PDA

View Full Version : Too many games...but still not enough...

Grynning
2009-09-10, 11:06 PM
So, I'm currently playing in 4 different campaigns, 3 of them 4th edition D&D and one Star Wars Saga edition. I have 2 games a week, with one of the 4th ed games and the SWSE game switching off on Sundays and the other 2 4th ed games alternating on Mondays. Sounds like a lot, right? Well, it is, and keeping track of all my 4th ed characters can be difficult (I have to basically re-learn my tactics with each one every session, since at paragon level there's a fair amount of stuff to keep track of). Sometimes it really wears me out, but I like all the games, they're with some of my favorite people, we eat, we drink, we game, good times.

But...

For some reason lately I've been aching to play something different. Something old school and wacky like Rifts, or Traveller. I also keep thinking about things in 3.5 I always wanted to play but never got around to, like a Warblade, or a Wild-shape Ranger, or a Gestalt anything. I don't know why I have these urges...do I perhaps have some kind of incurable P&P addiction where I'm constantly seeking a new high? Why can't I just be satisfied with the great games that I'm in? And why would I want to punish myself and my (non-gaming) social life even further by getting involved in yet another game?

This forum being what it is, I'm sure there are a lot of people who know this feeling. How do you cope with your constant desire to try out new games and characters without going completely insane? Or have you gone ahead and slid into insanity and just game all the time? Share your thoughts, stories, etc.

Kylarra
2009-09-10, 11:12 PM
I'd kill to be in as many games as you've got going on. :smalltongue:

I usually squelch those weird urges by creating characters for fun and/or doing oneshots. PbP games are also good for non-resource intensive fun.

TheCountAlucard
2009-09-10, 11:23 PM
Share your thoughts, stories, etc.II'd probably try out a number of games, but since I'm typically the only one in my usual gaming group that wants to GM, I doubt that'd go over too well.

For pretty much the entire summer, I've been running 3.5 D&D every Friday night. It was only after I put my nostalgia pants on and thought of Shadowrun that I suggested my group play it, and even then, I didn't want to GM it.

I kinda worry that running more than one game would likely diminish the quality of both games... :smalleek:

LibraryOgre
2009-09-10, 11:30 PM
I'm also in four games... in four different systems. One is Palladium (with a couple rotating systems, based on who shows up), one is Pathfinder, one is Vampire: The Masquerade (where I am blood trash, at best), and is 4e (or "Hzurr's Wheel of Revolving Characters").

I am the only player in common between these four groups; my GM in Pathfinder is occasionally present for Vampire.

BobVosh
2009-09-10, 11:35 PM
I'm in 3 games (well...(I DM one of them)

Humorously we alternate on Sundays and Monday is our constant.

Every once in a while we have one shots. However mostly I solve my desires by reading through various books. Then I go bleh and play a video game of some sort.

rezplz
2009-09-10, 11:43 PM
I know exactly what you mean. :( Having just started to look at stuff outside of core (hell, I just read through PHB2, gonna read the complete series next) I'm suddenly finding myself wanting to play a bunch of different builds that I haven't done. But I also have this campaign idea that I want to DM... as it is, I've just been DMing one irl and I'm in two PbP, all DnD 3.5... but it's not enough. Pretty soon I might cave and join a bunch more PbP campaigns on these forums.

I mean, right now I want to try a beguiler, a sword and board knight, a grappling fighter, a bard, and a commoner. (Yeah, a commoner) So I'm just getting really frustrated with the lack of time, and my new job coming up soon... D:

Jlerpy
2009-09-11, 12:48 AM
Four?
If I count the one I'm running, I'm playing in seven campaigns:
-My secret-superheroes in an alternate history game, Worlds Apart (GURPS)
-A GURPS space opera game, Vanished Titan
-A game set in the world of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, run using Reign
-A Hackmaster campaign (unnamed)
-A Polaris game (it's pretty new, so we don't really have a name for it)
-A Legend of the Five Rings game (which has a name which I can't accurately remember; something like "the Many Roads")
-My family Ravenloft game (run by my father-in-law, played by my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, wife and myself; pretty cool), using Pathfinder.

I stay sane from having too many ideas by having them serially, so the next can distract me from how I never really did anything from the last. :D

Temet Nosce
2009-09-11, 07:20 AM
Just give in to them. I generally won't play in many multiples of the same system at the same time (learned my lesson from years ago when I somehow got convinced to DM nine games at once... I stopped DMing for years after that), but assuming I have a craving for another system I will be on a constant lookout for a way to play it.

Albeit this hasn't exactly helped in the case of some of my favorite systems (Nobilis, Amber, etc).