PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Supplements for 4e

Crow
2009-09-10, 07:11 PM
Our group gave 4e a try for quite a few sessions a while back but ended up giving it up and going back to 3.5 for various reasons. I have been staying mostly on top of a good deal of the new stuff that WotC has been putting out for 4e lately, and a lot of it seems like basically more of the same with a few different details.

What I was wondering, is if there were any good 3rd-party supplements that expand on 4e in a good way, or add some interesting new material that isn't just "more of the same". Anybody know of anything good out there?

Crow
2009-09-11, 02:16 AM
So I guess nobody here has really tried any then, eh? Quite a bummer.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-11, 03:33 AM
What I was wondering, is if there were any good 3rd-party supplements that expand on 4e in a good way, or add some interesting new material that isn't just "more of the same". Anybody know of anything good out there?
The only ones I'm aware of are Mongoose's Quintessential series (Quint. Fighter, Quint. Wizard, stuff like that). I've paged through them and found them similar to Martial Power and Arcane Power, except that WOTC material is simply of higher quality.

Word on the internet has it that all Mongoose books (regardless of system) are poorly balanced - however much credence you would like to give to "word on the internet".

Burley
2009-09-11, 06:37 AM
-however much credence you would like to give to "word on the internet".

Eh... I don't believe that. I mean, you probably heard that the internet wasn't credible on the internet.
Oh, that's right, Kurald. I say "Nay."
Bam.

I'm sorry...

Also: No, I haven't seen any non-WotC 4e material worth getting. I saw a couple things online, but they looked like somebody just printed their own stuff on their mom's computer and used Photoshop to make the info picture seem glossy.

Don the Bastard
2009-09-11, 06:56 AM
The Venture 4th Warlock Pacts have been working fairly well in my RL group, they don't seem overpowered just flavorful, Goodman games Scythe and Shroud is not bad either, it outlines rules for necromancer and assassin and the like.

KaganMonk
2009-09-11, 08:06 AM
4th Ed. isn't really built to be anything but 'more of the same'. There are some interesting mechanics with a few of the classes, such as the Barbarian and the Summoner Wizard, and the Psions might have something interesting when they come out next year, but it seems like it would be hard to get anywhere near the variety you have with 3.5.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-11, 08:16 AM
4th Ed. isn't really built to be anything but 'more of the same'. There are some interesting mechanics with a few of the classes, such as the Barbarian and the Summoner Wizard, and the Psions might have something interesting when they come out next year, but it seems like it would be hard to get anywhere near the variety you have with 3.5.

On one hand, that does make it easier to produce material. On the other hand, with so much similarity, there's no reason to buy any of it.

TheEmerged
2009-09-11, 02:28 PM

They've got something different cooked up for Psions all right, the playtest material is already available.

And just because they haven't pushed the power method yet doesn't mean you can't. I've already seen some interesting (fan-made) methods for using different resource methods for powers than the at-will/encounter/daily setup being thrown around, they just aren't polished enough for print yet.

Sipex
2009-09-11, 02:34 PM
Word on the internet has it that all Mongoose books (regardless of system) are poorly balanced - however much credence you would like to give to "word on the internet".

But...technically your opinion is "word on the internet" so if he takes it to heart then he's...augh my brain :(

Indon
2009-09-11, 02:36 PM
They've got something different cooked up for Psions all right, the playtest material is already available.

And just because they haven't pushed the power method yet doesn't mean you can't. I've already seen some interesting (fan-made) methods for using different resource methods for powers than the at-will/encounter/daily setup being thrown around, they just aren't polished enough for print yet.

I might be interested in this.

I mused a bit on trying to create a cooldown-based class structure (basically grifting the maneuver refresh method from NPC's and tweaking it a bit), but never refined it enough for play.

Yora
2009-09-11, 02:39 PM
Well, most philosophers would also say, that you should not trust their words. :smallbiggrin:

Take them as an oppinion which you should evaluate with your own thoughts and experience.