PDA

View Full Version : Mindrape

industrious
2009-09-10, 11:28 AM
I'm just wondering, what's the difference between Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia?

Tavar
2009-09-10, 11:46 AM
One's evil and one's not. Heck, they even have a Exalted version of the spell(Sanctify the Wicked). Wizards can be...inconsistent on apply morality.

There are some minor differences, however. I think programed amnesia can be used for a couple of benign purposes.

Zephyros
2009-09-10, 11:51 AM
They also differ in Casting Times. If I remember correctly there is a reason Programed Amnesia is 'programed' as in it takes considerably more time than the standard casting time of Mind Rape... I may be wrong though. So if someone knows correct me :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-10, 11:57 AM
One's evil and one's not. Heck, they even have a Exalted version of the spell(Sanctify the Wicked). Wizards can be...inconsistent on apply morality.

There are some minor differences, however. I think programed amnesia can be used for a couple of benign purposes.

Sanctify the Wicked also actually does absolutely nothing to the target's mind. It just makes them reflect on their past over the course of a year.

Rousseau was right in the Book of Exalted Deeds' view, I guess.

FMArthur
2009-09-10, 12:34 PM
It's so absolutely ridiculous that you should ban it, honestly. You could trap a devil that has centuries worth of patience and is literally nothing but evil given physical form, and make it good by locking it up for a single year. A lot of things in D&D make no sense in the context of the real world, but this spell seems to assume a level of mental maleability in sentient creatures that simply doesn't exist, making no sense even in the insane magical worlds of D&D.

It's like making a spell that depends on mind flayers being related to wolves and uses this nonexistant connection to power its effects. The existing rules of the game don't forbid it, but it is utterly inexplicable and brings the game to a screeching halt when the players say "wait, what?"

tyckspoon
2009-09-10, 01:04 PM
I'm just wondering, what's the difference between Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia?

The most significant, rules-wise, is that Amnesia is Permanent and Mindrape is Instant. That means Amnesia can be undone by sufficiently powerful dispelling or Break Enchantment-type effects, or suppressed by an AMF, while Mindrape is just the way things are now. For most applications where you want to alter somebody's memory you can use Amnesia, but if you're trying to acquire fanatically loyal bodyguards to take on adventures with you, you want the certainty of Mindrape.

Bayar
2009-09-10, 01:34 PM
The most significant, rules-wise, is that Amnesia is Permanent and Mindrape is Instant. That means Amnesia can be undone by sufficiently powerful dispelling or Break Enchantment-type effects, or suppressed by an AMF, while Mindrape is just the way things are now. For most applications where you want to alter somebody's memory you can use Amnesia, but if you're trying to acquire fanatically loyal bodyguards to take on adventures with you, you want the certainty of Mindrape.

Or to kill someone by mindraping a commoner.