PDA

View Full Version : Ready for some FOOTBALL?

Felixaar
2009-09-10, 03:46 AM
So, anyone want to go to one of the Semi-Finals this weekend in Melbourne? Theres tickets still available, and sport is one of those very few things I don't really want to go to by myself. After all, its no fun if you cant yack about it.

I was thinking the Mapies and the Crows at the MCG on Saturday night. It promises to be quite a game.

So, anyone in? I could book us tickets so we can all sit together. Come onnnn, it'll be fun :smalltongue:

FYI - Adults $47, Concession $32, Kids (U14) $11.5

Dispozition
2009-09-10, 03:49 AM
Naaaaaaah, would but naaaaah. VCE and stuuuuuff. Also, if it's saturday I may well be hung over...Damn 18ths...

KuReshtin
2009-09-10, 05:02 AM
I thought you meant the NFL... Opening game tonight! Woohoo!!!!

Aussie Rules is kind of cool as well, though.

Dispozition
2009-09-10, 05:03 AM
Aussie Rules is kind of cool as well, though.

What is this, I don't even

KuReshtin
2009-09-10, 05:08 AM
What is this, I don't even

It's way cooler than Association football, or the two versions of Rugby Football, but not as cool as American football.
So it's kind of cool.

Felixaar
2009-09-10, 05:08 AM
I'm not really an NFL man... it's too stale for me.

But come on, tubbs! (thats my new nickname for you. It's ironic, since your stomach was replaced with a blackhole shortly after birth.) Nah, I kid. Studies and all that if you really must.

Dispozition
2009-09-10, 05:14 AM
Having gone to an NFL match, and not enjoyed it overly much, I must concur that AFL is better.

And am I tubbs? Because if I am...wtf?

Felixaar
2009-09-10, 05:16 AM
Like I said, it's Ironic. You're skinny.

I'm starting to call Becc "Stretch", because shes short.

Dispozition
2009-09-10, 05:17 AM
V.V

But I can see your reasoning...

Emperor Ing
2009-09-10, 05:19 AM
The NFL is the best. There are no substitutes. :smallcool:

Felixaar
2009-09-10, 05:22 AM
Can we not have this turn into a "which football is best" topic?

Emperor Ing
2009-09-10, 05:34 AM
Can we not have this turn into a "which football is best" topic?

okay, sounds good.

Yeah, the NFL season's coming, and we're exited. :smallbiggrin:

Fin
2009-09-10, 05:59 AM
I know is dragging back off topic but I think you'll find the order is;

1. Football (Known as soccer to you philistines, we invented our game first so we should decide what it is called!)

2. Aussie Rules Football

3. That American game were they stop all the time and is essentially rugby played by wimps. :smallwink:

I actually really like Aussie rules and as such would go with you, but I live in England and the flights are out of my price range somewhat!

Anuan
2009-09-10, 07:06 AM
I'd go, but I'm kinda...interstate, and stuff.
Also, go the 'pies, just so we can yell 'Stone the Crows' and throw paper mache rocks at the opposing side.

PhantomFox
2009-09-10, 01:17 PM
3. That American game were they stop all the time and is essentially rugby played by wimps. :smallwink:

Ah, the Rugby vs. American Football debate. From what I remember, it boils down to a game of soldiers vs. a game of generals. Whether you like a fast paced game more focused on quick adaptation to the ever-changing situation or whether you prefer a more strategic play-based game.

Might as well come down to Coke vs. Pepsi. Personal taste.

Fin
2009-09-11, 02:23 PM
I mostly getting at the fact that both games are so similar yet NFL players were protective shielding. I personally really dislike rugby!

Joran
2009-09-11, 04:09 PM
I mostly getting at the fact that both games are so similar yet NFL players were protective shielding. I personally really dislike rugby!

In American football, there's a lot of people running at straight line speed into each other; where as a direct collision is rarer in other sports. I'd be afraid to see what would happen to people if they didn't wear the protective padding and helmets... Football players might end up looking like hockey players.

I'd be willing to go if I didn't live one ocean away. I love the umpires in Australian rules football though; their "single gun" and "double gun" motion for signaling a goal or behind is awesome.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/umpire.jpg

P.S. I looked up the correct terms for the refs and scoring from Wikipedia =P

Castaras
2009-09-11, 05:01 PM
In American football, there's a lot of people running at straight line speed into each other; where as a direct collision is rarer in other sports. I'd be afraid to see what would happen to people if they didn't wear the protective padding and helmets... Football players might end up looking like hockey players.

Happens in Rugby as well. :smalltongue:

*quietly slips out of thread again before rants begin on her opinions of american football compared to rugby <.<*

Klose_the_Sith
2009-09-12, 09:31 AM
I might be down for the Cats game next week, but I'm a bit sad I couldn't go the the Pies Crows ... that was EPIC :smallcool:

skywalker
2009-09-12, 06:46 PM
Happens in Rugby as well. :smalltongue:

*quietly slips out of thread again before rants begin on her opinions of american football compared to rugby <.<*

No, not the way it does in American football. The primary reason for the most punishing hits in American football is the forward pass. Because a quarterback engaged in the act of throwing is incredibly focused and sometimes loses awareness of his surroundings. Same principle, the receiver is catching the pass from the opposite direction of the defender and the way he wants to be going. He's also leaping up in the air trying to catch sometimes, which is a bad idea. So that is what really makes the contact different.

I do love rugby tho. A much better game than American Football.

Never seen Aussie rules...

SDF
2009-09-12, 07:01 PM
My uni is about to play an American football game tonight, and traffic is a nightmare. I also have to head to campus for a club meeting... bad planning I think, at least I can walk there from where I live. All anyone talked about last game was one of our players getting punched in the face by an Oregon player.

EDIT: We won 48-0.

skywalker
2009-09-13, 02:39 AM
My uni is about to play an American football game tonight, and traffic is a nightmare. I also have to head to campus for a club meeting... bad planning I think, at least I can walk there from where I live. All anyone talked about last game was one of our players getting punched in the face by an Oregon player.

You know, no offense to you or your school, but I think that guy deserved it. People always say college (and college sports) are supposed to teach life lessons. One good life lesson to learn is that if you get in someone's face, they might hit you. Too many people graduate college not understanding that. LaGarrette Blount contributed to that guy's education :smallbiggrin:.

Congrats on the win, better than my team did. And I feel you about the traffic. I was 30 minutes late for a date tonight because of my school's traffic problem.