PDA

View Full Version : I have a character that I need help with, can anyone please help? (D&D)

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 03:47 PM
My stats are:
And I want to play an Elf Druid, with a dire badger animal companion.
We are starting at level 6.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 03:50 PM
I just need help with making the character.
I you have any input, please help me! :-)

BRC
2009-09-10, 03:52 PM
First of all, wait more than 3 minutes before double posting. This is a message board, not a chat room.

Second of all, put one of those 15's into Wisdom, the other into Con. the 14's into Cha, Int, and Dex. Put the 10 into Strength, if you need to hit things, you'll turn into a bear.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-10, 03:53 PM
1: Do not be an Elf. Or at the very least, either become a Dragonborn or play a variant Elf that doesn't take a Con (or Wis) penalty. Or both. But never pure-Elf.

2: Your feats should be:

Whatever
Whatever
Natural Spell
The rest don't matter that much.
No, seriously, they don't matter all that much. Just take metamagic to fill in the blanks, or the feat that gives you Nat Armor boosts.

3: Replace your Badger with a Brown Bear when you get the chance. Or a Dire Tiger. Either one works. The Badger is somewhat mediocre, but can survive up until that point (at which point you are going to need to replace him entirely or he'll just keep getting killed).

4: What else do you need help with? This is the easiest build to make, and even easier to play. Ask some more questions.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-10, 03:55 PM

Seriously, it would help immensely if you'd tell us exactly what you need help with. :smallconfused:

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 03:57 PM
k.......I don't have a sheet to put everything in right now, but i will write it down, thanx!!

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 03:58 PM
This is for 3.5.....just to tell you

Mando Knight
2009-09-10, 04:00 PM
Whatever
Whatever
Natural Spell
The rest don't matter that much.
No, seriously, they don't matter all that much. Just take metamagic to fill in the blanks, or the feat that gives you Nat Armor boosts.

First two feats (which really are kinda throwaway...) can easily be Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augmented Summoning... And one feat could be Improved Toughness...

darkblust
2009-09-10, 04:01 PM
You seem new...Welcome!:smallbiggrin:

You have 36 point buy(I know cause im in the campaign).Put a 17 in wis. and add your ability score from 4th level in it to make it a 18.Take 18 con -2 from elf.Put 12 in cha. and 11 in dex +2 is 13.

So you would have:

Str 8
Dex 13
Con 18
Int 8
Wis 18
Cha 12

Thats what i think,at least.I would play something other then an elf,beacause +2 dex wont affect you much,and con. is one of the more important skills for a druid.A dwarf or human,would be okay.

Bayar
2009-09-10, 04:04 PM
First two feats (which really are kinda throwaway...) can easily be Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augmented Summoning... And one feat could be Improved Toughness...

How about no ?

The first two work if you want to summon things all the time. A blaster or a wildshaper dont need those necessarily.

But every druid takes natural spell. The ones that dont take natural spell are laught out of the druidic stone cirles on druidic holidays.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 04:05 PM
k.......well, we are in Ebberon, and we are starting out with level 6 characters, so I can't really get much of a choice in seeing weather i should choose an animal companion yet, or if I should wait until I am higher level to get a better animal companion.

And if not an Elf, than what should I be???

I know that I want to be a Druid, so....I don't want a change in class.

Bayar
2009-09-10, 04:06 PM
Eberron ? Be a halfling. take a dinosaur animal companion since they are fair game in Eberron.

darkblust
2009-09-10, 04:09 PM
Halfling with dino seems effective...

Take an animal companion NOW!If you want a new one then let it die in battle,or abandon it.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 04:11 PM
well................everyone is telling me something different, and so this is all confusing to me!!! I don't know what to do!!!

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 04:13 PM
Which book has all the animal companions in it for all of the classes??

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-10, 04:14 PM
k.......well, we are in Ebberon, and we are starting out with level 6 characters, so I can't really get much of a choice in seeing weather i should choose an animal companion yet, or if I should wait until I am higher level to get a better animal companion.

And if not an Elf, than what should I be???

I know that I want to be a Druid, so....I don't want a change in class.

As I said: Dragonborn. Races of the Dragon. Costs 100 gp, but gives you +2 Con, -2 Dex (Con is more important than Dex for a Druid due to Wild Shape/Spells). You also get either a Breath Weapon or Blindsense (Flight isn't that useful to you seeing as you are starting at 6th level and have Wild Shape).

Do not multiclass or PrC. Oh wait, this is an Eberron campaign? What's the DM's stance on power level? If he's comfortable with "Game Breakingly Powerful", go Druid 10/Planar Shepherd 10. Either Eberron's Fire Plane (forgot the name), Xorait, or Dal Quor. Read up on the planes of existence.

Seriously, do not Multiclass for any reason.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 04:16 PM
Is Dragonborn in 3.5???

darkblust
2009-09-10, 04:18 PM
It says what animal companions you can use in players handbook under Druid.You can see the stats at the end of monster manual 1.There are also some in eberon campaign setting.

Stop double posting!:furious:

sofawall
2009-09-10, 04:19 PM
Advice: use the edit button, don't double post. Please.

Also, if people are all telling you different things, remember, it's your character, pick whatever you feel like.

That said, what books are available?

(We need PheonixInferno's posting guidelines over here. Nobody reads them anyway, but at least we can link them :P)

EDIT: Oh god the ninjas!

Take a Fleshraker companion. They're hilarious.

Goldfly
2009-09-10, 04:22 PM
The books available are:
All the Races
Complete Evrything
Both Tomes
All Core
All Eberron books
Monster Manual #

Pretty much everything, really.

I should probably point out that I'm the DM.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 04:23 PM
Also, I can't get a Dino until level 7!!!

Yes, Goldfly is the real DM of this campaign.

Eldariel
2009-09-10, 04:24 PM
Alright, few assumptions:
- You want to specifically play an Elf
- You have rolled those stats and can't adjust them

You also need to explain what books are allowed.

Anyways, your stats I'd place:

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 14
Wis: 15
Cha: 14

Then, be a Wild Elf [Monster Manual; they exist in Eberron IIRC]. This gets you the following adjustments:

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Int: 12
Wis: 15
Cha: 14

Then be Middle-Aged [Player's Handbook has age categories]. That gets you the following stats:

Str: 9
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 16
Cha: 15

You could be Old (which would be -2 more to all Physicals, +1 more to all Mentals), but Con under 14 is a bit of a pain. This would be pretty good overall. All your level-up points would go to Wisdom.

That would leave you with:

Str: 9
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 17
Cha: 15

or

Str: 7
Dex: 13
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 18
Cha: 16

depending on whether you decide on Middle-Aged or Old. Note that Wildshape enables you to counteract the Str/Dex issues. Con still determines your HP though, which is annoying.

Then, your feats don't matter aside from:
1. Whatever
3. Whatever
6. Natural Spell

On levels 1 and 3, you can take Augment Summoning if you intend on summoning animal companions, Natural Bond [Complete Adventurer] if you intend on boosting your animal companion, Extend Spell if you plan on buffing or Ashbound if you like summoning or some such.

For your animal companion, well, Dire Badger is a level 4 choice. You'd get 3 levels of adjustments. It's a bit on the weak side as far as companions go, but the Rage helps. Still, it's on the low side of hit dice. Natural Bond would help with this a bit.

EDIT: How strong do you want to be? That determines a lot.

darkblust
2009-09-10, 04:25 PM
Apes seem good.And you would have a buddy:smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-10, 04:27 PM
Is Dragonborn in 3.5???

Yes it is. Fleshraker too, but the DM may hit you for using it. Monster Manual 3 (not the Core MM, it was printed shortly before the Eberron Campaign Setting was).

darkblust
2009-09-10, 04:30 PM
Funny thing,are dm loves dragonborn

Goldfly
2009-09-10, 04:31 PM
With your original idea, I'd go
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Wis:16(+1 Because of level)
Int:14
Cha: 10
You may want to take Natural Spell, at the least, due to the useful ability to cast spells while wild-shaped it will provide.Natural Bond(Complete Adventurer) Would be a great choice as well.
As for Race, Human is always a good choice.Dwarf can make for an interesting and powerful Druid aswell.
With the amount of money you have, get a Periapt Of Wisdom +2.+2 to Wisdom is great for any Druid.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 05:22 PM
Goldfly................I don't wnat to spend all of my money like you do!!!

So I will ask the question, does anyone have any idea on which items I should take???

Oh, and how much money do I have Goldfly???

Goldfly
2009-09-10, 05:26 PM
13000.And a Periapt of Wisdom costs 4000, and is pretty much a must have.

Zaccino
2009-09-10, 05:50 PM
WOW!!!! That is alot of money for 6th level!!! Thanx!!

Anyone have any more ideas on what items i should get???

Eldariel
2009-09-10, 05:57 PM
WOW!!!! That is alot of money for 6th level!!! Thanx!!

Anyone have any more ideas on what items i should get???

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell is very useful (to use with your buff spells). Also, obviously anything that boosts your Constitution, as well as eventually Monk's Belt (to use your Wisdom for AC) or Dragonhide Full-Plate Mail with the "Wild"-enchantment that allows it to provide you with Armor-bonus while Wildshaped.

Wild is a +3 property though so a +1 Wild Dragonhide Full-Plate would cost in the neighbourhood of 20000 so that will have to wait. Monk's Belt is 13000 so you'll have to wait on that one too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-09-10, 06:09 PM
Character wealth for starting higher than 1st level is in the DMG on page 135, it says at 6th level you'll start with 13,000 gp. You'll want Wilding Clasps from the Magic Item Compendium for your magical gear, so it will continue to function when you're Wild Shaped. One of your most important items will be a Monk's Belt, which adds your Wisdom bonus to your AC when unarmored including when in animal forms. Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend Spell are also great to have for buffs or certain offensive spells such as Creeping Cold. A Circlet of Rapid Casting in the MIC is also extremely useful. Other than that, the typical Periapt of Wisdom and other generic stat and defense items should fill in any gaps. Just keep in mind that since you'll need an expensive Wilding Clasp for every important item, you're better off with a few really big items rather than a lot of little ones. MIC page 234 details what effects can be added to other items without incurring the +50% cost that's normal for having multiple effects on one item. For example, you can add a Wisdom bonus to a Circlet of Rapid Casting rather than having two separate items. The Armor/Mantle/Ring of the Beast from Complete Champion are also fairly necessary items, and keep in mind that with Wild armor (including Armor of the Beast) you're not counted as wearing armor when Wild Shaped, so a Monk's Belt will still grant your Wis bonus to AC.

For your race, maybe go with a Wild Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#wildElf) from the Monster Manual (replaces -2 Con with -2 Int), since Con is one of your more important stats. You should also take a look at the Killoren in Races of the Wild, they're a very unique and interesting race and are especially fitting for a Druid character.

The feats I'd definitely take Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer at either level 1 or 3. The 'level +3' bonus to your animal companion can be added after the 'level -3' penalty for having a more powerful companion, so you'll come out counting your entire druid level for its extra HD and other benefits. Natural Spell at level 6 isn't negotiable. For your other feat at either 1 or 3 I'd either get Magic of the Land from Races of the Wild with a Killoren and use Aspect of the Ancient, or get Companion Spellbond from PHB2 for more efficient buffing on your companion. At level 9+ I'd probably go for Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, and Persistent Spell in that order. Your best choices for an animal companion would be either a Fleshraker dinosaur from MM3, or a Dire Eagle from Races of Stone. Both are 'level -3' companions, so Natural Bond will allow you to count your full Druid level for their extra HD and other benefits. At every 3rd HD your companion gains another feat, either one should definitely get Mage Slayer from Complete Arcane, a Fleshraker should get Power Attack and Leap Attack, a Dire Eagle should get Improved Flight in Races of the Wild.

Good spells to prepare include Enrage Animal (without concentrating for more duration), Entangle, Produce Flame, Creeping Cold (rod of extended), Barkskin, Venomous Volley (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-Druid.pdf) if you have a Fleshraker, Splinterbolt, Ice Lance, Greater Magic Fang (rod of extended, +1 to all on your companion), Sleet Storm, Arc of Lightning, Ice Storm, Animal Growth, with a few Cure spells thrown in if you don't have Magic of the Land, and keep the best Summon Nature's Ally choices handy. At level 9+ with a Ring of the Beast you can cast a Summon Nature's Ally III to get 1d3 Lions (or IV to get 1d4+1), then on the following round cast Animal Growth on all of them and your animal companion and just sit back and let them destroy the encounter.