PDA

View Full Version : Two-Weapon Fighting Feats Redone

Xefas
2009-09-09, 04:04 PM
Just some ideas I had while I should've been taking notes in class :smallwink:

It seems to me that the standard Two-Weapon Fighting feats just serve to bring you up to the level of everyone else who just copped out and got a 2-hander. I'm trying to alleviate that a little bit.

Please tell me what you think (and if you have ideas for other feats).

Dual Wielding
You are trained in using a weapon in both your main and offhand.
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You take no penalty on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons, and may wield a one-handed weapon or light weapon in your offhand with the same difficulty.

Special: A fighter may select Dual Wielding as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Dual Weapon Defense
You've practiced using your weapons for both offense and defense simultaneously.
Prerequisite: Dual Wielding
Benefit: While wielding a weapon in both your main and off-hand, you gain a +2 shield bonus to your armor class. This bonus increases by 1 for every 4 points of your base attack bonus.

You may also forgo an extra attack with your off-hand weapon. If you do so, for 1 round, you may make an additional attack of opportunity, and if you are attacked by an adjacent threatened enemy during this time, you may make an attack of opportunity against them.

Special: A fighter may select Dual Weapon Defense as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Brutal Dual Wielding
You have practiced forceful strikes with a weapon in both your main and off-hand to the point that you can focus your full strength into them.
Prerequisite: Dual Wielding, Str 13
Benefit: While wielding a weapon in both your main and off-hand, you apply your full strength modifier to damage rolls with your off-hand weapon (instead of just 1/2).

In addition, while using the Power Attack feat, your main hand deals 2 damage for every point of attack bonus subtracted from your attack rolls (instead of the normal 1:1 ratio).

Furthermore, if you have the Dual Weapon Defense feat, you may sacrifice your shield bonus granted by that feat for 1 round to attempt to rend an enemy's flesh. During that time, if you strike a single opponent with both your main and off-hand weapon, you deal an additional 1d6 damage for every 1 shield bonus that your Dual Weapon Defense feat would grant you.

Special: A fighter may select Brutal Dual Wielding as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Dexterous Dual Wielding
You practice a style of fighting with a weapon in both your main and off-hand that has very little reliance on strength, and instead emphasizes agility and grace.
Prerequisite: Dual Wielding, Dex 15
Benefit: While wielding a weapon in both your main and off-hand, you apply your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier on attack and damage rolls.

If you have the Brutal Dual Wielding feat, you apply your full dexterity modifier on damage rolls with your off-hand weapon (instead of 1/2).

If you have the Dual Weapon Defense feat, enemies do not gain a bonus on attack rolls for flanking you (though you are still considered flanked).

Special: A fighter may select Dexterous Dual Wielding as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Advanced Dual Weapon Techniques
You've been fighting with two weapons long enough to have picked up a few tricks along the way.
Prerequisites: Dual Wielding, and one of: Bluff 9 ranks, Concentration 9 ranks, or Jump 9 ranks
Benefit: While wielding a weapon in both your main and off-hand, you gain the following benefits.

If you have 9 ranks in Bluff, then you use your main hand weapon to distract your opponent and disguise the movements of your off-hand. Your opponents are always considered flat-footed against the extra attack granted by your off-hand weapon.

If you have 9 ranks in Concentration, then you focus on the exact moment to strike, opening your opponent's guard with your main hand and directing your off-hand perfectly into the gaps in your opponent's armor. The extra attack granted by your off-hand weapon is always treated as a touch attack.

If you have 9 ranks in Jump, you may choose to generate extra momentum when striking with your off-hand in an attempt to desperately impale them. Before making the attack roll for the extra attack granted by your off-hand weapon, you may choose to apply a -10 penalty to the attack roll. In exchange, if you still succeed in hitting your foe, you are considered to have struck them with a critical hit (no confirmation required). Until the beginning of your next turn, you lose your dexterity and shield bonuses to your armor class.

Special: A fighter may select Advanced Dual Weapon Techniques as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Superior Dual Wielding
Your mastery of dual wielding allows you to strike more often than would be possible for lesser individuals.
Prerequisite: Dual Wielding, Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefit: You gain an additional attack with your offhand weapon, albeit at a -5 penalty.

If your base attack bonus is +11 or higher, you also gain a third attack with your offhand weapon, but at a -10 penalty.

Special: A fighter may select Superior Dual Wielding as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Slash to Ribbons, Fill With Holes, Shatter and Break
Your perfection of the killing arts allows you to mercilessly mutilate your foes in the heat of battle, leaving them as unrecognizable piles of mangled flesh.
Prerequisite: Dual Wielding, Superior Dual Wielding, either Brutal Dual Wielding or Dexterous Dual Wielding, Base Attack Bonus +15
Benefit: While wielding a weapon in both your main and off-hand, each of your successful melee strikes also deals 1 Constitution damage. If the target does not have a Constitution score, then each of your melee strikes instead reduces their maximum hit points by 1/2 their hit dice in additional to normal damage.

Special: A fighter may select Slash to Ribbons, Fill With Holes, Shatter and Break as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Godskook
2009-09-09, 04:09 PM
The first thing most people do to 'fix' two-weapon fighting is to take all 3 or 4 additional attack feats and roll them into one. Any reason for not doing that here?

Xefas
2009-09-09, 04:21 PM
The first thing most people do to 'fix' two-weapon fighting is to take all 3 or 4 additional attack feats and roll them into one. Any reason for not doing that here?

The only ones I saw were Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, which I rolled into one Superior Dual Wielding.

Are there others that aren't in the SRD? (Like I said, I did this in class, so I didn't have my books.)

Godskook
2009-09-09, 05:01 PM
The only ones I saw were Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, which I rolled into one Superior Dual Wielding.

Are there others that aren't in the SRD? (Like I said, I did this in class, so I didn't have my books.)

I was counting Two Weapon fighting(the third), and the 'or 4' part was Perfect weapon fighting(yes, its SRD, and epic, but its a largely marginal feat for epic).

Here's the difference:

What I recall seeing:
Feat 1 - reduces penalties to -2 on all attacks, offhand gets equal attacks as mainhand(equivalent to TWF, ITWF, GTWF, and PTWF).

You did:
Dual Wielding - TWF + Superior TWF(from ToB prestige class)
Superior DW - ITWF, GTWF

See the difference? I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to provoke conversation to see your reasoning behind things.

Also, a 3 skill requirement(especially concentration, fighters and rogues don't have it) seems harsh for something I'd expect to be partially for fighters.