PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish to "Shadow" template?

Crow
2009-09-10, 01:43 AM
Someone on here had a cool idea about a section of forest that bordered the plane of shadow and I was going to gank it. So I'm looking for enemies for the players to run into, and I thought of shadow-versions of regular forest creatures.

I only have MM1 and 2 and didn't see anything suitable, so I was planning on using the Fiendish creature template for them and just re-flavoring it.

The only thing that seems like it may not fit quite right is the fire resistance. I want the creatures to be fearful of fire, hiding from the light, so to speak. What are some abilities that would be "shadow-centric" that would be a decent swap for dropping the resistance to fire, without making the creature any more powerful than the fiendish template does?

Kylarra
2009-09-10, 01:51 AM
Shadow is a template in manual of the planes.

iirc they get a pretty decent amount of bonuses for just cr +1

Salt_Crow
2009-09-10, 02:05 AM
There's "Dark creature" template from Tome of Magic which may or may not increase the creature's CR by 1 (LA+1) and Shadow template updated in Lords of Madness.

ghost_warlock
2009-09-10, 02:08 AM
There's also the 'dark creature' template in Tome of Magic. Less complicated than the shadow creature template in MotP.

Edit: ninja'd while I was seeing if I could find a link. :smalltongue:

Myrmex
2009-09-10, 02:10 AM
Since you have only MM1 & 2, I recommend looking in crystalkeep's template index, and seeing if anything works.

With fiendish, you could change fire to cold resistance.

Crow
2009-09-10, 02:12 AM
Hey there's another Crow in the playground...sortof.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those books. Otherwise, that dark creature template sounds promising.

Does anybody think there would be anything of equal power-level to replace the fire resistance with for my shadow-creatures that would fit thematically with the concept? They alread have cold resistance, which I'm keeping. I will check out crystal keep. I just want to make sure it doesn't bump up CR too much as the characters are lower level (2).

ghost_warlock
2009-09-10, 02:21 AM
Just give the creatures cold resistance 10 or so, a healthy bonus on Hide/MS (say +8), darkvision and/or low-light vision, and Hide in Plain Sight or Shadow Blend. That's basically a +1 LA/CR.

Crow
2009-09-10, 02:33 AM
I think I'll just replace the fire resistance with shadow blend.

Thanks everybody.

oxinabox
2009-09-10, 02:37 AM
As mentioned Crystal Keep's Template index. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf)
there in there full detailed, save your self the efort of frighting it your self and take a look.

BobVosh
2009-09-10, 03:39 AM
Shade in the FRCS is perfect. Really good powers in the dark, but light stops it. Including fire. +1-2 cr IRC.

Yora
2009-09-10, 04:30 AM
Hey there's another Crow in the playground...sortof.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those books.
I somewhat have come to love it. You make a very clear question and even if you explicitly say that you don't want to get creatures, classes, or spells from books, 7 out of 10 replies will do it anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-09-10, 08:38 AM
I somewhat have come to love it. You make a very clear question and even if you explicitly say that you don't want to get creatures, classes, or spells from books, 7 out of 10 replies will do it anyway. :smallbiggrin:

And one person will suggest an utterly powerful, near unrelated build :smalltongue:

That also seems to happen a lot.