PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list?

shadow_archmagi
2009-09-10, 08:16 PM
So I'm running this game and one thing I wish my players would do is take an interest in items. I've been rolling for loot thus far, giving them a handful of random junk, but they havn't been doing anything with their gold, really. I guess the massive 300 page madness of the SRD's magic item list is intimidating or hard to read or something.

Also, they're longtime gamers and shorttime D&Ders. I think they're waiting for an Ocarina of Time style shop with various items at various prices.

So I think it would really help if I were to just provide them with a typical "THE ADVENTURE SHOP" place with a list of, say, 50 items or so.

So they're about to go off on an adventure to The Cold Peaks where they'll find the remains of an ancient civilization and plunder said remains, facing ancient traps and disturbing the slumber of long-dormant whatchamacallems, braving the icy winds and colder shoulders of the frost giants, etc.

So what should I put on the list?

Any book is fine, just make sure to cite your sources.

EDIT: Party consists of a large, core-only (besides the artificer) class swarm. Technically we have something like 15 people but between timezones and scheduling and some strange luck all games have had between 4-6 people (except for once)

Temet Nosce
2009-09-10, 08:21 PM
Belt of Healing (MiC)

Items of Resistance +x (DMG/various other)

Handy Haversack (DMG)

Bags of Holding (DMG)

Belt of Battle (MiC)

Belt of Magnificence +x (MH) (This may or may not be appropriate depending on wealth)

Items of stat boost +x (DMG)

Ring of Sustenance (DMG)

Metamagic Rods (DMG)

Various enchanted weapons/armor

shadzar
2009-09-10, 09:02 PM
Container of milk, a loaf of bread, and a stick of butter. (Don't forget to get the dry cleaning.)

Food, rope, animals, any item you wish to create to help them conquer the cold (socks of warmth [DR 10 heat])

Think of what you want them to see and have first and foremost that will interest them the most and be usefull for the game if it is only short term. Also don't be afraid the throw something crazy in to any one shot...it will be the last one the shop has on hand.

Yahzi
2009-09-11, 12:33 AM
Why restrict it to magic items? Sell them a castle or a longship!

Ye Olde Shoppe (http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/ye-olde-shoppe/7633581)

:smallbiggrin:

Darcand
2009-09-11, 01:32 AM
Do you have the MIC? I believe it has a few lists of items by level, rather then by price. Give them 10 from the level above thiers, 20 fromthiers, and 20 from the level below (or 20 from thier level and then 5each from other levels) Make a listof a few enchantments that they can get added to items also.

Doc Roc
2009-09-11, 01:35 AM
Feathered Wings, Fiend Folio
10k, Flight speed at 2x Move Speed. Hilarious downsides.

These have become almost de rigeur for the Test of Spite.

I'll second the belt of battle. MiC

At high levels, I keep a single rod of cancellation around.

Ring of Spell-battle. MiC
Buy this Item.

Dispelling cord. MiC.
Dirt cheap. A mage with no dispelling cord is a mage who doesn't have access to the MiC, or is begging for death.

Mask of Visual Insight. MiC
Concealment? What concealment?

Third Eye, Conceal. MiC.
Shut Up and (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0FLAXXvRU) Lam. (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/on+the+lam)