PDA

View Full Version : Play-By-Post RPG Design (Again)

Samurai Jill
2009-09-10, 07:14 AM
I thought I'd take another stab at this question after a long hiatus, but to recap: The basic problem with PBP role-play as I've been able to observe is that there is no current RPG system really optimised for the purpose. This is ungood. Doubleplus-ungood.

Difficulties.
There are a few principle, but crippling, areas of friction that I can see:

* IIEE (Intent, Initiative, Execution and Effect.) Games that rely on a fixed initiative order translate very poorly to forums, because posters get online at unpredictable times that might not bear any correlation to the in-world scheduling of events.

* Informal negotiation, back-and-forth dialogue, or interpersonal queries of any sort are painfully slow, for similar reasons. So are many forms of task resolution where you can't just 'go ahead on your own.'

* PBP gamers seem eager to provide lots of colourful description for their actions in order to enliven things a bit, but different posters seem to have drastically different ideas of appropriate levels of detail. Some will write thousand-word tirades, others a dozen words- often side-by-side in the same transcript. In theory, this is just a question of taste, but I personally find it distracting, and detrimental to the transcript-as-artifact.

* PBP games are plagued by unannounced dropouts and absences, but I would contend this may be due more to sheer boredom than anything else. Still, some formal mechanism to facilitate 'carrying the torch' might be handy.

Opportunities.
With all that said, however, PBP games have several key advantages that seem to go almost completely unused:

* Posts can be edited. Don't like the way things turned out, or want to elaborate on an exchange of witty banter? There's nothing stopping you from improving on the record of what happened- within the limits of consistency, anything goes. Conversation, in particular, could be 'filled out' substantially this way, since it rarely has binding in-game mechanical effects.

* You're not limited by the mechanics of physical dice or strict integer math, and have a great deal of time to perform resolution of independent actions- in theory, this could could greatly facilitate certain forms of heavyweight-simulationist play.

* Unlike tabletop play, PBP seems much more similar to collaborative fiction. The written transcript of events could, in itself, have artistic merit, and possibly reach a (slightly?) wider audience than just the people who played it.

Observations.
The real question here is how you can get the players engaged with what they can do, there and then, when they sit down at the keyboard. How can they strategise, or immerse themselves, or cut to the emotional core of an issue, right then and there, without having to consult anyone?

* The heavy emphasis on descriptive colour and general narration, together with the difficulties associated with crunch-heavy play, would tentatively suggest a Narrativist direction for development. The problem is, Narrativist play often involves a great deal of informal negotiation over the stakes of conflict and world-building concensus, and precise IIEE is apparently very important for Nar play.

* The Burning Wheel system has several mechanics that could work well here- specifically, the ideas that most actions are scripted in advance and resolved simultaneously, and the Beliefs/Instincts/Traits framework that formalise PC goals and behaviour, which could help to patch over absences and dropouts. (The BW scripting approach has one major problem: actions must be written down and kept secret until resolution calls for them, or initiative mechanics just rear their ugly head again. In PBP terms, this might amount to private messages sent to the GM- but who's going to ensure the GM doesn't script his/her actions last, in the full knowledge of what the PCs are planning? Or perhaps some .php scripting facility could cater for this?)

* Following the idea of action-scripting, gamble-heavy Gamist play could in theory work quite well here, possibly taking a cue from Rune in the distribution of GM-adversity between players, and with the actual GM serving principally as arbitrator or referee.

* If an original system is going to gain any traction over the web, it needs to be light as a feather. It can't be big and complex and sprawling and full of endless rules-addenda. Players just won't invest the effort in learning it first.

I'm not making any definite recommendations yet, but I did want to explore the subject a bit before I try my hand at a fixed design direction.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-09-10, 08:45 AM
Have you had a look at Wushu Open? It's a system which uses description of the actions/scene as a key part of mechanics, which would move towards a more cohesive level of description among the RPers. It also is a very, very easy system to run as a PbP, due to the fact that there's very little tactics, and you can even do much roleplay (even in combat) in between rolls. Combat doesn't even have initiative.

Knave
2009-09-10, 08:48 AM
Don't forget that forums have other mechanics that can be exploited, for example voting, signatures, etc...

I was thinking of having a "pro wrestler" PBP RPG, where you get bonuses depending on how riled up the "crowd" is by your performance; basically, using the post-voting mechanic present at forums to add bonuses that help you in battle.

Eloel
2009-09-10, 09:06 AM
Don't forget that forums have other mechanics that can be exploited, for example voting, signatures, etc...

I was thinking of having a "pro wrestler" PBP RPG, where you get bonuses depending on how riled up the "crowd" is by your performance; basically, using the post-voting mechanic present at forums to add bonuses that help you in battle.

Those can be abused. Players shall not be trusted! :p

arkanis
2009-09-10, 09:10 AM
Well, ANYthing can be abused by ANYone who has access to it, it's all a matter of who you let into your gaming circle and how carefully you have people monitoring each other.

Hmmm, you may also want to consider allowing players to prescript their "next action" based on conditions. For example, if you were playing in an initiative order game Player A could state that if Player B did anything of the X sort he would perform Y whereas if anything else occurred he would perform Z to the best of his abilities.

Goal-based roleplaying rather than strict action-based roleplaying would definitely open up for a PBP game.

Knave
2009-09-10, 09:22 AM

That is inherent to the system. Considering pro wrestling is scripted, I EXPECT players to bribe other players, give "you vote me, I vote you" backrubs, and all in all, act like weasels. It's part of the fun. Anything barring multi-acc block voting is fine.

elliott20
2009-09-10, 09:24 AM

OOOH, I LIKE THIS IDEA.

I mean, think about it, a game like Prime Time Adventures can actually work out this way!

You'd have players play their character to whatever point the conflict occurs, and the after decided what the conflict will result in, the audience reading it can vote to decide who wins the conflict. Heck, we can make TWO polls in the same conflict and have them decide who narrates too.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-09-10, 09:30 AM
Jill, I've been interested by this challenge for quite a while, and, if you want to discuss the specifics at any time, I'm all for it. As a long-time PbP RPer (both rules-based and free-form), I may be able to help a decent amount.

I'd write more, but I have class today, so...

Thane of Fife
2009-09-10, 10:36 AM
* Posts can be edited.

One could probably run a very interesting, very complicated time travel RPG using this. It would be a headache, though.

Samurai Jill
2009-09-12, 12:08 PM
Have you had a look at Wushu Open? It's a system which uses description of the actions/scene as a key part of mechanics, which would move towards a more cohesive level of description among the RPers. It also is a very, very easy system to run as a PbP, due to the fact that there's very little tactics, and you can even do much roleplay (even in combat) in between rolls. Combat doesn't even have initiative.

Problems:
-The rule of Veto. This could mean extensive negotiation is required for a player to do anything- though, as the players adjust to eachothers' expectations in terms of style, that might not crop up so much(?)
-Not suitable for many styles of play- e.g, anything demanding more mechanical plausibility. It's actually quite a narrow Sim game, though I've seen adapatations to things like roman power politics, and it might be adaptable to Nar play too.
-Doesn't take best advantage of a PBP player's leisure to really sit down and think.

Benefits:
-The Principle of Narrative Truth IS very attractive. It would be great to be able to just sit down at the keys, make a decision, and describe the action in the confidence your work won't be wasted. It's possible edits could allow for a similar interplayer dynamic, though...
-Mechanical rewards for interesting description is also a nice idea.
-The relative simplicity of the traits system is a good thing.

Two other notions that I've had:
* Going back to the narrative truth idea, it's possible that you could simply have the GM rate the 'unlikelihood' of a given action after it's described, and the players can only spend so much of that per scene, or maybe per session (either single or collectively, I'm not sure...)
* Editing might lend itself to a 'pipeline' approach, where you actually have several scenes 'in production' at the same time in chronological order, where overall outcomes are resolved initially, and the details are filled in later.

You'd have players play their character to whatever point the conflict occurs, and the after decided what the conflict will result in, the audience reading it can vote to decide who wins the conflict. Heck, we can make TWO polls in the same conflict and have them decide who narrates too.

That's a very intriguing notion, and you raise an excellent point. I think it could be an interesting addition to Gamist play, and a good way to get the audience hooked.

Problems: Depending on the style of play (e.g, Narrativist,) this kind of populism might wind up undermining creative control in a fashion that's counterproductive to creative authorship of character. Someone who's bad at it will get depressed, and someone who's good at it might feel the need to take the character in an unpopular direction now for the sake of greater thematic payoffs later- you can't really judge a story until it's finished. (The difference with Primetime Adventures is that the players ARE the audience.)

I was also thinking about Heal/Hurt, Mindmaster, etc. and other similarly lightweight forum games as being work looking at- those things seem to pop up everywhere...

Jill, I've been interested by this challenge for quite a while, and, if you want to discuss the specifics at any time, I'm all for it. As a long-time PbP RPer (both rules-based and free-form), I may be able to help a decent amount.
Sounds great! I am working on a rough prototype system, but it might take me another day or two to get the core mechanics in shape... we could discuss things more then.

Hmmm, you may also want to consider allowing players to prescript their "next action" based on conditions. For example, if you were playing in an initiative order game Player A could state that if Player B did anything of the X sort he would perform Y whereas if anything else occurred he would perform Z to the best of his abilities.
Good idea. You might even confer some bonus for successful application of conditional actions (since you want to put a reasonable limit on how many options would be specified, and it does involve some risk.)

Goal-based roleplaying rather than strict action-based roleplaying would definitely open up for a PBP game.
It's definitely useful, but I'm going to have to cover the subject in more depth later. The problem is getting players with conflicting interests to agree on the 'goals' in the first place...

Juk
2010-02-23, 04:35 AM
Well, I never put much thought into this before, but I'm a php programmer with some game design experience. This is my initial take on how to overcome the issues created by sequential initiative and the inherent delays this can cause in PbP.

Perhaps some form of impulse system instead of initiative based system where PC's build up impulses over time and spend them when they take action.

Ultimately everyone gets roughly the same amount of actions in combat but you would be more free to spend your impulses when you're free to be on the pc. Obviously an inactive pc might get himself killed without taking any actions in a combat encounter but if you can't meet the expectations of the game in terms of posting this might be fitting.

You could really build a complex system around "impulses" by granting chunks at a time and having things cost appropriate amounts.

Just by as an example on the fly, if you got say 60 impulse pts a day (maybe doled out every 6 hours in blocks of 15) and moving was 2 impulses per square (3 or more for difficult terrain) and swinging an axe was 7 pts and casting a lightning bolt spell was 22 pts, things would start to coalesce into a workable system. The group could build a library of costs (with balance in mind) and the DM could take actions in the same way the pc's were, whenever it was convenient he could log in and resolve all the actions to date and spend the monsters impulses.

Just spit balling here but this seems like something that might take advantage of the technology of the internet instead of falling victim to it.

mikeejimbo
2010-02-23, 04:03 PM
One of the design principles I've always wanted to encourage in PBP was the ability for players to move things along without the DM, at least to a certain extent.

lost_my_NHL
2010-02-24, 07:36 AM
One thing you could do is have players describe their tactics at the start of an encounter. The DM would control their exact actions to fit that player's description of tactics. The DM would post a round every interval. In the meantime, players could discuss tactics and what to do on the boards. If a player wants to change tactics (e.g. "Let's forget the wizard, it's clearly a diversion. The rogue is their critical vulnerability! My fighter and so-and-so's cleric will pursue the rogue and try to corner him.) They post that, and the GM continues accordingly.

I've tried to develop a PvPish game where players make dungeons that connect at certain points. Players control monsters to attack the other dungeon, but PCs are stuck in a control point in their own dungeon. From there, they passively and actively use sensors and word of mouth to observe and command the battlefield. This kind of tactical environment lends itself even more to the above described PBP style of play.

Think in terms of finding the enemy's center of gravity and critical vulnerability and hitting it. If they have a few wizards that can levitate the attack party over obstacles and such, and without the wizard, they can't attack you very effectively, hit it. Maybe they have a monster with trapfinding, and your defence consists primarily of traps. hit it. If you find where they have unprotected divination spells, that may be their critical vulnerability: block the spells, and you can camp out behind their lines.

Also, you probably need good intelligence preparation of the battlefield to know when and where to attack. Cast clairvoyance on a rat, and have a goblin carry it around in a cage. Voila cheap mobile sensor. Invisible creatures with a radio may be able to completely discover the enemy's defenses. You see, there's MUCH more to this than who's creatures are bigger.

I'll probably make a sample dungeon tomorrow afternoon.