PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with some NWoD characters of mine

DJDizzy
2009-09-10, 05:49 PM
Hey, I need some comments and critique on some characters I have cooking up for V:tR chronicle with some V:tM elements mixed in.

First http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=145415

Circle of the Crone are the sabbat in my local clubs chronicle.

Delaney Gale
2009-09-10, 06:10 PM
Hey, I need some comments and critique on some characters I have cooking up for V:tR chronicle with some V:tM elements mixed in.

First http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=145415

Circle of the Crone are the sabbat in my local clubs chronicle.

How modern is this Chronicle? What's the "concept" of the Chronicle?

The only thing I see right off the bat is "you need a katana". However, I'm going to advise against the katana entirely. There was a long-running joke in our chronicle from the book/knife store owning Gangrel. "I carry katanas, but those aren't real. That's mass-produced **** from the Ukraine." Katanas are pretty badass but you might want to consider something that's a little easier to get a hold of, like a switchblade. Also, I don't know how old Jared is, but with a name like Jared, he probably wasn't exposed to serious katana fighting in life, and vamps aren't too good about changes.

satorian
2009-09-10, 06:24 PM
Eh, he has resources 3. He can probably afford a katana and afford to have one found for him if it's tough to find a real one. Also, he has 2 desert eagles, so I imagine it's modern day.

You might want to consider either being a brawler OR a weapons guy. That way, you can beef up the one you want to focus on at character creation, when it costs less to get higher dots. While you do that, you might want to min/max your physicals a little more for the same reason. Your skills n stuff look fine for a "hunter" concept. Hm. You really need resources that high? You might want to spend those points on something supernatural, or maybe contacts. Otherwise, sure, looks OK. There isn't much detail in the mechanical side of WoD character creation. If you want to min/max, put your dots high for efficiency in as many places as you can. Otherwise, do what fits your concept, which it seems you have done (for as little as I know about your concept).

Delaney Gale
2009-09-10, 06:31 PM
Eh, he has resources 3. He can probably afford a katana and afford to have one found for him if it's tough to find a real one. Also, he has 2 desert eagles, so I imagine it's modern day.

I still wouldn't specialize in a specific archaic weapon in a modern-day chronicle unless character called for it... like my Prussian who will probably stick with academic sabre and single-shot dueling pistol until Final Death.

Oh, and on the Desert Eagle note, some sort of subtle weapon.

Are you going to be expected to move yourself around a city in your setting? If so, how about a motorcycle or a car? You don't necessarily need dots in Drive, but keep in mind that a tank of gas lasts a lot longer than Celerity.

Semidi
2009-09-10, 06:31 PM
First, out of armory, desert eagles are resources 5 and dice mod 4 I believe, second, Unseen sense is mortal only, and finally, how much XP are you allowed to put on the sheet and do you want your character min-maxed (because I can)?

You obviously have character XP (if you use standard Character Creation Rules), but don't have it listed.

Edit:

Some notes on Vampires:

Vampires know that guns don't work great against other vampires. Many, many of them get and learn how to use edged weapons. This character is BP 2, meaning he's been around long enough to have figured this out.

Delaney Gale
2009-09-10, 06:51 PM
Vampires know that guns don't work great against other vampires. Many, many of them get and learn how to use edged weapons. This character is BP 2, meaning he's been around long enough to have figured this out.

True enough :) I guess it helps that in our modern chronicle, our weapons were mostly aimed at mortal police, and also hobos.

comicshorse
2009-09-10, 07:45 PM
in our modern chronicle, our weapons were mostly aimed at....... and also hobos.

Hobbos the fearsome foe of Vampires through the ages:smallsmile:

NeoVid
2009-09-11, 12:10 AM
Hey, twin Desert Eagles and a katana is the oWoD uniform!

Anyway, as a WoD optimizer, I instantly spotted wasted points: Fighting Finesse won't help your dice pool, since your character's Str and Dex are the same.

If you want to be good at killing other vamps, you'd be better off with Two Weapon or Knife Fighting fighting styles, which would also cost less dots total. To be really deadly with a gun, you're best off going for Combat Marksmanship style.

Weapons that are more believable and practical to own are usually a good thing in WoD, also. Keeping a couple of good quality knives on hand and a machete in the car would do you more good against other vamps than some really bulky and neighborhood-waking guns. If your character has the twenty grand or the connections to get a real katana, it's going to be worth as much as a symbol as it is a weapon.

DJDizzy
2009-09-11, 01:32 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and critique guys! Our ST has ruled that firearms deal lethal damage versus vamps unless a bulletproof vest is worn. The reason I took fighting finesse is that I need it in order to get the bonus from praestantia on weaponry.

Revlid
2009-09-11, 05:32 AM
Really? Lethal? :smallconfused:
That cuts down on the human/vamp toughness divide quite a bit.

Anyway, for a melee weapon I generally go for anything other than a katana - a machete, a swordcane, duel-khukris at one point, all sorts. Just trying to avoid cliche. Mostly shorter-bladed stuff, to aid concealment, although I had a Ventrue with a jian once.

DJDizzy
2009-09-11, 04:27 PM
Well, we have a ventrue viking bloodline thingy, with a giant sword, so sublety is pretty much out of the window

Crowbar
2009-09-11, 06:09 PM
I'd definitely give that character some kind of melee weapon. What do you do when the guns run out of ammo?