PDA

View Full Version : Lotro

Gimliggamer
2009-09-09, 09:31 PM
I believe a lord of the Rings Online Thread is in order.
post about stuff about or in relation to LOTRO

Gimliggamer
2009-09-09, 11:20 PM
people can you please post?

shadowxknight
2009-09-10, 02:46 AM
Sigh... at least wait for a couple DAYS before bumping your own thread...:smallsigh:

When this game first came out I heard a lot about it, and it was rumored to be able to finally take WoW's crown of king of MMORPGs.

But a week after release all that sorta died out.
I was interested because supposedly you could play as monsters...?
Although I am definately not willing to shell out 15 bucks a month to play it.

Breltar
2009-09-10, 03:12 PM
I think this is still the best mmo that is the old action bar and auto attack system. It has a good storyline (obviously) and is done well with a lot of free upgrades in between paid expansions.

Gimliggamer
2009-09-10, 04:39 PM
@Shadowxknight

Actually, if you go to the site, there is a limited time offer for $10.00.
And, the story is one of the best, you can play as monsters at lvl 10, and at level 40 you can go to the Ettenmoors and battle the monster-players.
WoW is $15.00 anyways

Breltar
2009-09-10, 05:28 PM
On the anniversary they offer lifetime subs for 200 bucks.. though that is still a lot.

Prophaniti
2009-09-10, 08:28 PM
I almost bought the lifetime sub when this first came out. Alas, much like the very good (IMO) Warhammer Online, I do not play simply because I don't know anyone else that does, and currently cannot justify more than one MMO sub at a time.

Gimliggamer
2009-09-10, 08:58 PM
I almost bought the lifetime sub when this first came out. Alas, much like the very good (IMO) Warhammer Online, I do not play simply because I don't know anyone else that does, and currently cannot justify more than one MMO sub at a time.

Get your friends to play the free trial.

Hailphage
2009-09-11, 09:18 AM
Wow, talk about good timing. I found the game in the bargain bin the other day for a few bucks and thought "eh, what the heck" and got it.

Big downside though was that it was the original game only (ie. no Mines of Moria expansion included). So I then had to spend a day and a half downloading 2.5 yrs worth of patches :smallsigh: (on the upside however, the Moria expansion came included with the downloading so I got the expansion for nothing :smallsmile:). Of course I got the standard 'first month free' which was nice.

Tried out a couple of different characters through the intro stages. So far I'm liking my Dwarf Guardian the best. I've also tried out a Human Captain but don't think I'll continue with him at the moment and instead stick to the dwarf (I'll hang onto the human though for bank/AH duty).

Having played WOW for a couple of years I'm still getting use to the slightly different interface and terminology (Morale instead of Health, Power instead of Mana etc etc etc). I don't find it as intuitive but maybe I've just been playing WOW for too long so I'm biased.

Anyways my dwarf is currently level 7 (just finished the intro quests) so it's a bit early to tell how the game fully stacks up. I've heard it really gets going around level 15 as you begin to get out into the game world a bit so we'll see. I'm also trying to get a handle on how professions work in this game - it appears you instead choose a general profession 'field' which has various branches beneath but I'm not sure.

Anyway here's my details:
Server: Brandywine
Character: Grundrong (Dwarf Guardian)

Erloas
2009-09-11, 09:48 AM
I played a few months after release. I had got it for my brother's girlfriend and it looked pretty good so I got a copy for myself.

I think I got to the mid to late 30s with my dwarf guardian and had quite a few characters in the 15-25 range.
I really liked a lot of the class designs. It still had some of the reactive based combat that is all but gone since DAOC (at least with the melee oriented classes like the guardian). The biggest reason I stopped playing is because I never found a good guild (though I'm sure they are there, I'm just not that likely to switch guilds frequently until I find the good ones) and because I moved and got out of the habit of playing.

I've thought about coming back for the many free week offers they send out but I haven't. Mostly because I don't have it installed on my new computer and don't want to spend a day downloading several gigs worth of patches for a week and I just haven't taken the time to play any MMOs lately. I've still got my sub to WAR open and haven't even logged in for a few months even though I keep thinking I should.

Gimliggamer
2009-09-13, 11:54 PM
My biggest charcter during the 10 day free trial was a lvl 16 Human Champion.But I had 5 other lvl 8s and 1 lvl10. Did I mention monster Play?

Breltar
2009-09-14, 08:43 AM
The Old Timers Guild was the one I was with in Lotro and they are a pretty good group of folks. I got out of MMOs for a long while and am just getting back into it with DDO, though I doubt I will join a guild since my playtime is very erratic.

Gimliggamer
2009-09-18, 08:24 PM
bump. .