tyger
2009-09-09, 09:35 AM
Party, starting at level two, has:

Human Psion (shaper)
Dwarven Fighter (heading into spiked-chain trip build)
Gnoll Ranger
Human Crusader
and maybe an elven wizard.

Would a druid, a cleric or a bard be the best fit here? The wizard, if he shows, won't be constant (he has a lot of RL commitments), the psion player knows the XPH like the back of his hand, but the Crusader has never played 3.5 before.

I was set for a bard, but then the main wizard turned into the spiked-chain tripper... I do not want to play a wizard though.

Druid would be a Ghostwise Halfling savage druid on a war-trained riding dog. Cleric would be a staple human cleric (like they need help!) and bard would likely be human as well.

Thoughts? Seems like they need more magical support than the bard can offer.

Myou
2009-09-09, 09:44 AM
I'd say cleric for healing, but then my houserules actually make that worthwhile, healing by RAW is pretty weak in combat. And not a lot of fun to play.

Maybe a druid? Some healing and a big help in melee.

woodenbandman
2009-09-09, 09:47 AM
For that party I would recommend cleric. Cloistered cleric, specifically. You can use your skillpoints to basically become the party rogue, and then I recommend you go into Shadowbane Stalker. Your party would appreciate a trapfinder, could use another scout character, and another spellcaster would also be sweet. You don't necessarily need to become a healbot, but let me tell you when you get battered in combat, out of combat healing becomes really important really fast.

EDIT: Though a bard could definitely do all those things I just said. From a purely power-wise standpoint cleric would be better, but I suggest you play what you want.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-09, 10:01 AM
I actually suggest Rogue 1/Bard 1. Be human, Nick Able Learner and be the party trapfinder. Pick up Dragonfire Inspiration and a badge of valor when you can so the ranger, fighter, shaper's astral constructs and Crusader are looking at +d6s/attack. Your party is pretty hard up for healing, but healing belts will fix that. However your party is very melee heavy, and Dragonfire Inspiration will do wonders. Sure, you're not a great spellcaster, Bard->Lyric Thaumaturge->Sublime Chord will fix that down the line, but you provide a lot of help to the whole party when **** really hits the fan.

Epinephrine
2009-09-09, 10:03 AM
I'd go with a bard. You have roughly 4 attackers, which is a lot of benefit for bardic song. A bard can use wands of healing, which covers some of the healing role, and could pick up trapfinding with a rogue level if needed? In-combat healing might be a bit weak that way; I suppose one could pick up some Combat Medic to get the ability to cast heal spontaneously, and then use Sublime Chord or something to get stronger spellcasting.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 10:47 AM
I'd go with the druid. The character sounds fun, plus Druid gets great battlefield control, making it an ok substitute archanist when needed and a healer/melee beat stick all the time.

Draz74
2009-09-09, 11:21 AM
For that party I would recommend cleric. Cloistered cleric, specifically. You can use your skillpoints to basically become the party rogue,

Seconded. Possibly a Kobold with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

I worry about your party anyway, though. A Crusader is a little bit complicated for a first-time player, but mostly my concern is with:

Party, starting at level two, has:
[snip]
Gnoll Ranger

Um. A gnoll ranger is at least Level (ECL) 4, automatically. If your DM doesn't understand the monstrous race rules, you're going to run into problems for sure.

Mando Knight
2009-09-09, 11:25 AM
Seconded. Possibly a Kobold with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

Dragonwrought, though. Always go dragonwrought if possible.

Pika...
2009-09-09, 11:29 AM
For that party I would recommend cleric. Cloistered cleric, specifically. You can use your skillpoints to basically become the party rogue, and then I recommend you go into Shadowbane Stalker. Your party would appreciate a trapfinder, could use another scout character, and another spellcaster would also be sweet. You don't necessarily need to become a healbot, but let me tell you when you get battered in combat, out of combat healing becomes really important really fast.

EDIT: Though a bard could definitely do all those things I just said. From a purely power-wise standpoint cleric would be better, but I suggest you play what you want.

Where can one find this "cloistered" whatever it be?

Pika...
2009-09-09, 11:30 AM
Dragonwrought, though. Always go dragonwrought if possible.

Well, unless you have other plans, or simply are not an optimizer. :smalltongue:

Draz74
2009-09-09, 11:32 AM
Where can one find this "cloistered" whatever it be?

Behold the Cloistered variant of the Cleric. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)

I also like to add this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), but it admittedly makes the cleric weaker, which is probably not necessary in this party.

Pika...
2009-09-09, 11:43 AM
Behold the Cloistered variant of the Cleric. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)

I also like to add this variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), but it admittedly makes the cleric weaker, which is probably not necessary in this party.

Many thanks!

vrellum
2009-09-09, 12:10 PM
I think bard is a good choice, but that's because (imo) they're a lot of fun to play. Don't think you have to sing and dance all the time (though you can, if you want), you could take perform (oratory) and give speeches/commands, for example. Also, bards deal well with people and are good at telling stories. How can you be a hero if there aren't any good stories about you? Also, you probably don't have a party face (might or might not matter depending on the campaign, but could be very important).

Want to heal? Wand of cure light wounds bought with party funds. Healing during combat is usually a waste, although heal and mass heal are sometimes good choices.

Thrawn183
2009-09-09, 12:21 PM
I'd say a White Raven focused Warblade. The more melee'rs you have, the more powerful White Raven becomes.

Mongoose87
2009-09-09, 12:34 PM
I'd say a White Raven focused Warblade. The more melee'rs you have, the more powerful White Raven becomes.

I was a White Raven Crusader in a party with about 10 melee'rs. Then I unleashed War Master's charge on the BBEG. Heheheh.

Another_Poet
2009-09-09, 12:39 PM
The above advice is all good but I notice you wanted to play a bard and seem to feel that is no longer viable. I disagree.

I would recommend playing a bard with an archery focus, you will be a major help to the party. For healing, ask if the other members would all chip in on a wand of CLW. You could carry it and use it on allies as needed. The ranger could also carry it of course.

ap

Tyger
2009-09-09, 06:40 PM
Um. A gnoll ranger is at least Level (ECL) 4, automatically. If your DM doesn't understand the monstrous race rules, you're going to run into problems for sure.

Not an issue here... the "gnoll" is a gnoll in name only, he's actually a wolfen (we're playing in the Palladium Fantasy world, using 3.5 D&D rules, so its been dramatically reflavoured and restated... I didn't bother with that, because it wasn't terribly relevant. My mistake. :smallbiggrin:

It is sounding like Bard could still be viable, which is good news to me. The more I think about it, the better it sounds actually. You've all convinced me, Bard it was and Bard it shall be!

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-09-09, 06:57 PM
I'd personally go with either cleric or druid, but not for the healing. As has already been mentioned, that job is regulated to something that costs 750GP and is easily dealt with after combat. Either way, you're a secondary attacker minimum with primary casting.

Eldariel
2009-09-09, 07:11 PM
I Xth the Cloistered Cleric taking the role of the party divine caster and Rogue. Panzerwagen too if need be, but I doubt you'll be lacking in terms of frontline flesh with a Crusader in the party.

But yeah, Magic Vestments, Greater Magic Weapons, Recitations, Convictions, Mass Lesser Vigors, Righteous Wraths of the Faithful, etc. are bound to be welcome, as are Trapfinding, social skills, wilderness skills (that you can mostly rawdog off your insane Wisdom) and Rogue-skills (that you can get through Kobold & Trickery-domains in class).