PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the NEMESIS system?

Ellye
2009-09-10, 12:31 PM
http://www.nemesis-system.com/what-is-nemesis.html

I found this 2006 free RPG system in a pretty random way (I was half-bored so I decided that I would google the name of the illustrator of Greater Werewolf (http://magiccards.info/5e/en/28.html), a pretty random old card from mtg - yes, I do this kind of random stuff - and turned out that he's a game designer with a fairly robust portfolio).
Coincidentally, I've been reading HP Lovecraft stories recently, so I got interested in it.

I haven't read all the details in the book, but it seems to be a decent game. I dislike the Storyteller-esque use of a thousand d10s, but at least the frequency of rolls is supposed to be even lower. Seems to me like a good reincarnation of the now-old Call of Cthulhu RPG, since the D20 Call of Cthulhu honestly didn't appeal to me.

Anyone tried this out already? Any impressions to share?

Raum
2009-09-10, 07:22 PM
Afraid not...I do like a lot of what I've seen regarding the ORE system though. The handful of dice may be a bit of a PITA, but you're deciding several things with that one roll. If you succeed, how well you succeed, how fast you accomplish it, etc. In combat there's no initiative then attack then damage rolls...those are all decided with one throw of the dice.

I've been slowly reading through Wild Talents (Supers genre ORE) pretty much because the system looked interesting. I just wish there more settings choices available. :)

Knaight
2009-09-10, 07:29 PM
Its really cool, but Godlike and Wild Talents are both better. If I remember correctly they both have a free partial version. ORE is a very innovative system.

Ellye
2009-09-11, 12:14 PM
Finished reading the book today. The ORE system looks really interesting, specially the combat part, so I'll try to also take a look in a more combat-oriented setting using this system.
My main problem with the ebook was the small amount of traits and spells presented (and it's kinda funny that a certain spell, rend flash, was mentioned multiple times during the ebook but isn't actually present in it).

Anyway, I look forward to actually trying this system. Seems at very least interesting.