PDA

View Full Version : How does Practiced [Spellcaster|Manifester] work?

Lord of Syntax
2009-09-09, 02:18 PM
Do you cast/manifest as if you were 4 levels higher then you were, or is it just a boot to your CL on existing spells? :smallconfused:

Eloel
2009-09-09, 02:18 PM
Do you cast/manifest as if you were 4 levels higher then you were, or is it just a boot to your CL on existing spells? :smallconfused:

Just a boost on your CL on existing spells.

RelentlessImp
2009-09-09, 02:21 PM
The feats add +4 to your Caster Level, up to your Character Level. It can't exceed your Character Level for any reason.

So if you have a character that is a Cleric 1/Fighter 4, Practiced Spellcaster would let them have a Caster Level of 5 for Cleric, but they'll still only be casting the spells/have the spells per day of a first level cleric.

Caster Level only affects certain things, like damage (d6/level, rounds/minutes/hours per level durations, range of spells, etc), and shouldn't be confused with your class level in a caster class.

tl;dr: You gain a +4 Caster Level to one Spellcasting/Manifesting class, not to exceed your Character Level, but don't gain bonuses as if you'd leveled in that class.

Irreverent Fool
2009-09-09, 02:22 PM
Practiced spellcaster (and manifester) adjust caster-level-based abilities on spells and powers to a maximum of your character level. This is primarily useful for multiclass characters. For example a Fighter 2/Wizard 5 would normally only have a CL of 5. With practiced spellcaster, he may raise his CL by 2. This allows any spells he casts to cast at CL 7. His fireball for example would now deal 7d6 rather than 5d6. He is still limited in spells known and all other facets of spellcasting that do not explicitly say "caster level" by his actual level in the wizard class.

This may be overly explained but I thought I'd cover all the bases.

Edit: Oh look! A ninja.

obnoxious
sig

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-09, 02:26 PM
There's some debate on whether or not Practiced Manifester grants additional power points for a high ability score or not.

I, personally, allow the bonus pp, primarily because Vancian casters get bonus scaling (whereas a manifester has to pay additional pp for his augmentations - which are paid for via the additional pp). They still don't get as many "power points" as casters do, due to the free scaling, so I think it's alright.

Also, RAW, Practiced Manifester gives a huge boost to the schism power (though I'd houserule it to give only as much boost to the schism'd mind as it does to the primary mind - ie, if the primary mind gets a +2, so does the schism).