PDA

View Full Version : What goes well with pierogi?

Roukon
2009-09-09, 05:21 PM
A friend is making dinner for me, and if I show up empty handed, I will feel out of place. She is making pierogi and I wondered what kind of drink would go best with them. Neither she nor I are big drinkers, so alcoholic drinks are out. I was thinking of going with some kind of sparkling cider or sparkling water, but I am not a big fan of carbonated drinks either. If need be, I can drink them, I just prefer something else beforehand. So, I ask the Playground, what goes well with pierogi that qualifies for these criteria.

Thanks,
Roukon

Tirian
2009-09-09, 05:26 PM
I think that pierogi are pretty neutral, not like steak or fish or something like that where the wrong drink could clash with the taste of the entree. To me, a bottle of Martinelli's sparkling cider is never the wrong decision.

Or you could bring dessert. :smallbiggrin:

Roukon
2009-09-09, 05:34 PM
I thought about dessert, but both she and I are dieting, so I'm not sure how well that would work out. I will probably still do that, but I'm thinking sparkling cider is going to be the best option.

Roukon

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 05:46 PM
What are pierogi stuffed with? I think that this is important.

I don't really like any (unless they're small ones with mushrooms mmmm), but I think that kefir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir) goes well with it. (or at least I like to drink it no matter if alone or to something :smalltongue:)

arguskos
2009-09-09, 05:48 PM
I'd personally go with wine or a blond ale of some flavor. However, you don't drink, so that's right out.

Hmm. Water, milk, and something sparkling are all good choices, IMO.

Roukon
2009-09-09, 05:58 PM
If I remember correctly, they will be filled with mushrooms and onions. As I am vegetarian, there will be no meat in them. The kefir sounds interesting, I may have to see if I can find it to better look at it. Is is usually found in natural food stores, or do regular grocery stores have it?

Right now, it is either going to be the kefir, once I have a look at it, or some form of sparkling cider.

Roukon

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 06:13 PM
Hmmm, what mushrooms? Not that it mattersm it just actually sounds yummy. :smallsmile:

Anyway, right here more or less "natural" kefir is in every food store, but I have no idea how it is in... North Dakota, right?

Anyway, I googled it, and I only found that people drink barszcz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht) to pierogi with muscrooms, but that sounds weird, living alone the fact that it's another dish to make :smalleek:. So it's probably not help.

Player_Zero
2009-09-09, 06:14 PM
You won't find pierogi here in Nairobi.

Tirian
2009-09-09, 06:32 PM
You won't find pierogi here in Nairobi.

Really? I was under the impression that "dough pocket filled with food" was one of those things that was independently invented by every culture.

Player_Zero
2009-09-09, 06:36 PM
Really? I was under the impression that "dough pocket filled with food" was one of those things that was independently invented by every culture.

It's an old internet thing... A joke... A pun...

Just forget it.

thubby
2009-09-09, 08:04 PM
grape juice works IME

if you eat them with sour cream avoid acidic things.

LCR
2009-09-10, 08:05 AM
Traditionally, it's probably served with vodka. Since you don't drink, I don't think, you can go wrong with sparkling water or ginger ale. Or any soft drink for that matter.

Telonius
2009-09-10, 08:37 AM
Birch beer (if you can get your hands on some) or root beer work pretty well.

Narmoth
2009-09-10, 08:53 AM
Kefir won't fit to pirogi with mushrums. Tea would be the usual drink, but cranberry juice is great with it. Root beer isn't a bad suggestion either.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-10, 09:02 AM
Top choice would be blonde but good beer, preferably Czech (because I prefer it).
Second choice would probably be milk, but I am Swedish so we drink a lot of it.

potatocubed
2009-09-10, 10:35 AM
Any chance you could steal the recipe and post it on the Playground Cookbook thread? I love pierogi but I don't have a good recipe for them.

Roukon
2009-09-10, 12:18 PM
potatocubed, you're talking to microwave chef. Once she offered a home-cooked meal, I accepted and have no idea what is going to be in it other than mushrooms and onions. I can ask, but I make no promises.

As for everyone else, thanks for all the suggestions. After consideration, I am probably going to go with sparkling cider of some sort. That seems to be the prevailing opinion of what goes well with pierogi.

Roukon

rubakhin
2009-09-10, 05:44 PM
Dude, I wish you could get kefir in America. *craves*

I'd suggest you just bring some Coke or something. Ginger ale maybe would go well. Soda goes with everything and it's got all the considerate gentlemanness of bringing something like sparkling wine without being too serious of a gesture.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-10, 06:07 PM
Sparkling apple juice would go most pleasantly with the woody taste of pierogi and mushrooms, in my opinion.

Roukon
2009-09-10, 06:22 PM
Dude, I wish you could get kefir in America. *craves*

I'd suggest you just bring some Coke or something. Ginger ale maybe would go well. Soda goes with everything and it's got all the considerate gentlemanness of bringing something like sparkling wine without being too serious of a gesture.

That was pretty much my plan, and that's what I'm doing.

As for kefir, have you looked in the natural foods section of your local grocery store? I found some in mine, and that reminded me that I have tried it before.

Roukon

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-11, 02:14 AM
Of course there's always Vodka... :smalltongue:

Seriously though I think that's a good choice.

kpenguin
2009-09-11, 02:21 AM
It's an old internet thing... A joke... A pun...

Just forget it.

Care to explain? In painstaking detail?

Coidzor
2009-09-11, 02:25 AM
Watch this first. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYKKTGBDlU)

Then read this. (http://www.mariowiki.com/Nairobi)

kpenguin
2009-09-11, 02:28 AM
I said painstaking detail!

Telonius
2009-09-11, 10:46 AM
That was pretty much my plan, and that's what I'm doing.

As for kefir, have you looked in the natural foods section of your local grocery store? I found some in mine, and that reminded me that I have tried it before.

Roukon

I've seen that stuff too. It's a decent approximate of real Kefir, but isn't exactly authentic. My wife checked into it awhile ago; apparently they can't sell the real stuff since it would violate an obscure law about pasteurizing milk products.

RecklessFable
2009-09-11, 12:21 PM
Wow, my first several responses are either alcoholic (a crisp ale) or fizzy! I feel like I'm talking to a vegetarian about BBQ sauce.

I don't really think any juice beverages go well with pierogis, so I'd probably go with a nice mineral water and limes.

If I was really going to bring something to compliment the meal, I'd bring borscht, kraut or kielbasa.

Coidzor
2009-09-11, 12:40 PM
Well, MR. OP, is a movie for after dinner out of the question? :smallwink:

I said painstaking detail!

oh. I thought you meant in the way that causes you the most pain.

Roukon
2009-09-11, 01:58 PM
That is basically the plan. Dinner and then relaxing with movies or her PS3 for the rest of the night. Not in the way you mean, however, but I am not precluding the possibility.

Roukon