PDA

View Full Version : Please delete

Jergmo
2009-09-10, 04:41 PM
This involves some variant character building options. Say "Sucks to the standard fighter skill set!" and go with a stealthier finesse-build of, say...Balance, Bluff, Hide, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Survival, and Tumble. I just went with Survival because the character I have in mind has a Sherwood-forest like settlement. The stealth part can also be skipped, I guess, but it helps with the other part of the deal, the variant that allows a fighter to sacrifice bonus feats for Sneak Attack progression.

Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Combat Expertise, and Defensive Strike. Defensive Strike, after a successful avoidance of attack while using the Total Defense action, gives you a +4 bonus on your next attack roll.

5 ranks in Balance and full ranks in Sense Motive, and the character will rarely be flat-footed, 5 ranks in Tumble and Total Defense increases to +6 dodge.

+6 from Total Defense
+ Armor bonus
+ Improved Combat Expertise bonus
/etc.

Now, arm your fighter with a greatsword.
Improved Disarm: +4
Two-handed weapon: +4
Defensive Strike +4

You have a good chance of avoiding your opponent's initial attacks, followed by a good chance of disarming them, after which, you can apply your sneak attack bonus to your heart's content.

Keld Denar
2009-09-10, 04:46 PM
What is the point of this post? Are you trying to build a character? If so, please post what your proposed build is, level by level. If you are trying to seek advice optimizing a character, please post books allowed, level range anticipated, possible party members, and any misc houserules.

That said, there are ways to make good, finesse based fighter characters. Most of them involve varying degrees of Tome of Battle. Others generally involve an investment in rogue levels. Still others use both.

So yea...whats your point?

EDIT:
The defensive game is kinda...blah. Generally you can't get your AC up high enough to make yourself really resiliant. Spending one full round doing nothing (full defensive) just to get a little extra damage is generally a bad idea too. Even if you can make yourself unhittable, that just means that things will go around you (unless you can stop them) and beat up your friends. Then they'll come back and grapple you, or use some other way to get past your defenses (like magic). Better off killing it before it gets to the wife and kids, eh? Or using real control like Standstill or Improved Trip. Unless you are fighting primarily in 5' hallways, its not really that hard to get around a person if you REALLY want to.

Kylarra
2009-09-10, 04:49 PM
I guess the only fighter things I'm getting out of this is greatsword and higher BAB. The whole skill swapping + sneak attack = rogue.

Jergmo
2009-09-10, 04:57 PM
The point was to introduce a character that could quickly make an opponent nigh-helpless and then be able to obliterate them...

Darrin
2009-09-10, 05:00 PM
The point was to introduce a character that could quickly make an opponent nigh-helpless and then be able to obliterate them...

Wizard 20, then.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-10, 05:01 PM

How do you plan on accomplishing this?

Jergmo
2009-09-10, 05:01 PM
Wizard 20, then.

*Facepalm* Oh, forget it.

Glimbur
2009-09-10, 05:04 PM
You have a good chance of avoiding your opponent's initial attacks, followed by a good chance of disarming them, after which, you can apply your sneak attack bonus to your heart's content.

Two problems I'd like to point out. One, you can't sneak attack someone just because they don't have a weapon. Two, you will fight many things you cannot disarm. Some of them are Giants, many of them have natural weapons.