PDA

View Full Version : [d20, D&D 3.5 - HOUSE RULE] Charge as a standard action

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-09-09, 05:10 PM
Normally, Charge is a full round action. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/specialAttacks.html#charge)

I propose a house rule: Charge is a standard action in which most of the RAW conditions apply (must be in a straight line, must move at least 10feet, must have line of sight at the start of the charge, mustn't have any hindrance to your movement) the maximum distance is your movement rate (not double your move) you may take a movement action in the same round

In practice, I imagine this will allow for characters to step out of cover, drawing a weapon, and then charge... or to charge at a foe, cut them down and then move on beyond them in one fluid movement... or charge up to a foe, hit them and run away, taking attacks of opportunity on the way out...

Does this seem broken, unreasonable, or silly? Are there any (core or non-core) powers, spells or rules that would make this way too exploitable?

Tavar
2009-09-09, 05:16 PM
I don't think it will really change the balance too much, except that the surprise round is useful to melee characters again.

You might want to consider how it works with Pounce, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-09-09, 05:18 PM
I don't think it will really change the balance too much, except that the surprise round is useful to melee characters again.

You might want to consider how it works with Pounce, but that's the only thing I can think of.But in a surprise round, you only get to take a move or standard action, not both.... or have I missed your point?

Tavar
2009-09-09, 05:23 PM
But in a surprise round, you only get to take a move or standard action, not both.... or have I missed your point?

You kinda missed it. Generally, I find that you start surprise rounds at some distance from the enemy, thus Melee characters are unable to attack due to a lack of actions. Now, however, they can charge during the surprise round, thus both closing the distance and attacking.

Edit: Mercenary Pen said it better than me. Note, though, that this isn't a bad thing.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-09, 05:24 PM
But in a surprise round, you only get to take a move or standard action, not both.... or have I missed your point?

That's precisely his point... in a surprise round, the opponent is unlikely to be adjacent to you, and therefore the ability to close and attack in a single standard action- well I'm not a 3.5 man, but it seems to grant something that simply wasn't there before (under those circumstances).

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-09-09, 05:38 PM
You always could Charge in the surprise round - just up to your normal movement, not double your movement.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed).

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-09, 05:52 PM
My apologies, I've only put skill points into Knowledge (4e). The most experience I have with previous editions of D&D has been through neverwinter nights.

arkanis
2009-09-09, 06:09 PM
Yeah this variant is pretty much exactly what 4e presents for the charge action. It's much more satisfying. In fact, it'd be nice if more combat actions worked like 4e with the exception of the minor action which is pretty much a worthless invention when you can just declare what actions provoke AoOs or not on a case to case basis.