PDA

View Full Version : Turn Coat

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-10, 12:52 PM
Ok, I finally finished this one. Butcher keeps getting better for every book, still.

Just wanted to say it, because I'm addicted to his books.:smallbiggrin:

Holocron Coder
2009-09-10, 07:41 PM
/concur :smallcool:

Worst part about the series is waiting a year for the next book :smallfrown:

KnightDisciple
2009-09-10, 07:43 PM

Truth.

Codex Alera only kind of helps; it comes out about 6 months apart from Dresden, but then you have to wait a year after that for each of those books to come out.:smallsigh:

warty goblin
2009-09-10, 09:02 PM

Only a year? Heh, real men wait at least five...

Seriously though, I keep meaning to try these. The only thing holding me back is I've not been historically all that fond of urban fantasy, or whatever magic-powers-in-the-modern-world-stories call themselves these days. However I've heard enough good things, I might just have to take the jump.

Lord Seth
2009-09-10, 09:19 PM

Seriously though, I keep meaning to try these. The only thing holding me back is I've not been historically all that fond of urban fantasy, or whatever magic-powers-in-the-modern-world-stories call themselves these days. However I've heard enough good things, I might just have to take the jump.I highly recommend them, but I should warn you that I personally found the first two books (especially the second) to not be as good as the rest of the series. So if you found them to be underwhelming, I should tell you that the third book is a big improvement over the second.

Of course, if you love the first and second books, then you'll just love the rest of the series even more.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-10, 09:20 PM
I highly recommend them, but I should warn you that I personally found the first two books (especially the second) to not be as good as the rest of the series. So if you found them to be underwhelming, I should tell you that the third book is a big improvement over the second.

Of course, if you love the first and second books, then you'll just love the rest of the series even more.

There is truth here. His style definitely improves as it goes on.

Personally, I think Summer Knight, Dead Beat, and Small Favor are just about my 3 favorites.

Ceridan
2009-09-10, 09:32 PM

Personally, I think Summer Knight, Dead Beat, and Small Favor are just about my 3 favorites.

Two words: White Night

KnightDisciple
2009-09-10, 09:52 PM
Two words: White Night

I love all his books. But...I have special like for the ones I mentioned.
I mean, zombie T-rex!

Krrth
2009-09-10, 09:55 PM

Seriously though, I keep meaning to try these. The only thing holding me back is I've not been historically all that fond of urban fantasy, or whatever magic-powers-in-the-modern-world-stories call themselves these days. However I've heard enough good things, I might just have to take the jump.

It's well worth reading. I mean, who doesn't love a literal Faerie Godmother, an Atheist Paladin with a holy sword (given to him directly by an archangel!), and a rather large dog named mouse.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-10, 09:57 PM
It's well worth reading. I mean, who doesn't love a literal Faerie Godmother, an Agnostict Paladin with a holy sword (given to him directly by an archangel!), and a rather large dog named Mouse.

Just so that we're being accurate.:smallwink:

Krrth
2009-09-10, 10:03 PM
Just so that we're being accurate.:smallwink:

True. He doesn't deny God exists, but he doesn't doesn't deny the he doesn't, either.

Lord Seth
2009-09-10, 10:16 PM
The initial conversation between Harry and Sanya (the aforementioned agnostic) was one of the funniest things in the series.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-11, 02:19 AM

Well it's only natural. Storm Front was his first published work after all. For a first book, it was great.

Also, Dead Beat is my favourite of all, the choice of steed gave me a nerdgasm all on it's own.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-11, 02:20 AM
True. He doesn't deny God exists, but he doesn't doesn't deny the he doesn't, either.

Well his favorite theory is that he is crazy and is seeing things. And rolls with it.

Back to Turn Coat though; it is clear the Jim has a long and well planned series in mind, but also with a clear end somewhere in the future; I know some people hate it when a series goes from a "case to case basis" to "long arching plot". I love it; if a world is detailed enough (and his is) it does not make sense that the world would be static.

Kane
2009-09-11, 09:14 AM
"Aren't [Russians] supposed to drink vodka?"
"Aren't wizards supposed to fly around on broomsticks?"
"Yeah, well, isn't Sanya a girls name?"

I love these books.

While Turncoat was awesome, I found it a bit dissapointing in that it resolves almost nothing, and just adds more questions/plothooks/stuff.

Turn Coat info:

Also, it seemed (a little) cheap, the way the badguy being mentioned for the past two or three books was some random dude he introduced in the same book he got offed in.

H. Zee
2009-09-11, 09:51 AM
The Dresden Files are the book equivalent of cocaine: Incredibly addictive, hugely enjoyable, cool in certain circles, but you wouldn't want to admit to liking it when in the company of a University lecturer.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-11, 11:41 AM
"Aren't [Russians] supposed to drink vodka?"
"Aren't wizards supposed to fly around on broomsticks?"
"Yeah, well, isn't Sanya a girls name?"

I love these books.

While Turncoat was awesome, I found it a bit dissapointing in that it resolves almost nothing, and just adds more questions/plothooks/stuff.

Turn Coat info:

Also, it seemed (a little) cheap, the way the badguy being mentioned for the past two or three books was some random dude he introduced in the same book he got offed in.

I don't think that is a disappointment. First of all this is, for being a book that just futhers the arching plot, very VERY good. As a standalone book it is very good too.
Second, regarding your spoiler, I think that is good. I would have been far more disappointed if...
...Jim had decided to sacrifice any of the great wizards we already knew about as the Big Bad.
Also, of course, the whole point of the plot is that there isn't one bad guy. There are many. All over. Who can you trust?

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-13, 02:04 PM
Just bought and finished Turn Coat within 24 hours of buying it. God damn you, Jim Butcher.
Good one, not my favorite. My favorites are Dead Rites, Proven Guilty and White Night, I think. Turn Coat had some excellent moments though.

I started Furies of Calderon and found it to be decent, but a bit generic. Worth reading in a bookstore or library, not really worth buying. Of course, the Dresden Files are so trashy I probably shouldn't think they're worth buying either. >_> But they're addictive.

industrious
2009-09-13, 02:25 PM
The traitor was mentioned in other books, though, even early on.

Melayl
2009-09-13, 04:41 PM
One of the best series I've ever read. The man has a scary good gift. Turn Coat wasn't my favorite (although it really is hard to name a favorite), but was still hilarious.
Particularly the scene where Molly goes out to get information from the P.I. that was following Dresden...

KnightDisciple
2009-09-13, 05:14 PM
Just bought and finished Turn Coat within 24 hours of buying it. God damn you, Jim Butcher.
Good one, not my favorite. My favorites are Dead Rites, Proven Guilty and White Night, I think. Turn Coat had some excellent moments though.

I started Furies of Calderon and found it to be decent, but a bit generic. Worth reading in a bookstore or library, not really worth buying. Of course, the Dresden Files are so trashy I probably shouldn't think they're worth buying either. >_> But they're addictive.

Have you read beyond Furies? It gets better, trust me.:smallamused: