PDA

View Full Version : Lich Paragon (3.5e)

Surgo
2009-09-09, 12:24 PM
Liches are totally sweet, but I've always found their flavor powers a little restricted. Aren't there stories where a lich inhabits somebody's sword or hat and makes them go crazy? And aren't there stories where a lich has a bunch of different phylacteries scattered around, and you have to find and destroy all of them? (I remember at least one recent popular fiction series where this was a main plot point.)

So, to that end, I've tried to address what I feel is a major shortcoming in the rules for liches. As the page is already formatted nicely elsewhere and I can't figure out how to get good formatting for tables on this board, I will link to it -- the Lich Paragon (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Lich_Paragon_%283.5e_Racial_Paragon_Class%29).

katarl
2009-09-09, 03:30 PM
It's a good PrC, i like it quite a bit.

The last ability 'artefact' seems very powerful, though it's exact effects are obviously up to the dm.

The second ability duplicates an epic spell in faerun, which may be helpful for non fr liches, but not those from that world (unless they're non epic themselves).

Zaydos
2009-09-09, 03:54 PM
I really liked the class; especially the object phylactery and artifact phylactery abilities. The fact that they get to add their Charisma to hp means they don't get killed so easily making them a much better BBEG and the artifact phylactery is the perfect ability for a BBEG.
I'm not sure I'd want any lich PCs in a campaign I ran to have an artifact phylactery, or even a split phylactery, though. Then again I've never had a character actually seek out lichdom (did have a dread necromancer, but he switched to warlock, eldritch-theurge and didn't intend to turn into an evil lich anyway) so I doubt that would ever be a problem.

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-09, 04:04 PM
When you say character level in the object phylactery section, do you mean ECL or HD?

Surgo
2009-09-09, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the positive comments.

I'm not sure I'd want any lich PCs in a campaign I ran to have an artifact phylactery, or even a split phylactery, though. Then again I've never had a character actually seek out lichdom (did have a dread necromancer, but he switched to warlock, eldritch-theurge and didn't intend to turn into an evil lich anyway) so I doubt that would ever be a problem.
Well, they'd be getting Artifact Phylactery at level 18/19 and Split Phylactery at 17/18, so I'm not inclined to think of it as a big deal. The PCs ought to have found a good way to cheat death by that point.

When you say character level in the object phylactery section, do you mean ECL or HD?
Character Level always refers to HD.