PDA

View Full Version : Evil teachers

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 06:25 PM
Okay, at school today we were supposed to read a chapter in our text book, I read it really fast (I'm a speed reader) and he accused me of cheating and so I had to write 500 lines in one period. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT!?! so, what punishments that you think are cruel have you been given bye a teacher

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 06:26 PM
A month without TV or computer, but that was of course when I was v. young so in very early class (7 or 8 years old) :smallamused:

Player_Zero
2009-09-09, 06:27 PM
I doubt they punished you in such a fashion because of the indisgression you mention. Most likely he objected to your manner.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 06:28 PM
A month without TV or computer, but that was of course when I was v. young so in very early class (7 or 8 years old) :smallamused:

How does a teacher ground you from TV

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 06:30 PM
Okay, at school today we were supposed to read a chapter in our text book, I read it really fast (I'm a speed reader) and he accused me of cheating and so I had to write 500 lines in one period. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT!?! so, what punishments that you think are cruel have you been given bye a teacher

I don't think I'm understanding you correctly.
what exactly did he accuse you of cheating on? or did he just think that you didn't actually read it? :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
My 9th grade English teacher, who infamously failed me for plagiarizing 3% of a paper (a single clause of a sentence from a website I'd never visited). She was a crazy racist too, every single blond white girl in that class got a C.

Crispy Dave

very carefully.

Spiryt

Well, in fact some better teachers have quite amount of power.

They know what you do. When. Then have the people to let them know.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 06:34 PM
I don't think I'm understanding you correctly.
what exactly did he accuse you of cheating on? or did he just think that you didn't actually read it? :smallconfused:

I don't know, this is how it went down
"Logan, did you read that chapter?"
"Yes"
"In that short amount of time?"
"Yes"
"Do you think I'm an idiot?"
"Yes, but I don't see what that has to do with anything
0-e "500 lines before the end of the period saying 'I will not cheat in class'"

Player_Zero
2009-09-09, 06:37 PM
"Yes"
"Yes"

You called him an idiot, stupid. Of course you got punished.

evisiron
2009-09-09, 06:37 PM
"Yes"
"Yes"

Respect for that, but I think I know where you went wrong for avoiding lines. :smallamused:
Admittedly, you did not call him an idiot exactly, but remember that honesty like that is often punished in an educational establishment. Ah, its good to be out...

Shadow of the Sun
2009-09-09, 06:38 PM
...you deserved the 500 lines just to learn some discretion.

littlequietguy
2009-09-09, 06:39 PM
Dude I have this crazy math teacher who wins the school all kind of awards but he has so many layers of intimidating personality.
Joking mood (the best mood)
Accidental Intimidation
Real Intimidation disguised as accidental
Simple Intimidation

And I have only been in his class for one day!:smalleek:

"Yes"
"Yes"
Why do I have a hard time believing that?:smallconfused::smallamused:

Flarp
2009-09-09, 06:41 PM
I'm honestly surprised he gave you lines. They're incredibly archaic, and your post proves they inspire nothing but malice between both parties, as opposed to, say, fixing the actual cheating (which may or may not have transpired).

Where exactly are you, geographically?

Raewyn
2009-09-09, 06:41 PM
Froogle: What were the lines of? Was it 'I musn't tell lies' 500 times over, or did he give you an extra assignment since you had finished the reading? Also, reading fast is perfectly fine, though if you're at all a prick to your teacher, some of them will retaliate.

EDIT: You called your teacher an idiot (indirectly). You should be thankful he confined your punishment to a single class period. Regardless of the disrespect he shows you, you shouldn't stoop to his level.

As for my story, this wasn't so much evil as a really annoying habit my 10th grade history teacher had. On nights when I had forgotten to do my worksheets, he would come around and check like clockwork. On nights that I remembered, he wouldn't. I (jokingly) told my friends that he'd bugged my house. Was verreh frustrating. :smallsigh:

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 06:42 PM
"Yes"
"Yes"

WARNING : * serious post *

Ugh, if you really said that, you can only blame yourself, and I actually wonder why he only punished you for cheatinng, not for " disrespect " or some other stuff.

Respect for that, but I think I know where you went wrong for avoiding lines. :smallamused:

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but why insulting someone, should gain you "respect"? :smallconfused:

evisiron
2009-09-09, 06:48 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but why insulting someone, should gain you "respect"? :smallconfused:

I respect those who are honest, despite the consequences.
Why ask people if they think you are an idiot if you will be appalled and vindictive by the hideous truth?

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 06:49 PM
"Yes"
"Yes"

that explains why he made you write.... :smallannoyed:

How is that cheating? It'd make more sense for him to have you write "I will not disrespect teachers" or something.

tribble
2009-09-09, 06:50 PM
I had this Art teacher in the Eighth grade, she had neither a spine nor respect for students. her class was so undisciplined that I felt unsafe in her room. (as for why, it's because I was a small,white, relatively well-behaved guy in a class full of big hispanic kids who look like they're in M13, or want to be, and the class was in a state of permanent chaos.) the class was this way because she was afraid of them too. then, after patronizing the class for half a grading period, she whined at us about how she had an ulcer that had her "coughing up blood" and expected us to feel sorry for her.

lord of kobolds
2009-09-09, 06:51 PM
Trust me, it's worse with boarding schools, because they're with you 24/7. There is one teacher in my dorm that simply didn't like my roommate and I. We did nothing wrong, we didn't have an additude, and he would always be rude to us. He wasn't a mean person to other people, only to us. We would here him across the hall joking with another student, and then he would come over to our room and belittle us. We eventually went to the dorm head and had it stopped, but that doesn't excuse anything.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 06:51 PM
Well, this happens twice a week so I knew I was getting lines when I said "Yes, but whats that got to do with anything"

AngelSword
2009-09-09, 06:53 PM
I remember back in my senior year of high school (which started 8 years ago:smalleek:) I had a Civil Law class where the teacher did nothing but show episodes of "Law & Order." It was boring, but I was able to slack off a bit since I was on the mock trial team.

Eventually, though, I grew tired of watching that show, especially since the assignment that followed was a simple summary of the episode and not something a little more relevant like, say, examples of court proceedings et al.

So one day, I decided that I had enough. Instead of watching the episode, I pulled out a book for another class and started to read it. When he approached me about it, I blew up at him, quit the mock trial team, and stormed out of class to my administrator (essentially, a vice principal assigned by last name).

From that day forward, I got a C in the class.

Fast forward 6 years. I go back to the school to shadow a teacher whose methods I actually enjoyed, and I pass the CL teacher in the halls between classes. He responded with a curt, "Hello," and immediately went about his way. It seems my little outburst affected him more deeply than I originally thought.

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 06:53 PM
Why ask people if they think you are an idiot if you will be appalled and vindictive by the hideous truth?

Teacher certainly doesn't sound like a very nice and sensible person with a questions like that, but anyway I think that calling someone idiot like that is... rude?

Although indeed he should just ask about some details of chapter, instead of asking such questions. :smallannoyed:

Eldan
2009-09-09, 06:57 PM
I had this Art teacher in the Eighth grade, she had neither a spine nor respect for students. her class was so undisciplined that I felt unsafe in her room. (as for why, it's because I was a small,white, relatively well-behaved guy in a class full of big hispanic kids who look like they're in M13, or want to be, and the class was in a state of permanent chaos.) the class was this way because she was afraid of them too. then, after patronizing the class for half a grading period, she whined at us about how she had an ulcer that had her "coughing up blood" and expected us to feel sorry for her.

You've never seen chaos unless you've seen our philosophy class in grade 17. It included, amongst other things, a student jumping down from a cupboard, wrestling style and barely missing another student, three students goosestepping around the room and chanting "*teacher* is a nazi", taking away the teachers bag while he was sitting down, blocking the door with a chair, from the outside, when the teacher tried to leave and other such niceties. I think once they proceeded to remove all the chairs in the room, through a window. (It was on ground level.)
After the third lesson, I didn't go anymore.

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 07:00 PM

So it wasn't obligatory?

tribble
2009-09-09, 07:02 PM
Teacher certainly doesn't sound like a very nice and sensible person with a questions like that, but anyway I thing that calling someone idiot like that is... rude?

Although indeed he should just ask about some details of chapter, instead of asking such questions. :smallannoyed:

sounds like the teacher dislikes you, man.

It sucks, but a good way to bury the hatchet can be to approach the other party and say, "Look, we've been butting heads a lot lately, and I don't enjoy it. What can I do to stop having these fights every other day?"
If the teacher refuses to give you advice on how to not piss him off, then he is bullying you for the sake of it and you should drop the class.

Eldan
2009-09-09, 07:04 PM
So it wasn't obligatory?

It technically was. But I figured since he couldn't control students at all, not much would happen. Also, there were no marks, we just had to go. Since there never were any consequences, I guess I was right.

evisiron
2009-09-09, 07:11 PM
Teacher certainly doesn't sound like a very nice and sensible person with a questions like that, but anyway I thing that calling someone idiot like that is... rude?

You are entitled to your opinion, thought the question mark makes it sound like you want me to comment...

I consider: "You are an idiot" to be rude. There are more constructive ways to say it if it ever truly required. Even a heavily sarcastic "Nooooo, you are a gleaming example of impressive intellect!" could be rude, as it infers the opposite to be common belief.

I do not consider "Yes" to be rude in the context of answering a question.

Trog
2009-09-09, 07:12 PM
Waaaaaaay back when I was in 6th grade I was chiseling my answers to a particularly easy English test into a stone slab when I remarked to no one in particular under my breath "wow this test is easy" and my best friend who sat nearby replied "I know".

Then during a part of the test when we were supposed to get a dictionary carved into a brontosaurus bone to finish the test, my friend got up to get one and I asked him if he could grab me one too. We were then called up by the teacher and were both instructed to throw our tests in the trash rock because we were "obviously cheating."

We protested to be sure and we even had our parents call the teacher. Eventually we were allowed to take the test again... AFTER school... sitting across the empty cave from one another... with the teacher watching our every move.

We both were done quickly and both scored 100%.
In eighth grade I had another English teacher (it was always the English teachers for some reason) who had this pet peeve about people sharpening pencils during class. She absolutely forbid it. So it was test day and I was filling out the scan-tron sheet with pencil when the lead broke and fell out as if the lead was broken within the pencil. The lead was too small to hold and the pencil was nothing but wood. I grabbed my spare pencil. Moments later that lead broke in the very same manner. I had no other pencils. I tried to pick away the wood to get some lead to stick out and tried to put the broken lead back into the pencil but neither worked out.

Not daring to talk to anyone after my lovely experience two years before I got up and sharpened my pencil when she left the room to refill her coffee mug. She was coming back as I was doing so and saw me and shouted from down the hall (and I do mean shouted) "WHO FROM MY CLASS IS SHARPENING THEIR PENCIL?!!" The classroom was actually an open area that had been only partially walled off to create four classrooms so she clearly was yelling not only into her classroom but into every other one as well.

I finished sharpening both of my pencils as she drew near, red faced and angry asking what I thought I was doing. "Both of my pencils had their leads break during the test," I said. "I have a pen but I cannot do the test in pen." She sputtered and gestured wildly, yelling "Well why didn't you just ask to borrow one from someone else?!" "Because I didn't want to be accused of cheating," I said matter-of-factly and sat down to finish my test. She sat at her desk and rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath at the whole affair as if I were an insane person.
I was a senior in High School and was in a pre-calc class. The teacher gave tests that always had three parts to it. Part one was write the formula, part two was show your work, part three was get the answer correct. He had a very stringent grading curve as well, I might add.

Well I grasped the concepts of the class fairly easily I felt and I had no difficulty doing the problems given to me. But (and this is the sort of weird thing) I could never remember the formulas. I knew how to solve the problem and I showed my work and got the right answer (and not through guessing) but I would get marked off for not having the formulas written down. As a result I was doing miserably in his class.

Then came time for a school wide exam of all Juniors and Seniors on math. Something they did every year. Out of the 600 people or so who took the exam I got 3rd highest beating even many seniors in advanced math classes.

Well the next day after they announced the results my teacher chose to both point out in class how well I did and also to berate me about how I wasn't trying hard enough in his class and was letting my talent go to waste and such since my grades were so low.

I sat through this and immediately afterwards went to the office and dropped his class mid semester. I didn't need it to graduate.

The look on his face: Priceless.

None of these teachers were evil at all... just not pleasant people to interact with. Especially in these instances of making errors in judgement, being ridiculously strict on absurd things, and not realizing when their methodology is more of an obstacle than an aid.

Zain
2009-09-09, 07:15 PM
You've never seen chaos unless you've seen our philosophy class in grade 17. It included, amongst other things, a student jumping down from a cupboard, wrestling style and barely missing another student, three students goosestepping around the room and chanting "*teacher* is a nazi", taking away the teachers bag while he was sitting down, blocking the door with a chair, from the outside, when the teacher tried to leave and other such niceties. I think once they proceeded to remove all the chairs in the room, through a window. (It was on ground level.)
:smalleek:

Wow, uhh that makes that grade 3 teacher i had how yelled at me for amost never passing a spelling test seem tame:smalleek:

Spiryt
2009-09-09, 07:15 PM
It technically was. But I figured since he couldn't control students at all, not much would happen. Also, there were no marks, we just had to go. Since there never were any consequences, I guess I was right.

Indeed....

I mean, I just had (probably weird) thought that guys to take philosophy would had minimal level.... of something? How old is level 17? I've seen similar stuff but kids were 10...

One friends class had printed and spreaded obituaries mourning death of a priest they had religion with - they said something about " crying wife and children mourning their husband and the fathe"r.

Nasty, but had style. :smalltongue:

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-09, 07:22 PM
My extended essay supervisor in year twelve made a point of turning up outside all of my classes, to ask when I was going to hand in my drafts, he started this months before the first one was due. The same guy also stalked a couple of other people, and then lost one student's essay the week before he was supposed to send them off for marking and claimed it had never been handed in.

My theory of knowledge teacher was decent right up to the end of year twelve (we knew he was a bit of a dirty old man, but that's not as bad) and then turned out to be a closet white nationalist. He gave us an article by a Sydney police officer about how Lebanese people commit crimes because they're Lebanese, then got very prickly and defensive when (surprisingly few) people pointed out that it was complete bollocks.

I ended up disliking most of my teachers towards the end of high school, some were troublesome on purpose, most of the others just couldn't keep up with everything piling on at the end of the courses.

Raewyn
2009-09-09, 07:25 PM
In 7th grade art class, I had a teacher who wouldn't believe me when I corrected her that Expresso was a brand of marker and Espresso was a type of Italian coffee (she had it the other way around, you see). Eventually I gave up, though I'd always get frustrated when she said the wrong one.

thubby
2009-09-09, 07:55 PM
believe it or not you can say "no" to teachers.

edit: i usually respond to loaded questions by calling them on it.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-09, 07:55 PM
i love how the OP fails to mention his lack of manners.. good thread

10 out of 10 on this one

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 07:57 PM
i love how the OP fails to mention his lack of manners.. good thread

10 out of 10 on this one

I answered truthfully, what was I supposed to do?

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 07:57 PM
saying "no" and lying would have saved you from writing, thats for sure. :smallannoyed:

MethosH
2009-09-09, 08:10 PM

You were suppose to be smart.
The key to success in life involves diplomacy. You just showed lack of it... Actually you showed a negative amount of diplomacy...

Let me put this way... You are a black hole sucking all diplomacy solutions down. When people are around you they get a diplomacy penalty.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-09, 08:10 PM

1. buy dictionary
2. look up the word "tact"
3. put new knowledge to future use
4. ????
5. profit

Raewyn
2009-09-09, 08:11 PM
A white lie would cause only relatively minor discord if it were uncovered, and typically offers some benefit to the hearer. White lies are often used to avoid offense, such as complimenting something one finds unattractive. In this case, the lie is told to avoid the harmful realistic implications of the truth.

Alternatively, you could have just ignored the question.

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 08:13 PM
Alternatively, you could have just ignored the question.

I second that

MethosH
2009-09-09, 08:16 PM
Actually... Are you very very very very very very very VERY rich?
If you are don't worry about diplomacy.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-09, 08:25 PM
See, on the respect thing, I have respected him all year, till he stopped respecting me. Unless we are a part of the football team, He treats us like trash

SurlySeraph
2009-09-09, 08:27 PM
I could talk about my 8th grade history teacher for quite a while, but I think one anecdote summarizes it nicely.

An essay was due on Friday. Three people in the class, including me, thought it was due Monday. She told us to turn it in on Monday, and we did.

The girl got an A. The other boy got marked down for being late. I got a 0 for being late. When I talked to the other two, I discovered this. When I asked the teacher why I got a 0, she said it was because I turned it in late. When I asked why the other two students did not also get 0s, she told me that she could give them 0s too if I wanted. I replied that I would rather get a non-zero grade on the assignment just like they did. She refused.

I ended up talking to the principal. I don't even remember whether I ended up getting a grade on the essay or not. Fortunately, the principal started keeping an eye on the teacher, and I made it out of the class with a B.

SoD
2009-09-09, 08:47 PM
Hmm. Well, for those who don't know, I'm a muso. So this is about my college music teacher, who always seemed to have something against me, from the moment she discovered she wasn't the most disorganised in the class :smallbiggrin:

One time, she calls me to the front to play something for the class. So I tell her "Well, I don't have my music today, but I can play them from memory anyway." Or I try to. After the words "don't have my music today-" she interupts, and starts yelling at me about how I need to organise myself better, and how am I expecting to pass my upcoming exams, and so on and so forth until sending the class out to practice their stuff.

I was rather annoyed at that, but just let it be. The next lesson, she asks someone else to come down and play a peice for the class. This person doesn't have their peices memorised. They inform the teacher that they forgot their music, and the class collectively holds their breath and awaits the erruption. "Oh, that's OK [student]. Just do it next lesson."

...huh?

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-09, 08:48 PM
So I was doodling in my 7th grade art class, and all of a sudden the teacher(/triathlete) just slams his fist down on my desk really hard and yells at me to stop. Needless to say, this scared the s**t out of me. It also caused the leg of the desk I was sitting at to come loose, so I spent the rest of the period trying to hold it up with my knee so it wouldn't fall over, because I was afraid he would be angry at me. Anyways, my mom found out about the whole thing and called the school, though the guy was never punished.

7th grade was a pretty bad year all around.

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 08:51 PM
One time, she calls me to the front to play something for the class. So I tell her "Well, I don't have my music today, but I can play them from memory anyway." Or I try to. After the words "don't have my music today-" she interupts, and starts yelling at me about how I need to organise myself better, and how am I expecting to pass my upcoming exams, and so on and so forth until sending the class out to practice their stuff.

I was rather annoyed at that, but just let it be. The next lesson, she asks someone else to come down and play a peice for the class. This person doesn't have their peices memorised. They inform the teacher that they forgot their music, and the class collectively holds their breath and awaits the erruption. "Oh, that's OK [student]. Just do it next lesson."

...huh?

I was in a situation like that but I was the one who ended up being that "student".... music teachers/band directors like me.....

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-09, 08:54 PM
10th grade history class. Every test was 20 1-point multiple choice questions that other teachers claimed a PhD student would have a hard time with, and an 80-point essay for which he assigned grades arbitrarily. The only person to get an A in his class was his daughter's best friend.

For my term paper in the class, he chose the topic for each student. I got the 1918 flu pandemic. After tons of research into the topic and writing what I felt was a rather good paper...I received an F. Apparently, me detailing the effects of the flu and the studies that went into understanding its causes and attempts to prevent a similar occurence...was not what he wanted. There were no marks anywhere on my paper, simply a failing grade and a note that he felt my topic was not historically significant enough. The topic HE ASSIGNED ME.

I hated that man with a passion.

RandomNPC
2009-09-09, 09:00 PM
My preschool teacher was cool, she'd start class, say goodmorning, we'd all say Hi Miss teachers name! back, and get going with the day. On my first day of first grade, teachers at the head of the class "I'm your teacher, Miss Name changed to protect the not so innocent" so we all respond "Good morning miss--" and thats where she got red in the face and started screaming at us because we were all talking without being called on. At one point my being unwilling to learn was blamed entirely on her.

my senior year history teacher. He had to change his entire teaching method because of me. every week was worth 50 points, and there was a 250 point project in each grade period. then the final, if you got atleast half the questions right on the first 50 you dodn't take the second fifty. well i took the second fifty because i didn't get half the first ones right. So i ended up not passing the final. But wait! everyone gets five percentage points for taking the test, five points for beings awake every day (didn't give myself those points) five points for not being out sick so much, and so on and so on. Well i ended up with a B- for being honnest about what points I didn't get. Then he walks by and tells me I slept to many times and I fail anyway, so I go home and tell my folks what happened, they call the school claiming to have called a lawer, he ended up passing me with 20% less than what i should have had, and now the school keeps tabs on his classes to make sure there's not some wacky huge projects or extra test points. Because of me he actually has to do his job.

Last one for now, but i've got a ton:
I was put in a tutor program because of a massive head injury when i was little, not brain damage, just skull damage that could have been bad if left unchecked. I was getting mostly Bs and a C or two. I was about to drop the tutor program for a normal study hall and it was all in the works when this lady tutor (who was about to not have to deal with me) says But he's got a head injury on file, he needs to be in the tutor program. My grades started slipping because this is where i stopped beleiving they actually cared. So I started calling her on things, like she would always ask if I had homework in a subject, but only if i was already working on something that was obviously that subject, and if i didn't have any work out she wouldn't say anything. One day, after a paticularly hafty grade drop she told me if i didn't pick up my grades she could have the state take away my after school job, because the state says school is more important. I don't know the exact words i said but because of my family name my grandpa had recently been mistaken for a retired mob boss and i thought that was funny, so I said the first thing that came to mind about leaving my job alone or i'd escalate things. She didn't speak to me for a month and after school i was promoted to full time at work.

Raewyn
2009-09-09, 09:10 PM
*hugs the Cobra*

Reminds me of a hilarious 10th grade history moment (the teacher was pretty cool, most of the time). One question on a test was "How well did Thomas Jefferson deal with the issue of impressment [American seafarers being kidnapped and forced to serve in the British navy]?" with options ranging from "He did not deal with the issue at all" to "He handled it very well." When the answer turned out to be "he did not deal with the issue at all," the class went into an uproar about how the question was "poorly written" and "a matter of opinion." It wasn't a bad question, just tricky, and there's a difference between doing a bad job and doing nothing. I guessed that one right though, so I had no complaints.

This is the same teacher that just stopped teaching when he couldn't get (just about) everyone to shut up and listen to him teach. He declared a free period and (again) mostly everyone freaked right out, because he was supposed to be doing test review.

My friend and I played Magic for the rest of the period. :smallcool:

(I know I'm not having a terrible time in these stories, but other people were, so I think they sort of apply. Plus I'd rather not dwell on the really bad stuff that happened that year.)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-09-09, 09:20 PM
Even teachers I hate seem to like me. It's annoying. I've actually sworn at my music teacher last year, did just about no work, and managed to get a hundred on my report card.

100. NOBODY gets a 100. That's A++. I'd only gotten a 99 before in Algebra, and that was because the entire course mark was based on one test, which I aced. :smallcool:

Seriously though.

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 09:30 PM
Even teachers I hate seem to like me.

same here. I've hated soo many teachers before and yet they still love me. It can come in handy at times though.

Lupy
2009-09-09, 09:50 PM
When I was in the 2nd grade I moved from a private school to a public one and I had a hard time getting along with most of the people in my class. The worst part was the teacher though... She always assumed I was lying (only me!), or trying to steal something if I borrowed it, or trying to be rude if I had a question... It was a very stressful year.

Perenelle
2009-09-09, 10:02 PM
When I was in the 2nd grade I moved from a private school to a public one and I had a hard time getting along with most of the people in my class. The worst part was the teacher though... She always assumed I was lying (only me!), or trying to steal something if I borrowed it, or trying to be rude if I had a question... It was a very stressful year.

Back in 2nd grade my teachers used to get annoyed when I asked questions. They didnt like to stop class to answer them since I was asking them every ten minutes. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2009-09-09, 10:13 PM
There were no marks anywhere on my paper, simply a failing grade and a note that he felt my topic was not historically significant enough. The topic HE ASSIGNED ME.

The topic HE ASSIGNED ME.

Cobra, you are a better person than I am. This is because you did not strangle that man.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-09, 10:16 PM
Cobra, you are a better person than I am. This is because you did not strangle that man.

Ah, see, but in order to do that, I would have had to willingly spend time with him that I was not required to. >.<

druid91
2009-09-09, 10:51 PM

Ha! I had a substitute once who was so busy talking with the few people trying to learn something he didn't notice when a few of the others fill the teachers microwave with paper and metal, we start hearing snaps and look over and it looks like the microwave might explode. it didn't because it wasn't actually that dangerous, or even broken really, just scorched. looked dangerous though.

adanedhel9
2009-09-09, 10:58 PM
I have had some bad teachers over the years, but very few unfair teachers. These are the only incidents I could think of:

Entering middle school, two bullies who went to the same elementary school as I did immediately picked me as their favorite target. It was never anything serious, usually just light shoves and name-calling and such that tends to go ignored by most teachers. One day, when they were being particularly "playful," they picked me up and shoved/threw me against the wall, giving me a nasty bump and cut on the back of my head. Just as this happened a teacher rounded the corner and gave all three of us detentions for fighting - despite the protests of myself, the score of witnesses around me, and my obviously bloodied head. My parents and I both tried appealing to the principle, but just had a zero-tolerance policy parroted at us by the assistant principle. I was in a fight, and so I got detention. Didn't matter if I wasn't actually fighting.

Senior year of high school, honors English class, we had just finished reading Ibsen's A Doll House; to conclude the unit we took a multiple-choice test concerning the play's plot. One of the questions asked about what the female lead did off-stage at a particular point, which she initially lies about but then later comes clean. The choices were thus:
The truth The lie Something ambiguous that I don't quite remember All of the above

I pick the first option, and so does 3/4 of the class. When we get the test back, we find out that "All of the above" was the expected answer. The entire class (eventually including those who chose the last option - this was an honors class after all) protests that her interpretation makes no sense - since one of the "above" was explicitly false, then "all of the above" can't be true. Eventually the teacher conceded the point (which took the better part of a period to accomplish), but refused to change anyone's scores without giving any explanation. From then on we referred to her as the teacher who gave subjective multiple choice exams.

The Extinguisher
2009-09-09, 10:58 PM
I have only ever had one teacher who I could honestly say I could not stand. She hated our entire class. She would keep us until the last possible minute for no reason, and she'd yell at us every other class.

To be fair, we were a pretty horrible class. Our discussions would get out of hand very quickly (we were pretty much trolling on every topic. Keep in mind this a biology course), and we only ever added fuel to the fire. I'm surprised she didn't snap at the end of it.

Groundhog
2009-09-09, 11:14 PM
When I was in 7th grade, I had a teacher who disliked me. I'm not exactly sure why, but my best guess is that she was one of those real traditional types and didn't like the fact that I:
1. Was a tomboy
2. Thought outside the box
3. Asked questions instead of just writing down every word she said
She kept pulling me out of class and giving me lectures about how "we do things my way." I kept refusing, and consequently I got a D in her class. She couldn't fail me, since I had technically done the work, but she wasn't about to give me a decent grade, not after I had challenged her authority to control the every thought of the entire class. (Yes, I am still mad at this lady.)

toddex
2009-09-09, 11:50 PM
My 9th grade English teacher, who infamously failed me for plagiarizing 3% of a paper (a single clause of a sentence from a website I'd never visited). She was a crazy racist too, every single blond white girl in that class got a C.

I cant say anything against this, im extremely racist toward blond white girls.

toddex
2009-09-09, 11:51 PM
God damn my rebellious and stupid spirit burned out long ago. Im an ancient 23 year old.

toddex
2009-09-09, 11:56 PM
So I was doodling in my 7th grade art class, and all of a sudden the teacher(/triathlete) just slams his fist down on my desk really hard and yells at me to stop. Needless to say, this scared the s**t out of me. It also caused the leg of the desk I was sitting at to come loose, so I spent the rest of the period trying to hold it up with my knee so it wouldn't fall over, because I was afraid he would be angry at me. Anyways, my mom found out about the whole thing and called the school, though the guy was never punished.

7th grade was a pretty bad year all around.

I had a similar experience. Let me give you some advice if any of you are in a position watching children. Never anger the mama bear. Dont do it.

I swear to god my mom had the guy up against a wall.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-09, 11:58 PM
Gah! Multipost bad! Use the edit function, you must! >.<

You know, I remember disliking lots of teachers, but nice or jerk, most of them were actually pretty fair, other than that one guy. Hmm...

Dragonrider
2009-09-10, 12:19 AM
I cant say anything against this, im extremely racist toward blond white girls.

That's...not...racism...it's an -ism, but not race. You can just say prejudiced. :smalltongue:

Raewyn
2009-09-10, 12:26 AM
Gah, so many memories from high school I thought I'd suppressed... sigh... but I'm a bit of a masochist, so enjoy.

Well, I think the absolute worst teacher I had was taking Spanish I junior year (I'd taken three years of French and was looking to branch out). She was a (insert Spanish-speaking country here)-born former judge whose primary qualification as a teacher seemed to be that she spoke the language fluently. And since Spanish is the renowned "easy language," there were a lot of brain-dead freshmen (and one junior, my age, but equally brain dead). These were people who wigged out when introduced to the notion that "OMG, verbs are conjugated!" The class was, as someone who had taking three years in a romance language (going on four), extremely easy/boring, so I wound up usually finding other things to quietly do when I was supposed to be doing Spanish homework (which I had on some occasions already finished) doing math homework which would be due next period. She took umbrage to this and at one point confiscated my math notebook. :smallmad:

The one thing she did that really cheesed me off was on a test we were going over in class. The question was (translated from Spanish):

Our basketball team is the best! It is never going to ________.

A. Close
B. Lose
C. Something obviously wrong
D. Something else that was wrong

Guess which one was the correct answer. Well according to her, it was A. I protested the severe amount of 'hat on foot' going on, and the freshmen with hats on their feet protested right back. Eventually, she conceded that both answers could be correct (which isn't true). Then more freshmen shouted out in defense of their (also wrong) answers of C and D and eventually, she wound up giving points to everybody.

Whenever she spoke to me, she always seemed to be harboring some kind of resentment towards me. My neighbor (a freshman who was actually a cool person) said (verbatim): "She probably hates you because you're smarter than her." Which made me feel very :smallcool:.

I hated that class and probably should have put forth far less effort than I did (I didn't really stop not caring until the end of the year).

Mystic Muse
2009-09-10, 12:34 AM
I can honestly say that I don't remember ever having a lousy teacher.

of course that may be due to the fact that my mom has been my teacher for the last eight years.:smallbiggrin: it looks like my decision of avoiding public school like the plague is a good one. (yes I'm homeschooled and it's working great.)

since I figure I should make an actual contribution to this thread my sister had this one teacher who looked like a combo of the doll thing and the badguy from Saw (according to her.). a Coach who was a moron and currently has this one teacher in college. She knows more than the teacher.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-10, 02:08 AM
The "Yes" thing got you in deeper trouble.

The man is an idiot, obviously. Especially since he fails to acknowledge a skilled reader (there are too few of them these days).
You should just have clenched your teeth and been polite.

I also agree that the whole lines thing is so outdated it's not even funny. Admittedly I do not have any experiences with American schools, but I can't believe that is still in practice.

My own experiences have been pretty good; I haven't had a single total moron as teacher. Some was bad as teachers, but good as persons (one in 10 grade was so awful at explaining stuff that the class actually walked as one to the headmaster's office and demanded a new teacher for the subject. It took a week, and then we got a new teacher. I felt sorry for the guy though (the first one) since he was really a cool guy), others were annoying (a swedish teacher* we had was also a straw feminist, and spent a lot of time blaming the young men in class for being men, basically. She finally shut up one day when the only two girls in class started talking back to her defending the rest of us).

*Just to point it out: A teacher in swedish, not a teacher from Sweden (they all were, since I am a swede in Sweden...)

dish
2009-09-10, 02:35 AM
Today is Teacher's Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teacher%27s_day) in China and Hong Kong. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

As a teacher myself, of course I have met colleagues who should NOT be in the profession. Just want to shake them and scream in their faces, "Get out, get out now!" However, the vast majority of teachers chose to do this job because they enjoy working with people, they relate well to kids/teens/young adults, they want to give something back to the community, etc. Sadly, though, even the most well-intentioned teacher is still human and mistakes can happen, irrational hatreds can develop, and hard-earned patience can be lost.

As for chaotic classrooms...well I have been there, but on the other side of the teacher's desk. Maybe not quite so chaotic, anybody goose-stepping or jumping off furniture in my classroom would have found themself outside the head's office very quickly. But I've had 15 year olds come in to the classroom while high (there was a boy who came in, bounced off the back wall, bounded off the side wall, and bounced off the opposite wall, so I opened the door and bounced him straight into the head of department's room), and the Scottish Under-13 skateboarding champion did throw his chair at one of his classmates once (that was an exciting lesson). Actually, the Scottish under-13 skateboarding champion was quite a kinesthetic learner - not really one for sitting still and shutting up - he did love trying to knock his chair and desk over so he could sprawl on the floor whenever possible, and if he managed to take out a few of his neighbours as well, that was considered a win.

What can I say? According to one of my education lecturers, every newly qualified teacher is going to suffer some classes which descend into chaos. The reality is, there are always going to be classes of students who have more experience in creating chaos than the teacher has in imposing discipline. With any luck, everybody can just survive until the end of term and then move on to other teachers/students with some lessons learnt. (In my second year of teaching, there was much more order.) I do feel sorry for the students who want to learn in that situation, though.

Oh, and Froogleboy? Try thinking of it this way:
School can be considered part of your preparation for life. In adult life, you will meet people in authority whom you believe to be idiots - bosses, managers, bank managers, police officers, local government officials, all sorts - in order to navigate safely through your days, you will have to learn how to be tactful towards them. Maybe your teacher was trying to help you learn an important life lesson.

AngelSword
2009-09-10, 02:52 AM
it looks like my decision of avoiding public school like the plague is a good one. (yes I'm homeschooled and it's working great)

Anecdotal evidence does not make data.

Eldan
2009-09-10, 03:19 AM
Indeed....

I mean, I just had (probably weird) thought that guys to take philosophy would had minimal level.... of something? How old is level 17? I've seen similar stuff but kids were 10...

One friends class had printed and spreaded obituaries mourning death of a priest they had religion with - they said something about " crying wife and children mourning their husband and the fathe"r.

Nasty, but had style. :smalltongue:

Hmm. About 18-19 years old. At a school were only people with the best marks go anyway. But as I said, we were required to go.

I've had only two really incompetent teachers, this one and our music teacher:

During a test:
Student: "If we write more than one answer to question X, and one of them is correct, does that count?"

Teacher, after thinking for a minute or so: "...Yes?"

THe only evil teacher I had, though, was our economy teacher. Well, without getting into politics to much, he had some rather... extreme political ideas.

Exam question:
"Explain why privatizing prisons and health care would be the correct thing to do for all countries and why the state should not get involved into this and *several other things*"

He then proceeded to give an average mark of "unsatisfactory" to the entire class. A discussion in class would consist of him stating his opinion, asking one or two students what they thought was correct and then yelling at them for being wrong.
Of course, it only became really funny when our class-leftie proceeded to get himself a mowhawk (which looked interesting, given that he naturally had hair the colour of a carrot), started wearing T-shirts with punk slogans and left copies of books by Bakunin on his table "by accident".

On the other hand, every other teacher I had was cool. Which, for 13 years of school doesn't sound too bad.

KuReshtin
2009-09-10, 04:57 AM
Only really bad teacher I had was for my health classes in High school. She was an old nurse who'd started teaching, and you could tell from her demeanor that she was still stuck in the mind-set that nursing was a job that men should not be doing, so she treated all of the boys in my class with more or less hidden contempt.

She failed me on one test for choosing the correct answers from the wrong text book. The question was something like what to do after a patient had had an epileptic seizure.
You were to list three things to do/look for/monitor, and I listed five or six. Out of three possible points on that question, I got 0. Even when I tried to argue my point by showing her the exact list I'd writtendown as my answer that was taken from another of our mandatory text boks for the course, she refused to give me any points, because the only answers she accepted were the ones from the book she had used when making the test.

She's also the teacher who signed my end-of-year grade incorrectly. Instead of writing her last name in her signature, she wrote something completely different. She must have been distracted. Her name was Tidlund, and she wrote Tidigare (English translation 'Earlier') instead.

It was very weird.

I've also made a few teachers throw their hands up in the air when they figured out that I'd made a valid point of proving why a question had been incorrectly stated for me to provide a proper answer.

Example:
On a maths test, the question was something like "A marathon race is about 41km. Ted finishes the race in 2 hours 42 minutes. What was his average speed during the race?"
I pointed out to the teacher that the question could not be answered correctly as stated as it said that the race was 'about' 41km which doesn't allow a proper average speed to be calculated. I then told him that the correct question would be to state that the marathon race is 42 km 195 m as that is the distance used for marathons.
After rolling his eyes a bit, he then told me to calculate the average speed of both the original question's distance and the actual distance of the race.

Which I did.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-10, 05:36 AM
Back in 6th grade I had a teacher who broke a yardstick over one of my classmates. Does that count?

horngeek
2009-09-10, 06:03 AM
Well.

I haven't had any Evil teachers, per se.

My teacher in Kindergarten class apparently kept on busting me for stuff, but my 1st year teacher picked up on the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD.

At the moment...

:smallsigh: The problem isn't the teachers, at my high school. My year seems to be comprised of idiots.

Player_Zero
2009-09-10, 06:10 AM
Hmm... My german teacher for GCSEs confiscated my playing cards because I was playing with them instead of listening to her.

Mostly I was the one who annoyed my teachers.

I don't remember once doing my homework, for instance.

potatocubed
2009-09-10, 06:24 AM
Way back when the internet was shiny and new and many people still hand-wrote their essays, my brother's RE teacher failed him on a homework task because he typed it up in Word and so "obviously" had just copied it from the internet. I bet he regretted that when our mother descended on him full of righteous indignation.

I've never had an evil teacher, although I've had a couple who were wholly ineffective and one who was unthinkably stupid. She tried to tell us that doubling income and doubling expenses does not double profit, wrote out "2 - 1 = 1" and "4 - 2 = 2" on the board, then pointed at it and went "See?". We literally had to teach ourselves the curriculum because she was teaching "in her own way". She allowed us to bring work in from home to load onto the school PCs, provided we swiped our discs through a 'virus checker' which was just a powerful magnet. I could go on...

KuReshtin
2009-09-10, 06:28 AM
Hmm... My german teacher for GCSEs confiscated my playing cards because I was playing with them instead of listening to her.

Mostly I was the one who annoyed my teachers.

I don't remember once doing my homework, for instance.

I annoyed my English teacher when I took the classes for my Cambridge Certificate in English as a Foreign Language after I'd lived in the UK for about 2 years.

First proper class, we were supposed to do the whole introduction round, telling people your name, what you did for a living (these were evening classes) and why you had decided to take the classes.

Everyone else in the class that went before me used the cliché about taking the classes to learn English and to improve their language skills.

When it got to my turn, I shocked my teacher by introducing myself and then claiming that the only reason I took the classes was so I could get the certificate to show that I knew how to handle the English language.

She didn't like that answer a whole lot as she thought it was too cocky as if I thought I'd just saunter through the classes and ace the test without any difficulty.
Of course, in the end, that's just what I did.

Phaedra
2009-09-10, 06:33 AM
In a somewhat similar situation to the OP, my history teacher when I was 11 once made me write 100 words on "Why I Must Not Finish My Work Too Fast" after I finished an assignment about 20 mins before everyone else. I'd like to point out that I hadn't called him an idiot either, he scared the **** out of me. I just did the 100 words in fear.

He hated me though, I never really knew why. He used to stop and glare at me in corridors (other people aside from me noticed this). I was unlucky enough to get him again for GCSE history and over the two years I was yelled at and thrown out of the class for, among other things, checking my watch and eating a mint.

The fact that I wanted to study A Level History but couldn't cope with him was one of the major reasons I left my school to go to a 6th Form College. I hated him and was genuinely terrified of him.

Player_Zero
2009-09-10, 06:58 AM
See, my teachers mostly didn't have a problem with me finishing all their work too quickly. My maths teacher for A levels let me go when I'd done all the excerises and listened to him talk about the insanely obvious for 10 minutes. Giving me a 40 minute gap to play on my DS.

And my physics teacher let me build card towers and piss around doing nothing all lesson because she knew I would get an A* anyway. We had tea during lessons with her for A levels while we discussed random crap.

Oh how I miss those days of yore, when all the work was easy and I could just play games.

I guess I had fairly nice teachers. Not necessarily good ones, but they were fairly amiable at any rate.

pendell
2009-09-10, 06:59 AM
Admittedly, you did not call him an idiot exactly, but remember that honesty like that is often punished in an educational establishment. Ah, its good to be out...

Honesty needs to be seasoned with tact. "Yes, I think you are an idiot" is never the right answer. For one thing, the answer implies "Yes, I DO think you're such an idiot to believe my story." ... in other words, that you're lying. For another thing, it's a rude answer.

I like Tolkien's dictum to 'tell no lies, and of the truth all I can'.

My answer would have been "I did indeed read the material in that short amount of time. I am a speed reader. If you wish, I'll be glad to prove it at your convenience."

Then, after class, presumably he (or she) will give you the chance to prove it. You do so. You build rapport with the teacher rather than antagonism.

The correct answer to the question "Do you think I'm an idiot" is to refuse to answer. The answer 'no' in this case is a lie and the answer 'yes' certainly will not serve. An indirect non-answer, such as "You are my TEACHER" clearly indicates that you recognize and respect their authority but aren't going to get drawn into a discussion of their mental facilities. Or perhaps a little bit of indignation along the lines of 'I believe you're implying that I'm a liar, and I don't appreciate that. I am telling you the truth. I read the material in that amount of time.'

A teacher should know better than to ask a question they don't really want an answer to. But students, need to understand about rhetorical questions and have some idea as to how to parry them without offending the questioner.

The truth is ... speaking as a former substitute teacher ... that we teachers get lied to by students a lot. So the natural first assumption when we encounter a student finishing beforehand is that they've cheated. It's amazing how many students think they are so smart and clever that they can pull a fast one on us. They forget we were all students once ourselves.

No, it isn't fair. But this isn't a courtroom. If you want good relations with the teacher, the burden of proof is on *you* to demonstrate that you're not cheating, and the best way to do that is to demonstrate your skills in a controlled setting.

He hated me though, I never really knew why. He used to stop and glare at me in corridors (other people aside from me noticed this). I was unlucky enough to get him again for GCSE history and over the two years I was yelled at and thrown out of the class for, among other things, checking my watch and eating a mint.

Genius-level intelligence can be frightening to teachers as well as to other students. Speaking, again, as a one time sub teacher, I do know that there are times students are smarter than the teacher. That makes teachers feel threatened, and sometimes they react as threatened animals do. The trick I found is to find ways to soothe them .. make it plain you're not trying to make their job more difficult, show them some empathy, let them be the people in charge which their job requires them to be, and a lot of times they come around.

Above all, if you must humiliate them, do it in private, NEVER in front of the whole class. Make a teacher look bad, you'll suffer for it even if you're technically in the right.

Part of being a teacher is projecting the illusion that you know more than the people you're teaching, and sometimes it's true. Having a genius in the classroom makes it harder to maintain the illusion, because the teacher knows they can be successfully challenged. That can cause them to react to genius as if it were a threat. Again, the answer is to make it plain that you're not a threat ... that you're part of the solution , which is to assist the teacher in doing his/her dual job of maintaining control of the class and delivering information, rather than part of the problem.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jack Squat
2009-09-10, 07:33 AM
For the first part of my education, I went to a Catholic school. It was a given that most of the teachers were unreasonably strict. A couple excerpts (not all evil).

In 2nd grade, we're being taught math. Now, I've always been a a bit academically inclined. I taught myself to read before Kindergarden and ever since I had enjoyed non-fiction, and would often try to figure out why something happens. In the class, we were learning subtraction. My teacher mentioned that you couldn't put the larger number on bottom. I asked why not, and she said it's impossible. I asked why, and she said there's no numbers below 0. I dismissed my questioning of if you subtract 5 from 2 what you'd do with the other 3.

2 years later, I found out my teacher was lying to me. Probably for the best, since most of the other class would have been lost; but to this day I still think "it's impossible" is a pretty poor excuse.

In 3rd grade, our class got in trouble for remaining silent during the practice (?) for our weekly mass. See, we were supposed to sing the hymns, even though normally everyone mumbles along at best, and IIRC a good portion of the class was minorly sick (stuffed nose, sore throat). To teach us a lesson, the teacher had us write a 3 page essay on why our grandparents were important to us. Now, knowing what would happen, I had the first and about half of the last page of that, and the rest was meaningless filler such as a short review of the recent football game.

We turn it in the day after it was assigned, and without looking at them, the teacher quite visibly tossed them all in the trash. I learned a valuable lesson that day; essays are meaningless.

Also in 3rd grade, I went on a vacation for a week to the Seattle/Tacoma area to visit my grandparents. Deciding to be nice, our parents had us inform our teacher of this. She gave us enough work that we barely did anything else that week. When we come back "Oh, we didn't do half of this, just hold onto it and I'll collect it later." She never did.

In 4th grade, I got detention for the first time. Why you may ask? Well, it was because I was told that I didn't turn in an assignment. I contested, and the teacher said I'm obviously wrong and that if I didn't turn it in the next day I'd get detention (2 yellow-slips == detention there). Well, since she had it, I couldn't turn it in. Next day when I couldn't present it, she gave me detention, where I spent most of the time cleaning the class.

The next day, the teacher calls me up to say that she found my paper. No "I'll remove the detention from your record", no "Sorry about that", not even a "My bad".

In 5th grade, I had a teacher who refused to let us use calculators in math because it'd "turn our brains to mush." I'm not saying she was outright wrong, but working out one division problem on a page and a half of paper didn't really make me more able to do it in my head either.

In 7th grade, I got detention again. This wasn't the only other time, but it's one that quite easily wasn't deserved. This was a "new" teacher here. She was in her 60s, and came in to school every morning at 4:30 (school started @ 7:30) and brewed a pot of coffee. She then reheated the pot in a microwave throughout the day. Because of this, her room reeked of stale coffee by the time I got there. This isn't important at all, but I thought I'd paint a picture.

Anyways, she had a different system for detentions than the rest of the school, she gave you 5 strikes. The were for various things, including talking after she rung a bell to start class.
It's mostly irrelevant how I got the first 3 strikes, but it was probably a combination of her stupidity and my resistance to authority that was founded by the school by now, as well as me not always remembering to do my homework.

To get the 5th strike, I said two sentences to my buddy next to me before class. She rang the bell, and our conversation halted. She then walks over and accuses me of talking during class. I object saying I hadn't said anything after she rung the bell (my friend smartly stayed silent, with the intent of complaining about her later). She then gave me two strikes for talking during class (and presumably questioning authority, but she never said that). By this time, I had gotten pretty good at cleaning rooms, so the only thing that bugged me was the coffee smell that I had to endure longer.

EDIT: Wow, sorry about the wall of text there. Glad I didn't move on to 8th grade - college :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2009-09-10, 11:35 PM
In 5th grade, I had a teacher who refused to let us use calculators in math because it'd "turn our brains to mush." I'm not saying she was outright wrong, but working out one division problem on a page and a half of paper didn't really make me more able to do it in my head either.

ARGH! FLASHBACKS TO MY 10TH, 11TH, AND 12TH GRADE MATH TEACHERS! The 11th grade one in particular. She never let us use calculators except to look at graphs, even though the rest of the classes were allowed to. On the final exam (which was given to the entire grade) everyone was allowed to use calculators, though she protested and tried to prevent it fro our class. And she was just astonished that I did so much better on the final than on everything else that year! And needed so much less time, too!
I didn't have the heart to tell her that she should have let me use my damn calculator in the first place.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-09-11, 01:16 AM
1. buy dictionary
2. look up the word "tact"
4. ????
5. profit

1. buy dictionary
2. look up the word "hypocrisy"
4. ????
5. profit

Raz_Fox
2009-09-11, 08:24 AM
I can honestly say that I don't remember ever having a lousy teacher.

of course that may be due to the fact that my mom has been my teacher for the last eight years.:smallbiggrin: it looks like my decision of avoiding public school like the plague is a good one. (yes I'm homeschooled and it's working great.)

Everything he said. Yeeeeeeeesssss.

*High five*

Lorn
2009-09-11, 09:20 AM
I have a lot of stories here...

First one that comes to mind. Was doing Duke of Edinburgh award through 6th form, teacher running it didn't seem to like me or one of my friends who was also doing it.

So. We have a practice walk. Prior to this, I'd gone out, grabbed a decent pair of boots (on sale, but still) and so on. The important thing is, I'd spent time in doing most of the DoE stuff and money on various items I'd need in the process of doing it.

Practice walk goes well. 13.5km (might have been miles though, not sure) uphill in a blizzard. I take it as it comes, actively helping other people along if needed, standard "it's only fatigue" attitude I bring to everything. Hell, the teacher even fell in a river and I helped him out.

Eventually, he's said something about another practice walk in a meeting I hadn't been able to attend, and had said that I wouldn't be able to attend some time ago. I email him, asking him about this. No reply. See him in the corridor. "Oh, yeah, I'll reply to your email" and then he vanishes. Still no reply. Email him again three weeks later. No reply. What a surprise.

Thursday assembly, given a letter, along with all the other DoE people. Told there's a walk on - an overnight walk - that weekend. Ok. Cool. There's absolutely no way I can make it, because it was about 24 hours notice and my dad was taking most of our equipment with him on a walk he'd organised several weeks prior.

Inform the teacher of this. He says, basically, "Ok, cool, don't worry about it."

The next week, someone from the group comes up to me and asks if I'm still doing it. Yes...

Apparently, the teacher had decided, the MORNING OF THE WALK, that seeing as I wasn't there I couldn't continue at all with the DoE stuff.

Two weeks later, I see him in the corridor. He stops me, looking really pissed, and says "you're off DoE." I ask why. "You missed the last walk. The others have learnt loads of stuff that you haven't, there's no way you could catch up. Why weren't you there?" I explain that 24 hours notice is impossible, especially with all of our stuff being elsewhere. He proceeds to blame me for unexpectedly missing the meeting - I'll repeat, I'd mentioned this several weeks prior - so I point out, actually, I did email him. Twice. And he said he'd reply. Which he didn't.

He then proceeds to claim this never happened, say he's kicked me AND my partner off the thing.

(Worth noting: partner had not been able to make the walk either. Different reasons.)

(Also worth noting - all these things he'd claimed that the others had learnt, I'd been capable of doing for years, and I explained this. He essentially proceeded to call me a liar.)

So basically, I spend time and money doing stuff. I actively put myself out to help people doing the same thing. We would have had serious issues on the first walk if I hadn't been there to help in some places. I even help the guy out of a river. He responds with, from what I could tell, trying as hard as he could to get me off the thing.

Gr.

And then there's the IT teacher.

Where do I begin? From making one of my friends redo his entire six month project in the space of two weeks, to marking people down because of lack of what she deemed to be aesthetic appeal - noting, she gave someone who'd done bright blue and bright red together loads of marks for design, even though nobody in the class could look at his system for more than five minutes without their eyes going weird - to blatant favouritism. As in, "you people I like, come over here and talk all lesson, I'll give you really good marks and actually do half your project for you. People I don't like, sit in absolute silence at the computers. Do not speak. Sit one space apart so you can't communicate in any way, shape or form. For two hours. In this overheated room, because putting black blinds on a room facing the sun that's full of computers is great." And then pretending the mandatory reading that I and a lot of other people had searched for three weeks to find the book for didn't exist - despite proof otherwise.

She even had a go at me for not assigning macros to action buttons when I was working out what the system would look like prior to even doing the designs to it.

Oh, and the new headteacher has decided that starting the day at 8:30AM is a Good Idea. Bear in mind - it's a 6th form joined onto a secondary school. 11 year olds have to get up at six in the morning to get in now, unless they live in the city centre. What caused this? A revelation from looking at the road that showed that the road outside the school is less busy both before and after the rush hour.

Very thankful I'm out of that place...

Keshay
2009-09-11, 09:33 AM
Second grade, Catholic School. Sometime after about 3 months of class, the nun has my parents come in for a parent-teacher conference for what she characterized as "long-standing disrespect and refusal to participate in class". Apparently she'd been calling on me frequently, but I would not respond. I could not recall this happening, or that I'd ever been called on in class. Fortunately my parents were willing to believe me, so they asked Sr. Georgina to role-paly a situation in calss where she would call on me. She proceded to go to the front of the room, wrote a math problem on the board and said, "Jimmy, would you please solve this problem?"

My name is Eric. My middle name is not James, my communion/confirmation name is not James. The first 3 letters of my last name are J-I-M, but that's hardly a reason to assume an 8 year old would respond to an invented nickname no one else ever used.

Needless to say, the issue was resolved once the nun started calling me by my real name.

In hindsight I do recall being confused and wondering why this "Jimmy" never did what the Sister asked, but I honestly had no idea she was talking to me.

Eighth grade. Home Ec (a useless class if ever there was one. Perhaps not for children who are neglected or orphans or whatever, but totally useless for kids with actual parents who teach thier kids how to take care of themselves.) This was the period immediately after lunch. As I entered the classroom, before the bell I threw out a piece of gum I had been chewing. The hag teacher gave me 100 lines of "I will not chew gum in class". Since I had not been chewing gum in class, and had appropriately discarded the gum before the start of class, I refused. I was forbidden from participating in class activities until I produced the lines, during class time. I sat down, and did all my other classwork. End of the period, hag asked for the lines. I explained I had not done them since it was an unjust punishment. 100 more lines, to be done next class.

This was a twice-a-week class, so over the next 2 months I accrued about 2000 lines for this imagined misbehavior. I was content to use the time as a study hall. When the issue was finally escalated to the vice principle, he laughed her out of the office and reprimanded her for such an archaic and inappropriate attempt at punishing a false misbehavoir.

In hindsight, I may not have kept my opinions of Home Ec as secret form that particular teacher, so it may have been less about the gum and more a pitiable attempt at a power play.

Castaras
2009-09-11, 10:52 AM
I've always had teachers like me. Quite annoying at times.

Worst that I've seen happen though was at primary school. We were in a mobile classroom. We had a new sub teacher, because our old teacher had left without warning. Within 3 days, she was kicked out of our primary school. Why?

- Pushing a girl down the mobile class staircase
- Swearing at one of the boys
- One of the boys was found crying in her closet.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-11, 12:20 PM
I've always had teachers like me. Quite annoying at times.

Worst that I've seen happen though was at primary school. We were in a mobile classroom. We had a new sub teacher, because our old teacher had left without warning. Within 3 days, she was kicked out of our primary school. Why?

- Pushing a girl down the mobile class staircase
- Swearing at one of the boys
- One of the boys was found crying in her closet.

...and by "kicked out", I hope you mean "arrested and unable to return to teaching ever again". O_o

Etcetera
2009-09-11, 01:17 PM
We had a biology teacher who left after a half term (7 or so weeks) by mutual agreement. It wasn't that he was particularly malicious or anything, it just that there was less discipline in his classes than there would be if no-one was teaching the class at all(Which happened to us once. In a Chemistry lab. With bottled acid and stuff.)

And then there's a cover teacher at our school who is famous for both his incompetence and the fact he still hasn't been fired...

RandomNPC
2009-09-11, 07:31 PM
ok, more to the list.

We had a teacher bleach his eyebrows when goku went super in dragon ball z because most of the student body beached thier heads but not eyebrows. But he was a cool teacher, not an evil one.

I had a teacher flee the room and have the office turn on the intercom to the room and pretend it was a school wide page to the vice principal to get to the room to calm down an unruly student, leaving that student with the rest of us. Teacher was a big guy too, coulda handled him and I would have stood up for the teachers actions in taking down the student, ya know, before ditching the class with a violent rage filled teen.

I had a number of different religous symbols on one of my binders, I happen to like religous history and mythology, and at the end of class a teacher pulled me out of class and talked 15 minuets into the next class about how he was worried about my soul and everything. Pretty much everything that goes against the seperation of church and state and my right to not have to listen to it if i don't want to? yea a good 20 minuets total he could have lost his job for if i felt like pressing the issue.

Another one from the tutor that didn't speak to me for a month, before the event that made her not talk to me for a month. When I was having problems with a guy trying to bully my friends and I we took the route teachers tell you to, specificly I asked this tutor for help. Explaining that before classes all my friends gathered and hung out, and we were suddenly being bullied. Not wanting to fight, i brought it to her attention. Her advice was instead of asking for help that i run from the situation. This was met with much apparently unexplainable resistance from me, and she eventually walked away from me confused as to why i'd stand up for myself.

littlequietguy
2009-09-11, 07:54 PM
Dude I have this crazy math teacher who wins the school all kind of awards but he has so many layers of intimidating personality.
Joking mood (the best mood)
Accidental Intimidation
Real Intimidation disguised as accidental
Simple Intimidation

And I have only been in his class for one day!:smalleek:

Why do I have a hard time believing that?:smallconfused::smallamused:

On second thoguht that class is actually pretty cool.

Eon
2009-09-11, 07:57 PM
Wow... some of these stories are insane.

Well, i had this one teacher mr. soandso and he changed how much something was worth pointwise alot. and some of his percentages were wierd. I had a poster project were i drew something and got a C or something because i'm not the best artist. in social studies. So a week later we have a chapter test and the chapter was about the great depression and i payed pretty good attention in class so i figured i would raise my grade from a C thanks to the poster to a B because it was almost the end if the quarter. Turns out that small little poster was worth more than the TEST!!!! So even though a got a perfect on the chapter test i got a C for that quarter. and he didn't tell us that poster was that much of our grade. And the next quarter i got a D and my parents had learned about that so they didn't care.

I usually only get Bs and As but then i had a D lowering my average to below the A honor roll...:smallfurious:

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-11, 08:13 PM
Oh, oh. I completely forgot.

I had a teacher I had a teacher in highschool who broke one of his students arms. I wasn't in class at the time but I had had his class the previous semester.

He kicked a student out of his class for being disruptive. The student didn't want to leave the class, but the teacher pushed him out the door. The student left his books in the class and tried to get back in. The teacher was closing the door when the teacher was trying to close it. The teacher than began to repeatedly slam the door on the students arm.

He was slated to retire the next year. He retired a year early.

Zolkabro
2009-09-12, 09:21 AM
Even teachers I hate seem to like me. It's annoying.

That happens to me too. I've got really high grades in all my exams, therefore my teachers love me. My old science teacher, in Year 7, was unfair to almost everyone. He was the most unpopular teacher in the entire school. But because I could answer almost every question, he was nice to me, never gave me a detention (even though I was notorious for lack of homework), and gave me a star almost every lesson. (That school had a star system, with prizes if you get enough stars).
While that was useful at times, it was really annoying as well because it got me teased loads, I was called *insert teachers name here*'s pet all the time, and nearly every person who had been given an unfair detention from him, (which was a lot of people), was really bitter towards me.

I also had a nursery teacher who was wonderful, really kind and understanding. However the assistant teacher was horrible. We were 3,4, and 5 years old, and yet she would yell and scream at us whenever the teacher wasn't there. If she ever became a full teacher since I left, I feel sorry for the children.

I've never forgiven my Year 5 Maths teacher for giving me detention and 100 lines for sneezing.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-12, 12:09 PM
Everything he said. Yeeeeeeeesssss.

*High five*

*high five*:smallbiggrin:

Helanna
2009-09-12, 12:38 PM
My school is pretty good with teachers, so I don't have many horror stories. The worst teacher I've ever had is my 5th grade math teacher. It's been said that even seniors straighten up when they hear the distinctive sound of her heels clicking on the floor. She's well-known for reducing kids to tears. My worst memory is when she made us do about 100 math problems for homework, and then never graded it (which isn't terrible, but it is lazy and a huge waste of the student's time). Or maybe the time when she yelled at me for not having part of my homework done, because I (lacking my glasses) had copied down the homework wrong (I think I left off maybe 5 problems at the end. Hardly a huge deal.) It's not too awful compared to the other stories here, but kids certainly fear her class.

My sister, on the other hand, does have some bad stories. Mostly, she creates the problems, but occasionally she has a genuine point. For example, one time for her Global Studies class she had to make a timeline. All the other groups just made it out of paper with a few powerpoints thrown in, but my sister made an actual movie out of it. She worked entirely on her own because her (teacher-picked) group was lazy and stupid and wouldn't help at all, and she worked for *hours* on it. I know, because I watched her. Then it turned out that her copy of the program she used was more advanced than the school's copy, so it wouldn't work. The teacher gave her a 0 on it initially, but eventually ended up accepting it at a reduced grade when my mom brought in her laptop to show it to him. My sister (and my mom) were absolutely furious.

Miss Nobody
2009-09-12, 01:00 PM
Geek666's crazy math teacher sounds a lot like my crazy math teacher.

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-12, 01:46 PM
I remember before I got my glasses. It's not necisarily evil, but a couple seconds after I told my language teacher I had trouble seeing, I was assigned the seat in the very back of the room. It wasn't even a desk, it was an old table with years of writeing on it. My grades fell 10 or so points.

Rockbird
2009-09-12, 02:18 PM
We had a... what'd the term be... Teacher-in-training? Teach our history class. He was, for lack of a better word, terrible. He wasn't evil, just exceedingly bad at his job. He spoke the language poorly, so we had constant problems understanding him. His lessons were disjointed and unfocused, so you never had any real idea what he was talking about, and he never specified if the thing he was currently talking about was how things actually were, if they were what he personally believed or if they were what people thought at the time. For a history teacher, that's pretty bad. And he constantly did weird stuff, like start class with having everyone sing songs, because we're an Arts (Swedish school system) class. Never mind that we're an Arts class focused on painting/drawing, not music...

His stint as our teacher ended with him getting kicked out of teacher-school.

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-12, 02:35 PM
Oh I just remembered this woman who used to watch over us back in private school, wich apparently is far behind my shiny new public school. Let's see, she confiscated toys even if you weren't using them, even if they were in your backpack, she made everyone, even the older kids, sing along with her to wheels on the bus *shiver*, said s*** in front of all the little children (who later thought it was ok and started saying all. the. time.), and she overall hated children.

Oh and my new science teacher says i'm a bad influence to the other children (while I work and the others laugh and mess with eachother) and is dissapointed in my for throwing my tissue away. He said he thought I was going to be a leader, oh well. :smalltongue: Fun messing with him sometimes.

loopy
2009-09-12, 05:37 PM
My sister, on the other hand, does have some bad stories. Mostly, she creates the problems, but occasionally she has a genuine point. For example, one time for her Global Studies class she had to make a timeline. All the other groups just made it out of paper with a few powerpoints thrown in, but my sister made an actual movie out of it. She worked entirely on her own because her (teacher-picked) group was lazy and stupid and wouldn't help at all, and she worked for *hours* on it. I know, because I watched her. Then it turned out that her copy of the program she used was more advanced than the school's copy, so it wouldn't work. The teacher gave her a 0 on it initially, but eventually ended up accepting it at a reduced grade when my mom brought in her laptop to show it to him. My sister (and my mom) were absolutely furious.

Thats shocking, and just the srt of thing that teaches kids not to put any effort in. :smallfrown:

Thajocoth
2009-09-13, 12:06 AM
Most of my teachers have been great. My first grade teacher wasn't. I refused to stand up for... I don't want to get political, but I had a good reason for not standing up for something we were required to stand up for every morning. (And not a physical reason.) She would actually pull me up by my hair to force me to stand each day. That's not all, but that's the worst of it. She was not teaching the following year... But she did wind up teaching the year after. We didn't actually sue her, and the school didn't believe she had been abusive.

My brother got two of his high school teachers fired though:

One of them was there went I went there, but when I was there, the worst he did was only call on the girls in class to answer questions. It was very obvious. By the time my brother went there, 8 years later, he was sharing too much of his personal life with the class, occasionally showing up drunk, and hitting on some of the girls. My brother convinced some of his friends (who were girls in that guy's class) to let the principal know about it. He was promptly fired.

His art teacher would let the kids play the radio while they worked. When the song "I kissed a girl and I liked it" came on though, she told them to shut it off, then made an offhand homophobic comment. My brother and half of his friends that were in that class are gay. He actually had some trouble getting passed the secretaries to tell the principal about this issue, but once he & his friends explained it, she was fired as well.

Kendrick
2009-09-13, 07:24 PM
I only had one truly bad teacher over the course of my education. I can remember feeling annoyed at a teacher who insisted I should work with a partner when I was perfectly capable of doing the work on my own but, with 20/20 hindsight, learning to work with other people is far more important than whatever you learn in Year 7 English (at age 11 for those on a different system).

Anyway, me and my friend always walked to school, and one time we got knocked down by a car. We were both fine, but an ambulance was called, we went to hospital for a few checks and our school gave us the rest of the day off, everything was fine except we missed a few lessons. Later that week, we had a lesson, with a teacher who was (with good reason) almost universally disliked, having missed the lesson earlier in the week the teacher asks us for some homework due in for that lesson. I handed mine in, but my mate hadn't brought his, the teacher then started shouting at him accusing him of laziness, being disorganised and trying to get run over in an attempt to avoid the homework and to get me killed.. :smalleek: It might be just me, but I think that someone who overreacts like that should probably not be working with children/young adults..

I also had several disagreements with other teachers but they were nearly all my fault, answering back, not working, spending the entire lesson talking and generally being disruptive. Over the course of two years I must have lost 100 or so lunch hours in detention with one teacher for not being tactful and not showing respect. When I eventually decided it was worth buckling down, if it meant I could go play football at lunch we got on suprisingly well and he even put up with some of my comments. :smalltongue:

Shraik
2009-09-13, 10:07 PM
I've had crazy incidents. 6th grade we were learning something in math class, and honestly don't remember what. I just remember I was having trouble understanding it. So the teacher calls on me, and I was just like "Well, uh... well...uh........ i-i don't know" and she starts yelling at me. Instead of doing the normal thing, and asking if I don't understand it, she starts yelling at me saying "Maybe you should actually pay attention, and not stare out the window the whole time watching the kindergardners. Maybe you should be out there with them because you can't seem to act like a sixth grader." Anxious to get out, I looked towards to clock to see how long until the period ended and she threatened to give me detention if I looked at the clock again. She had a baby, and sixth grade was home free then on.

Other then that, most teachers do not like me because I am smart. The know I'm bright and they know I'm lazy, and they do not like that combination. It's why my grades rarely venture past a B. Lack of overall caring because of their condencending nature.

Tho, I had a teacher who loved me because I was bright, and saw so much potential in me. I never did Great in that class, and for the first time for really bad for doing "Alright."

scsimodem
2009-09-14, 01:42 AM
Warning, strong opinions only loosely related to original topic follow. Read at your own peril.

First and foremost: I know there are bad teachers out there, but one thing I've seen too much of both on this thread and in life in general is a total lack of respect from little snots who don't seem to get that just because somebody hasn't made a conscious effort to earn your respect means they don't deserve it.

Whether it's a teacher, a boss, a parent, a pastor (or equivalent, assuming you attend religious services, of course), a police officer, or a politician there are people in this world whose position demands a certain amount of respect not for who occupies it, but solely for the position they're in. Not all of them deserve it and there will be times you KNOW you can do a better job, but that doesn't matter.

If you encounter a situation like the OP put down and your response is "Yes, I think you're an idiot," that doesn't make you smart, clever, or honest. It just makes you a disrespectful smarta**. No matter what a teacher does to you, it is your prerogative to treat that teacher with respect. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to sit quiet when your teacher does something wrong, but you DO need to *respect* the teacher.

Lastly, on this rant, I find that most students who think they're smarter than their teachers are far dumber than they think they are, and those who are smarter than their teachers are typically smart enough not to flaunt it around out of some sense of superiority. In fact, both history and good fiction are FULL or students leaving their teachers, feeling learning from them was a waste of time, only to find themselves woefully unprepared for the real world.

But I'm not through yet (spins around on soap box):
That being said, the American education system is the single most useless, asinine, worthless, and most ill-conceived ways I have ever heard of to educate children, and willfully turning an innocent child over to the hands of the federal government, the same federal government responsible for the post office, airport security, and the so-called 'stimulus' money, is tantamount to child abuse. If most private corporations don't trust the federal government to do something as simple as send a package from point a to point b, why should I trust my most precious treasures, my own children, to that same government for 7 hours a day, 8-9 months a year for 13 years?

First off, this rash of arrogant, bratty little snots who don't pay attention in class because they're convinced they're smarter than their teachers is the very product of the teachers they have had before. It's become practically illegal to damage some little snowflake's ego to the point that wrong must be considered right and nobody dares tell a child he's failed or lost at anything. Self-esteem doesn't mean anything if it isn't earned. We're raising an entire generation of idiots who feel really good about themselves for no reason, and now these very same snots don't know why they can't get an $80,000/year job straight out of college with a 2.1 GPA in communications.

Along those same lines is this asinine idea that all students must be matched with people of their age rather than people on their intellectual level. Truly exceptional students lose their drive to learn after 13 soul-sucking years of having to listen to dunces try to pronounce 'Mark Twain' when they're perfectly capable of waxing poetic on the works of Cicero and Chaucer. In the meantime, students who would be far better off and far happier in vocational school learning welding or carpentry are shuffled off to college thanks both to the notion that people without college degrees are worthless and that any person can accomplish any task with sufficient desire. In no world would I ever have been as good as Michael Jordan at basketball, nor is there any world in which Paris Hilton could surpass me at physics. Some people have natural talents at things they enjoy, and it's far better to help them find that then to push them madly towards higher and higher education in the belief that working with your hands is menial, while more and more students trudge their way through college to get a degree which has become, essentially, meaningless thanks to the demand that all students go to college.

Then there's the truly irrational, inane belief held onto by our system for years, and that is that the government should use the power of force to confiscate money from you to pay for a local school, no matter how horrible that school is, then use that same power to force your child to go to that school or else pay out of pocket to send your child to something better than that hellhole...assuming you can even afford it. Generation after generation of children born to poor parents are stuck in an ever descending spiral due to the government's insistence that they attend to the school closest to their home, even if the children are geniuses and the school is an underachieving hellhole run by gangs and pimps. What would be so wrong in giving the parents the choice of what school to send the kid to, then cutting funding to schools that can't convince parents to let their children attend. This worked wonders for the schools in D.C. until our illustrious politicians, always clamoring to 'help the poor' quashed the program.

The majority of the blame, however, lies with teachers' unions. Due to their strong arm tactics, and the government's desire to keep rowdy people off their backs, few teachers, if any, are accountable for their actions any more. In New York City, if a teacher is caught molesting children, it is faster and easier to wait until the teacher is convicted, then fire him based on his being convicted of a felony than it is to simply fire the teacher for boning underage girls. It is the teachers' unions that have fought so hard to crush voucher programs. They know that if competition is introduced into the schools that some of their members might actually have to put forth an effort to keep their jobs. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE CHARGED WITH PREPARING THE NEXT GENERATION TO RUN THE WORLD!! When confronted with the fact that their policies harm children, they brazenly state that they'll start caring when children start paying dues. Their only job is to make sure as many of their members do as little work for as much pay as possible with no regard to what kind of job they're doing. IT'S DISGUSTING!!

On second thought, the federal government is just as much to blame. It was their idea that they continue to cling to like a toddler and his security blanket that school should be a one-size fits all affair. Not only that, but that one size is to train children up to the point of a functional citizen and no more...a simple automaton capable of performing meaningful labor but without enough individualism or deep thought to question the government or ponder the Constitution. It's a straightforward affair to think that the Constitution states that individual rights are paramount and that the government has very little power, but thanks to public education, the debate now is whether the government SHOULD take over massive swaths of the economy rather than whether they actually have that authority...which they don't. It's also this disgusting act of the federal government that's turned schools into an institution that believes the well-being of a child consists only of keeping anything unpleasant from happening to him, rather than realizing that the unpleasant experience is the best teacher and that the occasional skinned knee at recess is far less damaging to our society than the fact that 'adult onset diabetes' had to be renamed.

It's also endemic of the nature of government run operations that anything not functioning the way people want it to should simply get more money. As a result, the best funded schools in the nation are often the worst (D.C. fits this category, as does Atlanta, at least on a state level). We spend more per student than any nation in the world, yet the longer a student has been in the public education system, the worse that student will do compared to peers abroad. 4th grade students are ranked in the top ten, while high school juniors rank just above Cyprus and Congress tells us how good a job they've been doing. It's CRIMINAL!

Back to the topic at hand, I had a programming teacher my freshman year of college who was a complete and total...well, there's no way I can end that thought cleanly, so I'll get on with it. There were 250 people in two sessions of that class (125 each). He went entirely too fast, ignored questions and objectives, assumed knowledge most people didn't have, and bragged about how far ahead of the syllabus he was. On the second test, the class average of session 1 was 47/100. For session 2 it was 49. Only one person got an A. He then got in front of the class and chewed everybody out for not paying attention or putting forth any effort and announced there would be no curve or dropping of the test grade. We'd just have to live with it. Then, on my first project, which we had a month and a half to do, my group bailed on me. They kept telling me they were making progress right up until the Friday before it was due (the following Monday). I told the teacher. He told me it was my problem. I worked on that S.O.B for 87 hours straight...and got a C because it wouldn't compile on his compiler, meaning my code was poorly written. I compiled my code in both Borland and Microsoft Visual Studio (both $500+ programs). He didn't tell us until the end of the semester what compiler he used. It was a third party Unix compiler written by 2 guys working out of their basement...and it was still in beta. I managed a B in that class, but I was one of only 12 out of the original 250 to pass. That was that teacher's last semester.

Thajocoth
2009-09-14, 02:53 PM
...whose position demands a certain amount of respect not for who occupies it, but solely for the position they're in...

This makes no sense. A person should be respected only for who they are, not what they are. Old? Young? Powerful? Weak? Doesn't matter. It's what they do and how they act that make a person respectable or not. The average kindergartner deserves the same respect as the average kindergarten teacher because the average anyone deserves the same respect as the average anyone else..

Jack Squat
2009-09-14, 03:03 PM
This makes no sense. A person should be respected only for who they are, not what they are. Old? Young? Powerful? Weak? Doesn't matter. It's what they do and how they act that make a person respectable or not. The average kindergartner deserves the same respect as the average kindergarten teacher because the average anyone deserves the same respect as the average anyone else..

But some people should be given the benefit of the doubt with respect. The point could be made that you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I'd say it's more important to do so to a LEO or teacher rather than that guy sitting next to you at the bar or your classmate.

Then once they prove beyond a doubt that they don't deserve it, you can feign it and get sneaky with retribution.

EDIT: scsimodem, watch the politics.

Thajocoth
2009-09-14, 03:11 PM
But some people should be given the benefit of the doubt with respect. The point could be made that you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I'd say it's more important to do so to a LEO or teacher rather than that guy sitting next to you at the bar or your classmate.

Then once they prove beyond a doubt that they don't deserve it, you can feign it and get sneaky with retribution.

EDIT: scsimodem, watch the politics.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I get the idea that being in certain positions implies extra competence, but really, all the person needed to do was complete some manner of training. That's great, but tells me nothing of who they are as a person. And hey, you never know if that guy sitting next to you at the bar is developing a cure for cancer, or if that classmate is the future Thomas Edison... Everyone's got great potential somewhere.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-14, 03:14 PM
I get the idea that being in certain positions implies extra competence

It does? Since when? O_o

Thajocoth
2009-09-14, 06:43 PM
It does? Since when? O_o

Implication does not mean it's true. That was my point if you read second half of the sentence. Like, I understand why people would think that, not that I think that.

Strawman
2009-09-14, 06:50 PM
I had a class in high school that would regularly change location between the classroom and the library. One day I was the first to class and the teacher asked me to tell the class to meet at the library, and then he left. I misheard him and told the class to wait at the classroom. After fifteen minutes we figured out what went wrong and headed to the library.

If it was only me getting punished for this, I would understand. However he decides to make the entire class stay after school for fifteen minutes. What possible reason could he have for thinking that is an effective or fair punishent?

Jack Squat
2009-09-14, 06:52 PM
That doesn't sound like a punishment so much as wanting to keep caught up on lesson time...so long as it didn't interfere with any other schedule or people getting rides home, I don't see a problem with this.

Strawman
2009-09-14, 06:52 PM
Except that he didn't hold us after school to teach. We were supposed to sit there silently. Extra agrivation for everyone that just barely missed the bus.

Partof1
2009-09-14, 08:09 PM
I don't have any particularly bad stories, I've just had one lazy teacher, and an overbearing principle. The current principle at my brothers school is just downright annoying. She talks to everyone (junior high students and parents included) as if they were kindergartners. Everybody knows the high pitched voice they use on kids' shows, right? "Now there, children, its time for your snacks. It wasn't just the annoyance that bugged me about her, its that she was condescending as she spoke. I ccan't stand condescension or arrogance.

Dieoxide
2009-09-14, 08:18 PM
As much as I am hating myself for writing this, only evil teacher I've had was my math teacher last year. I was trying my hardest first semester and whatever I did, I always got a D on anything and when he called me back on a test, the first one he said I was "self-destructive" and a few quizzes/tests after that, he said "He knows what's going on" but refused to tell me what was going on.

One extra tidbit, the first test in his test, I got a 67%, this year, without changing ANYTHING, I got a 87% and that is a whole 365 days apart where my teacher this year is a different one, explain that logic to me, how I can get a failing grade with one teacher. and pass in the other class. There was no way I remembered it all from last year either.

KilltheToy
2009-09-14, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Jalor;6930268]
Can't figure out the answer to a question in the textbook? She defenestrates it![\QUOTE]

Thank you so much for using the word "defenestrate". You are made of win and awesome for doing this.

I like the word "defenestrate". Can you tell :smalltongue:?

Lets see now...

I haven't had any teachers that were actually bad, but I have had quite a few that were unpleasant in varying degrees.

My 3rd grade math/science teacher threw a girl out the window. She wasn't actually thrown, of course, but the newest batches of 3rd graders don't have to know that, do they :smalltongue:? He did, however, yell quite loudly when he was angry, which was terrifying. I'm actually on a good footing with this guy now. We go to the same church, so I still see him once a week or so.

My 5th grade math teacher wasn't all that bad, but I did have a habit of reading the encyclopedia during class, which she actually called me out on one day. She also took up some pictures I'd done earlier in art class that I had stored in my desk because she thought I'd drawn them in class.

My Geometry teacher last year (noticing a trend here?) was a jerk and a half. Between the fact that he really did not like us, the whole "you're worthless" thing, the lecture he gave us on how worthless we were (on my birthday, no less :smallmad:), he really wasn't all that great.

There's also the good times I had freshman year, but those weren't a case of evil teachers as much as they were a case of a somewhat paranoid (I'm unsure of a better adjective to use here) teacher and a wacky misunderstanding respecively. I may or may not post those later.

Setra
2009-09-14, 11:17 PM
My third grade teacher broke my wrist when.. well I was in third grade.

I couldn't prove it though because it was his word against mine.. actually that wasn't the only thing he did.. admittedly I was a huge brat in school... but just because you WANT to pick a kid up and slam him into a wall doesn't mean you SHOULD.

rankrath
2009-09-15, 09:10 AM
My speech teacher in 7th grade. Mandatory class semester class for a bunch of 13 year olds. First day of class, she assigns a four minute speech, to be given tomorrow, and it has to be memorized. After each student gave his or her speech, she would heavily criticize the speaker, and not offer any pointers on how to do better. Just: don't 'um', make it more interesting, you talk too fast/slow, ect. And it was like this all year. She'd assign a topic for us to talk about, we'd have to come in tomorrow and give a four minute speech from memory, then be yelled at for not magically not knowing what a perfect speech should be. She never actually taught us anything.

Funny thing is, i had her next year for drama, and she was amazing.

KazilDarkeye
2009-09-15, 03:04 PM
While I have not had any particularly evil teachers, my friend had an odd case a few years back.

The first and main problem was that this teacher (a Physics teacher, it doesn't really matter) was not really well-versed in the English language. He also had a rather thick accent, so most of the time the students couldn't really understand what he was saying.
The most amusing example of this would be talking about the Solar System and going through the planets (in the wrong order, I add) "No, no - it goes Mars, Jupiter, Wee-nus", and at that point on student asked him (politely) to repeat that, and he just goes mental and sends him out of the room, lecturing him after class.
There aren't any other notable conversations, and I think he retired or something, so meh.

Keshay
2009-09-15, 03:56 PM
I hadn't originally considered University professors to add to my list of bad stories, but in hindsight 3-4 stand out.

Basic Chemistry (which I took before deciding to go hardcore science major): The professor would never actually explain anything, he'd just write something on teh board and repeat "Do you see?" untill everyone in the class absent mindedly nodded thier heads. When pressed for an actual explanation of whatever he was talking about he'd tell us that the explanation was for more advanced calssed and all we had to know was the basic principles. I'd had AP chemestry in HS, so I aced the class, the prof was still annoying though.

Priinciples of Human Physiology I: Ever see Ghostbusters 2? Remember Sigourney Weaver's boss from the museum? The prof had that kind of accent, only much worse. (Funniest part was when we asked where he was from he answered NYC). As you can imagine this made understanding anything he said rather difficult to understand, espically when he was throwing out medical jargon left and right. The next semester was much better since the preofessor spoke English clearly.

Sociology: I am still convinced the man teaching this class was some manner of demon sent to confound, confuse and generally aggrivate the student population of his classes. It was bad enough this was a one-night-a-week lecture, but (again) his accent and inexplicable idioms made understanding the course material impossible. He'd provide a point, then offhandedly say "Of course that's nothing but barley wine and green cheese." he never explained what that was supposed to mean. He'd just give some sort of nebulous response that when we knew that we'd understand Sociology. Maybe he was doing some sort of experiment on us... The worst part was at the time my mother taught Sociology at another university, and she had no help for me in dealing with this person. It was a very frustrating class.

Finally, Human genetics. The teacher wasn't actually bad, it was that she was frequently afflicted with migranes, even moreso in the sesmester I took this class. We'd miss entire weeks worth of class, labs and all. Our last class consisted of the first 3/4 of class covering 2/3 of the entire course material, and the last third taking the Final. She gave blanket A minuses to the class, which was nice. I don't think anyone didn't deserve it, it was a 600 level course, so we were all Bio-Major (super)Seniors, all on the dean's list. I'd have been annoyed if it had been a general admission class though.

Lastly, there was a Botany professor who liked to give multiple choice questions where none of the answers were right, but also didn't provide a "none of the above" response. She never went over the tests, so we didn't pick up on it for awhile. In a study group, I and some others eventually noticed EVERYONE got the same questions wrong. So, upon some pressing we got the professor to admit none of the answers were right, and we were supposed to write in a "none" answer for full credit. That didn't fly for us, no did it with the departmetn head and dean. I think she was eventaully charged with fraud of some sort, she'd been doing this for years and so there were hundreds if not thousands of students whose GPA were effected. I do know she was put on admisistrative reprisal for 2 semesters. Basically she needed to have all classes monitored and all tests approved and checked by another party. Lucky me, as one of the post grad TAs I got to be one of the folks who had to check and grade her tests.

Jack Squat
2009-09-15, 04:26 PM
I've decided to go on to part 2 of my list, thus completing my education up to it's current point. Again, this isn't necessarily evil, but incompetent (for the most part).

9th grade: Career Management Success - Now, this is a bogus class. You basically spend 2 weeks with 6 different teachers and go through things like resumes, teamwork, interviews, etc. Most of the time the (vocational) teachers would show you something and try to pitch their class to you.

In one of the rotations, our teacher was a severely overweight former HVAC installer. He was one of those "I'm right because I'm a teacher, and you're wrong because you're a student" type people. He also wasn't too subtle about this being a waste of his time. He didn't teach us anything, but rather had us research material for ourselves, then offer harsh criticism over whatever it was.

What we accomplished in this class was learning parliamentary procedure (which has absolutely no use in reference to the course) and how to start up a business. By learning how to start up a business, I mean he assigned us into groups of four people, and told us to come up with an idea of a business and write down the start-up costs. Oh, we couldn't spend over $120,000. No lessons learned about the process of starting one at all, except apparently don't.

10th grade: My biology teacher. She actually really liked me (probably due to me answering questions correctly for the first two weeks, and scoring well on all the tests), but in general she was incredibly strict, sexist (she clearly was more lax on women, and even made a few anti-male remarks), and above all else, she put way too many animations into her slides. She seriously managed to regularly crash PowerPoint because of adding too many animations.

College:

My CS140 (Data structures) teacher was a man who could talk, he just didn't have anything to talk about. The topic of the day would be trees, or stacks/queues, or hashing, etc., and at the end of the lecture, I didn't gain any more knowledge on how to actually set up the structure. Asking him would get you a little more information, but in general, he'd just refer you to his TA, who didn't know much at all about the course. The professor also enjoyed to carry out experiments involving the class, which was really just detrimental to everyone. The class got progressively smaller, but I don't know how many people dropped out. What I took away from that class is how invaluable Google is.

My CS160 (Forget the name of the class...hardware type stuff, logic gates, processors, that sorta stuff) teacher was worse. He mumbled when he was up at the board, wrote down notes that were just a poor paraphrasing from the book, and would actively avoid students seeking help. Seriously, one kid in that class managed to get help, once. Tests in the class averaged low-mid 60s, but he apparently had never noticed a problem in his teaching technique over the past 16 years of doing that class. He also forced a bell curve, which while good since most people would have probably failed otherwise, the whole concept is flawed, since it forces people to fail, even if they do well. This class started with 26 people in it. At the time of the final, we had 12.

littlequietguy
2009-09-16, 10:27 PM
What was tthe name of that psychological test that simulates racism? Instead of Black and white it had blue eyes and brown eyes. Anyway my 2nd-grade teacher tried to recreate this experiment in her classroom to teach us about racism or some such. Without telling us. Of course at that age I was to stupid to figure it out even though every one in the class was. It was fairly traumatic.

alchemyprime
2009-09-18, 11:15 PM

I bet you she was married to my buddy's 8th grade math teacher. WHo was cahoots with my 7th grade math teacher.

HIS: No kid in any of his classes ever got higher than a C. The minute on of them would, he'd do an Advance Quiz (a quiz on a chapter you hadn't read yet.) Now, all the teachers did this for each chapter. But he was the only teacher who GRADED the quizes.

MINE: Most boring man alive. How a guy who could ride a chopper to school, listen to Dr. Demento, speed eat through a bucket of red licorice (a quarter bucket in five minutes. It was a fun day.) and actually jump into a Transformers conversation be so boring, I dunno.

So, when I started failing his class, my mom talked to him. She found out two things I already knew: he had the most boring voice ever (he made Ben Stien sound like the SNL announcer) and he hated manga and comics. So reading Yu-Gi-Oh and Love Hina in class may have been a bad idea...

Thankfully, when we hit 9th, we got the greatest math teacher ever. Mr. Pruett. He was like if Steve from Blue's Clues never went to do music and instead left to teach high school geometry.:smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2009-09-18, 11:29 PM
I had a really bad english teacher once in high school. It was the advanced class but I was falling behind because I had come from a different high school where they did essay formats differently...and she demanded everything be hand-written before it was typed.
How did I get her back? My last presentation was on furries. With a slideshow. :smallamused:

Quincunx
2009-09-21, 05:04 AM
Fun evil:

A taboo is like a staff of power: for the biggest explosion, break it strategically. She strolled into off-topic class conversations in the back of the room as though included from the beginning, until they petered out from embarrassment. She pointed out to the hostile quiz bowl kids that it would be easier if they just asked one another out directly. She demoted the head of the social order by planting a kiss on him at the end of class, as the classes were changing, for maximum social exposure and loss of face. (I did previously mention that my Latin classmates--the one immediately following this incident--were master-class hecklers? He learned that arriving late to Latin was now fatal. :smallamused: )

Yarram
2009-09-21, 05:38 PM
Ooh! I guess this isn't evil... But it is awesome.
The ex-principal of my school, who left half-way through my reign of terror, was taught how to really beat the crap out of people by his father, and my own father witnessed while he was still teaching at my current school, this principal take down an intruder and hold him down to the ground using only the intruders thumb.

darkblust
2009-09-21, 06:17 PM
Quincunx:isnt a teacher kissing a student illegal?

Copacetic
2009-09-21, 09:56 PM
Mrs. J., my 7th grade math teacher, was possibly the most horrific teacher I've known. She lost assignments (then graded me off for never handing them in), Graded assignments poorly, and frogot to tell us vital information about the assignments we were supposed to do ( After my grade slipped to a C, my father made me spend two hours re-correcting a paper to his most perfect of standards. I turned it in, and got a D- on it. Turns out every problem was wrong because they were written in decimal not fraction form. She apparently told us this in class).

No there were two girls in Mrs. J's. class who threw notes from other sides of the class room to each other. They were never caught. We really did hate her.

My mom complained to one of her jogging buddies, and apparently she launched a complaint 15 years ago about her substandard teaching.

snoopy13a
2009-09-21, 10:03 PM
Quincunx:isnt a teacher kissing a student illegal?

That depends on the state laws and the age of the student. In most places, it is legal for a teacher to sleep with a student if the student is of legal age. Of course, the teacher would be fired and would never teach again but no crime would have taken place. If the student isn't of legal age then it would be statutory rape.

A teacher kissing a minor would probably be something like unlawfully dealing with a child.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-21, 10:32 PM
As a teacher in training, I thought I'd let you in on a little secret about bad teachers: they are the ones who refuse to change their methods when confronted by experiences where they don't work. Good teachers are like good DMs, they realise the game isn't working and adapt accordingly.

Partof1
2009-09-21, 10:45 PM
As a teacher in training, I thought I'd let you in on a little secret about bad teachers: they are the ones who refuse to change their methods when confronted by experiences where they don't work. Good teachers are like good DMs, they realise the game isn't working and adapt accordingly.

Qft.

My LA teacher last year, while not evil, was annoying. She disagreed with the class on a political cartoon, a label on a child's shopping cart, she insisted, was an ad. We insisted and actually used logic to defend that it was just a label, but she kept trying to say it was an attemtp to sell something, when it clearly wasn't. This is just an example, but she was impossible to debate with.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-21, 11:22 PM
Teachers are supposed to teach you to think, not what to think. And I have had my own experiences as a student with a teacher being manipulated by her own class.

BatRobin
2009-09-22, 02:06 PM
Ok, 6th grade.

We had this really mean substitute for the day (she had a worse reputation than the grouchy lunch lady, although the lunch lady was actually pretty nice, but that aside,), name not said, and so she comes into class and starts, and seems pretty nice and all for a change. Then, someone gets one really tough problem from the homework wrong (and it was a really hard question considering we were 12 or so, long division and beyond or something), AND SO SHE BERATES HIM for about the rest of class, screaming he'll never get into college and he'll go to jail for public idiocy. He cried in a corner. This was one of the toughest kids in school (although not nescessarily smartest, but who cares).

The next day, we told our Math teacher (who Mrs. EVIL had subbed for), and she spread this story through the entire school and to the principal.

Suffice to say, she isn't teaching any more.

evil-frosty
2009-09-22, 07:27 PM
This leads to an interesting question: Can you go to jail for public idiocy?

Dewey
2009-09-22, 09:24 PM
That substitute teacher ought to!:smallbiggrin: Back on topic, most of my teachers have been at worst mediocre, so i apparently got off easy.

snoopy13a
2009-09-23, 05:30 PM
This leads to an interesting question: Can you go to jail for public idiocy?

Police have wide latitude to arrest people. I suppose "public idiocy" would fall under disorderly conduct though.

MCerberus
2009-09-23, 05:50 PM
The only evil teacher I can really remember is my 10th grade computer graphics teacher. One of those "art" teachers that makes no attempt at objectivity. She didn't like me, made it known publicly, took points off my project because of this. The "best" part of the class was when we did record covers. I made a pain-steaking recreation of Abbey Road, not traced (was in the assignment), and using solid color shading (IE no gradients or light sources). 500+ layers later, and with the universal acclaim of the A students who claimed mine was the best in class, I got the C-.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-09-23, 06:18 PM
I've had few Evil teachers, but plenty of incompetents. Take for example my Junior English teacher. We were studying Romanticism and, as examples of romantic poets, she uses E.E. Cummings and William Carlos Williams. William Carlos Williams! That's about as far from Romanticism as you can get! I tried to explain this to her, but she was convinced that This Is Just To Say was about the greed and corruption of society. :smallconfused:

Jalor
2009-09-23, 08:15 PM
My American Government teacher last year was probably my worst. She was... fanatically devoted to a particular political party (not the one you're thinking of; let's just say she made an ass of herself), even though she would contradict herself and held several views contrary to her chosen party. Somehow, she read my political views completely backward. She insisted I was dedicated to the other major American political party, when I agree with neither.

She promised "debates", but the way she reacted to disagreement, it was more like "everyone sits quietly while I tell them what to believe". She accused me of racism daily, saying I hated her because she was Hispanic. She also liked to claim that I had no right to oppose her views because I couldn't understand the persecution she faced. Funny, that, because I'm part Hungarian Roma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people_of_Hungary) and a religious minority.

Even if you ignore her racism and hypocrisy, she was still a terrible teacher. We had a surprisingly good textbook, so I managed good grades in the class by reading it (learned more than I expected, too). She also had a habit of throwing vague instructions around for projects and expecting us to understand. If you pestered her long enough, she would explain better, but only if she liked you. She never explained anything to me.

She lost one of my essays once too, and I ended up dropping a letter grade that quarter. She would demand that we write about a current political event every week, but she never read them. I only did one a month, and recycled them for four weeks before moving on. She never caught on.

One of my friends has her this year. Every day he complains about her, and every day I laugh at his fate.

Thunder Hammer
2009-09-24, 02:10 PM
Wow.

The worst teacher I ever had thought she was doing me a favour. It was my 6th and 7th grade English teacher.

Let me give some background. I really liked writing stories (go figure that I' love GMing RPG games) but "boy" stories. You know, how I get awesome powers to defeat my evil enemies kind of stuff 11-13 yr olds write.

She really had thing for a "feminine" writing style, and frequently gave me lousy marks even though I did what she asked. Then, it got worse: I found out later that she thought I was "lazy" and "not trying hard enough" because I was "super smart." So, what did she do? She pretty much subtracted 15% off anything I handed in. I remember trying, really really really hard once to do a perfect paper... I had my parents help etc I got a B+.

I recall looking at papers posted on the wall one day for our "creative" writing assignment. This one kid in with horrible mispellings, bad grammer, gets an A. (Because he's dumb and that was a good effort for him.) I did a decent job for me (met the criteria of the assignment)... What did I get? C+

I mean, it was terrible, Before her, english was my favourite class. I hate the subject so much I went into MATH in University. Seriously, BLEEPING MATH PEOPLE!

I learned at a young age, that hard work is a total waste of time, and subsequently have had a hard time for the rest of my life putting effort into things. Years of counseling in my adulthood has *mostly* helped.

The worst part? Once, I was so mad that nothing I did was good enough, I decided to punish her. I had recently found out teachers get really upset when you do bad enough (especailly since I was at a really good private school where parents paid 3-4 times local college fees). So, on one of my assignments, I put every single wrong answer down. (It was romeo and juliet.) I put the worst, hackneyed, cliched, stupid interpretations possible. (In my mind at the time.)

What was my mark?

A+